Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are any of the rims much warmer than the others after you get off the highway? If one of them is then that's the stuck caliper, or bad wheel bearing.

I don't really see how the steering rack itself could cause the car to drift. I mean, it's possible, but it'd be unusual.

Bad wheel balance can cause it too. That's probably the first thing I'd get done if no corner is particularly warm, especially if their current balance status is unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

I'm just curious here but they checked the tie-rods and control arms when you aligned it, right? craig588 has some good suggestions with checking the rim heat, you could also try rotating the rims too since that's free and can tell you immediately if that's an issue. Truth be told I'd honestly be surprised if it is the steering rack but it's always a possibility.

How'd the problem develop?
How long have you had this issue?
Did something lead to this issue (like flying into a parking spot too fast and hitting a tire on the curb)?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Above,

Are your tires the same size and condition? An out of balance tire usually causes wobble not pulling. Check the rear brakes also it might not even be the front pulling you.

Got my Sensen shocks yesterday. They came in a printed box and everything, color box! The even cross reference the other oem brand replacement shocks that fit a miata on a sticker. They seem fine I will let you know how long it takes before they fall apart. I assume they are just repainted monroes stolen from the warehouse. They did have a Sensen holgraphic sticker attached telling me they were legit Sensen shocks though.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Got a line on a trunk kind to replace my rusty one, at a relatively inexpensive cost. It doesn't have the OEM spoiler on it, which mine has. Am I wrong in thinking I can just remove the spoiler from my rusty trunk lid and reinstall on the non- rusty trunk lid by drilling a few holes & using double sided automotive trim adhesive?

I really do prefer the look with the OEM spoiler.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

It's not hard to install a spoiler, just measure like 10 times to make sure you didn't muck up the placement. It really is just drilling holes. Just make sure those holes are in the right spot.

Make sure to get some paint on the bare metal after drilling or you'll get rust in there.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Excellent, that's what I figured. I have a touch up pen that I'll use on any bare spots post - drilling.

I am probably far more excited than I should be about the possibility of a non-rusty trunk lid.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I'm just curious here but they checked the tie-rods and control arms when you aligned it, right? craig588 has some good suggestions with checking the rim heat, you could also try rotating the rims too since that's free and can tell you immediately if that's an issue. Truth be told I'd honestly be surprised if it is the steering rack but it's always a possibility.

How'd the problem develop?
How long have you had this issue?
Did something lead to this issue (like flying into a parking spot too fast and hitting a tire on the curb)?

Thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it.

I did the highly scientific "Put finger on wheels after driving" test and my rear wheels were warmer than the fronts. I will investigate this further.
The car has had the problem as long as I've owned it, so, almost a year.
I have no idea what led to the issue, buying it as far as I know.

I'll pull the wheels off this weekend, clean up the brakes and look for any oddities. I read somewhere that I can measure from point to point of the suspension components on either side to look for bent pieces, so I may have a go at that while I have it up.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Korwen posted:

I did the highly scientific "Put finger on wheels after driving" test and my rear wheels were warmer than the fronts.

That's unusual, I'm changing my vote to partially stuck parking brake. I think the front wheels should be slightly warmer than the rears in pretty much every situation, they do most of the braking and get the most of the heat.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Cheapest and most AI way to get a MSM:

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/28-sale-trade/106514-complete-mazdaspeed-miata-swap.html and a Texas/Arizona/OtherDesert tub.

Some of you people in the states should do this FuzzKill style.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
F- You miata long bolt why won't you break loose! Getting a longer wrench tonight. If you won't put out there is always the ball joint.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

F- You miata long bolt why won't you break loose! Getting a longer wrench tonight. If you won't put out there is always the ball joint.

Taking the balljoint tongue out, two 17 bolts, is a lot easier and it's supposed to keep the alignment ok.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Korwen posted:

My 1996 Miata pulls hard to the left. By hard I mean if I take my hands off the steering wheel at 40mph, the car will completely change lanes in under 4 seconds roughly. It is present at any speed, and if I reverse the car the steering wheel will turn in the other direction. It makes the car fairly fatiguing to drive with it constantly trying to dive towards oncoming traffic, and I am finally ready to try to troubleshoot it.

First thing first, I have had the car aligned by a trusted local shop. I had them align it to as close to the Flyin Miata suggested alignment as they could get. This had no discernible effect on the steering pull.

I'd like to try to come up with a comprehensive list of things I need to check that could cause my car to steer to the side this badly, so that I can begin troubleshooting it. I have a couple ideas for components to check, but I am largely uncertain where to look next.

Wheels probably need balancing, they also might be bent. I figure rotating tires might be a good way to check and see if it's the wheels that are causing an issue.

The steering rack is most likely the cause of this issue, but I don't know what I'm looking for when inspecting it, so any help here on troubleshooting it would be appreciated.

I imagine it could be bushings or wheel bearings of some kind. I believe the test here is to jack the car up and try moving the wheels in and out, and then to take a pry bar and pull on various arms through the suspension looking for excessive play.

There's always the chance it's just a bent as hell suspension component, but in my time working on the car I haven't seen anything obviously wrong, however there is a little dent on the crossmember the engine sits on underneath the car, so I'm worried that this could be the cause.

Could it be brakes somehow? It's done this since I've owned the car, and in that time I've replaced the rotors and pads with no effect on this steering issue.

So my questions are how do I inspect/check the steering rack for issues that could cause my steering problem, and what am I forgetting to check for? Thanks.
Tire pressures?

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

craig588 posted:

That's unusual, I'm changing my vote to partially stuck parking brake. I think the front wheels should be slightly warmer than the rears in pretty much every situation, they do most of the braking and get the most of the heat.

My Integra actually has this same issue right now, I'm going to agree with craig and say check the parking brake.

Edit for context: My parking brake is the issue in my Integra because they have an integrated parking brake valve on the rear calipers (dunno if a NA is the same) and mine are frozen after sitting for 6+ months, I freed up the calipers and they work for stopping, sorta, but I need to get new ones now.

Tanz-Kommandant fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 26, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Get a laser thermometer, they come in handy for lots of poo poo, especially automotive.

If the rear wheels are heating up take the rear calipers apart, clean all the old poo poo off and lube up the pins good, put on new hardware/boots and see what happens. If they still seize up it's new caliper time. Probably one of the most common Miata issues.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

10psi feels great. Hitting overboost protection at 180kpa because you haven't tuned closed loop EBC is analogous to cockblocking yourself. Having overboost protection because you haven't installed your 949racing clutch yet is QQ

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
poo poo gently caress, looks like I might be a Miata owner soon :gbsmith:

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
The following issue has started to develop with my top (which was supposedly pretty new-ish according to the previous owner):

Is that fixable or should I start looking for new tops?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

dpidz0r posted:

The following issue has started to develop with my top (which was supposedly pretty new-ish according to the previous owner):

Is that fixable or should I start looking for new tops?

Gorilla tape.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tape it for now and start looking for a top.

http://topsonline.com/

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Finally got tired of looking at things like

and sent my deposit into ARTech last week. 3" stainless steel catback here we come. I'll post pics when it gets here in September. I feel like I'm commissioning a piece of art, not a car part.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

saint gerald posted:

and sent my deposit into ARTech last week. 3" stainless steel catback here we come. I'll post pics when it gets here in September. I feel like I'm commissioning a piece of art, not a car part.

Out curiosity, how much did that run you?

I'd like to have him build me a T25 bottom mount manifold, downpipe, and 3" exhaust but it probably won't be for another year.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Konrad posted:

Out curiosity, how much did that run you?

I'd like to have him build me a T25 bottom mount manifold, downpipe, and 3" exhaust but it probably won't be for another year.

About $500 for the exhaust. He's making me a 3" test pipe too, so with shipping I should be a touch over $600 all in. He mentioned to me he was thinking of raising his prices given the backlog he's running, so if you're thinking long-term it might be a little more.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Long bolt method is awesome. Shock just falls out. PB blaster and an 8 buck Taiwanese NAPA wrench did the trick. One down 3 to go.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

saint gerald posted:

About $500 for the exhaust. He's making me a 3" test pipe too, so with shipping I should be a touch over $600 all in. He mentioned to me he was thinking of raising his prices given the backlog he's running, so if you're thinking long-term it might be a little more.

Hmmm... It might be worth looking into making my own.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I really wish headers for a miata didnt cost more than a cat-back. I'm used to the small-block-chevy world where i can get headers for $25 each. :( (Got used pacesetter longtubes for $50 used)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I really wish headers for a miata didnt cost more than a cat-back. I'm used to the small-block-chevy world where i can get headers for $25 each. :( (Got used pacesetter longtubes for $50 used)

I think you know the solution, V8 swap.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Konrad posted:

Hmmm... It might be worth looking into making my own.

I'd do that if I had the skills and the tools. I spent some time looking into alternatives (Enthuza, FM etc.) but Abe is priced about on par or a little cheaper than those, and he does such beautiful work.

With any luck I can offset the cost by selling my Racing Beat catback, it's still in good shape.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

saint gerald posted:

I'd do that if I had the skills and the tools. I spent some time looking into alternatives (Enthuza, FM etc.) but Abe is priced about on par or a little cheaper than those, and he does such beautiful work.

With any luck I can offset the cost by selling my Racing Beat catback, it's still in good shape.

Yeah, I'd go FM but I really like the idea of a bottom mount for heat-management reasons and I don't have power steering or AC.

I didn't really know how to paint a car but I managed to do a passable job on my Miata. Since I plan on teaching myself to solder and build a MSDIYPNP, the home-built hot parts kind of go along with my "built, not bought" theme. The end result might not be as good, but there's a different kind of satisfaction from it.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Konrad posted:

Yeah, I'd go FM but I really like the idea of a bottom mount for heat-management reasons and I don't have power steering or AC.

I went FM for the manifold and downpipe. And the clutch and flywheel. And a few other bits and pieces. They really do make excellent stuff, and their service is first-rate.

You'll have an easier time of it with no AC, the compressor really gets in the way. Oddly, the only place I really had clearance issues is squeezing the BOV in between the radiator fan and the front of the engine. It's proper tight in there.

quote:

I didn't really know how to paint a car but I managed to do a passable job on my Miata. Since I plan on teaching myself to solder and build a MSDIYPNP, the home-built hot parts kind of go along with my "built, not bought" theme. The end result might not be as good, but there's a different kind of satisfaction from it.

This project also taught me to paint and DIYPNP. I'm done learning for now. ;) I had enough headscratching with bits of pipe putting together the intake plumbing.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Miata owners are the best.

Today I was checking out a Craigslist ad for a set of BF Goodrich R-comps in 205 on steel wheels from a 91. I'm running 185s and was about ready to post in this thread saying "hey, will these fit?" when I had a sudden thought.

A few months back an autocrossing friend of mine said to me "hey, you should friend this guy on Facebook, he's seriously fast and a great guy." So I did, and kept half an eye on his Miata-related posts. He's helped me out in the past with a few odds and ends, sent me a copy of his spark table (along with a message saying DO NOT RUN THIS WHATEVER YOU DO...it was pretty aggressive). So I shot him a message and say, hey, are these good and will they fit? A few minutes later he messages me back saying "I'm driving, call me" and his number.

Long story short, he spent about 20 minutes brain dumping on Miata tire selection, suspension geometry, ride height, alignments etc. while I desperately scribbled notes trying to keep up. Such a nice guy. He was on his way through Ohio for some big Solo event in Toledo, I believe.

Gonna snag those tires, I hope, and I think there are some nights with a tape measure, a level, and a glass of wine in my immediate future. When I bought that car, I was expecting to get nothing but gay jokes and abuse; I live in redneck central. But I've met a bunch of great guys, and gathered nothing but of positive comments (and lots of those) from folks on the street. My Miata's not even a very clean example. It's a happy car, and it seems to attract happy people.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
How do I test that the crank and cam position sensors are sending a signal? I'm not getting a spark on my 99. The voltage (both blk/red and brn wires) and ground to the coil pack are fine and I just replaced the coil pack, so that's not the problem. Both of those sensors are getting power, but I'm at a loss as to how to determine if they are sending signals without compromising the wires.

Edit: the only equipment I have is a cheap multimeter.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Alright, I made a little wiring harness that I could use to test each connection. I think I found the problem: is the grey/red wire to the crank position sensor supposed to be hot when the key to the on position? Both, the red/white and the red/grey are hot, 12v and 5v respectively. I think I botched the ECU rewiring.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Day one sensen shocks, seem good. Worth the money. Dampen fine. Install was easy.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I can't get the rubber weather strips on the top to stay on for the life of me. Do they need to be glued or should they just friction-fit on the metal plates? I feel I'm missing something really obvious and probably should have paid more attention when I pulled them off. :suicide:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

There are some grooves that the rubber has to be pressed down into, IIRC.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I usually get the outside groove in by hand first, then use a dull flathead screwdriver to push in the inside groove of the seal, you can feel it "snap" into place when you get it right. It's kinda hard to get them in good just by hand alone.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

They're pressed on now but still a bit loose. I'll try the screwdriver method tomorrow evening.

Just to confirm: I have the slotted taller flanges on the interior side of the top, this is the correct orientation, right? I realized after taking it all apart I didn't pay attention to which way the plates went and it very well could be backwards but the screw indentations in the rubber are lining up.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

My Miata just failed a safety inspection because a seat belt is frayed on it.

I picked up a used seat belt pretty cheap.

I also have a Hard Dog rollbar in the car.

gently caress everything.

edit: Looks like I'll have plenty of time to inspect the rear calipers however.

Also VitaminJ, tire pressures were checked running 28 all around.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
You could get some cheap expired 4 point harness in the car to pass tech until you get a better belt. Assuming this is for autocross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Nah this is for an inspection sticker, not tech for a track day or autocross. I've gotta get this one sorted.

I thought about putting a harness in there, but it's more expensive and gently caress having harnesses in a DD.