Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Against very aggressive batsmen that try and 'get on top of the bowling' starving them of runs often makes them do spazzy shots and get out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
The implication is that the only indicator of a good captain is wins though.

Don't agree.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

-Spiffy- posted:

The implication is that the only indicator of a good captain is wins though.

Don't agree.

I don't think that's the implication. And using wins as an indicator is stupid. A good captain is one who gets the most wins out of his team. I agree with the above posters in regards to Cook. In a team setup like England's Cook's captaincy may very well be the most effective captaincy for the team at his disposal and for the opponents he's facing. Just because it is defensive, reactive, etc. doesn't mean it's not effective. And if it's the most effective way for England, why then Cook is an excellent captain, as disgusted as his decisions sometimes make me feel.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What's the stat about Clarke, 20% of the sides runs since he became captain?

He can't actually carry the side, he's not Dan Vettori.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
It is not determinative but it plainly is a factor. Ponting won a huge number of games but is not necessarily thought of as a great captain. I have to agree with those questioning the increasingly conventional wisdom that Clarke is a very good captain. I think he is inventive and enthusiastic but you have to weigh that against his win record (taking into account the resources at his disposal) along with other factors such as his ability to maintain discipline and get the most out of his players.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Warner's clearly going to be returning for the Old Trafford Test, the question is who gets dropped for him? Smith has been useful and will probably be looked on favourably for his bowling. Hughes would be in the gun but it seems harsh given his first innings at Trent Bridge. Perhaps Rogers?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Probably Watson if Clarke gets his way :pray:

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Please, let it be Watson and let him never loving return

Shut up, I can dream :(

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

haha found this gem (yes I know I'm slow :downs: )

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/i-cuffed-michael-clarke-in-adelaide-dressing-room-says-james-anderson-20121012-27hdz.html

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Did he have a few beers before writing this?

Jimmy Anderson posted:

"'Do it,' Martyn replied, completely straight-faced.

"Now while Martyn was notorious for being someone who did not mix particularly well with his own teammates, and was not close to anyone, preferring to be something of a lone wolf, his bullish attitude nevertheless took me aback.

"I looked at him again as if to ask: 'Are you sure?'

"'Do it!' he repeated.

"As I'd had a couple of beers, I didn't need a second invitation, so I picked this pad up and cuffed Clarke with it, making the biggest thud imaginable in the process, and causing everyone in the room to stop nattering. For a split second, there was complete silence.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

It'd be funny if that's what triggered Clarke's chronic back problems.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
That gives some explanation to why Martyn retired suddenly.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

fuckpot posted:

Did he have a few beers before writing this?

That says Martyn wasn't close to anybody but I thought he was pretty close to Ponting?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Scylo posted:

That says Martyn wasn't close to anybody but I thought he was pretty close to Ponting?
I was more pointing out the not needing to ask for a second invitation bit despite the fact that he specifically asked for a second invitation.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Anyone know what happened to the Grauniad's World Cricket Forum?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

fuckpot posted:

I was more pointing out the not needing to ask for a second invitation bit despite the fact that he specifically asked for a second invitation.

Maybe he meant a second person :)

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Chemi posted:

It is not determinative but it plainly is a factor. Ponting won a huge number of games but is not necessarily thought of as a great captain. I have to agree with those questioning the increasingly conventional wisdom that Clarke is a very good captain. I think he is inventive and enthusiastic but you have to weigh that against his win record (taking into account the resources at his disposal) along with other factors such as his ability to maintain discipline and get the most out of his players.

Clarke isn't perfect but he's better than Cook. Ponting was mocked by the English posters for his defensive nature. The facts are test cricket is an aggressive game where the fielding side needs to take twenty wickets.

A scarecrow could take wickets against the current Australian side. They are poorly disciplined and mentally weak so his captaincy becomes effective against a team like that but he captains the same regardless of the side and a nation like the rsa will happily bat to defensive fields for days.

Can anyone remember that Adelaide test where kp and Collingwood batted for days. Ponting instructed the bowlers to bowl negatively. Warne was bowling almost entirely leg side. Now Australia won that test...was it due to Pontings captaincy or England collapsing in a heap when the pitch started to spin as the Adelaide oval does.

Edit
I mean on the field. Clarke's issues off the field are well known.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Clarke surely has to take responsibility for his side being poorly disciplined and mentally weak. That's part of my point.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Can we all at least agree that M.S Dhoni is the best captain of all time?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Chemi posted:

Clarke surely has to take responsibility for his side being poorly disciplined and mentally weak. That's part of my point.

Its not just at international level though. I was reading an article where CA is criticising Australian wickets for being too fast bowler friendly and will take action against state sides who produce wickets that allow 14 wickets to fall in a day.

Australian wickets are supposed to be fast bowler friendly but I do not believe that making flatter wickets will produce better batsmen. The wickets can't be too tricky a nearly 40 year old Ricky Ponting still managed to score heaps of runs of them.

Cricket Australia is run by absolute clowns. We want Australian wickets playing to fast bowlers for the ashes. Lets see Joe Root bat behind his crease on an Australian wicket

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Every time I read an article about CA or hear about what they're doing lately I want to die

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Cricket Australia is run by absolute clowns. We want Australian wickets playing to fast bowlers for the ashes. Lets see Joe Root bat behind his crease on an Australian wicket
I'll admit I'm no expert on the mechanics of batting, but wouldn't back foot play be an asset on fast tracks? More time to see the ball, and so on.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

CA remind me a bit of how England's army of support staff were a few years ago, in that it seems to be full of people who want to get involved and make changes in everything so that no one figures out that their job isn't actually needed.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

biglads posted:

I wonder what Peder Brofuck would be writing about this series if he was still with us?

Simon Katich fanfic.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
Sussex have actually named a pretty strong playing XI for the match against Australia, rather than doing what counties tend to and fielding the second XI. It's not quite their first team, though the batting order pretty much is (except James Taylor for Ed Joyce), but the second and third seamers are young second XI players rather than the ones they normally field in county matches. Chris Jordan and Monty Panesar are playing, though.

Given the rather odd Australian line-up, I wouldn't be that surprised if Sussex (second in the County Championship) have the better of this match.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I wish I hadn't left Brighton now, I could have gone to see this. That and Brighton is the best city.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The England team have drawn portraits of each other for a charity auction.

My favourites:

Johnny Bairstow by Tim Bresnan

Steven Finn by Ian Bell

Stuart Broad by Steven Finn

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sussex here, letting the Australians bat themselves into some form to keep the Ashes interesting.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
Looks like the Aussie A team are trying to get their batting confidence up - that SA pitch seems an absolute road. Just like English conditions I don't think. Warner will swagger back into the Aussie team and get royally undone again.

Not much fun for the prospective bowlers though.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Good to see the Aussies taking this opportunity to learn a bit of patience against a bowling side that shouldn't bother them too much and not going balls to the wall, playing their natural game which could lull them into a false sense of security.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

chyaroh posted:

Looks like the Aussie A team are trying to get their batting confidence up - that SA pitch seems an absolute road. Just like English conditions I don't think. Warner will swagger back into the Aussie team and get royally undone again.

Not much fun for the prospective bowlers though.

Dean loving Elgar is currently 258* against Aus A. Road or not, holy lol.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

I think Monty nailed Compton

Root might have a second career lined up, though.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
It's hard to imagine the Australian side doing similar drawings of each other since humour and self deprecation do not exist in the psyche of the Australian Cricket Team

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tony A. Butt posted:

It's hard to imagine the Australian side doing similar drawings of each other since humour and self deprecation do not exist in the psyche of the Australian Cricket Team
Although Clarke and Watson drawing each other would be a fascinating psychological exercise.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 26, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wade got an 8 ball duck against Sussex.

Put him in the team.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ok, the Saffer As are now 614/7. Does it count as a first class game? Are they just trying to ruin some Australian bowling averages?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tony A. Butt posted:

I'm now imagining the homework saga from earlier this year involved drawing pictures of your teammates, and the whole thing is now infinitely funnier which I didn't think was possible. So thanks!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

goatface posted:

Ok, the Saffer As are now 614/7. Does it count as a first class game? Are they just trying to ruin some Australian bowling averages?

If games on those kinds of pitches didn't count as first class, some of the Indian Test players would still be waiting for their first class debut.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

dupersaurus posted:

I think Monty nailed Compton

Root might have a second career lined up, though.

I like how everyone who draws Anderson emphasises the monobrow.

Paul.Power posted:

Although Clarke and Watson drawing each other would be a fascinating psychological exercise.
I don't think a couple hand drawn pictures of steaming turds would sell to well at auction no matter who signed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
This Sussex team doesn't seem to be very good at batting

• Locked thread