Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have a black-haired cat that seems to be shedding a lot of dander. Like, I can see a whole bunch of little white spots all over him like dandruff snow. :gonk: Is this typical for black cats or should I be changing his food or something?

Also, I'm getting ready to introduce my dog to my cat. The dog is a 12-year old whippet, neutered young and basically the laziest thing ever. The cat is 4 years old and I honestly don't know how he'll react. What's the basic idea with a cat+dog introduction? My worries is that the dog is significantly larger than the cat, so I'm scared of the cat getting hurt. Plus, a whippet is predisposed to chase after running targets - and the cat does run around a bit when he's bored... :( Is this doable or am I hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabi
Sep 10, 2008
Wet food might help if the cause is just not enough moisture. Do you brush him?

Edit: I just noticed you already post in the greyhound thread, no need to link you to it.

gabi fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 22, 2013

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Pollyanna posted:

I have a black-haired cat that seems to be shedding a lot of dander. Like, I can see a whole bunch of little white spots all over him like dandruff snow. :gonk: Is this typical for black cats or should I be changing his food or something?

One of my black cats is very prone to dandruff type flakes, the other only during very dry winter periods. More wet food may help, and more brushing may eventually help. Brushing sometimes makes the flakes worse at first since they're all loosened. I also notice that my dandruffy cat gets more flakes when she's stressed, so keep that in mind as well.

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I'm dealing with this in cat right now. I was looking up info earlier and several places mentioned giving your cat a bit of fish oil to help with dry skin.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I recently came across a little kitten who was trapped under some bushes in the netting that landscapers use when they're working on land. She was dirty, covered in flies, and very small. I took her to the vet, who cleaned her up and gave me some formula, a bottle, and a small syringe.

She's probably about 4 days old and she SEEMS to have a VORACIOUS appetite. I don't want to overfeed her, as I've heard that's worse than underfeeding her... but I also don't want to underfeed her. I'll give her 2-4cc of formula, and when I remove the nipple, she whines and whines as if she wants more food. But when I put her back into the heated box that I have her in, she quiets down... but she still searches around for a good 10-15 minutes seemingly looking for a nipple, before falling to sleep.

Her bowel movements are infrequent so far, about once per day, and they're a dark yellow/light brown color with the consistency of tar or jelly.

I'm trying to figure out if I should still feed her even when, all accounts, she ought to be full. The vet told me to feed her only 1.5-2cc, but that doesn't satisfy her at all.

Attached, please find a photo of the future fatty.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 22, 2013

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
It sounds like you're doing a great job. An ounce of formula per day is a good ballpark for the average newborn kitten, but that should nearly double in about a week, as should the kitten's body weight. 1.5-2ml per feeding sounds a little on the low side to me, but I guess it depends on how often you're feeding. If you have a kitchen scale around, you can keep tabs on her weight to know if you're feeding enough.

If she's crying and hunting for a nipple for 15 minutes, I don't think you need to worry much about overfeeding. If she were with mom, no one would be measuring her intake by the milliliter, and mom would let her eat as much as she wanted. ;) I'd try feeding a little more, or just more frequently, and see how it goes.

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 22, 2013

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Any advice for soothing an itchy cat?

Since the start of pollen allergy season here, Indy has been increasingly itchy. (She is an indoor cat so fleas are unlikely, and I haven't seen any signs of them.) At first I noticed she was scratching at her temples a bit more than usual and her fur was looking a bit more sparse in that area. At her check-up in June I talked to her vet who suggested fish oil (as was mentioned earlier for cats with dry skin - although her skin doesn't seem to be dry) and if that didn't work, Benadryl. I've been trying the fish oil and it doesn't appear to be helping as now she's also scratching at her cheeks; yesterday I discovered she has a few very tiny scabs on her face, presumably from scratching herself, and also a small bald patch on her stomach where she's overgroomed. I notice her grooming and chewing at herself more often too. She's also been more clingy and attention-seeking, probably because she isn't feeling too great.

Since the fish oil isn't working out I'm going to call the vet to find out what the Benadryl dose for a 10lb cat is, but I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions for pet wipes or sprays to reduce her itching and soothe her skin. I feel bad I didn't try to address this sooner - that bald spot looks like she's been working on it for a while, and I hate to think she's been miserable all this time. (I have terrible seasonal allergies myself so I can certainly commiserate with how much it sucks.) I already vacuum a lot and have a HEPA filter to deal with my own allergies, and will start washing her bedding more frequently.

I'm also concerned about giving her Benadryl -- I know it knocks *me* out, and I understand it has a similar effect on cats. Making her lethargic and drowsy all the time isn't exactly ideal if I'm trying to improve her quality of life.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Robo Kitty posted:

Since the fish oil isn't working out I'm going to call the vet to find out what the Benadryl dose for a 10lb cat is, but I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions for pet wipes or sprays to reduce her itching and soothe her skin. I feel bad I didn't try to address this sooner - that bald spot looks like she's been working on it for a while, and I hate to think she's been miserable all this time. (I have terrible seasonal allergies myself so I can certainly commiserate with how much it sucks.) I already vacuum a lot and have a HEPA filter to deal with my own allergies, and will start washing her bedding more frequently.

I use the nondrowsy children's Benadryl most of the time and it doesn't knock me out unless I mix it with booze, you might want to start there.

Lille's skin and coat always visibly improve when I remember to supplement her diet with some green tripe, my vet recommended it when the heat in our old apartment was drying her skin out. It smells like concentrated rear end, though.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What should the spay incision site be looking like after 6 days? The vet said nothing about cleaning the wound and only gave us some pain medication saying use it "only if she looks in pain". He also said to bring her in if it looks swollen; it doesn't look bad but it doesn't look that good :( She doesn't seem to be in any pain at all though and is moving around like normal.

Bad like how? Lots of oozing, or just crusty stuff? Is it increasing in amount or has it been the same? Is there lots of redness around the incision?

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What should the spay incision site be looking like after 6 days? The vet said nothing about cleaning the wound and only gave us some pain medication saying use it "only if she looks in pain". He also said to bring her in if it looks swollen; it doesn't look bad but it doesn't look that good :( She doesn't seem to be in any pain at all though and is moving around like normal.

With a spay, the stitches are going to leave a little bump in the area that will remain for about a month after the spay. In the beginning, its going to look pretty nasty and scabby, with probably a red line where the incision was. The bump is really easy to confuse with swelling the first day or two. After about a week to 12 days it should just be a good size bump with an incision line. It can take longer to heal if they are older as well.

Does she have an e-collar on or has she been allowed to lick at it? If they lick at it, it can get infected or her rough tongue can pull out stitches. Can you take a picture? Has it bled or leaked in any way? You say she seems normal, so that's one good sign that it might not be bothering her. Is she eating and using the litter box regularly?

Here was my cats incision line about 2-3 days after the spay, it was a very clean/fast healing surgery for her. http://i.imgur.com/PvYRzXv.jpg

ganstarr
Sep 5, 2012

meh, this is easy
Hi catgoons, I have a problem with my two cats that is causing some irritation both for me and the missus.
The two cats HATE/love herbs, as soon as one pops out of the ground, they are there to either eat it (tastes yumyum) or bite it to its death (when it's not so tasty).
Currently we live in an apartment with only a few big plants, which I assume the cats have deemed as too big to kill.

Whats the best way to stop the cats from eating up the herbs?
I have tried growing catgrass, which they eat and love. But that still doesn't hinder them from killing everything else.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

ganstarr posted:

Hi catgoons, I have a problem with my two cats that is causing some irritation both for me and the missus.
The two cats HATE/love herbs, as soon as one pops out of the ground, they are there to either eat it (tastes yumyum) or bite it to its death (when it's not so tasty).
Currently we live in an apartment with only a few big plants, which I assume the cats have deemed as too big to kill.

Whats the best way to stop the cats from eating up the herbs?
I have tried growing catgrass, which they eat and love. But that still doesn't hinder them from killing everything else.

Bird netting? It's lightweight so it won't crush the herbs, but blocks birds/squirrels/beasties from eating it.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
Hey guys. I live in a very small rural area and a small cat has appeared a few weeks ago. The cat seems very friendly and has come up to me when I am outside smoking cigarettes. I recently went out of town for about a week and when I returned my feline (stray?) friend was around and looking very skinny.

It was raining last night. And this cat was outside my house mewling so I put my 8 year old and 70lb golden retriever in a bedroom and I brought the cat inside. I got some cat food and a litter box and let her crash the night at my place. The cat seemed somewhat emaciated and appeared very grateful for the food. She's a total sweetheart and has been sitting on my lap and kneading and purring. She also does not freak out when you pick her up.

After consulting with the neighbors, we are unsure if this cat belongs to anyone or if it is a stray. My neighbors 6 year old son reports that a van came and picked the cat up about a week ago, but the cat has returned to the neighborhood. The reliability of this claim is dubious according to the mother of the 6 year old.

I am fiercely allergic to the FR1 protein found in cat saliva, and have never had a cat. My girlfriend has examined this cat and believes this cat could be pregnant.

Debilitating allergies aside, I cannot in good conscience aside allow this cat to starve. My girlfriend does not want to throw a pregnant cat back on the street. She might be able to crash here for a couple days until my eyes swell shut or I can't breathe, but I don't know what to do. I don't want to take her to the pound as I fear they will euthanize her. I don't want to see the cat put down.

What can I do? Please help.

Picture of cat:

Picture of flea dirt? Unknown black spots

Image of cat helping write post

image of cat nipple which SO thinks indicates this cat is pregnant.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Not sure about the pregnancy thing, but a spay will take care of it. Spaying also reduces the amount of allergen. And a good air filter and regular intake of claritin helps too...and that would solve your not wanting to leave kitty to starve ;)

For real though, I too was allergic, but with time I've come to be immune to my cats. Just saying.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've come to a rather hilarious impasse with introducing the cat and the dog. The cat is extremely curious, and the dog is extremely shy. :v: Jet, the cat, is interested in Blake, the dog, and seeks him out to :catstare: at him for a bit. Blake, though, is weirded out by this and moves away, almost as though he's scared by him. Pretty submissive behavior.

Is this normal for dog-cat introductions? It seems really strange and the opposite of what I expected. Blake is a whippet, if that helps.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Pollyanna posted:

I've come to a rather hilarious impasse with introducing the cat and the dog. The cat is extremely curious, and the dog is extremely shy. :v: Jet, the cat, is interested in Blake, the dog, and seeks him out to :catstare: at him for a bit. Blake, though, is weirded out by this and moves away, almost as though he's scared by him. Pretty submissive behavior.

Is this normal for dog-cat introductions? It seems really strange and the opposite of what I expected. Blake is a whippet, if that helps.

I would say that is very normal. The whole cats vs. dogs thing is pretty much cartoons. It's more like cats vs. everything. There are exceptions, but I think the majority of the time it is the cats that scare the dogs, chase them around, tease them and push play, etc. Your dog will just need to get used to the little bundle of evil.

There are some ways to speed it up, like switching their blankets up so they catch eachothers scent, etc. But in this case, it sounds like your dog isn't a threat to the cat, which means give it more time. It may just continue on like that, cat teases dog, dog ignores cat, etc. But it depends on their personalities!

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
While I was gone on vacation my Maine Coon decided not to groom himself. When I got back he was matted everywhere - like he was trying to grow dreadlocks.

I bought a really great pair of clippers and tried shearing him last night, but he fear-peed on me 3 times (twice when was just trying to hold him while the clippers made noise, with no trimming involved). I also got some nasty scratches. And he's only 50% shaved, his belly and rear knots are still intact.

Any advice for keeping him calm? I'm not sure taking him to a professional groomer will help much. And he fear-pees for car rides, too.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

dopaMEAN posted:

While I was gone on vacation my Maine Coon decided not to groom himself. When I got back he was matted everywhere - like he was trying to grow dreadlocks.

I bought a really great pair of clippers and tried shearing him last night, but he fear-peed on me 3 times (twice when was just trying to hold him while the clippers made noise, with no trimming involved). I also got some nasty scratches. And he's only 50% shaved, his belly and rear knots are still intact.

Any advice for keeping him calm? I'm not sure taking him to a professional groomer will help much. And he fear-pees for car rides, too.

If you can find someone to help you hold him, you may have better luck. Also if you turn on the clippers right next to him, they tend to freak out...same with running water. You may have to take him into the groomers. If you have safety scissors you can get the worst of the mats out if he cooperates, but even still at work we never clip a cat solo. Baths are doable if the cat is calm but sometimes it's the end of the world for the animal and you need an extra set of hands to keep things under control.

Lemony Fresh
Nov 4, 2009
My kitten is 4 months old and he's taken to running around like crazy. This is the second time that he's crashed into me headfirst as I'm walking by. He crashes into me so hard that it hurts. After he does this, he acts dazed and kind of lays down for a minute then starts playing again. Both times I've looked at him afterwards and his pupils are two different sizes. I put a light in his eyes to see if they reacted and they both did. He doesn't seem like he is hurt or anything because he continues to play right after it occurs. My concern is how do I stop him from running around like that? He is hurting me and himself by doing that. And did he have a concussion? I'm assuming cats can get concussions, but he didn't show signs of sleepiness, dizziness, or vomiting. He just had two different sized pupils.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Blimpkin posted:

Wash hands often, and regularly. Also, consider throw blankets and extra blankets for beds and such. One thing I did for the first month of having my cat was habitually cover my bed with a blanket i wouldn't sleep with so that the cat had free reign to lay on my poo poo and not kill me at night allergy wise.

3 months in and I really am probably 95% non-reactionary with her dander/fur.
Thanks for your suggestion. I passed it on when I talked to my co-worker again and her son is keeping the cat. New wife is going to get an emergency inhaler and kitty is disallowed from the bedroom, which I think is a fair compromise so the kitty can keep her home :unsmith:

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

dopaMEAN posted:

Uhh yea that sucks. Honestly, I would call up the vet and ask them what to do. Maybe they can give her a sedative, you'd be able to shave her no problem then. I wouldn't risk her anger/your blood on it without aid.

Lemony Fresh posted:

My kitten is 4 months old and he's taken to running around like crazy. This is the second time that he's crashed into me headfirst as I'm walking by. He crashes into me so hard that it hurts. After he does this, he acts dazed and kind of lays down for a minute then starts playing again. Both times I've looked at him afterwards and his pupils are two different sizes. I put a light in his eyes to see if they reacted and they both did. He doesn't seem like he is hurt or anything because he continues to play right after it occurs. My concern is how do I stop him from running around like that? He is hurting me and himself by doing that. And did he have a concussion? I'm assuming cats can get concussions, but he didn't show signs of sleepiness, dizziness, or vomiting. He just had two different sized pupils.

Kittens have REALLY tough skulls, they are durable for that kind of derpy energy at that age. I am not really sure how to stop it though, i'm lucky enough to have large open areas in my apartment so my 6 month old just power runs/crashes around in the other rooms. Maybe try to tire him out with a wand/fishing pole kind of toy once or twice a day until he's panting to tire him out and control the crashing.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 25, 2013

Freedonkeys
Jan 7, 2010
I noticed my 10 month old's mouth looked like it was slightly swollen whenever she opened it, and when I looked closer, I noticed she was missing her top left fang. She's eating fine, isn't showing any changes in behavior, and her mouth looks otherwise healthy. The last time I took her to the vet was when she was about five months old, and she still had a few baby teeth then. Is it possible she just lost one this late?

The only other thing I can think of is a few days ago, I woke up to the sound of a crash after one of her failed trapeze acts, but if she lost a tooth every time she was clumsy, she'd have none left.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
How concerning is a puking cat? I'm catsitting and my sister said the cat rarely pukes but it seems like once a week while I'm watching him. For a while it seemed like hairy puke so I've been brushing him and he was good for weeks, then last night he woke me up with puking noises and there were three separate piles. One was mostly undigested food, another was mush, and another was half food and the other half almost looked like bile or something. I cleaned it up, he had some water, then puked that up too shortly after. After this purge he seems to be fine.

He's on special urinary dry food, and I give him a bit of tuna every now and then. Maybe he got into something his stomach didn't agree with? He can get into all my cupboards, closets, and likes to eat bugs so I have no idea what caused it. Should I just keep an eye on him or is a trip to the vet in order?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Knightmare posted:

How concerning is a puking cat? I'm catsitting and my sister said the cat rarely pukes but it seems like once a week while I'm watching him. For a while it seemed like hairy puke so I've been brushing him and he was good for weeks, then last night he woke me up with puking noises and there were three separate piles. One was mostly undigested food, another was mush, and another was half food and the other half almost looked like bile or something. I cleaned it up, he had some water, then puked that up too shortly after. After this purge he seems to be fine.

He's on special urinary dry food, and I give him a bit of tuna every now and then. Maybe he got into something his stomach didn't agree with? He can get into all my cupboards, closets, and likes to eat bugs so I have no idea what caused it. Should I just keep an eye on him or is a trip to the vet in order?
Ask your sister about the frequency, and I'd say a call to the vet should be ok; take pictures of the puke if you think there's bile or something that isn't food or clear liquid. Cats can be dumb and eat too fast only to puke it up later.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I've been watching my roommates dog, who terrifies my cat with his presence. (In the way a grandparent might frighten a child. She has no idea what the gently caress this obese senile shi-tzu is). I'm concerned that she hasn't pooped in about two days but also hasn't been eating super well. She has food and has water and when I can I carry her to her box to pee and poop but she has only peed.

If she was eating well and not pooping I would be very concerned but as she is not eating well either I think she is just nervous. At what point should I be concerned about either?

Lemony Fresh
Nov 4, 2009
I took my kitten to the vet today - he's fine! The different sized pupils went away and he is perfectly normal now. They also shaved his butt since he is always getting poop stuck around it. He looks really funny now, poor guy. :(

The vet quoted me $300 for neutering him. I think that is a little expensive. I know there are a few low cost neuter places around here, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea to take him to them. Are they as safe as having a vet do it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lemony Fresh posted:

The vet quoted me $300 for neutering him. I think that is a little expensive. I know there are a few low cost neuter places around here, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea to take him to them. Are they as safe as having a vet do it?

Low cost spay/neuter is fine, you can almost always find neutering under $50. Assume probably $100 out the door if you're doing a round of vaccinations with it to and want to spring for pain meds after, although male cats probably need it even less than female.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hi catbros,

My wife lost one of those little elastic hair ties (approx 2.5 inches in diameter) during an epileptic seizure, and while I was assisting her our cat took about 6 bites and then swallowed the thing. I'm going to watch him to see if he passes it or pukes it up, and if he starts acting strange I'll call the vet in the morning. Is there anything I can give him to help him to pass it? I appreciate any advice.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
A little olive oil maybe? Good luck with kitty, surgery is a real trial. :(

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Hi catbros,

My wife lost one of those little elastic hair ties (approx 2.5 inches in diameter) during an epileptic seizure, and while I was assisting her our cat took about 6 bites and then swallowed the thing. I'm going to watch him to see if he passes it or pukes it up, and if he starts acting strange I'll call the vet in the morning. Is there anything I can give him to help him to pass it? I appreciate any advice.

As long as it was just one and wasn't the type of hair tie with a metal connecting piece, it will probably be fine. But yeah, keep a close eye on him.

When my cat ate 10!!!! hairties as a stupid kitten, the ONLY sign that something was amiss was that he wasn't eating normally. That required surgical intervention just because there were so many of them lodged in a wad in his stomach. Needless to say, he's never seen a hairtie since then...

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Is it wrong to feel proud when our 8-year-old indoor/outdoor cat comes to the door late in the evening with a still-kicking rabbit in her mouth? Like, it's bad form to kill animals willy-nilly like that, but on the flipside I'm glad to see that she's still a capable and healthy hunter as she gets older.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Hey cat thread. I read through the OP and didn't see anything expressly about this, and I think I have a general idea anyway, but here goes.

There's a feral kitten behind my house. Maybe 2 months old? He's still in the tiny head big ears stage but not the stumbling around ball of fur stage. It's a sad story. According to a deputy sheriff that has been feeding this cat colony for years, there's a meth house in the front room of the house behind me and they kill all the cats around the house for whatever reason. This little guy's (guy until proven otherwise, whatever) mother was killed, and since I got back from a trip a couple weeks ago I haven't seen the other two kittens that were with him. I presume this dude is all that's left of his family.

I'd like to do something about him. I've been feeding him turkey the last few days. He's to the point where he sees and hears me come out the back door and knows what's up, he runs toward me and meows when I start talking. I haven't touched him, but he's been close enough that I may have been able to. I haven't just because, you know, baby steps. He's always in the same area, and he's there most of the day.

I borrowed a humane trap from a friend that does catch/release of strays a lot. My plan is to nab him tomorrow with it (and his favorite turkey), take him to a clinic that is prepared to lightly sedate him with gas if necessary, get his watery eyes looked at, treat him for ticks/fleas/worms and otherwise check him out. If all goes as planned, he can live with me.

...there's the part I'm worried about.

I had cats growing up, and my parents have two now, one inside/outside, one inside only. I know how they "work." However I've never introduced a stray. I also live in a one bedroom apartment. It's fairly spacious and has lots of hardwood floors for him to peel out everywhere, but i don't have a room I can shut him in for however long he needs to adjust. I do live alone, and it is pretty quiet, however.

What's your advice on how to help this little guy adjust? Or advice in general.

Oh here's a few pics to melt your heart. He's a little floof prince.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ofaloaf posted:

Is it wrong to feel proud when our 8-year-old indoor/outdoor cat comes to the door late in the evening with a still-kicking rabbit in her mouth? Like, it's bad form to kill animals willy-nilly like that, but on the flipside I'm glad to see that she's still a capable and healthy hunter as she gets older.
Nope! Enjoy your guilty pride for your adorable monster.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Hey cat thread. I read through the OP and didn't see anything expressly about this, and I think I have a general idea anyway, but here goes.

There's a feral kitten behind my house. Maybe 2 months old? He's still in the tiny head big ears stage but not the stumbling around ball of fur stage. It's a sad story. According to a deputy sheriff that has been feeding this cat colony for years, there's a meth house in the front room of the house behind me and they kill all the cats around the house for whatever reason. This little guy's (guy until proven otherwise, whatever) mother was killed, and since I got back from a trip a couple weeks ago I haven't seen the other two kittens that were with him. I presume this dude is all that's left of his family.

I'd like to do something about him. I've been feeding him turkey the last few days. He's to the point where he sees and hears me come out the back door and knows what's up, he runs toward me and meows when I start talking. I haven't touched him, but he's been close enough that I may have been able to. I haven't just because, you know, baby steps. He's always in the same area, and he's there most of the day.

I borrowed a humane trap from a friend that does catch/release of strays a lot. My plan is to nab him tomorrow with it (and his favorite turkey), take him to a clinic that is prepared to lightly sedate him with gas if necessary, get his watery eyes looked at, treat him for ticks/fleas/worms and otherwise check him out. If all goes as planned, he can live with me.

...there's the part I'm worried about.

I had cats growing up, and my parents have two now, one inside/outside, one inside only. I know how they "work." However I've never introduced a stray. I also live in a one bedroom apartment. It's fairly spacious and has lots of hardwood floors for him to peel out everywhere, but i don't have a room I can shut him in for however long he needs to adjust. I do live alone, and it is pretty quiet, however.

What's your advice on how to help this little guy adjust? Or advice in general.

Oh here's a few pics to melt your heart. He's a little floof prince.

That kitten is cute, but could use a sandwich or two. Introducing a stray is like introducing any other cat, though you need to keep in mind that it may have more inclination to bolt outside than your average cat. Otherwise, it's all the standard stuff; introduce the litter box, provide scratch surfaces, provide toys and stuff, get shots, etc etc.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My girlfriend adopted a kitten 6 weeks ago from a shelter, she already has a 2 year old, they're both female. The kitten is still pissing off the older cat. She chases the older cat around apparently playful, but this can result in hissing and fighting. Will this calm down soon or is it time to start looking at rehoming the kitten? The older cat seems extremely unimpressed since the arrival of the kitten. The kitten seems oblivious to any rejection.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Lofty132 posted:

My girlfriend adopted a kitten 6 weeks ago from a shelter, she already has a 2 year old, they're both female. The kitten is still pissing off the older cat. She chases the older cat around apparently playful, but this can result in hissing and fighting. Will this calm down soon or is it time to start looking at rehoming the kitten? The older cat seems extremely unimpressed since the arrival of the kitten. The kitten seems oblivious to any rejection.

I'm assuming the fighting is the typical growling, hissing, chasing, smacking kind of cat fighting (which is normal) and not screeching, blood drawing, real fighting? If so, then that all sounds completely normal to me. Your kitten is an rear end in a top hat. Your older cat is teaching it manners. As long as no one is getting injured, it's fine and your kitten, as it gets older, will get along better with the older cat. I'd actually be more concerned if the older cat didn't put the kitten in its place when it got to be too much. Our cats are 4, 11, and 12. There are times when the youngest still irritates the older ones, but there are other times when they all cuddle up and clean each other. It just takes time for them to figure out where they stand in "cat hierarchy."

hereyoume
Nov 26, 2002

i'm happy because i got kisses!

That's gonna be one big rear end beautiful cat. Take him, please!

Do you at least have a bathroom you can close him in for a little? It would only be when you're not there to watch him and would only be temporary til he gets comfortable with his new digs. But yes, take him. He needs some lovin'

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I can lock him in the bathroom when I'm gone, but it's only about 5'x8'. I can probably make that work. e: that's assuming I can get him in there

It's raining right now so he's hiding and I have to run some errands, including getting a litter box/laser pointer/other cat things. Weather should be clear when I get back and it's game on.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 26, 2013

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I can lock him in the bathroom when I'm gone, but it's only about 5'x8'. I can probably make that work. e: that's assuming I can get him in there

It's raining right now so he's hiding and I have to run some errands, including getting a litter box/laser pointer/other cat things. Weather should be clear when I get back and it's game on.

A bathroom is still way bigger than your average shelter cage, so don't panic there. Bathrooms are especially nice since it's easy to clean the hard surfaces and fleas will have a harder time taking hold. Good luck getting that fluffy kitten!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
So the dog is gone, and my cat has been eating better already. She also pooped last night which makes me feel a whole lot better. I took her bell-collar off and she seemed to feel alot better about it all now that she is silent once more.

However, I have noticed her drinking from my bedside water cup yesterday and today, this behavior may have been going on for a long time. Have I been risking anything by not realizing for months that she may have been drinking my water? Note: I hadn't noticed it ever before this week, and now she has been doing it right in front of me, so I think she hasn't been doing it until I've been seeing her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
Hey cat thread. I've been having a bit of a dilemma lately with my two cats, and unfortunately getting advice on it hasn't been easy. They're about 4 years old now and siblings, and have been raised together. One male one female, both spayed and neutered, and indoor cats. Never been outside, since I live in a pretty awful neighborhood. They've gotten along fine for years though the female has always been exceptionally skittish.

The problem is, within the past 3 months or so they have periods of time where they become exceedingly aggressive with each other. It typically starts with the female beginning to yowl and hiss whenever she sees her brother, which leads to him chasing her and her shrieking like he's trying to murder her. They don't really fight, just swat each other a bit before one of them takes off, but she goes on high defensive and the sight of him sets her back off. After this happens they both will spend hours or days where they are constantly looking over their shoulders for the other. The male tends to try and find her, but then just sits a bit away and stares while she kicks up a ton of racket. This has lasted a few days at a time before, but just as randomly as it begins they'll just stop and go back to behaving normally.

So, what the gently caress? Is there something causing this kind of behavior, or some way I can help try to resolve whatever keeps setting them off? Because it is exceptionally frustrating having them both losing their minds for no reason, and each time it happens there's the worry they won't snap back and start acting normal again.

Any kind of advice is appreciated.