Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh, and one more beginner's question, can Holy Orders attack excommunicated Christian leaders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

I don't know if the AI takes that into account, but to be fair, you are also aware of how much money they have.

You can also check to see the max number of troops someone can have and the amount of troops they can currently raise and I know for a fact that the AI will take this into account when deciding to declare war or not.

Can religious heads be converted? Im wondering because the Franco-Byzantine Empire in my game has been slowly stamping out Orthodox Christianity and Im wondering if its possible for them to flip the Ecumenical Patriarch.

edit:

quote:

Also, what religion is best to allow him to go across the world knocking women up as in real life?

Probably any Pagan since you can just take a ton of Concubines, although Id say world conquest is slightly easier as Muslim than as Pagan since you can just pay piety and invade a kingdom.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 25, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Evil Sagan posted:

Anyway, please advise, also I love this game.

This is a bit gamey, but what I like to do is give away the count titles to my bishops. Bishops tend to be pretty chill vassals, they give you money (unlike nobles), and they also provide a good sized stack of troops. If it's a province that I won't directly control myself, or someone in my dynasty won't directly control I just hand off to the church in that province.

To do it, just find the church in the province, open up diplomacy with the bishop, go to the grant landed title screen, and give him the province he currently sits in. He'll take over control of the province, and you now have a vassal who isn't nearly as much of an rear end in a top hat as some uppity count usually is.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SeaTard posted:

This is a bit gamey, but what I like to do is give away the count titles to my bishops. Bishops tend to be pretty chill vassals, they give you money (unlike nobles), and they also provide a good sized stack of troops. If it's a province that I won't directly control myself, or someone in my dynasty won't directly control I just hand off to the church in that province.

To do it, just find the church in the province, open up diplomacy with the bishop, go to the grant landed title screen, and give him the province he currently sits in. He'll take over control of the province, and you now have a vassal who isn't nearly as much of an rear end in a top hat as some uppity count usually is.

This is even more gamey, but another benefit to bishop vassals is there's an easy way to get rid of them if they do get rebellious. Appoint them as your court chaplain and send them to convert a pagan ruler. 99% of the time, they'll get arrested and thus no longer a threat.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Pakled posted:

This is even more gamey, but another benefit to bishop vassals is there's an easy way to get rid of them if they do get rebellious. Appoint them as your court chaplain and send them to convert a pagan ruler. 99% of the time, they'll get arrested and thus no longer a threat.

Sending inconvenient members of your court off to die in service is a time-honored and Biblical tradition! If it's good enough for King David, it's good enough for the Petty King of Tara!

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

SeaTard posted:

Its gamey as gently caress and Im guilty of it but I hope Paradox does something about it to make church vassals a bit more risky, maybe a theocracy DLC?
Nobles can give you money if you have laws for it, its just they get a negative opinion modifier, church vassals do too but its really easy to offset that with other positive modifiers, its really easy to please the clergy.

Pakled posted:

Do the pagans traits affect how well the mission goes? Like a Zealous pagan would pretty much always kill him but a cynical one might let him be?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ah, here's another newbie question. Once I start getting some Counts in service to me, obviously politics are going to get more complex. If one of my vassals has a claim on a county, and I choose to press it on his behalf, does the newly-won county fall under my Kingdom or does it become an independant realm under the control of my vassal?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Evil Sagan posted:

Ah, here's another newbie question. Once I start getting some Counts in service to me, obviously politics are going to get more complex. If one of my vassals has a claim on a county, and I choose to press it on his behalf, does the newly-won county fall under my Kingdom or does it become an independant realm under the control of my vassal?

*Usually* not if they're already vassal to you. If you're playing CKII, hover over the CB in war menu and ti will tell you.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

If he is already your vassal(specifically owns a hodling of some sort, baronies count for this) as long as the title being pressed is not equal to or higher than your highest title he will stay your vassal.
If he is an unlanded courtier than the newly won land will be independent except in certain circumstances. Demanding vassalization can also sometimes work to offset this.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Thanks, guys. It works pretty much as I assumed, but as badly as my first two games went I want to be extra sure. I'm really high on my current success in this game and I don't want to ruin it all but getting myself locked in a position of powerlessness because I didn't understand the mechanics.

I can't go back to just being a count :qq:

Speaking of avoiding matching title strength, let's say I have Dublin and Kildare. Together they form a duchy. If I give a vassal the landed title for Dublin and the landed title for Kildare, am I effectively giving him the duchy (thus losing control of the vassal and both counties)?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Evil Sagan posted:

Speaking of avoiding matching title strength, let's say I have Dublin and Kildare. Together they form a duchy. If I give a vassal the landed title for Dublin and the landed title for Kildare, am I effectively giving him the duchy (thus losing control of the vassal and both counties)?

No, he won't be able to create/usurp the duchy because you can't create/usurp a title equal or greater than your liege's top level title. He will remain a count.

But if you hold the duchy of Dublin yourself, the vassal will hate you because he will want to be duke of Dublin, unless he has the content trait.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

Technically no you would still be the Duke of those two lands they would just own the land itself. However, characters can usurp a title from you if they own enough of the land (50% or more) comprising the duchy or kingdom and have enough gold. Though that wont be a problem for awhile

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

marktheando posted:

No, he won't be able to create/usurp the duchy because you can't create/usurp a title equal or greater than your liege's top level title. He will remain a count.

But if you hold the duchy of Dublin yourself, the vassal will hate you because he will want to be duke of Dublin, unless he has the content trait.

Oooh excellent information, and a good reason to avoid creating titles all willy-nilly! Thank you.

quote:

Technically no you would still be the Duke of those two lands they would just own the land itself. However, characters can usurp a title from you if they own enough of the land (50% or more) comprising the duchy or kingdom and have enough gold. If you were still a duke and they usurped a duchy title from you they would be independent. Youll probably be ok as its gonna be a long time before a freshly made count can afford to do that and after you form the Kingdom of Ireland it wont matter and you can just give them the duchy (since you can ony hold 2 duchies as a king).

Uh jeez. I know you're saying I don't need to worry about it with new counts, but the fact that he only needs one of two counties in a duchy to usurp is kind of scary.

gently caress it. No non-Content counts, and only one county per person! I will rule this kingdom of drooling subservients!

100 degrees Calcium fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 25, 2013

EatDirt
Nov 13, 2009
So, I am not exactly sure what just happened. I am currently the Emperor of the Roman Empire, chilling and relaxing all good you know. When all of a sudden, Anatolia becomes their own kingdom... No independence faction, no rebellion, no warning whatsoever. I suspect he had a plot or something, but I'm not even sure how that would work.

Also, how exactly do I cease all my vassals fighting? I currently have it set to Medium crown authority in the Roman Empire, but they continue to wage war with each other. Parts of Arabia being the Kingdom of Finland is getting really annoying. I figure it might be because all the kingdoms under me have their own laws or something. Anyone know whats going on?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Evil Sagan posted:

Oooh excellent information, and a good reason to avoid creating titles all willy-nilly! Thank you.

Uh jeez. I know you're saying I don't need to worry about it with new counts, but the fact that he only needs one of two counties in a duchy to usurp is kind of scary.

gently caress it. No non-Content counts, and only one county per person! I will rule this kingdom of drooling subservients!

It's actually 51% as of a few patches ago, and he won't be able to usurp a duchy until you become king. And it isn't a problem when you are king, since you will only want to hold max two duchies anyway, to avoid a nasty opinion penalty for too many held duchies.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

marktheando posted:

It's actually 51% as of a few patches ago, and he won't be able to usurp a duchy until you become king. And it isn't a problem when you are king, since you will only want to hold max two duchies anyway, to avoid a nasty opinion penalty for too many held duchies.

Dang, this is confusing. So basically my counts will squabble amongst themselves to try to get more land and power, but they won't ever try to match me?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Evil Sagan posted:

Dang, this is confusing. So basically counts will squabble amongst themselves to try to get more land and power, but they won't ever try to match me?

Oh they will try to match you. Every noble is playing the same game as you are. As a petty king, if your counts don't like you they can scheme to get claims on your title, or back your stupid brother or uncle in a succession war, or war to become independent. Or have you murdered. It's just they can't usurp your top level title or one equal in status to it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Evil Sagan posted:

Dang, this is confusing. So basically my counts will squabble amongst themselves to try to get more land and power, but they won't ever try to match me?

Kind of. They can never get a title equal to yours, because that means they would end up independent. They can declare war against you and fight for their independence however, which they will certainly do if they don't like you and are more powerful than you.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

Sometimes they will join up with each other and end your reign of tyranny.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SpRahl posted:

Sometimes they will join up with each other and end your reign of tyranny.

Which is why its always good to marry off your ticking genetic time bomb tyrannical children to your enemies.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Dallan Invictus posted:

You can only give counties directly to women if you have an Absolute Cognatic succession law, which in vanilla is restricted to Basques. This is not something the game makes entirely clear.

If you're a pagan and your pagan religion allows women to hold temples, you can grant a woman a temple holding and then grant her the county and pow, you've given a county to a woman.

statim
Sep 5, 2003
So the great restorer of Basque power, the first King of resurrected Navaraa, King Antso IV the Troubadour, died and left it all to his son.

His son who talks to fish. The dude has a negative piety per month of -1.31. He is possessed, slothful, greedy, proud, gluttonous, envious, wroth, and cynical. Oh and did I mention gay?

Actually, somehow, he has pretty good stats and is a kickass military commander. Things going to get interesting, one month into my new reign I've already been excommunicated.

God Satan be with you King Gartzia II the Accursed!

statim fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 25, 2013

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Which is why its always good to marry off your ticking genetic time bomb tyrannical children to your enemies.

I remember reading that I wanted as many titles in my dynasty as possible, but yeah people in my bloodline are just trouble so far. They want it all, man. Can't they see it's mine?

I think to a certain extent I'm just gonna have to eat a few more losses before I can get a playthrough where Ireland becomes mine. I just can't predict how it's all gonna play it out.

Can't believe people used to live and die by this poo poo.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Evil Sagan posted:

I remember reading that I wanted as many titles in my dynasty as possible, but yeah people in my bloodline are just trouble so far. They want it all, man. Can't they see it's mine?

I think to a certain extent I'm just gonna have to eat a few more losses before I can get a playthrough where Ireland becomes mine. I just can't predict how it's all gonna play it out.

Think of the feudal system as being in the mafia. Soldiers kick up to the capos, capos kick up to the boss. So like Tony Soprano you have to constantly juggle the need to have strong vassals who are good earners or provide lots of troops, and the need to have weak vassals who are easy to kick around.

statim
Sep 5, 2003
And now I've started doing satanic ritual torture on the former Duke of Navarra's wife.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

:siren: LOSING IS FUN! :siren:

I think one of my favorite single play throughs was as the Counts of Bearn, where in a period of one of my rulers we went from Counts to Dukes to Holy Roman Emperors. I managed to hold on to that for three generations until I was deposed in favor of my son (who became my played character). Being an infant, I was promptly deposed, but left with the majority of the Kingdom of Burgundy, meanwhile my mother somehow became Queen of France, Aragon and Castile, and was promptly deposed in favor of me, now an adult with four kingdoms! EAT A DICK YOU GERMAN FUCKS. :black101:

The story about King Fredrick I of France's father would have been a hysterically depressing wiki entry. Born a Prince of the HRE, elected as Emperor, deposed. Wife becomes Queen of France, deposed. Wife becomes Dutchess of Orleans, deposed. Dies of the plague alone and lonely and title-less.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 25, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Alright, history question, relating to CK2 in that 'Church Vassals are gamey'. It's known that the Church got vast amounts of land during the Medieval era. Why? It's not like the Churches had military force like they do in game(As far as I'm aware, at least).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Bloodly posted:

Alright, history question, relating to CK2 in that 'Church Vassals are gamey'. It's known that the Church got vast amounts of land during the Medieval era. Why? It's not like the Churches had military force like they do in game(As far as I'm aware, at least).

They owned vast amounts of land because they had vast amounts of money. They basically conned rulers into giving them over land and then made profit by being landlords. (This is a simplification.)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bloodly posted:

A slightly fairer explanation: Nobles would pay for a chapel on some land and prayers for their soul to avoid Purgatory for perpetuity. Modern minds would see this as a con but noone forced them to do this, it was a religious fashion for those who could afford it. Since there were no "generations" to hand these chapels down to, the Church would improve the land (often not the best), brew ale, keep sheep etc to keep the money and prayers going. And build stuff, to spend the money. There you are.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

eh4 posted:

A slightly fairer explanation: Nobles would pay for a chapel on some land and prayers for their soul to avoid Purgatory for perpetuity. Modern minds would see this as a con but noone forced them to do this, it was a religious fashion for those who could afford it. Since there were no "generations" to hand these chapels down to, the Church would improve the land (often not the best), brew ale, keep sheep etc to keep the money and prayers going. And build stuff, to spend the money. There you are.

Pillars of the Earth covers a bit of this fairly well for a historical fiction novel.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

This is also in a time where hell is a very real thing and not being in it is worth striving for.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Evil Sagan posted:

It varies a lot based on how big your realm and dynasty is.

If you've got a pretty small dynasty, the infighting can get pretty fierce when everyone has claims on everyone else's stuff. The crazy shifts that can happen with the Karlings in 867 are a good example of this.

Once your dynasty grows, it can become easier to spread titles around since people won't have a claim on their third cousin once removed's duchy like they would on their brother's.

And when your dynasty gets REALLY big, you can get crazy stuff like my Scandanavia game where I would land only relatives after each holy war, which resulted in pretty much every noble only being able to marry a distant relative, causing massive sub-empires to start blobbing after a few generations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
So are church vassals in the game supposed to be proprietary churches? Or is it an abstraction of the actual position of bishop?

Also by my understanding, in the early middle ages the church did have its own knights and it wasn't that unusual for a bishop to lead his knights into battle.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 26, 2013

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

CK2+ here: Is every independent muslim ruler in the 1066 start date supposed to be a theocracy?

Alright, I've managed to play as them using the console but it says that one of my mosque titles is the wrong type. Is this an undocumented change or is my install of CK2+ just broken completely?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Odobenidae posted:

Alright, I've managed to play as them using the console but it says that one of my mosque titles is the wrong type. Is this an undocumented change or is my install of CK2+ just broken completely?

Do you own Sword of Islam?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Do you own Sword of Islam?

Yes, and it is activated in the launcher. This seems to be a problem with CK2+, it labels muslim rulers as theocracies.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Okay, so some of the stats like Intrigue and Stewardship are best represented by the women in my court. I've seen women take on Council positions in other Duchies, but I can't seem to assign them in my own. And the Council situation here is increasingly grim. Do I need to change the gender preference laws in regards to inheritance to put women on the Council? I sure hope not.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy

Cream_Filling posted:

So are church vassals in the game supposed to be proprietary churches? Or is it an abstraction of the actual position of bishop?

Also by my understanding, in the early middle ages the church did have its own knights and it wasn't that unusual for a bishop to lead his knights into battle.

From my general knowledge (which is liable to be innaccurate), I think you would be largely right. Bishops would preside over their episcopal holdings (the resources,buildings, people, etc. of the particular diocese that belonged to the bishop). Without more personal holdings on the part of the bishop, I doubt episcopal holdings would generate too much for warfare other than capital.

However, bishops in the medieval ages and beyond could easily be landed persons with immense wealth if the diocese was big or important enough. Under that consideration, one could see how a given bishop could easily be able to call on knights if need be. I would, however, assume that the likelihood of a very powerful bishop becomes larger the closer we get to end of the late medieval age and into the renaissance and early-modern era. In the early medieval ages, I daresay that huge powerful bishops would be the exception rather than the norm.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Evil Sagan posted:

Okay, so some of the stats like Intrigue and Stewardship are best represented by the women in my court. I've seen women take on Council positions in other Duchies, but I can't seem to assign them in my own. And the Council situation here is increasingly grim. Do I need to change the gender preference laws in regards to inheritance to put women on the Council? I sure hope not.

You can only appoint your wife or your mother to council positions, at least without modding. Even then I think they can only be your spymaster (but don't quote me on that). But mods to change that kind of thing (and make absolute cognatic succession available to non-Basques, etc -- generally making men and women equal) are pretty plentiful, and can generally be applied games that are already in progress without issue, if you want to use one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Bloodly posted:

I think that sometimes when a landholding noble died, they would leave some land to the church. Then consider all of the landholders dying over the course of a dozen generations all over Cataholic Europe along with the fact that the church never died and just held onto everything it gained in perpetuity. Or, at least until it no longer had enough clout to scare countries into not seizing church land anymore.

• Locked thread