Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hughmoris posted:

In The Stand, there is a short chapter that is a running compilation of mundane deaths that random people experienced after the first round of Captain Trips. Does anyone know what chapter or page that starts on?

It's one of the best chapters he has ever written.

No great loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

RoeCocoa posted:

That's Chapter 38. It's right after Stu meets Glen and Kojak, about a third of the way through.

Found it, thank you.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
King talks about the difficulty of writing the opening sentence.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Read Christine as my first real King novel since high school and really enjoyed it for some reason. At some point I'll try Salem's Lot. I think drugs-King is my favorite King though.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

^burtle posted:

Read Christine as my first real King novel since high school and really enjoyed it for some reason. At some point I'll try Salem's Lot. I think drugs-King is my favorite King though.

Drugs-King is the best King. One of you author goons can have a free story idea. Guy writes really good books back when he used to do alot of drugs, gets clean and gets hit by some sort of vehicle. Starts freaking out that he may die before he finishes beloved series and starts cranking out poo poo books in an attempt to finish the series before he dies. Author gets kidnapped (details up to you, I know some of you are really good at writing) and his kidnapper basically keeps him high 24/7 in order to profit off the Author's drug fueled stories somehow. Also there's a lamp monster.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Do not email that to King, or he will write a story about it. He wouldn't be able to help himself.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

juliuspringle posted:

Guy writes really good books back when he used to do alot of drugs [care], gets clean and gets hit by [crashes] some sort of vehicle. Starts freaking out that he may die before he finishes beloved series and starts cranking out poo poo [unexpectedly good] books in an attempt to finish the series before he dies. Author gets kidnapped (details up to you, I know some of you are really good at writing) and his kidnapper basically keeps him high 24/7 in order to profit off the Author's drug fueled stories somehow. Also there's a lamp [typewriter] monster.

Misery 2: Arc-Sodium Boogaloo

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

^burtle posted:

One of my favorites. The movie was so-so due to bad casting. Alexandra Paul's delivery of the line, "God, I hate rock and roll", makes me cringe every time.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
- oops, wrong thread -

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I'm a bit surprised catching up with this thread and reading the comments regarding the miniserie of IT. Yeah, it doesn't really hold up well, but I believe the series actually did capture something terrible if you were in your early teens or younger.
I remember being a child and secretely putting my TV on when I was supposed to be sleeping. I started watching some movie with a bunch of children that felt relatable. I think it took the better part of 10 years to not have chills about clowns, bathrooms, drains and balloons. Hell, I can still look in the backmirror of my car and have Pennywise flash through my mind ever so briefly. I never read the book, either. If I see someone with a Pennywise avatar, I'm actually waiting for it to be goddamn animated so he reaches out, or his teeth change. :)

There's something terrifying to the series that doesn't translate to adults, in my opinion, but it has an amazing power for sticking with you. I love it.

ps, I got my share of puppetfear by secretely watching a fun movie with a kid and his doll in the exact same manner..

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Acht posted:

There's something terrifying to the series that doesn't translate to adults, in my opinion, but it has an amazing power for sticking with you. I love it.

Read it as an adult when it came out. Saw screenshots and previews of the series and didn't even bother giving it a shot. Burnt too often in the past by King on the screen, (Salems Lot and Cujo are the rare exceptions... unless you count Green Mile) and what was previewed to me appeared corny as all gently caress.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

^burtle posted:

Read the short story of Jerusalem's Lot in Night Shift first, to get the whole Lot experience.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

juliuspringle posted:

gets hit by some sort of vehicle. Starts freaking out that he may die before he finishes beloved series and starts cranking out poo poo books in an attempt to finish the series before he dies.

You forgot "gets addicted to painkillers because of his shattered hip' right in the middle there. King on cocaine is a great writer. King on vicodin is how we got a crap end for the Dark Tower series.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I haven't read it in a long time, but I think Salem's Lot is the King book that scared me the most.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!

Acht posted:

I agree. I was only 7 years old when it IT first aired on TV, and I wandered into the room while my parents were watching the opening scene with the clothesline. They kicked me out pretty quickly, but I'd seen enough to freak me out. That LOOK he gives her is seared into my brain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzn8bbhhQQ

A couple of years later I got into Goosebumps (and anything R.L. Stine wrote), Are You Afraid of the Dark (and an episode of Tales from the Crypt here and there when I could sneak them in). I didn't start reading King until I was 15, but I've been into horror/supernatural type stuff since I was a wee one. Who knows, maybe that first glimpse of Pennywise is what started the whole thing?

On a related note, I came across my King collection in the attic the other day and I pulled out a few titles that I plan to read again, so my old tattered paperback copy of IT is now sitting on my nightstand, waiting.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

Read the short story of Jerusalem's Lot in Night Shift first, to get the whole Lot experience.

Just finished Night Shift, and there's actually two stories that bookend Salem's Lot. Pretty cool, I actually had no idea about them when I started reading it. I read Salem's Lot in highschool and it was my favorite King book for a while. I loved the scene with the two young lover vampires flying over the town as its getting hosed and that scene with the one guy who you think is going to be the hero of the story and then he ends up going into that basement with no light. I think I'm going to have to read Carrie next.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Acht posted:

If I see someone with a Pennywise avatar, I'm actually waiting for it to be goddamn animated so he reaches out, or his teeth change. :)

Wait for it...

I, too, loved the IT miniseries as a kid but have never read the book. After going through this thread, I decided to start.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Berzerker posted:

I haven't read it in a long time, but I think Salem's Lot is the King book that scared me the most.

I agree 100%. The book hosed up my young mind back in the 80's.

Just curious what does everyone think are the scariest moments King has written? Off the top of my head...

- Ben Mears as a kid finding something hanging in the Marsten House.

- Danny Glick visiting Mark in Salem's Lot.

- Matt Burke getting a visitor also in Salem's Lot.

- Susan and Mark in the Marsten House while the sun sets, also in Salem's Lot.

- The loving end of his short story The Jaunt. Still disturbs me.

- Victor Pascow in Pet Sematary.

- The great and terrible Zelda in Pet Sematary.

- Gage speaking as Norma in Pet Sematary.

- The tunnel in The Stand.

- The sounds in the wall in Jerusalem's Lot.

- The storm drain in It.

- Jack discovering the history of the Overlook in The Shining.

I tried to be vague, so I don't think I was too spoiler-ish. I am sure I am forgetting even more, but these are the ones that come to mind.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 26, 2013

Lazarus Long
Dec 13, 2002
I know pretty much everyone, this thread included, have been hating on Gerald's Game. It is really the only King book I have ever read to elicit a physical response in me. I couldn't really say if it was as terrible as everyone keeps making it out to be because my mind was unable to cope while reading it. I remember cursing out loud at it and also throwing the book across the room at one point. If I even think of the word "degloving" my mind recoils.

On the opposite end of the spectrum the scene in Salem's Lot with Mark and Susan after she has turned and is outside his window is the most heart-wrenching scene I have ever read in a story and drat near brings me to tears every time.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

nate fisher posted:

Just curious what does everyone think are the scariest moments King has written? Off the top of my head...

Lady in room 213 in The Shining.

It's hard to think of a good Salem's Lot book scene, since the movie was just as absolutely horrifying to my young brain. I saw it as a kid of 8 years when it first came out. I rank it up there with Jaws as movies that made me irrationally scared for weeks. Avoided sinks and baths after Jaws for quiiiiite a long time.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 26, 2013

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Fog Tripper posted:

Lady in room 213 in The Shining.

It's hard to think of a good Salem's Lot book scene, since the movie was just as absolutely horrifying to my young brain. I saw it as a kid of 8 years when it first came out. I rank it up there with Jaws as movies that made me irrationally scared for weeks. Avoided sinks and baths after Jaws for quiiiiite a long time.

I was 6 when it originally aired and watched it back in 1979 with my King loving Mom. As I said before I still can't sleep with open curtains in fear I will see someone floating outside my window. I made crosses out of Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys to protect myself.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Pet Sematary.

That book is absolutely terrifying throughout, ,and I don't even have kids.

On another note, I've been getting through a lot of Sherlock Holmes on the train recently, and the King short story "The Doctor's Case" is exceptional. It's not something i can remember being discussed in this thread but I thought it really captured the tone of the originals.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pet Sematary is easily King's scariest work, and unlike most of his others, the parts that are scary change as your life changes. I keep posting about it, but I've read the book five or six times, several years apart, and every time I find something else that fills me with dread.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Crunch Bucket posted:

I agree. I was only 7 years old when it IT first aired on TV, and I wandered into the room while my parents were watching the opening scene with the clothesline. They kicked me out pretty quickly, but I'd seen enough to freak me out. That LOOK he gives her is seared into my brain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzn8bbhhQQ

33 y/o, and that youtube still gave me the chills. :)
I really need to start reading it as well, but I also noticed I never read Salem's Lot. I think I need to bump that on my list asap.

quote:

Wait for it...

Damnit!

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Keep in mind that there are a lot of SK books I haven't read, but the denouement of The Breathing Method (fourth segment of Different Seasons) kept me up all night the first time I read it, and gave me shivers whenever I thought about it for years after.

I'm almost finished with Rose Madder. It's not as bad as Gerald's Game, but it is ever so lumpy.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

The scene in Desperation where the can-tah is trying to get the U-Haul driving guying and the hitchhiker girl to hook up out in the desert sand and they're fantasizing about the best sex they'll ever have surrounded by spiders, scorpions and wolves and being eaten alive while screwing their brains out.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I think 1408 is King’s best scary story. A lot of King’s work is very, very sleazy, and the best thing about 1408 is that it’s King being completely terrifying without falling back one the usual gross out gore, or too much information awkward sex stuff or impossibly hosed up and deviant antagonists to get the reader off balance. The King story that creeped me out the most has to be Apt Pupil but that’s definitely a case of King wallowing in bad taste and taboo to get a reaction out of the reader.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The build-up to Cujo's rabies infection may not have scared me out right, but it filled me with dread in a way that's rare in a King book.

Also, the part in The Long Walk when Barkovitch rips his throat out gave me a weird sort of chill.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
Patrick Hotstetter's little vignette in IT always creeped me out. The idea of someone taking solipsism to that extreme, and the idea of a child calmly committing unspeakable acts, are really difficult to process.

I really enjoyed the buildup in 1408, making the reader more and more uncomfortable throughout the story until it becomes nearly unbearable. The first time I read that story I was sick in bed and fell asleep partway through and had an awful nightmare about it.

Perhaps scary isn't the right word, but I was highly disturbed by the dog POV segments in Gerald's Game. I always knew that dumping pets in the woods to "set them free" was an rear end in a top hat thing to do, but King fleshing out what the dog was going through made me feel sick.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ConfusedUs posted:

Pet Sematary is easily King's scariest work, and unlike most of his others, the parts that are scary change as your life changes. I keep posting about it, but I've read the book five or six times, several years apart, and every time I find something else that fills me with dread.

Is it strange how much Gage creeped me out when he told Judd that Norma cheated on him with all his friends while they laughed about it behind his back? I still wonder to this day if Gage was telling the truth or not. It just bothers me, because it was coming out of a child's mouth and the way Judd's relationship was presented up to that point.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Berzerker posted:

Several years back I was staying by myself in a big older house in a sketchy neighborhood. At night I would turn off all the lights, get in bed with just a head-lamp and read Salem's Lot. Sketched me out big time, only got about halfway thru. I need to pick it back up.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Tojai posted:

Patrick Hotstetter's little vignette in IT always creeped me out. The idea of someone taking solipsism to that extreme, and the idea of a child calmly committing unspeakable acts, are really difficult to process.

I just read Firestarter for the first time (for some reason I skipped it during that age 13-17 run at all things King) and it weirded me out that the head scientist had the same name.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Is it strange how much Gage creeped me out when he told Judd that Norma cheated on him with all his friends while they laughed about it behind his back? I still wonder to this day if Gage was telling the truth or not. It just bothers me, because it was coming out of a child's mouth and the way Judd's relationship was presented up to that point.

No, that's definitely some disturbing poo poo. I think Gage was either fully or partly lying, but it's still evil as gently caress just placing that kernel of doubt in Judd's mind.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I just read Firestarter for the first time (for some reason I skipped it during that age 13-17 run at all things King) and it weirded me out that the head scientist had the same name.

One of the creepiest King scenes for me is in Firestarter when that guy is mind-controlled into sticking his own hand into the garbage disposal, I think there was another scene where someone else was made to do something really hosed up, but it's been so long since I read it that its hard to remember.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong

savinhill posted:

No, that's definitely some disturbing poo poo. I think Gage was either fully or partly lying, but it's still evil as gently caress just placing that kernel of doubt in Judd's mind.

I always thought Gage was telling the truth. In the story about the first guy who was brought back to life by the cemetery didn't he basically outline the darkest deeds of several people he came in contact with, stuff that he had no way of knowing, but was all true? I thought it was just something that happened when the cemetery was used.

That being said, Gage was also pretty cunning and deceptive, so him lying would fit too.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

savinhill posted:

One of the creepiest King scenes for me is in Firestarter when that guy is mind-controlled into sticking his own hand into the garbage disposal, I think there was another scene where someone else was made to do something really hosed up, but it's been so long since I read it that its hard to remember.

What makes that scene creepier is that he wasn't mind-controlled into doing it at all; it was just an unforseen consequence of "the push" that he started obsessing over it and it's not the first time that sort of ricochet had happened

Y
Sep 29, 2004

it's time to step up
Something bugged me about The Wind Through The Keyhole - at what point did Maerlyn become a good guy? He is set opposite the forces of the Crimson King in the story, and appears to be helpful enough towards Tim, which seems pretty nice for a guy who created 13 demonic scrying orbs. Is his backstory as the creator of the Wizard's Rainbow just some bullshit Walter liked to peddle? Or do we chalk up his shifting allegiances as "Mid-World is real weird" and leave it at that?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nate fisher posted:

- Ben Mears as a kid finding something hanging in the Marsten House.

- Danny Glick visiting Mark in Salem's Lot.

- Matt Burke getting a visitor also in Salem's Lot.

- Susan and Mark in the Marsten House while the sun sets, also in Salem's Lot.

- The loving end of his short story The Jaunt. Still disturbs me.

- Victor Pascow in Pet Sematary.

- The great and terrible Zelda in Pet Sematary.

- Gage speaking as Norma in Pet Sematary.

- The tunnel in The Stand.

- The sounds in the wall in Jerusalem's Lot.

- The storm drain in It.

- Jack discovering the history of the Overlook in The Shining.

I tried to be vague, so I don't think I was too spoiler-ish. I am sure I am forgetting even more, but these are the ones that come to mind.

The bit in Insomnia where the other two fates rig a magic trap into his arm by jamming a huge fuckoff pair of scissors into his arm and snip from the inside of his elbow to his wrist in one cut gave me a visceral reaction that I almost never get from books.

Lazarus Long posted:

I know pretty much everyone, this thread included, have been hating on Gerald's Game. It is really the only King book I have ever read to elicit a physical response in me. I couldn't really say if it was as terrible as everyone keeps making it out to be because my mind was unable to cope while reading it. I remember cursing out loud at it and also throwing the book across the room at one point. If I even think of the word "degloving" my mind recoils.

I've lost count of how many times King has written sexual abuse from the perspective of the kid being molested, but it's always just awful.

RoeCocoa posted:

Keep in mind that there are a lot of SK books I haven't read, but the denouement of The Breathing Method (fourth segment of Different Seasons) kept me up all night the first time I read it, and gave me shivers whenever I thought about it for years after.

I'm almost finished with Rose Madder. It's not as bad as Gerald's Game, but it is ever so lumpy.

Dunno how popular an opinion it is, but I thought that Breathing Method was pretty weak and made even weaker by the three preceding stories being some of King's best.

The frame story was fantastic, though, and I'm glad he re-used it.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
NBC plans to do a remake of The Tommyknockers.
http://hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbc-orders-hillary-clinton-rosemarys-594405

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

If it doesn't have the flying Coke machine, count me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Dunno how popular an opinion it is, but I thought that Breathing Method was pretty weak and made even weaker by the three preceding stories being some of King's best.

The frame story was fantastic, though, and I'm glad he re-used it.

Yeah, not a lot of people like "The Breathing Method." I was still fairly young the last time I read it; maybe I'd have a different opinion if I read it again.