Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Roll the car into a lake and leave there for an hour or so.

I feel I have to say that i'm joking

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the 2011 movie Sanctum, the characters descend into a huge circular pit in the Papua New Guinea jungle. What is this kind of pit called?

In the 2012 movie The Dark Knight Rises, Bruce has to escape his underground prison by climbing a huge shaft that leads to the surface. What would this kind of shaft be called?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

KnifeWrench posted:

To the person who suggested putting on an elaborate show, it might work, but she's already mentioned taking it to a shop and making them find and kill the spider, show her the body, and making sure they video tape the whole process so they can't just find one in the warehouse and pass it off. She may have an irrational fear, but she's no dummy. She has already considered subterfuge.

Spiders are all around her all the time. There have probably been spiders in the car with her tons of times. Having seen it in this case doesn't change anything. If it's still there it's no more a problem than any of the spiders she didn't notice were. If it's gone, which it quite likely is, then there's no way anyone will be able to find and kill it.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

KnifeWrench posted:

Someone earlier made the claim that Black Widows are really tiny, and someone on Yahoo! Answers said they're "about the size of a pea" but http://www.ehow.com/how_2103507_identify-black-widow-spiders-home.html this article claims they're pretty much exactly the size I saw, for a female. Even if it's a "false black widow" (which I also learned was a thing while trying to figure this out), she is straight-up just scared of spiders and didn't like the look of this one.

To the person who suggested putting on an elaborate show, it might work, but she's already mentioned taking it to a shop and making them find and kill the spider, show her the body, and making sure they video tape the whole process so they can't just find one in the warehouse and pass it off. She may have an irrational fear, but she's no dummy. She has already considered subterfuge.

At this point, if it doesn't come back (I'm ironically hoping it does) I can probably prove that it's gone once I actually get time to dig around in the engine compartment. In the meantime, the car rarely gets used anyway (she bikes to work) which is probably why spiders started living in it in the first place.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

You could probably fumigate the car pretty easily, do you have a garage or really big plastic bag?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Tiggum posted:

Spiders are all around her all the time. There have probably been spiders in the car with her tons of times. Having seen it in this case doesn't change anything. If it's still there it's no more a problem than any of the spiders she didn't notice were. If it's gone, which it quite likely is, then there's no way anyone will be able to find and kill it.

Adding on to this, tell her that most likely she has had spiders crawl into her ears, nose & mouth when sleeping. :) Of course this is not true but most people believe it and who can resist a chance to freak out their wife/girlfriend?

KoB
May 1, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

IIRC, in Office 2007 and newer, those specific paste options are actually handled by Word for all Office products.

In Word, you can go to Options > Advanced and there is a section for Cut, Copy and Paste. The options there are either going to have you select Keep Source Formatting (Where you copied from) or Use Destination Style (Match Where you are pasting to).

You probably want the first option for Between Documents

I set everything to Keep just the Text, still isnt working, drat.

e: Specifically, I use a google doc form to gather info, then copy the info off the spreadsheet onto an excel sheet thats formatted for our advertisers.

KoB fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 24, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'll mail out black widow corpses for $20/ea if anyone needs one for some type of ruse. What'd be a good domain name for me?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Wagonburner posted:

I'll mail out black widow corpses for $20/ea if anyone needs one for some type of ruse. What'd be a good domain name for me?

http://www.averagespiderman.com/ is available

$20 seems a little steep for a single spider corpse unless it's in some Lucite paperweight

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

KoB posted:

e: Specifically, I use a google doc form to gather info, then copy the info off the spreadsheet onto an excel sheet thats formatted for our advertisers.
Its always worked the way you describe in my experience. If I need otherwise I right click, choose paste special, then pick formulas (or values.) That preserves the destination sheet formatting.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

As is http://www.widowmailer.com/, which probably wouldn't come with the same intellectual property risks.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Do Sirius/XM sports scores get updated on the display automatically via some sort of feed or is it some persons job to manually do that as the games progress?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

Sounds like google docs and excel aren't playing nice. Try copying from the google doc to a throwaway excel sheet, then copy from the throwaway sheet to the destination sheet using paste values. Yeah, it adds a step in there, but it may work.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

In the 2011 movie Sanctum, the characters descend into a huge circular pit in the Papua New Guinea jungle. What is this kind of pit called?

In the 2012 movie The Dark Knight Rises, Bruce has to escape his underground prison by climbing a huge shaft that leads to the surface. What would this kind of shaft be called?

I think they're simply called "pit caves."
The prison in Dark Knight is probably a prison built into a pit cave, but if it's totally manmade, then maybe it'd be called a shaft instead. But I think a "shaft" typically implies there's some kind of man-placed lining of wood/stone/metal.

edit: apparently the pit from the filming of Sanctum is actually in the world-famous Cave of Swallows in Mexico.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 24, 2013

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

Is there a fishing megathread? Should there be one?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Lawnie posted:

Sounds like google docs and excel aren't playing nice. Try copying from the google doc to a throwaway excel sheet, then copy from the throwaway sheet to the destination sheet using paste values. Yeah, it adds a step in there, but it may work.

Its still keeping the formatting, so it must be on Excell's end. I've been doing it this way for a year or two and it just started doing this yesterday, ugh.

Its not the end of the world but it adds in extra steps I wish it didnt need.:(

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Quadramind posted:

Is there a fishing megathread? Should there be one?

There's one in A/T

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480910

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

Thanks a bunch. I was looking around in the sports forum with no success.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I eat a lot of watermelon. Like, probably half of one a day. Am I putting myself at risk of anything? I know it spikes your blood sugar quite a bit, but I'm not sure how that affects the likelihood of diabetes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My mother's asked me to put in a good word for her at my employer for a job she applied for today (she's an admin assistant). Problem being I'm socially inept as hell, so I feel like I have to check on this. Are there any gotchas I should mind when I email/speak to the hiring manager? I don't want the referral to come off as me trying to do a favor (as opposed to me thinking she'd be good for the job--and she would be, I've no doubts there), but then given that I'm her son that might be impossible to avoid. Or does it even matter?

Jesus I'm so lame socially :saddowns:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Ciaphas posted:

Jesus I'm so lame socially :saddowns:

Obviously.

Hey, Mr. Hiring Manager Man/Woman- my mother put in an application today, and I'd like to vouch for her to get the job at whatever place this is that hires people who don't know how to interact with other human beings. I promise she is not as awkward as I am and may even make eye contact with you. Plus, she's a real hard worker and pushed my socially inept self out of her womb. Please let me know if you have any questions, but only by email, as I cannot talk to another person in real life. Ta!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Weirdly, it is $300 cheaper to buy a roundtrip ticket to China that departs from Vancouver with a layover in Seattle then it is to buy directly from SEA to China. Same airline and everything. My question is, if I purchase the roundtrip ticket that leaves from Vancouver - Seattle - Shanghai but miss my Vancouver flight and catch the Seattle flight, is that possible?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Busy Bee posted:

Weirdly, it is $300 cheaper to buy a roundtrip ticket to China that departs from Vancouver with a layover in Seattle then it is to buy directly from SEA to China. Same airline and everything. My question is, if I purchase the roundtrip ticket that leaves from Vancouver - Seattle - Shanghai but miss my Vancouver flight and catch the Seattle flight, is that possible?

No. Airlines take this into account. If you miss a part of the chain of flights all subsequent flights get cancelled.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've for a wired smoke detector that's making this strange electronic fart sort of sound every minute or so. Since it can't be low on battery, what's wrong?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

hooah posted:

I've for a wired smoke detector that's making this strange electronic fart sort of sound every minute or so. Since it can't be low on battery, what's wrong?

Wired smoke detectors often have a backup battery.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wired detectors have backup batteries. Did you check that?

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
What's the cheapest way to ship small things (hats, basketball jerseys, etc) stuff from America to China in a reasonable (two weeks or less) amount of time with a tracking number?

Using a shipping service (where we only use DHL since it's the cheapest) we're paying something like 28-34 dollars now a box now, but they're pretty fast (normally 4-6 days). Something a bit slower but with a tracking number is would be great since this is the cheapest I've found that provides tracking.

Any of you goons own/work at a shipping company that wants some business?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Can anyone recommend a short-ish read on the history of black people in the US from the civil war onward? Something like under 100 pages preferably. Maybe even a long article.
Before anyone says "are you kidding me?" I know this is an enormous topic with enough interesting/important content to fill a library. I've learned a lot of this stuff and I'm kind of looking for a brief refresher/overview. Something that recaps a lot of the major periods/themes ("periods" like post-civil-war, sharecropping, early 20th century labor movements, great migration, civil rights movement), milestones, things like that.

edited for language as per discussion below

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 25, 2013

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

alnilam posted:

Can anyone recommend a short-ish read on the history of blacks in the US from the civil war onward? Something like under 100 pages preferably. Maybe even a long article.
Before anyone says "are you kidding me?" I know this is an enormous topic with enough interesting/important content to fill a library. I've learned a lot of this stuff and I'm kind of looking for a brief refresher/overview. Something that recaps a lot of the major periods/themes ("periods" like post-civil-war, sharecropping, early 20th century labor movements, great migration, civil rights movement), milestones, things like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_history#Emancipation_and_Reconstruction and then keep reading down with the option of clicking any of the sections to go into slightly more depth/detail?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

alnilam posted:

Can anyone recommend a short-ish read on the history of blacks in the US from the civil war onward? Something like under 100 pages preferably. Maybe even a long article.

This reminds me of something I was wondering about, and although I think I know the answer I'd like some confirmation on it. I don't intent to call you out specifically, although it might be something you would like to consider/think about as well.

How acceptable is it to use the term 'blacks'? I've seen people (rightfully) probated in D&D for using the term 'browns', for obvious reasons (at least to me), but one of the more ardent Zimmerman supporters consistently posted in terms of 'blacks' and 'white people'. It seems to me that using the term 'blacks' (omitting 'people') is just as dehumanising as using the term 'browns', especially when contrasted with 'white people' where 'people' is definitely not omitted.

I'm from a country where blackface is a wholly acceptable and big part of one of our major holidays (Zwarte Piet and Sinterklaas), and our race relations and racism issues are wholly different from the US, so I'm just wondering if my instinct is correct and referring to black people as 'blacks' is a pretty big no-no.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Are there any good free Lumosity alternatives? I want a free brain training regimen but it seems like they are all subscription based.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Redkist posted:

Are there any good free Lumosity alternatives? I want a free brain training regimen but it seems like they are all subscription based.

They all ask for money because they're all scams. Just play some flash puzzle games on Newgrounds or something. They're essentially the same.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Douche4Sale posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_history#Emancipation_and_Reconstruction and then keep reading down with the option of clicking any of the sections to go into slightly more depth/detail?

How did I not think of wikipedia? Thanks.

Taeke posted:

This reminds me of something I was wondering about, and although I think I know the answer I'd like some confirmation on it. I don't intent to call you out specifically, although it might be something you would like to consider/think about as well.

How acceptable is it to use the term 'blacks'? I've seen people (rightfully) probated in D&D for using the term 'browns', for obvious reasons (at least to me), but one of the more ardent Zimmerman supporters consistently posted in terms of 'blacks' and 'white people'. It seems to me that using the term 'blacks' (omitting 'people') is just as dehumanising as using the term 'browns', especially when contrasted with 'white people' where 'people' is definitely not omitted.

I'm from a country where blackface is a wholly acceptable and big part of one of our major holidays (Zwarte Piet and Sinterklaas), and our race relations and racism issues are wholly different from the US, so I'm just wondering if my instinct is correct and referring to black people as 'blacks' is a pretty big no-no.

You'll get different answers depending on whom you ask, in the debate of "black" vs "African-American." Generally some people will consider "black" slightly offensive, but a lot of people (both black and white) use it, and I personally have a slight preference for it for a few reasons. As for the word people, now that you mention it, I agree with you that the word "people" should probably be in there in both cases, but I guess I was lazy? I would just as soon say "whites" and it's weird that that other poster consistently says "blacks" and "white people." But "Xs" versus "X people," I think you have a point there.

edit: now I see you weren't asking about "black" vs "african american" at all, but just the use of the word people. But I'll leave the stuff I said just because. Anyway I think you have a point, sorry.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 25, 2013

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Anyone know where this avatar is from?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

What happened to the internet dating/OKCupid thread in E/N?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
"Black people" is more acceptable. You might be tempted to use the term "African American," but that's falling out of favor, since most black people have never been to Africa, and it's not like we go around calling white people "European Americans."

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

pokie posted:

What happened to the internet dating/OKCupid thread in E/N?

One day a goon raped another goon and on that day that thread was sent away to a farm.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Gobbeldygook posted:

One day a goon raped another goon and on that day that thread was sent away to a farm.

gently caress, that's horrible.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, did that really happen?

edit: The rape part, not the farm part.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

alnilam posted:

You'll get different answers depending on whom you ask, in the debate of "black" vs "African-American." Generally some people will consider "black" slightly offensive, but a lot of people (both black and white) use it, and I personally have a slight preference for it for a few reasons. As for the word people, now that you mention it, I agree with you that the word "people" should probably be in there in both cases, but I guess I was lazy? I would just as soon say "whites" and it's weird that that other poster consistently says "blacks" and "white people." But "Xs" versus "X people," I think you have a point there.

edit: now I see you weren't asking about "black" vs "african american" at all, but just the use of the word people. But I'll leave the stuff I said just because. Anyway I think you have a point, sorry.

Thanks, so it pretty much is as I expected it to be.

As for African-American, that's something I shouldn't really comment on because I'm not American, but it has always struck me as strange how adamant some people can be on using a specific terminology, especially when you consider how fluent it has always been and how much the preferred terminology changes throughout both time, people and places. From what I understand, African-American has only relatively recently become the accepted term and, for example, 'people of colour' used to be the accepted term but is now considered offense, in poor taste, old-fashioned or whatever.

I'll never forget being in a literature class and one of my fellow (African) classmates got really offended at another (Asian) classmate of mine for referring to a character in the book we were discussing as black. He insisted on everyone using the term African-American, even thought the class was (1) at a British university, (2) dealing with a British book and (3) the character was British and not related to the USA in any way.
After I pointed that out to him and (honestly) asked him what term we should use and why calling someone 'black' (not 'a black', mind you, but something like 'the black guy' when there were multiple people being discussed, only one was white, and he isn't named in the book) was so offensive to him, he gave me the evil eye and just left the classroom. He was a dumb, misogynistic, homophobic rear end in a top hat anyway, so nobody missed him.

Gravity Pike posted:

"Black people" is more acceptable. You might be tempted to use the term "African American," but that's falling out of favor, since most black people have never been to Africa, and it's not like we go around calling white people "European Americans."

I thought as much, and that line of thinking seems so much more reasonable that constantly trying to invent new, inoffensive, terms that only confuse matters.

Honestly, I've lost track of what a inoffensive term is for short people/dwarfs/midgets/little people/you know what I mean. I've seen people get offended at any of them and insist on any of them. It's all very confusing.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

Mak0rz posted:

They all ask for money because they're all scams. Just play some flash puzzle games on Newgrounds or something. They're essentially the same.

Good to know. I found some good free ones though that don't follow that Lumosity type business model:

http://www.brainturk.com/games
http://www.brainexer.com/