Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Kins posted:

Today's release: A singleplayer-only version of Brutal Legend, 33%-off for the first week at :10bux:.

That's so weird. I guess because the multiplayer is built around Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Normally I'd "double dip" whenever a game I have on Steam also shows up on Gog.com because I hate DRM with a passion (Steam is tolerable at least but it's still DRM), but I'm going to pass on Brutal Legend since I feel the game is built around it's Multiplayer component, and without it, it's a bit lacking.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 23, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

They featured the game DRM-free on Humble Bundle a while ago. I wonder if they stripped down the MP from that version, too.

Dec 26, 2012

al-azad posted:

I love Brutal Legend. I love the base game and the stage battles. I feel it had the same poor reception of Battlezone 2, another amalgamation of action and RTS that put off players who expected it to be one thing over the other. But the trick to the stage battles is to treat them like MOBAs except the creeps/minions are under your control. It's directly inspired by Herzog Zwei so if you've played that you know what to expect: build up units, harry the enemy, and by all means fight your own battles because you're the strongest "unit" in the game.

I always saw it as a descendant of Sacrifice, personally.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Saoshyant posted:

They featured the game DRM-free on Humble Bundle a while ago. I wonder if they stripped down the MP from that version, too.
Maybe/probably, but that came with a Steam key anyway. The GoG one doesn't/can't.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Man, I finally beat that bullshit mission in Age of Wonders, and it really is bullshit. There are three prominent races on the map, and they're all warring with you. The humans start off significantly better off than everyone else, and they are GUNNING for you. Even though they are warring with the other races, they go out of their way to target you over them, and dick you over as early as possible, and can do so thanks to the AI not being affected by fog of war.

On one hand, it required me to do a lot of thinking and strategizing so I could figure out how to do the mission effectively, take and hold the ground I needed, build up my resources, and mass my army to defeat the humans. On the other hand, it's still bullshit and it took hours and I dread where this game is going to go from here.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any thoughts on Star Wolves? I found an old magazine game disc with the game. Of course, it's all 5s back on the GOG page. Just want to know if it's worth getting into before committing the time, since Russian RPGs are notoriously convoluted. Yay or nay, SA?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I've asked it before and gotten mumbles of "maybe"s and "in the pipeline"s and "on the list"s but does anyone know a definitive answer to:

Can we expect Privateer 2 any time in the next, oh, year or so? Or ever?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

BadAstronaut posted:

I've asked it before and gotten mumbles of "maybe"s and "in the pipeline"s and "on the list"s but does anyone know a definitive answer to:

I think it's on the list in the pipeline maybe.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Phew!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Any thoughts on Star Wolves? I found an old magazine game disc with the game. Of course, it's all 5s back on the GOG page. Just want to know if it's worth getting into before committing the time, since Russian RPGs are notoriously convoluted. Yay or nay, SA?

There's actually far less depth than you might expect. And the game kinda just continues on a poorly translated (/written in the first place) railroad unit it ends. It amused me for a while. I'd wait for a sale.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

Don't expect it. The FMVs features several prominent actors like Clive Owen, John Hurt and David Warner! The original contracts would not have included any digital distribution rights(the game was released in 1996). Their lawyers would have a field day with GOG.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117391/fullcredits

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
That makes no sense. If they even get royalties or a portion of the profits, why would the form of distribution matter for the contract? Besides, WC III and IV are on GoG and they too have actual well known actors like Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Biff and Malcolm McDowell.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Load up Privateer and fight a Jinscilla Skull. If you win, it's coming.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 26, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Two quick questions:

Since GOG seems to have a backlog of games in its release schedule and then puts them out for sale a few at a time at most on Tuesdays and Thursdays, is there actually a page where they list games that they have acquired fully and will be coming to GOG at some point, or is it mostly just speculation and the actual games on the Approved & Coming Soon list are known only to people in the company? This might sound like a stupid question, but the way people talk I'm starting to wonder...

Secondly, what was wrong with Eador that it got a 3-star rating? For GOG, that's about the equivalent of an F-----, and since it's on sale this weekend I just wondered what must be wrong with it to get such a low rating compared to everything else.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Regarding Eador, its a good game but I think the main reasons for the low score are that its still Eador, like a direct copy of the original, and it was pretty buggy when it was first released. Since then there's been some patches and it runs great for me at least, but given that it doesn't have anything that the original doesn't have (besides nice graphics) GoG people are of course going to favor the more retro version.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

JustJeff88 posted:

Two quick questions:

Since GOG seems to have a backlog of games in its release schedule and then puts them out for sale a few at a time at most on Tuesdays and Thursdays, is there actually a page where they list games that they have acquired fully and will be coming to GOG at some point, or is it mostly just speculation and the actual games on the Approved & Coming Soon list are known only to people in the company? This might sound like a stupid question, but the way people talk I'm starting to wonder...

There is no publicly available list. There's at least one person in this thread who have insider info though, like a QA tester.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So I'm getting around to playing the Rollercoaster Tycoon games for the first time, starting with 3 (it's shiny and has pools). Is there any particular trick to LIM coasters that won't make the Intensity ratings shoot to super extreme and the Excitement ratings shoot to nothing? It seems people just don't like breakneck speed. Could always throw lots of brakes, but that seems like it would defeat the point of a launched coaster.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It's probably just your G-forces being way too high. How tight and steep are your curves and inclines?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

DeathChicken posted:

So I'm getting around to playing the Rollercoaster Tycoon games for the first time, starting with 3 (it's shiny and has pools). Is there any particular trick to LIM coasters that won't make the Intensity ratings shoot to super extreme and the Excitement ratings shoot to nothing? It seems people just don't like breakneck speed. Could always throw lots of brakes, but that seems like it would defeat the point of a launched coaster.

Going through turns and loops at high speed causes high g-forces which is physically painful to experience. That's what intensity is. You need to kill speed before going through turns or small inversions; brakes aren't actually a good way to do this because a sharp speed drop can also cause G-forces. Have an upward hill or reduce your launch speed.

e: You can check my post history in this thread for advice for 1+2; a lot of the economic stuff doesn't work but I believe all the physics remains basically the same.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 27, 2013

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, it seems my big problem was that I had banked turns to dull the speed a little, but I wasn't dragging out the banked sections of track enough. Making the individual banked track bits longer during the curves reduced things to a nice High/High/High.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
The latest deal is Blade of Darkness (Severance) for $2.39

Am I right in saying this is by the same team as Die by the Sword ? if that's true then what are the controls like? That would be the real deal-breaker for me.

Also, how honest is it to describe it as a proto-Dark Souls? I don't really mind how hard it is but if it's atmospheric then that's a win for me.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I really liked the original Star Wolves, despite it being buggy as poo poo. 2 was mediocre at best, 3 was a step in the right direction but not quite there. And as other people noted, the translation is worse than bad (though some people enjoy that kind of thing). I liked the idea of things like being payed in stock (which you only ever saw in one mission) which would rise and fall in worth depending on your actions, and the massive amounts of guns you can fit onto your ships. Disliked the slow speed on some missions when all you wanna do is explore everywhere.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
My game Black Annex has been in the top 15 "Wishlist" games since PAXAus. GOGcom just emailed me because they noticed. I guess they actually pay attention. That's loving awesome.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I really wish the old Blade Runner game by Westwood would end up on GOG one day, I've been itching to replay it but I don't have the game anymore and just thinking about all the steps I'd need to take to get it playable on modern systems even if I did have it, gives me a headache.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does anyone own Robinson's Requiem, and have access to the manual? This is a bit of an odd question, but I'm trying to figure out who drew the cover art for it, and Google is getting me nowhere.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does anyone own Robinson's Requiem, and have access to the manual? This is a bit of an odd question, but I'm trying to figure out who drew the cover art for it, and Google is getting me nowhere.

I have it. Doesn't say.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I really want to get Pathologic, but its not even on sale and I know I won't play it right away...

Gaaaaaah!!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I really wish the old Blade Runner game by Westwood would end up on GOG one day, I've been itching to replay it but I don't have the game anymore and just thinking about all the steps I'd need to take to get it playable on modern systems even if I did have it, gives me a headache.

I need to get through it again but I remember there were core clocking issues where you needed to underclock your processor to get by some quicktime scenes which you would just blow up with no chance of survival.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Mobygames posted:

Box Illustration Anthony Roberts
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/robinsons-requiem/credits

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still say that game has a better plot than the movie, as it plays the agent side of the universe much cleaner.

...And before I get roughed up by film enthusiasts, I find the universe that was built up in Bladerunner being one of the best in concept, but it's so woefully underused in the movie. I love the movie for its aesthetics and actor performances, but dislike it for its shotgun attitude to plot development, which the game had a much more traditional take on (curiously enough, it being a game and all).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Hidden Asbestos posted:

The latest deal is Blade of Darkness (Severance) for $2.39

Am I right in saying this is by the same team as Die by the Sword ? if that's true then what are the controls like? That would be the real deal-breaker for me.

Also, how honest is it to describe it as a proto-Dark Souls? I don't really mind how hard it is but if it's atmospheric then that's a win for me.

The controls are reasonable; it takes a bit of practice to get the timing right for special moves, but movement is generally fine (once you learn not to tap forward twice when you're near a large fall).
If you play it like Dark Souls - patience, learning enemy combos - it's not overly hard, but it can be tricky in spots and bastard-hard in one or two places (it's also very easy to mod the file that determines your own HP). Atmosphere is definitely something the game's got going for it, and the actual layout/design of some of the levels is fantastic.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

I have it. Doesn't say.

Thanks for checking.

Awesome, thanks. I saw the piece in a coffee table art book I had as a kid, and I've spent the whole afternoon trying to find out who it was by.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thanks for checking.

Awesome, thanks. I saw the piece in a coffee table art book I had as a kid, and I've spent the whole afternoon trying to find out who it was by.
Cool. I had some of his art too in this weird compilation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terran_Trade_Authority#Spacecraft_2000-2100_AD

I never made the connection.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

WASDF posted:

I really want to get Pathologic, but its not even on sale and I know I won't play it right away...

Gaaaaaah!!

Oh, I had no idea GOG had Pathologic! That means that I can finally abandon my GamersGate account, since the few games I own on there are now all available on either GOG or Steam.

It's nice having just two places for games that I bought and may or may not ever end up playing, I'll tell you that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Cool. I had some of his art too in this weird compilation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terran_Trade_Authority#Spacecraft_2000-2100_AD

I never made the connection.

I was actually trying to find out the title of the book I mentioned, and all I remembered for sure was the RR cover being in it. I was digging around earlier and based on the cover felt there was a good chance it was one of the TTA books (either 2000-2100 or 2200AD), but I couldn't find proof. You've just confirmed my beliefs.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Age of Wonders has gotten significantly more tolerable since I restarted it on Easy difficulty and rebuilt my hero. I just can't believe how balls-out ruthless the game is even on Normal difficulty, and I'm really hoping I can actually finish the game now on Easy.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Mug posted:

My game Black Annex has been in the top 15 "Wishlist" games since PAXAus. GOGcom just emailed me because they noticed. I guess they actually pay attention. That's loving awesome.

This is awesome! I bet GOG would be a good fit.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Is Black Annex a game about a really, really evil secondary building that was added when the first one filled up? Or some sort of separate-but-equal facility for African Americans in the aftermath of Brown v Board of Education, and the end boss is Governor Faubus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Rashomon posted:

Is Black Annex a game about a really, really evil secondary building that was added when the first one filled up? Or some sort of separate-but-equal facility for African Americans in the aftermath of Brown v Board of Education, and the end boss is Governor Faubus?

Yes to all those things.

(Black is a synonym for hostile, and annex is a verb meaning "to take over")