Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I probably should have read the PL thread before post post posting cause they were literally talking bout cucumber which was what I was thinking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

Most of the popular java libs have c# versions or standard library equivalents these days.

ya nhibernate owns

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

just a butt posted:

I probably should have read the PL thread before post post posting cause they were literally talking bout cucumber which was what I was thinking about

green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke green as a cuke

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

JewKiller 3000 posted:

but if your unit tests have code inside, who's to say that code does what you meant? you need unit tests for it

lol I remember seeing some ruby tdd zealot unironically talking about unit tests for unit tests

I guess that was one of the incidents that lead me to now only use ruby for little scripting tasks and nothing serious

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

just a butt posted:

you only need to read it once it's basically the same three arguments over and over again

-- checked exceptions
-- plangs vs jlangs
-- hay is java pass by value or pass by reference

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
someone counted all the little languages used to build a rails app and got to thirteen

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

tef posted:

you only need to read it once it's basically the same three arguments over and over again

-- checked exceptions
-- plangs vs jlangs

you could apply the same argument to every yospos thread

can't really get tired of pics of refurb though

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

SavageMessiah posted:

lol I remember seeing some ruby tdd zealot unironically talking about unit tests for unit tests

tell him that he should go all the way and make unit tests for every unit test

watch him go into an infinite recursion

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

tef posted:

someone counted all the little languages used to build a rails app and got to thirteen

I believe that. Rails and ruby are all about stacking stuff on top of old stuff as far as I can tell

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

my boss has aspergers and LOVES unit tests

any time he can find a reason to preach the glory of TDD, he'll ram it down youare loving throat and you just have to listen

someone send help

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 25, 2013

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

some day I will work in a company with a rich testing environment

that day is not today

we have a decently rich testing setup except that our continuous integration platform is on ~~the~~cloud~~ and works maybe one day in three, and theres something subtly different re: the ci machines versus production/the "standardized" vm that every so often there will just be these mystery bugs that cant get reproduced

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tef posted:

-- checked exceptions
-- plangs vs jlangs

java is pass by value ofc

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
but somethines, the value is a reference!!?!?!?!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ya references are passed by value. a java reference is basically a pointer that the compiler dereferences for you

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
gently caress all of you

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

FamDav posted:

gently caress all of you

hey

hey

hey

hey

rude

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

ya references are passed by value. a java reference is basically a pointer that the compiler dereferences for you

basically yup

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

infact thats the #1 thing about java i wish someone had told me: references and objects are completely different things and the syntax muddles the distinction but its still there. like when u get that the type of a reference is different from the type of an object, then all kinds of stuff like polymorphism and type erasure are ez (i still dont remember why u cant make an array of generics tho...something to do with arrays being covariant)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Nomnom Cookie posted:

infact thats the #1 thing about java i wish someone had told me: references and objects are completely different things and the syntax muddles the distinction but its still there. like when u get that the type of a reference is different from the type of an object, then all kinds of stuff like polymorphism and type erasure are ez (i still dont remember why u cant make an array of generics tho...something to do with arrays being covariant)

iirc it's because java's incorrect array covariance in static type checking requires extra runtime type checks on array writes, and generic types are erased at runtime

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
covariant arrays are like this: eh eh eh eh

contravariant arrays are like this: do do do do

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

welp another day of terrible programming done *chunks punch card into wall reader*

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

tef posted:

covariant arrays are like this: eh eh eh eh

contravariant arrays are like this: do do do do

it's not a difference of opinion, covariant arrays are objectively wrong by the only reasonable metric: they make type checking unsound

that said, if you're worrying about variance, then you're using subtyping, so you've already lost

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

JewKiller 3000 posted:

it's not a difference of opinion, covariant arrays are objectively wrong by the only reasonable metric: they make type checking unsound

that said, if you're worrying about variance, then you're using subtyping, so you've already lost

yeah covariant arrays are pretty wat, they only made sense as a workaround for a lack of generics. however, there is a use for covariance outside of arrays, but i guess you know this so whatever.

my real problem is now when people say LSP i don't think of the substitution principle first

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

JewKiller 3000 posted:

iirc it's because java's incorrect array covariance in static type checking requires extra runtime type checks on array writes, and generic types are erased at runtime

o yeah...thats hosed. its weird, java is mostly really solid but theres poo poo in there like array covariance and type erasure thats just wtf. y did u do this, gosling. u broke ur language :(

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
type erasure exists for backwards compatibility but idk why it still exists >1.6

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

lord funk posted:

welp another day of terrible programming done *chunks punch card into wall reader*

same. i used a dictionary in a script today. now my mileage calculator can take input from featureclasses with any linear unit and output miles.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

type erasure exists for backwards compatibility but idk why it still exists >1.6

Everytime I have to do something with arrays and generics I get so mad at Java

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

tef posted:

yeah covariant arrays are pretty wat, they only made sense as a workaround for a lack of generics. however, there is a use for covariance outside of arrays, but i guess you know this so whatever.

my real problem is now when people say LSP i don't think of the substitution principle first

if you use only immutable data structures then everything is covariant :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
i've dashed the hopes of many a self-proclaimed java expert with an h1-b by asking about type erasure

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

i've dashed the hopes of many a self-proclaimed java expert with an h1-b by asking about type erasure

lol

they probably sewing nikes now

yospos bicth

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
does type erasure come up outside of academic circlejerks?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

ive never cared outside of this thread, so no

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

why say I think I would like to use these fancy generics for doing something other than datastructures...

Java code:
  public <T> T fartFactory(Butt butt)
  {
    return new T(butt);
    ^
      Error on line 12 so code from 15 years ago doesn't have to change
  }

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

varags seem nice, sometimes I want to take an optional amount of stuff

Java code:
  public Aiff<T>
  {
    public void flotz(Horns<T>... weee)
    ^ 
      Warning, potential heap pollution! The T is a soap bubble that pops after you compile
  }
note that generics and varargs were introduced together

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i applied to a place that said knowing "scheme" would be a good bonus skill to have

anybody have any good scheme resources?

am i finally going to have to learn what lambdas do?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

have fun writing clojure

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Just use a shitload of parenthesis, to the point where it's unreadable (just like real Lisp/Scheme code)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

i applied to a place that said knowing "scheme" would be a good bonus skill to have

cease any and all contact with wherever this is and run as quickly as possible in the opposite direction

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Corla Plankun posted:

do you know lisp? i hear they're pretty much the same thing

"the little lisper" is supposed to be a really good instructional book for lisp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i started looking at it yesterday and it seems really, really easy so far

its like a weird middle ground between assembler and ruby

• Locked thread