Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just started properly playing this after picking it up in a sale a while back. It might have had something to do with watching 9 1/2 hours of idle thumbs playing it. I started off as Wales and I have no idea what I'm doing and now one of my daughters is the queen of Scotland but it's super fun :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Allyn posted:

You can only appoint your wife or your mother to council positions, at least without modding. Even then I think they can only be your spymaster (but don't quote me on that). But mods to change that kind of thing (and make absolute cognatic succession available to non-Basques, etc -- generally making men and women equal) are pretty plentiful, and can generally be applied games that are already in progress without issue, if you want to use one.

Also some pagans can appoint any woman to the spymaster or court Chaplin/seer(ess) position.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:siren: LOSING IS FUN! :siren:

Gonna echo this. Some of my favorite moments in this game have been when I was at a sever disadvantage and I honeslty thought I was going to be hosed.

Probably my favorite moment was when I first got "Sword of Islam" I was playing as the Emir of Azerbaijan. The Seljurks lose their war against the Byzantines and the entire Sultanate collapsed into a independence rebellion, which I manage to win. So I start expaind North into the Caucuses when all of a sudden the Byzantines holy war me for what is essentially half my kingdom. They massively outnumbered me and the only advantage I had was a fuckton of daughters and sons, seriously this guy was fertile as hell and lived to be 83 (his stats were piss poor though go figure). So I start marrying them off to every Sunni Muslim that looks like they can help out. Its still not enough, I have one daughter left and decide to ship her off to the ruler of Cumania. Unfortunately he doesnt like me enough to join the war so I dont even bother asking, I do however on a long-shot send my Vizier to their capitol to improve relations. The war is going poorly I manage to hold them off for a good while with mercs and like a third of the Sunni world helping me but they just keep coming, when all of a sudden my chancellor reports success and the king of Cumania's disposition of me has increased. I immediately ask them to join the war, Im sitting at -50 war score with the Greeks sieging the last target of the war when bam 10K cumanians slam into the Empire from the north siege a couple of holdings and link up with my army pushing the Byzantines back. I mange to outright win the war and the resulting piety I gain is enough for my to name myself the Sunni Caliph. I then proceeded to declare a Jihad for a good chunk of Byzantium which thanks to allies and a coincidental Shia invasion I win.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Pakled posted:

This is even more gamey, but another benefit to bishop vassals is there's an easy way to get rid of them if they do get rebellious. Appoint them as your court chaplain and send them to convert a pagan ruler. 99% of the time, they'll get arrested and thus no longer a threat.

The gamey-ist of all: make EVERYONE a prince-bishop and use elective succession. People aren't allowed to vote for clergy so they're all basically forced to vote for your hand-picked successor.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
So I made a mod that some of y'all might be interested in. Incorporates a lot of this guy's work: expanding upon the potential of heresies.

With this, you can legimitise heresies and put them on an equal footing with their original parent religions. What's more, there are creatable titles for popes for all of the catholic heresies, and Caliphates for all the Muslim heresies, once they've been legitimised. For Christian heresies you can then turn the original major religion into a heresy of yours -- such as Catholicism becoming a Lollard heresy.

Legitimisating the Catholic heresies requires you to unseat the Pope from Rome, and an 80% religious authority. Doing so will create a new Pope for your heresy and seat him in Rome. Repudiating the original major religions has some much harder requirements -- generally a 95% RA, on top of controlling Rome/Alexandria/Constantinople. What's more, even when Catholicism/Orthodoxy/Miaphysitism have been repudiated, they can then in turn re-legitimise themselves if they come back to prominence (say, the Pope calls a crusade and takes back Rome).

For Muslims, you need Mecca and Medina to legitimise, and again 80% RA. Forming a Caliphate is then identical to that for Sunnis/Shiites (and pretty straightforward after legitimising, to be honest, given you need Mecca/Medina to do that too.)

It really gives heresies more flavour than just "oh hey I can holy war my neighbours".

It's not compatible with any other mods that edit landed_titles.txt, unfortunately. I tried to avoid it but it was unavoidable in the end. What's more, forming Caliphates seems to be hardcoded to only work for Sunnis and Shiites, so it has to be done through the decision menu instead. But it has the same requirements, so functionally there's no difference. Also I'm graphically challenged so none of the new titles have any logos associated with them :(

http://www.mediafire.com/?7o6ojgm1qgjpe9h

Also if anyone wants an 867-start Shattered World mod for vanilla that has 99% of the issues fixed, I've uploaded my copy of that too:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bl6dqdtb5v8h9zq

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Things are going exceedingly well for my game. Through some (accidentally) strategic marriages and going to bat for the correct team a couple times, I managed to secure a place in Ossory. It's just a matter of time, the current Countess has to die and then I have to die and bam inheritance magic I am now the owner of Ossory.

I also pressed one of my vassals claims on Ormonde. With retinues, it was way easy. In fact, I'm a little bummed how much of my success is basically just throwing money at mercenaries and watching dudes fight. But at least I got some scheming in.

The thing is now, a nephew of mine with a claim on my duchy is gathering men to take me on. I'm assuming this means mercenaries. I thought I could handle it, until I took a closer look. This guy is the Spymaster for a Countess who is the vassal of a King who is the vassal of... The Holy Roman Emperor. Yeah, no wonder they wouldn't excommunicate him.

So uh... how hosed am I?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

When he launches his attack he'll actually be put into a created title called <His name>'s host, and the HRE won't get involved. But hosts get tons of troops (although it scales compared to the size of whomever he's attacking) so start saving your money up now to defend against it. Also he doesn't actually hire mercenaries, he gets special event troops which are maintenence free (I think?) and don't have to be disbanded -- the same kind of thing people like England/Norway/Normandy start with in 1066 to simulate the Norman conquest.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If they do attack you, they won't have the HRE or any of their other patrons on their side. You've just encountered an adventurer.

Landless male courtiers with a claim on a title will sometimes decide to drop everything, leave their old life behind, recruit an army of mercenaries and adventurers, and invade the land they have a claim on. They'll usually spawn with an army approximately the size of your whole realm's levies. As long as your levies aren't depleted, you should be able to tip the tide in your favor by buying some mercenaries of your own when they do invade, so save up.

Alternatively, you could try to have him killed before he ever invades.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

My assassination attempts always come with insanely low success rates. I'm assuming that's a factor of my Intrigue score.

But I'm glad to hear I won't be facing the whole of the Catholic Church. I'll just hold my cash and be ready for a host to appear.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

My assassination attempts always come with insanely low success rates. I'm assuming that's a factor of my Intrigue score.
Yeah its tied to intrigue, although you can send your spymaster to whatever county the character is currently in to "build a spy network" to bump up the chance. Usually though its better to try and plot to assassinate someone rather than hiring an expensive assassin.

quote:

But I'm glad to hear I won't be facing the whole of the Catholic Church. I'll just hold my cash and be ready for a host to appear.
The HRE isnt the whole of the Catholic church. Matter of fact many Emperors of the HRE were famous for butting heads with the Pope.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Yeah, my knowledge of dark ages politics and religion betrays the fact that I'm not actually the target audience for this game. :eng99:

I'm having a blast, though. I'd say maybe I'll learn some stuff along the way, but I should probably not take my historical knowledge from a game where the Aztecs raid Europe.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

Yeah, my knowledge of dark ages politics and religion betrays the fact that I'm not actually the target audience for this game. :eng99:

Well actually with the exception of the 876 start date, the games is about "High Middle Ages" politics :eng101:

Edit:

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm having a blast, though. I'd say maybe I'll learn some stuff along the way, but I should probably not take my historical knowledge from a game where the Aztecs raid Europe.

They actually attempt to provide a possible historical basis for this though :)

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 26, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Little preview of what's to come for Sonendar v.1.05.3! :)

Women-Warriors of the Keshgara Steppes: The Zakrum-Marza

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Allyn posted:

When he launches his attack he'll actually be put into a created title called <His name>'s host, and the HRE won't get involved. But hosts get tons of troops (although it scales compared to the size of whomever he's attacking) so start saving your money up now to defend against it. Also he doesn't actually hire mercenaries, he gets special event troops which are maintenence free (I think?) and don't have to be disbanded -- the same kind of thing people like England/Norway/Normandy start with in 1066 to simulate the Norman conquest.

My most recent game featured an adventurer who decided that he wanted to become the Duke of Latium. He struck while the Pope was on crusade and won!

…Only to give back Rome and settle for a bishopric.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Evil Sagan posted:

While the game itself is not particularly historically accurate, the start positions generally are and I'll say that Paradox games, in particular Europa Universallis 2, taught me more about history than any school history class ever did--even if I had to supplement the game with reading history books to find out what actually happened in real life, I'd have never known why it might have been worth my time to read The Concise History of Austria if Paradox games hadn't shown me why that story might be interesting in the first place.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

A typhoid, smallpox and consumption outbreak at the same time across all of Wales, England and the south of Scotland. One of those is bad enough alone but all 3? Oh god.

Tank Sinatra
Dec 26, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

I tried that twice, no luck.

This has happened to me a few times. You need to go into the console, switch to the Holy Order leader, and disband your troops.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Sultan Tarquin posted:

A typhoid, smallpox and consumption outbreak at the same time across all of Wales, England and the south of Scotland. One of those is bad enough alone but all 3? Oh god.

Welcome to the Black Plague! Time to organise a holy war in Africa or Arabia, or risk having every noble in your realm die.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Trauma Tank posted:

Welcome to the Black Plague! Time to organise a holy war in Africa or Arabia, or risk having every noble in your realm die.

My heir and my daughter the queen of Scotland both died along with a bunch of other people :smith:

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Evil Sagan posted:

Are you using a plot or the default assassination? Plots tend to be much more effective, even if they also take much longer to actually happen and always carry the risk of getting yourself thrown in jail if you are a vassal/not independent.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SpRahl posted:

Also some pagans can appoint any woman to the spymaster or court Chaplin/seer(ess) position.

Gonna echo this. Some of my favorite moments in this game have been when I was at a sever disadvantage and I honeslty thought I was going to be hosed.

Probably my favorite moment was when I first got "Sword of Islam" I was playing as the Emir of Azerbaijan. The Seljurks lose their war against the Byzantines and the entire Sultanate collapsed into a independence rebellion, which I manage to win. So I start expaind North into the Caucuses when all of a sudden the Byzantines holy war me for what is essentially half my kingdom. They massively outnumbered me and the only advantage I had was a fuckton of daughters and sons, seriously this guy was fertile as hell and lived to be 83 (his stats were piss poor though go figure). So I start marrying them off to every Sunni Muslim that looks like they can help out. Its still not enough, I have one daughter left and decide to ship her off to the ruler of Cumania. Unfortunately he doesnt like me enough to join the war so I dont even bother asking, I do however on a long-shot send my Vizier to their capitol to improve relations. The war is going poorly I manage to hold them off for a good while with mercs and like a third of the Sunni world helping me but they just keep coming, when all of a sudden my chancellor reports success and the king of Cumania's disposition of me has increased. I immediately ask them to join the war, Im sitting at -50 war score with the Greeks sieging the last target of the war when bam 10K cumanians slam into the Empire from the north siege a couple of holdings and link up with my army pushing the Byzantines back. I mange to outright win the war and the resulting piety I gain is enough for my to name myself the Sunni Caliph. I then proceeded to declare a Jihad for a good chunk of Byzantium which thanks to allies and a coincidental Shia invasion I win.

I had a similar thing happen playing as the Kings of Georgia, where I became more powerful than the Byzantines and spent 50 whole years fending of the Seljuks and the Sunnis only to then be ruthlessly invaded by both Hordes.

Trauma Tank posted:

They removed the black plague from Vanilla didn't they? Because of how utterly terrible it was to play through?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They removed the black plague from Vanilla didn't they? Because of how utterly terrible it was to play through?

Basically, yes. It decimated the game world and made it all to easy to get gameovers. I imagine having all three of those diseases break out at once may be fairly similar, however.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Trauma Tank posted:

Basically, yes. It decimated the game world and made it all to easy to get gameovers. I imagine having all three of those diseases break out at once may be fairly similar, however.

That's lame. The Black Plague should be terrible and a major risk of a game over. It should be something to dread on a play through.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The only way to get through it would be having a huge dynasty and hope the gods of statistics are with you.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Boiled Water posted:

The only way to get through it would be having a huge dynasty and hope the gods of statistics are with you.

Or have special events where you pay some gold to send for a trained medicus for a 50% survival chance :v:

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

Yureina posted:

Are you using a plot or the default assassination? Plots tend to be much more effective, even if they also take much longer to actually happen and always carry the risk of getting yourself thrown in jail if you are a vassal/not independent.

If you do get thrown in jail, is there any way of being released without just ransoming yourself out? The King of Scotland did not appreciate me trying to murder one of my vassals, and I ended up paying 145 gold for my freedom, which was something like 5 years worth of income at the time. There was an "escape prison" ambition available (which I think is from CK2+), but is there a chance your liege might eventually just decide to release you? We were best buddies at the time too, so I was a bit surprised that he didn't just ask me to end my plot, but threw me straight into jail.

Similarly, is there a chance for your liege's imprison attempt to fail, where you can decide to rise up in rebellion, like there is for other characters when you try to imprison them?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Boiled Water posted:

I'd just code it so it doesn't wipe out the entire dynasty of player characters, a bit gamey perhaps but it's more fun than just not having plague events at all. I mean you can literally make it so that player-controlled characters can't die from plague if they're the last male member of their dynasty.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Tank Sinatra posted:

This has happened to me a few times. You need to go into the console, switch to the Holy Order leader, and disband your troops.

I didn't know you could play as Holy Order leaders! In the end I solved the problem by declaring war on him because I had a de jure claim on the province. Once I beat him the army disbanded.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Sagan posted:

And then after considering how my first daughter tried to murder my heir after getting married to some count, I realize that I should basically never let first (or maybe even second) daughters get married. They can't have lives because then their ambition might threaten my own. :ohdear:

This reminds me of the game I was playing last night. I was the king of Britany and was looking to push into Great Britain since it seemed like it would be safer to pick off a fragmenting kingdom than try to eat away at France. So in between the usual civil wars, invasions, and the like, I married a Welsh princess. The problem was that she wouldn't give me a son. She was in her mid-30's when I noticed I had a genius with high intrigue and diplomacy come of age in my court. Since Wales wasn't coming together for me I decided that I would murder my wife, marry the new hot girl, and make some solid heirs which the next generation could figure out.

Except everyone loved my wife. My own intrigue was pretty weak and despite having a court filled with vassals who loved me 100% they still liked her more. I considered asking the pope for a divorce on the basis that any woman who could only make daughters was obviously not a true Christian, but I considered that a last resort. My new love, who I attempted to seduce and botch it up badly, wasn't getting any younger, however. Finally, in the middle of all of this my wife manages to pop out an heir but I'm set in my course.

Finally, I give up. My daughters are coming of age and getting married off to other kings who are so desperate for them that I get letters on their sixteenth birthdays asking for their hand (and the rest of them, I suppose). I get the pope to grant me a divorce (after buttering him up because in the meantime he decided that he liked my wife more than me), and I finally have a free hand to get my true love to marry me or be executed.

But there's a new wrinkle. I open up the people finder to select her and I see that there's an almost as skilled princess of Byzantium available. The opportunity is too good to waste so I set aside my feelings and marry for politics. I get my true love married off to someone who's got a high intrigue and plan to use her as a tutor for my kids. It's not the ideal situation, but so it goes sometimes.

That's when I notice how much of the Byzantine empire my wife is an heir to.

Her kid brother and the only son of the Emperor lasts about two months. The seven year old mysteriously died of alcohol poisoning at a feast. During the mourning period my wife and her sisters got their own duchies to rule. My true love's husband is a man with 160% plot power in the sister-in-law's court so I start trying to butter him up. And screw his wife. She gets pregnant but fortunately the super-intriguer doesn't catch on that his new son looks just like me.

Unfortunately I couldn't talk him into the assassination before I became an uncle but what's one more murder on the docket? That's what indulgences are for, after all.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Flesnolk posted:

I didn't know you could play as Holy Order leaders! In the end I solved the problem by declaring war on him because I had a de jure claim on the province. Once I beat him the army disbanded.

I think its only something you can do via console, unless they are landed. (But didn't they remove them being able to bcome landed? I seem to remember people on the Paradox forum losing their collective poo poo over that.)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think its only something you can do via console, unless they are landed. (But didn't they remove them being able to bcome landed? I seem to remember people on the Paradox forum losing their collective poo poo over that.)

Pretty sure you can start as the Teutonic Order from one of the later bookmarks, at least

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Oh, I have a huge Typhus problem for some other sickness- any advice on dealing with that or does it basically just make sure that a lot of the world gets sick?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Rapdawg posted:

Oh, I have a huge Typhus problem for some other sickness- any advice on dealing with that or does it basically just make sure that a lot of the world gets sick?

You can place your character and a his adult male children in charge of an army and load them into a boat offshore, or move the army into a province that is uninfected. Have children be educated by people in counties not diseased and make your wife your spymaster and send her off to scheme in the middle of nowhere.
You could move your capitol to protect your court but honestly thats probably not worth it now, before when the black death basically meant a game over yeah.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Allyn posted:

Pretty sure you can start as the Teutonic Order from one of the later bookmarks, at least

That was, I think, made possible by landing them in the first the place. I don't think they can *become* landed through normal play. I could be wrong.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

In an old CK2+ game as the Lithuanian empire I gave a kingdom title to the Romuva holy order. Then the leader of the order died and I inherited it and then could hire myself for zero piety. I haven't tried it since then but I guess if they removed it it was because it was too gamey a tactic.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

beefart posted:

In an old CK2+ game as the Lithuanian empire I gave a kingdom title to the Romuva holy order. Then the leader of the order died and I inherited it and then could hire myself for zero piety. I haven't tried it since then but I guess if they removed it it was because it was too gamey a tactic.

Yeah iirc (and again, I could be entirely wrong) it broke poo poo constantly.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ugh, finally form the Empire of Scandanavia. Things are going peachy, next on the agenda is I'll just reform the ole religion and uhh, crap. The norse moral authority is...2. I hold 3 of the holy sites for 30% but losing 24% for lost holy wars. Who is losing these holy wars? Does the negative penalty go away? I need tips on increasing moral authority :(

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

Ugh, finally form the Empire of Scandanavia. Things are going peachy, next on the agenda is I'll just reform the ole religion and uhh, crap. The norse moral authority is...2. I hold 3 of the holy sites for 30% but losing 24% for lost holy wars. Who is losing these holy wars? Does the negative penalty go away? I need tips on increasing moral authority :(

Perhaps you should consider God's Own Religion :catholic:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

It's +/- 3% for 20 years, depending on whether someone of your faith won or lost a holy war. You also get +/- 1% for 20 years if you win a war over a single county. So you either need to grab the last two sites (if you can prey on a weak/deposed Karling) or spam county conquests on weak pagans to the east, I would suggest. Also intervene in any Norse holy war you can to try and make sure it wins.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
May I suggest the warmth and love of Christ, our most Orthodox lord.. (BYZ)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
How do I send missionaries to pagan countries? I assumed it was the Proselytize task for chaplains/imams, but it will only let me place him in my own territory with that function.

• Locked thread