Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm experiencing a few issues with XBMC and I hope one of you guys can help me out with this.

Here's my setup:

I have a Zotac ZBOX AD04 in my living room hooked to the router via gigabit ethernet running OpenELEC 3.0.6. I have a 3TB HD hooked up via USB3 and it's in ext4 format.
I have a hefty gaming PC in my office connecting to the same network via wifi, running Windows 8. I have MySQL installed on this machine and am using MySQL for my video library. Everything there works fine. I have the latest stable XBMC installed on this machine.
I also have an Apple TV 2 in my bedroom running the latest stable XBMC as well, also hooked up to the network via wifi.

Files are shared from the OpenELEC box via SMB and all of my video sources exist on the external 3TB drive hooked to it via USB3.

Occasionally while watching videos on the PC the video will freeze as if it's buffering, but I don't get any indication on the screen that it's buffering and when I look at the OSD (the info one, O key) it says the buffer is 100%, but the video still freezes. After about 20 seconds it kicks me back to the library listing and marks the video as watched completely.

Here is the XBMC log data for the incident but I'm not really able to figure out what's going on here. Could it be a poor wifi connection causing this activity? Could it be the fact that my media is on a USB drive instead of internal? I don't really know what to look for.

code:
13:43:48 T:6580 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: eof, waiting for queues to empty
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: closing audio stream
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: Closing audio stream
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::WaitUntilEmpty
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: Waiting for audio thread to exit
13:43:48 T:2460  NOTICE: thread end: CDVDPlayerAudio::OnExit()
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: Closing audio device
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: Deleting audio codec
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: closing video stream
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: Closing video stream
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::WaitUntilEmpty
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: waiting for video thread to exit
13:43:48 T:6580   ERROR: Got MSGQ_ABORT or MSGO_IS_ERROR return true
13:43:48 T:6580  NOTICE: thread end: video_thread
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: deleting video codec
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting demuxer
13:43:48 T:6124  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
13:43:48 T:5312  NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false
13:43:48 T:2340  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
13:43:48 T:2340 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player)::Put MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
13:43:48 T:2340  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
13:43:48 T:2340  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
13:43:48 T:7052  NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Le0 posted:

After your post I remembered something, in my box from my provider I actually have a small card in it that I guess let's my use the special channels I bought. How would I go about using this with a tuner?

I think cablecard requires that you use windows media center and a cablecard tuner.

Hyrax
Jul 23, 2004

I'm the Goon in the OP. Dispatch your messenger forthwith.
Cablecard itself doesn't explicitly require a WMC setup to use so long as your cable company isn't marking their channels copy-once. You should be able to call your cable company and they should be able to tell you which way their channels are flagged. Alternatively, if you're using one of the big-ish cable providers, you can probably google for that info, too. If they're marked copy-freely you can get a tuner from Ceton (InfiniTV) or Silicondust (HDHomeRun Prime) and use that for your TV backend (TVheadend or Myth or something) with XBMC's PVR addon. I'd expect premiums like HBO to be marked copy-once regardless of how all their other channels are flagged, though.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I am about ready to give up on this entire thing. Openelec randomly freezes on some files but plays others just fine. SMB shares randomly disappear, and sometimes I can get audio out over HDMI and sometimes I can't. I never had any of these issues on my Windows install with XBMC. I may just build a whole new system for this eventually.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I am about ready to give up on this entire thing. Openelec randomly freezes on some files but plays others just fine. SMB shares randomly disappear, and sometimes I can get audio out over HDMI and sometimes I can't. I never had any of these issues on my Windows install with XBMC. I may just build a whole new system for this eventually.

Three weeks ago you were running Windows 8 on your HTPC. If it was working so well, why did you switch? Are you running openelec on the same PC now or did you get something else?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

And are you sure you are using the right build? Something is wrong with your setup. The great thing is you can just unplug your usb drive! Or did you install OE on your hard drive?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I'm having issues with OpenElec as well. I have the same set of problems as Rubiks Pubes, even from a fresh install. And I've also had problems with files that seem to "smear" as they play back, but if I play them back on my Windows through MPC-HC, I don't have that same issue.

It's a little frustrating. :(

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ixian posted:

Is that for a NUC? Because a 2.5 drive won't fit in one, it uses mSata, which are small (think big SODIMMs) and expensive. That, and the fact that OpenElec runs just fine off one, is why you use a small USB thumb drive instead. Otherwise pony up $60 or so for a small Crucial or Intel mSata drive, Amazon has them.

If you've never seen one in person, you might be surprised at how small the NUC is. It's tinier than the Mac Mini, even - almost as small as an Apple TV.

Any USB flash drive would work for this? How much space would I need? I think buying an SSD is too expensive/overkill for just playing vids.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Le0 posted:

Any USB flash drive would work for this? How much space would I need? I think buying an SSD is too expensive/overkill for just playing vids.

Ant USB flash drive would work, 4gb would probably work but aim for 8-16gb. And yes, an SSD for just playing vids is totally overkill.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

DarkSol posted:

I'm having issues with OpenElec as well. I have the same set of problems as Rubiks Pubes, even from a fresh install. And I've also had problems with files that seem to "smear" as they play back, but if I play them back on my Windows through MPC-HC, I don't have that same issue.

It's a little frustrating. :(
That does suck, are you using the right build for your hardware? Also make sure hardware decoding is on.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Three weeks ago you were running Windows 8 on your HTPC. If it was working so well, why did you switch? Are you running openelec on the same PC now or did you get something else?

I was only using it for XBMC, had some issues with file corruption after a power outage and decided I would try one of the dedicated builds. I am using the Generic build since there is not a specific one for 64 bit AMD. I followed several suggestions on the OpenElec site including adding radeon.audio=1 to the configuration files. Can't get audio out over HDMI at all. Rolled back from 3.1.3 (where I had audio but got the same crashes) to 3.0.3 (stable) thinking the beta status might be the issue. No love.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Is there a way to display episode numbers for TV shows? Everything scrapes fine, along with the episode names, but they are sorted by episode name rather than the order they aired in.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

kloa posted:

Is there a way to display episode numbers for TV shows? Everything scrapes fine, along with the episode names, but they are sorted by episode name rather than the order they aired in.

Are you using the library? It sounds like you're browsing your media by the filesystem.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Horn posted:

Are you using the library? It sounds like you're browsing your media by the filesystem.

e: Disregard. I think the skin I was using didn't have a "view by: episode" option.

I switched skins, enabled the view by episode, and switched back to the skin I wanted and now it works. :ms:

kloa fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 23, 2013

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

kloa posted:

Sorting troubles.

Sounds like you've unintentionally changed sort order, episode number is the default. In your TV show library there should be a side pane or some kind of hidden menu where you can revert the setting.

Edit: what skin was that? Sorting is governed by XBMC itself so every skin should have the option...

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Keito posted:

Sounds like you've unintentionally changed sort order, episode number is the default. In your TV show library there should be a side pane or some kind of hidden menu where you can revert the setting.

Edit: what skin was that? Sorting is governed by XBMC itself so every skin should have the option...

The "Ace" skin and I looked everywhere for it for like 15 minutes. I switched to nbox or something and it was right there to change :(

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

kri kri posted:

That does suck, are you using the right build for your hardware? Also make sure hardware decoding is on.

Yep, I'm using the ION build. And I think VDPAU is enabled. Where should I check to find it?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

DarkSol posted:

Yep, I'm using the ION build. And I think VDPAU is enabled. Where should I check to find it?

What's your HTPC motherboard/cpu ?

I've found on a couple of occasions that the generic build works better for some hardware even if there is a specific build available for that hardware, it's worth checking out anyway as you can just install it on a usb and live boot to see.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Sendo posted:

What's your HTPC motherboard/cpu ?

I've found on a couple of occasions that the generic build works better for some hardware even if there is a specific build available for that hardware, it's worth checking out anyway as you can just install it on a usb and live boot to see.

I have an Acer Aspire Revo AR3700-U3002. And yeah, I'll try that! :)

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
Has anyone had volume issues with Airplay videos? It seems like any YouTube video or any other vid sent from my phone to XBMC is extremely quiet. I'm using Yatse to send the videos from my Galaxy S3, but my wife has the same problem with her iPhone. I've tried the Airplay option as well as the "Send to XBMC" option, both need me to crank the volume in order to hear anything.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

GateheaD posted:

My ODroid-U2 arrived, using XBMC Android on it with my network file server/ SQLBackend. Pretty good.

3watts of power being used, 720p is playing fine.

Need to workout a way to force it to cache thumbs and fanart locally, it seems to struggle with the first time displaying them, dont really want to flip through every movie to create the cache.

Using the Xperience1080p skin too, seems great.

Will try and convince a linux friends to compile openelec for it though, I have a feeling without all the 'android bloat' I wont have a single problem with it.

Are you running from an emmc?
I don't have any issues with fanart etc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking for something to replace my aging original Xbox for XBMC and emulators; what are my best options? It would have to have composite output so I can hook it up to most TVs. The OUYA looked promising until I read the thread in Games so I think I'm going to give it a pass. The Gbox looks solid but I was wondering if there was anything better out there?

http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-MX2-Android-Streaming/dp/B00CH643A8/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Composite? even my grandparents tv has hdmi.

If you didn't need composite id recommend a zotac adxx

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

Composite? even my grandparents tv has hdmi.

If you didn't need composite id recommend a zotac adxx

If I wanted HDMI I'd just get a netbook.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Rutibex posted:

If I wanted HDMI I'd just get a netbook.

So why don't you? If you want to play emulators later than maybe Sega Genesis you're going to need processing power of some kind anyway. Also HDMI is completely standard these days, including on Raspberry Pis and other such options.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

berzerker posted:

So why don't you? If you want to play emulators later than maybe Sega Genesis you're going to need processing power of some kind anyway. Also HDMI is completely standard these days, including on Raspberry Pis and other such options.

I already have a netbook. I want something to replace my old Xbox that can connect to 100% of TVs I encounter rather than like 40% that have HDMI ports. I travel a lot this isn't going to just sit in my basement. I'd also like to maybe get a few for my nephews for christmas who only have old TVs.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 25, 2013

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

berzerker posted:

Also HDMI is completely standard these days, including on Raspberry Pis and other such options.
RPi also has composite video though :v:

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Rutibex posted:

I already have a netbook. I want something to replace my old Xbox that can connect to 100% of TVs I encounter rather than like 40% that have HDMI ports. I travel a lot this isn't going to just sit in my basement. I'd also like to maybe get a few for my nephews for christmas who only have old TVs.

So why doesn't your netbook work? Serious question, as this seems to be a strange niche to me you're asking for - not the device you have that would work, but instead an additional thing that would also do basically that but less well. Literally 100% of HDTVs have HDMI inputs, so you're looking at truly old TVs that don't. Maybe get one of these for those that don't? http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Universal-Composite-Converter-Standard/dp/B0080KN18K

There's a new Chrome USB thing, but any TV lacking HDMI surely won't have USB.

I think you're basically looking at an RPi or just watching TV on your netbook if you're on the road somewhere that the hotels don't have HDMI-ready TVs, and otherwise using the same netbook via HDMI. Maybe there are other options, but none I know of, especially since a lack of modern TVs doesn't bode well for the WIFI speed in terms of streaming for options like a Roku or WDTV.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Can someone just flat out tell me if my idea makes any sense?

I know the thing to do is have a NAS and then set it up as a share and have an HTPC (with xbmc) pointed at that share and viola.

But, I don't feel like having two computers in my house for the sole purpose of watching stuff so..

Is it possible to have an appropriately powerful pc (with enough RAM and an HD decoding graphics card) running WSH11 (with drive pooling of several HDs to make one huge HD) AND run XMBC off that same computer? Baically, connect the NAS to the TV directly (via HDMI out) and run XMBC right there on the same WSH11 serving as a nas?

Is this feasible? Is it dumb?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

berzerker posted:

So why doesn't your netbook work? Serious question, as this seems to be a strange niche to me you're asking for - not the device you have that would work, but instead an additional thing that would also do basically that but less well. Literally 100% of HDTVs have HDMI inputs, so you're looking at truly old TVs that don't. Maybe get one of these for those that don't? http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Universal-Composite-Converter-Standard/dp/B0080KN18K

There's a new Chrome USB thing, but any TV lacking HDMI surely won't have USB.

I think you're basically looking at an RPi or just watching TV on your netbook if you're on the road somewhere that the hotels don't have HDMI-ready TVs, and otherwise using the same netbook via HDMI. Maybe there are other options, but none I know of, especially since a lack of modern TVs doesn't bode well for the WIFI speed in terms of streaming for options like a Roku or WDTV.

That converter looks kind of irritating to use; it needs it's own power supply and apparently from the reviews it's kind of crap shot as to what it will support. This is what I am after: a small, simple, cheap box with a composite out and some USB ports to play SNES games or maybe some N64/PS1 and watch movie files. Does anyone have experience with such things? I know they exist there are tons of them on Amazon but they all look kind of flimsy. Is there anything better than the OUYA or Gbox that I linked earlier?

I need it to be cheap and simple, I'm looking to set up a bunch for some kids.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Can someone just flat out tell me if my idea makes any sense?

I know the thing to do is have a NAS and then set it up as a share and have an HTPC (with xbmc) pointed at that share and viola.

But, I don't feel like having two computers in my house for the sole purpose of watching stuff so..

Is it possible to have an appropriately powerful pc (with enough RAM and an HD decoding graphics card) running WSH11 (with drive pooling of several HDs to make one huge HD) AND run XMBC off that same computer? Baically, connect the NAS to the TV directly (via HDMI out) and run XMBC right there on the same WSH11 serving as a nas?

Is this feasible? Is it dumb?

Get a nas box instead of an entire computer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rutibex posted:

That converter looks kind of irritating to use; it needs it's own power supply and apparently from the reviews it's kind of crap shot as to what it will support. This is what I am after: a small, simple, cheap box with a composite out and some USB ports to play SNES games or maybe some N64/PS1 and watch movie files. Does anyone have experience with such things? I know they exist there are tons of them on Amazon but they all look kind of flimsy. Is there anything better than the OUYA or Gbox that I linked earlier?

I need it to be cheap and simple, I'm looking to set up a bunch for some kids.

There is no reason for manufacturers to spend the money to support composite. How about the wii?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Realtalk, the Raspberry Pi has Composite out, what's wrong with that? For under $50 you should be able to assemble a complete kit.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

Realtalk, the Raspberry Pi has Composite out, what's wrong with that? For under $50 you should be able to assemble a complete kit.

Doubt the pi is fast enough for ps1/n64 emulation.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Get a nas box instead of an entire computer.

Problem is I want a fuckton of drives. And I already was gifted a huge rear end case and have more or less enough stuff to build the PC.

Is my idea workable?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

There is no reason for manufacturers to spend the money to support composite. How about the wii?

I have 3 nephews and 2 nieces that love to play on my old modded Xbox and browse through the hundrads of thousands of ROMs whenever I come visit. They each have an old TV in their room. I would like to make each of them a customized "console" so that they can each have one for christmas. Cool splash screens/menus/backgrounds just for them, full collections of all the old games, etc. Getting a hold of 5 original xboxs is a pain so I figured I'd look into these android box things; I was just hoping someone had experience with them. I don't want to buy 6 (one for me too :v:) of something that's total crap.

Wii's have the distinct disadvantage of not coming with a full collection of games and don't support all the games for NES/SNES/N64 and don't support PS1/Atari 2600/Gameboy at all. I'm also not sure about this but I don't think they play video files.

FISHMANPET posted:

It's way to slow and doesn't have enough ports.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 25, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rutibex posted:

I have 3 nephews and 2 nieces that love to play on my old modded Xbox and browse through the hundrads of thousands of ROMs whenever I come visit. They each have an old TV in their room. I would like to make each of them a customized "console" so that they can each have one for christmas. Cool splash screens/menus/backgrounds just for them, full collections of all the old games, etc. Getting a hold of 5 original xboxs is a pain so I figured I'd look into these android box things; I was just hoping someone had experience with them. I don't want to buy 6 (one for me too :v:) of something that's total crap.

Wii's have the distinct disadvantage of not coming with a full collection of games and don't support all the games for NES/SNES/N64 and don't support PS1/Atari 2600/Gameboy at all. I'm also not sure about this but I don't think they play video files.

Then you are gonna have to build a loving htpc for each of them and find a video card that still has composite out.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Gozinbulx posted:

Problem is I want a fuckton of drives. And I already was gifted a huge rear end case and have more or less enough stuff to build the PC.

Is my idea workable?

You kinda have a 2 part question here. First is if XBMC will run on top of WHS. Unfortunately I can't really help on that one as I've never used WHS.

The 2nd part is what are the downsides of having an all in 1 box. I used to do this like 10 years ago with my first HTPCs using Windows XP, software raid 5, and different HTPC front ends.

The two big problems with all in 1 boxes are ones that some people may not care about, but they are highly noticeable to anyone who does care:
1) You have a huge, ugly box in your TV area
2) Generally speaking that box is going to be loud.

Fan and hard drive noise are absolutely enjoyment breakers for me for any kind of media consumption. I'm sure you could get it pretty darn quiet, but you will likely spend a lot more money than just have 2 separate boxes.

If you are willing to put the elbow grease into it, power is the only thing a dedicated NAS might save you over a file server. (But I'd really suggest looking in this thread because I don't think WHS is really what most folks recommend these days.

If you already have most the stuff for your fileserver, no reason not to set it up and try it I guess. Worst case is you realize it sucks and you spend another $50ish for a Raspberry Pi or something...

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Thanks you for the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Whether you use one or two boxes should really be determined by how you use the local content. I only watch video on my TV, so having a NAS would have been a waste as it would rarely be used when the TV wasn't on, but if I cared about watching films when taking a poo poo then I might have a different opinion.

If you have a lot of hard drives, invest in larger ones and consolidate your files. Then buy a decent sized case (I use the Silverstone LaScala LC17, which can take six drives) and buy quiet components - I have a BeQuiet! PSU, a Scythe Shuriken CPU cooler, Noctua NF-R8-PWM case fans and a passively cooled GFX card. It is almost completely silent when turned on without any hard drives connected; I actually can't hear it over the subwoofer humming.

The only source of noise was the drives and suspending them using bungee cord works wonders; I can just about hear them spinning up but not when they are being accessed. This takes up a bit more space (I use the two optical drive bays for two HDDs and I suspend one HDD vertically in each of the cages that could take two horizontally). The trade-off between storage capacity and noise is well worth it though - having the HDDs screwed into the cages is infuriatingly loud by comparison and definitely not suitable for the living room.

This does cost more than buying one of those HP microservers and a small box to go with the TV, but I think it's far handier to have everything in a single box behind the TV and it actually has the capacity to do more in the future (such as game emulation) if I want it to.