Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I found a pair of these on the street the other day. They're not terribly top of the line, but the sound output is strong, they bump hard, and it sounds more to the "warm" side of the spectrum, which I like.

Plus they're purdy... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Fisher made some nice stuff.

Looks like the tweeter cones are damaged though :(

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
I'm looking to upgrade my preamp. Right now I have one of those jokey $20 Behringer ones. The guy at my local hi-fi shop is pushing the Musical Fidelity V-LPSII, which is a decent chunk of change (just under $200). He says it's more musical than the NAD PP2i. Has anyone compared these models to the TC-750, which is only around $44 on Amazon?

Will I even notice a difference upgrading from the $20 Behringer preamp? I listen through fairly large bookshelf speakers, through a Yamaha 7.1 home theater receiver (in pure direct/stereo mode, obviously).

I should also note that my turntable is a mid-level Technics belt drive, which I may replace later on with something like a Project Debut Carbon.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Are you sure that thing on the tweeters isn't just the glue bump where the leads are connected.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

The speakers sound fine and sound is coming out of both tweeters, so I don't know what you're talking about.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

The speakers sound fine and sound is coming out of both tweeters, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I think he means the metallic domes on the tweeter and midrange look dented, but from the picture it's hard to tell.

e: nevermind, just found the larger version of the picture on Imgur. The domes are in great shape.

upsciLLion fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 11, 2013

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

upsciLLion posted:

I think he means the metallic domes on the tweeter and midrange look dented, but from the picture it's hard to tell.

e: nevermind, just found the larger version of the picture on Imgur. The domes are in great shape.

Yup

It just looks like a reflection

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

The only problem with them is purely cosmetic, speaking of which: there is some brown stuff caked into the pulp on the woofers (I think these were garaged for a long time, and some rust may have transferred from the metal housing for the woofers onto the pulp itself somehow). Any ideas how to clean it without destroying them?

Mormon Knight
Dec 30, 2004
I'm setting up a music rig in my house. I went to the local hi-fi shop and found a pretty cool looking Nakamichi 730 Receiver. I think this may be a pretty obscure piece of equipment as it is difficult to find online reviews. I thought I'd take a shot in the dark to see if anyone had heard of it/used it.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Mormon Knight posted:

I'm setting up a music rig in my house. I went to the local hi-fi shop and found a pretty cool looking Nakamichi 730 Receiver. I think this may be a pretty obscure piece of equipment as it is difficult to find online reviews. I thought I'd take a shot in the dark to see if anyone had heard of it/used it.

This says it was rated for 105W/ch, was made from 78 to 81 and sold for $1400. Sounds like you've got yourself a monster in sheeps clothing.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I may have an issue with liking integrated amps too much. Picked these two up recently a Technics SU-V9 and a Pioneer SA-8800 recapped with a nice custom case. I'll give the Yamaha C70/M70 a break and rotate the SA-8800 in later today.

Mormon Knight
Dec 30, 2004

Retarded Pimp posted:

This says it was rated for 105W/ch, was made from 78 to 81 and sold for $1400. Sounds like you've got yourself a monster in sheeps clothing.

I'm a little new to the terminology. Do I want a monster in sheep's clothing in my home?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

They often refer to receivers over about 100 watts/ch as monster receivers and this one with it's slim chassis looks more like one in the 20-40 watt range. Some of the more powerful ones like the 270W/ch Pioneer SX-1980 were massive 80lbs beasts.
http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/pioneerstereoreceivermodelsx-1980.html

I'm sure it sounds pretty drat good too, Nakamichi made quality equipment and for what it sold for in the 70's I'm betting it would be an excellent addition to your system. But, in the end all that matters is if you like it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm feeling very dumb right now. I'm trying to get a Garrard DD75 turntable up and running. I'm using a small Realistic SA-10 amp because that's all I have available currently. The amp has two selectable inputs, one labeled "tape/tuner" and one labeled "phono". It was my understanding that if there's a phono input, I shouldn't need a preamp. The sound from the turntable is VERY quiet though (to the point where I have to turn it all the way up to barely hear it).

I have two other turntables here that play at a normal volume with the same amp. One is a midlands brand and the other has no brand or markings on it at all. All three and the amp itself are 70s-era. Plugging into the tape/tuner input doesn't change the volume at all.

So am I correct in thinking my other two turntables have built-in preamps while the Garrard doesn't, and the phono input on the amp doesn't actually do anything different?

edit: I found this page which says the phono input has no preamp, so I guess I just need to get one or just find a receiver/amp with a built in one.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 13, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
A phono input on a receiver should always mean that there is a preamp inside, otherwise they would just make it aux. It's possible but unlikely that the preamp is broken in such a way that it only functions as a line level device. It's also possible but unlikely that you have a moving coil type cartridge on the Garrard. Most turntables built before the vinyl resurgence (about 2000) won't have a preamp inside them. This includes all vintage turntables usually excluding suitcase/portables. We'll probably need some more details about the other turntables, possibly photos to ID them for you.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I think he means it has a phono stage but no preamp. Still strange, though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Hmm, well the cartridge on the Garrard is a shure m95ed.

As for the other turntables, one has no brand but says model number 0928N. The other is a Midland International brand with no model number. Neither have any identifying markings on the cartridges. They're really cheap turntables. I suppose they could be newer than I think, I got them both at the same garage sale and know nothing about them, though the Midland one has a 78 and 16 (:wtf:) rpm setting so I'm guessing it's not that new.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 14, 2013

Mormon Knight
Dec 30, 2004

Retarded Pimp posted:

They often refer to receivers over about 100 watts/ch as monster receivers and this one with it's slim chassis looks more like one in the 20-40 watt range. Some of the more powerful ones like the 270W/ch Pioneer SX-1980 were massive 80lbs beasts.
http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/pioneerstereoreceivermodelsx-1980.html

I'm sure it sounds pretty drat good too, Nakamichi made quality equipment and for what it sold for in the 70's I'm betting it would be an excellent addition to your system. But, in the end all that matters is if you like it.

The Nakamichi is very cool, has a ton of power, and sounded good through my speakers. However, it was finicky and I don't have the patience for it. I'm returning it. The stereo store that I go to has a few New Integrated Amps/Receivers that I am considering. I don't know poo poo about how much power it takes to drive speakers (I have Canton Nestor 603 floor speakers).

They have these that are in my budget(and unfortunately I'm married to THIS store with store credit for returning the Nak730).

Marantz PM6004
Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10
Cambridge Audio Azure 351A

Alternatively, they have a PS Audio 100 Delta that I could pair with a Adcom GFP-345 Preamp.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

What was finicky about the Nak?

Mormon Knight
Dec 30, 2004

Retarded Pimp posted:

What was finicky about the Nak?

Front display was lit intermittently. It would make a barking sound and then shut off under very light loads. Finicky isn't exactly strong enough. Right now it I can get the lights to come on for about three minutes before it shuts itself off. I have a feeling it is a minor problem; when I listened to it in the store (almost 45 minutes straight of playback with me fussing with the buttons and switches), it seemed to be fine. Something on the drive home and setting it up must have come loose, unsoldered(?), etc..

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mormon Knight posted:

Front display was lit intermittently. It would make a barking sound and then shut off under very light loads. Finicky isn't exactly strong enough. Right now it I can get the lights to come on for about three minutes before it shuts itself off. I have a feeling it is a minor problem; when I listened to it in the store (almost 45 minutes straight of playback with me fussing with the buttons and switches), it seemed to be fine. Something on the drive home and setting it up must have come loose, unsoldered(?), etc..

Yeah, sounds like a loose solder joint or something. You're probably right to let the store deal with it.

meecrob
Jul 3, 2007
I'd scarf down a whole wet bucket full of shit before I ate another plate of meecrob.
I have been wanting an old solid state amp and decent set of speakers to mainly just upgrade my listening from horrible Logitech PC speakers.
I ran across this duo at the flea market. Poor cell pics..

Sansui T-80 tuner
Pioneer SA-7700 amplifier

I couldn't leave without a set of speakers to play through.

Fisher DS-810
LooksLikeABabyRat's speakers baby brothers with 8" main drivers.

The old guy I bought them from could barely manage english and wouldn't sell me the amp by itself. It's in great shape and just needs some contact cleaner to clear up some scratchiness. The tuner is pretty sweet. It only needs a bulb for the dial. I grabbed the best looking pair of speakers he had, which were the Fishers.
$85 total haul.

Sadly, I think the midrange is gone in the right one. I am getting a bit of popping at relatively low volume levels. I will most likely just replace whatever driver is failing as a pair whenever I do find time to diagnose it. Any suggestions for components and parts?

meecrob fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 22, 2013

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Hey speaker bro!

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Its going to be a while before I get to play with it so I dont even know how it works.(or how to work it)

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

evilnissan posted:

Its going to be a while before I get to play with it so I dont even know how it works.(or how to work it)

The best part is figuring out where to get reels and losing all your money.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
7inch stuff isn't too hard to find or pricy, but 10inch is rough.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 25, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Crossposting myself from the NMD vinyl thread:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So I've got my setup on a 2X4 Ikea Expedit turned on its side like a "credenza/console" with the cubes full of vinyl and the receiver and turntable on top of it side by side. It's been quite sturdy and I haven't felt like I've needed to worry about it collapsing or catastrophically failing at any point (knock on particleboard). The thing is- I'm planning to move my current Nakamichi receiver (weight ~19 lbs) to the bedroom and replace it with a monster 1970's Yamaha that's about twice its size (and more than double the weight at 45-50 lbs). I'm pretty scared about overloading the Expedit (particularly since it's sideways so the it's arguably not in ideal weight-bearing orientation). I understand that it's "only" an addition of 25 lbs but it'd be concentrated in one area.

Does anyone have any experience putting *particularly* heavy equipment or concentrating weight on top of a horizontal Expedit in that way? How grounded are my fears? I've got the receiver all set to go and I must put it in its rightful place- the Expedit is literally the only thing holding me back right now.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
I just replaced my $30 Behringer preamp with the $200 Musical Fidelity V-LPS II. I was skeptical about how worthwhile this would be, but I brought my little Behringer preamp into my local stereo shop to do an A-B comparison. The difference is night and day. Although the Behringer isn't bad, it's much tinnier and focused on the highs compared to the Musical Fidelity, which gave a much fuller sound: it extends further into the lower end, and has a much more balanced sound across the whole spectrum.

I also replaced my aging Ortofon 5E cartridge with a new 2M Red. This was also a nice improvement, but much less dramatic than upgrading the preamp. So for anyone who's wondering where to spend their money first, cartridge vs. preamp, it may be worthwhile to go for the preamp first.

The old fogey at the stereo shop also schooled me about playing with the dustcover off. I had no idea that could make such a dramatic difference. Kids, take your dustcovers completely off the turntable when you're playing. Same with slipmats: I had one on just for decoration. YMMV here, but if you've got a slipmat sitting on top of your platter just for looks, experiment with removing it.

ryangs fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 26, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Crossposting myself from the NMD vinyl thread:
Some googling suggests that you should be okay especially if you place it over a divider. There's multiple threads of people putting things like CRT TVs and full two-channel setups on top of 2x4 Expedits.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have a Fisher x100B tube amp (~30lbs) along with other poo poo on top of my horizontal 4x2 Expedit. I also have it sitting on six 8" legs. I don't think you'll have any problems.

peskyplumber
Dec 14, 2011

ryangs posted:

I just replaced my $30 Behringer preamp with the $200 Musical Fidelity V-LPS II. I was skeptical about how worthwhile this would be, but I brought my little Behringer preamp into my local stereo shop to do an A-B comparison. The difference is night and day. Although the Behringer isn't bad, it's much tinnier and focused on the highs compared to the Musical Fidelity, which gave a much fuller sound: it extends further into the lower end, and has a much more balanced sound across the whole spectrum.

I also replaced my aging Ortofon 5E cartridge with a new 2M Red. This was also a nice improvement, but much less dramatic than upgrading the preamp. So for anyone who's wondering where to spend their money first, cartridge vs. preamp, it may be worthwhile to go for the preamp first.

The old fogey at the stereo shop also schooled me about playing with the dustcover off. I had no idea that could make such a dramatic difference. Kids, take your dustcovers completely off the turntable when you're playing. Same with slipmats: I had one on just for decoration. YMMV here, but if you've got a slipmat sitting on top of your platter just for looks, experiment with removing it.

What difference does playing without the dust cover make? I figured it would be better for the records if you just kept it on all the time.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I once heard that it can cause microphonic issues, but I always put it down to audiophile exaggeration. SL-1200 looks much better with it removed during play though.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The neighbor gave me a Kenwood KR-5030 yesterday, said he thought it had a bad fuse. I turned it on and the power would flicker on/off, mostly off, so I took a look inside. Fuses are either good or bad, doesn't sound like that and the fuses looked fine. It reminded me of my SX-450 that had trouble turning on for about a minute, turned out to be the power switch contacts had a layer of hard oxidation from arcing at turn on and shutoff. Gave'em a good sanding with 1000 grit and it's fine.

This power switches contacts were almost nonexistent and a thick carbon coating covered the inside of the switch housing, was thinking about jumping the switch to be always on, but then I noticed a pair of resistors had overheated with some discoloring and a bit of carbon around the pair. I'm gonna look for the service manual to find the resistor values, since the discoloring makes them hard to make out the color bands and I've got some colorblindness anyway. While I'm in there I may as well reflow the solder joints and deoxit the switches and pots.

Hopefully, this fixes it, because it's a nice 60w/ch receiver.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I figured you guys might get a kick out of this here too:

From the NMD Vinyl Thread:

Context: Fellow goon Owsla had responded to my previous question about overloading my Expedit by telling me about the massively heavy equipment he keeps without issue on his. He attributed some of that to the weight and relative blocking power of his speakers, which he suggested may protect his Expedit from sideways jostles. People got to talking about the speakers (Pioneer HPM-60) and how good they were and then some stuff happened and I spent some money:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ok, so I spent Friday afternoon/evening finishing up with the inside of the Yamaha (CR-2040) and setting it up on the Expedit. No problems yet and the whole thing seems sturdy enough. But HOLY poo poo what a difference in sound. I really can't believe that I waited this long to swap it in. It turns out that buzzwords like "expanded soundstage," "clear imaging," and "you'll hear things you didn't hear before and play louder without distortion" aren't entirely audiophile bullshit- because I am an absolute believer in how much better this thing is at making sounds come out of speakers and headphones.

Now that's not to say that I still don't love my Nakamichi, or that it's not a fantastic sounding receiver- but it's pretty clear that it'll do better in a room with a more compact setup- like, say...my bedroom or office. I guess that going from 55 WPC to 120 has reset all of my expectations.

But wait, there's more....

So after reading Owsla's stuff about the HPM series and spending some time on Google, Ebay, and various nerd forums I decided to peruse Craigslist for audio stuff as I often do. Turns out that there was a guy selling a pair of HPM-900s a few blocks away.

The 900 is the successor to the HPM-100, and the consensus seems to be "sounds better, looks worse." The word is that Pioneer tightened up a lot of the disparity between high and low that made the 100s so polarizing, but they also replaced the fancy wood veneer with '80s vinyl and removed a lot of the internal bracing. They also replaced the paper woofer with a graphite polymer one- something that makes it better but also infinitely more fragile, expensive, and difficult to find if one of them needs replacing.

With all of that in mind, I headed to this guy's apartment around noon yesterday (Saturday). First impressions were good, considering that he's the sort of hi-fi collector that makes 99.9% of the people on Audiokarma look sane by comparison (I'd honestly call him a hoarder). Literally (yes, literally) every single wall, surface, and free spot that I looked at was covered in audio equipment. There were choice cuts from every conceivable era and manufacturer stacked on top of each other right up to the ceiling- rows of speakers on top of speakers on top of receivers on top of amps on top of more speakers.

On the one hand it was kind of cool- this guy was like the Pokemon champion of audio collectors. I wouldn't have my apartment this way but there was something sordidly impressive about seeing that scale of accomplishment, even with a hobby that most would find insufferable. On the other, it was pretty clear that he lived alone and that this stuff had completely dominated his life (there was gear in the bathroom). It was also pretty sad to see so many great pieces of equipment- things that probably would've been centerpieces in somebody's home and given them hours of enjoyment- stacked like skulls in a catacomb. None of them would probably ever see use again unless he sold them or died- and in that case they'd probably have a better chance of being dumped by family members/a landlord unaware of their value.

He had set the speakers in question up in the middle of his living room connected to a Sansui G-8000. He explained that everything on them was original- including the woofer cones- but they had been refoamed in ~2006 (aw yusss....jackpot). He simply wasn't a fan of the "West Coast" sound (any read about the HPM series will undoubtedly bring this term up multiple times) and was looking to get rid of them as fast as he could in order to make room for another pair of speakers that he was picking up on Monday. He cued up a playlist of various genres- which started with the orchestral opening of Tron: Legacy :pcgaming:- and within fifteen minutes I had learned two things:

1- I'm a big fan of the West Coast sound.

2- I'm so glad that luck pushed me in the direction of the CR-2040 instead of the Sansui G-8000 that I'd been hoping to score on Ebay at the time. This was back in December when I lived in Connecticut, and that particular bidding session had gotten way too expensive way too fast (like, 'going from $250 to $700+' expensive). Dejected, I checked Craigslist on a whim and found a dude in Queens selling the Yamaha for $90. The left channel didn't work well, it was missing the volume knob, somebody had spilled varnish on top, and the faceplate was absolutely covered in grime and ballpoint pen. Joke's on him though, because all it needed was some serious Deoxit and compressed air treatment ($30 total for supplies), a replacement knob ($15), a light cabinet sanding, and a lot of elbow grease (free) and now it totally slays- though it still needs new veneer. I think both receivers sound equally good, but the Sansui just looks gaudy as all gently caress in person by comparison. The soft aluminum and understated "Tivoli Audio" look on the Yamaha fits way better in my world of DWR and unapologetic Apple patronage than the "Jukebox from Xanadu" thing that the Sansui's got going on.

Anyway, we somehow managed to get both speakers in my tiny-rear end coupe (even if they are "lightened" compared to their predecessors, they still weigh 50 goddamn pounds each) and I got them home. Total expenditure- $250 for the pair.

So now take whatever improvement I got out of initially replacing the receiver and MULTIPLY IT BY, LIKE, TEN. I ran these against my pre-existing $16 Goodwill specials and it wasn't even a dignified fight. You'd get like 30% of the way up the volume scale and bass on the other speakers (Technics SB-K14) would just be a distorted, sloppy mess while the Pioneers would seem to suggest "you wanna go louder?" and then *more bass would simply appear*:iiam::iia: without a hint of sloppiness...just, these things don't loving quit.

They're perfect, everything sounds so transparent and precise but still kinda bright and in-your-face and...just loving amazing, really. I've spent the last day and a half throwing every kind of genre of music at them and I have yet to be disappointed. I'm so happy with the way this has been turning out. As far as I can tell, I've pretty much got my ideal setup here and I've spent less than half- and done it in half the time- of what I initially thought I would.

Next on my list is to get some kind of support for these to get them off of the ground a bit- both for sound and because I'm paranoid that somebody's gonna put a foot through one of those practically-irreplaceable woofer cones. That'll be followed by new veneer for the receiver which I've got all picked out- zebrawood (or, rather, its more ethically-sourced and half as-expensive dyed imitation counterpart). From there- adding a USB DAC and a green Debut Carbon to replace the TT (mostly because I think it looks cool)- and then on to headphones, I guess....:10bux::20bux::10bux::20bux:

Anyway here's pictures:

This is the receiver, looking less and less like a furniture collapse hazard as the days go by:

And here's how everything looked Friday afternoon:

Comparisons....

...and not even close. The Pioneers also weigh about 5 times as much.

New (old) hotness:

Edit:

And the old receiver, just for the hell of it:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Do the smaller expedits not come with wall anchors?

e: Oh, I see you've got some fancy paneling. I keep forgetting that there are places not like here where literally every house is brick and tile :australia:

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 29, 2013

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
So I recently came into ownership of this beast:

A Pioneer RX-390. I'm looking to hook up my SL-1200 turntable to it. While it does have a phono input on the back, I can't find a spot for connecting a ground wire. Anyone know where it would go?

Also I guess I should ask if it is any good. If not, I have a Technics SA-310 I could plug in instead.

Alienwarez
Feb 9, 2004

I've been collecting LP records in preparation for having enough disposable income to buy some entry level equipment, and now that I'm at that point it's time for me to ask about some poo poo that has probably been discussed many times in the thread.

I am primarily going to be listening to my music with my headphones, and I am starting out with no audio equipment whatsoever besides the headphones. I'm looking at getting either the Pro-ject Debut Carbon or the Denon DP-300f turntable and the TCC TC-750 phono preamp, and some sort of headphone amp for the bare-bones setup that I need to listen to my records.

Are there any recommendations for a headphone amp in a similar price category as the other equipment I've listed? Also, I might be totally wrong about what equipment I need, in which case I welcome any advice as to the best way to get the sounds off of the LPs and into my earholes.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Dr. Lenin posted:

A Pioneer RX-390. I'm looking to hook up my SL-1200 turntable to it. While it does have a phono input on the back, I can't find a spot for connecting a ground wire. Anyone know where it would go?

It probably came bundled with a turntable that routed the earth through one of the negative channels. It's pretty common.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Ron Burgundy posted:

It probably came bundled with a turntable that routed the earth through one of the negative channels. It's pretty common.

Yeah, there had been a turntable originally with it, but the guy who gave this to me didn't include it because he knew I had a much better one. My roommate told me I can just connect the ground wire to any screw along the edge of the chassis. Is this true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dishonorable Disco
Dec 22, 2009

the sun always shines on TV

Dr. Lenin posted:

Yeah, there had been a turntable originally with it, but the guy who gave this to me didn't include it because he knew I had a much better one. My roommate told me I can just connect the ground wire to any screw along the edge of the chassis. Is this true?

Hook up the turntable and switch to the phono input. You should hear the usual hum of an ungrounded turntable. If the hum goes away when you touch the ground wire to a chassis screw, you're good to go.