Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

kastein posted:

I don't wear safety glasses because they enrage me. At least, the birth-control style ones that actually do anything enrage me. All they do is push my glasses all over the place and collect sweat and itch.

So get some good prescription safety glasses, duh. Wearing glasses under glasses is for chumps. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Tiny tiny fragment from grinding (basically one of the sparks) made it into my eye on new years eve 09-10. I definitely felt it hit, from the amount of pain I thought it was a lot bigger, couldn't see anything in the mirror so I thought it just scratched my eye. 3 days later it was getting increasingly painful, extremely sensitive to light, etc, I checked for stuff in there probably a dozen times. Was at a friends house with the lights mounted at a different angle and finally saw it.

Was it in there long enough for you to start getting cold symptoms? Because your story sounds exactly like what happened to me a year or so ago. It was loving miserable and kept getting worse after I assumed the same (scratched). This ended up with me standing in the shower at 4 AM (after the third night of not being able to sleep) with the shower head just about touching my eye while I was holding it open. After a couple of minutes there was a quick flash of pain and then ridiculous, ridiculous relief. When I woke back up in the morning my eye was nasty red still and a little itchy but at that point I could ever remember feeling any better. The relief was indescribable.

And my friend (a carpenter who has had a lot of poo poo in his eyes) was the one who told me there was probably still something in my eye when we were driving somewhere and I was all snotty a few days later. I had no idea those things were connected, but he said it's happened to him in the past and drat if he wasn't right. The cold symptoms were 100% gone the morning after it came out.

I've always been good with safety glasses...or so I though, but this was a piece of rust that fell in my eye while I was pulling some trailer wiring out while laying under a truck. Not the kind of thing I every put safety glasses on for before.

Now I wear at least something all the time. I hate/hated them as well, so I started wearing my shooting glasses (Oakleys with various shades of ballistic rated lenses) for "light duties" like that and the birth control ones for grinding/cutting/things I used to think were the only reasons to wear glasses.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Splizwarf posted:

So get some good prescription safety glasses, duh. Wearing glasses under glasses is for chumps. :colbert:

gently caress that noise, the second I have a good eyecare plan again and some cash saved up I am probably going to get lasik. So in a couple years most likely - I've been reducing my prescription by .25 dioptre every year or two simply by not wearing glasses for ~3 days before each prescription check (I think it makes my eyes exercise a bit and pulls the prescription down gradually instead of letting them get lazy) and I want to see how long that will continue for.

Motronic posted:

Was it in there long enough for you to start getting cold symptoms? Because your story sounds exactly like what happened to me a year or so ago. It was loving miserable and kept getting worse after I assumed the same (scratched). This ended up with me standing in the shower at 4 AM (after the third night of not being able to sleep) with the shower head just about touching my eye while I was holding it open. After a couple of minutes there was a quick flash of pain and then ridiculous, ridiculous relief. When I woke back up in the morning my eye was nasty red still and a little itchy but at that point I could ever remember feeling any better. The relief was indescribable.

Yeah, that started the next day. The tear ducts drain into either the sinuses or the nasal cavity, so if your eye is getting infected/irritated and tearing up a lot, it will cause cold-like symptoms. This is also why kids get snotty when they cry.

The funny thing is that I was wearing my polycarb eyeglasses when it happened. Every single person I talked to at work afterwards (after being out/working with my laptop from the hospital waiting room for several days) said "what, weren't you wearing your glasses?"

I was always allowed to just wear my normal eyeglasses as safety glasses in the labs at work, so I assumed they did OK, even though that was dumb and I should have known that open-side glasses would let anything and everything in. Lesson learned, but not really followed (I still need to be better about this.)

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

gently caress that noise, the second I have a good eyecare plan again and some cash saved up I am probably going to get lasik. So in a couple years most likely - I've been reducing my prescription by .25 dioptre every year or two simply by not wearing glasses for ~3 days before each prescription check (I think it makes my eyes exercise a bit and pulls the prescription down gradually instead of letting them get lazy) and I want to see how long that will continue for.

Have you talked to your doctor about that? You usually don't get considered for LASIK until your prescription has stabilized for a couple years.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Have you talked to your doctor about that? You usually don't get considered for LASIK until your prescription has stabilized for a couple years.

Nah, last time I had money I was buying a house, not considering LASIK. So I haven't really done much about it.

My prescription was actually stable for several years before I started fixing it... I was at a -4.25 for ~3-4 years, then lost my glasses in early 2009 and couldn't get new ones for a few days, at which point my prescription improved to a -4. I said "hmm that is interesting" to myself and tried it again the next year, and sure enough I was down to a -3.75. This has continued and I'm now at a -3.25.

If I felt like spending a bit more money I'd try doing this every 6 months instead of every year or two just to see if I could push things a bit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

LASIK is probably the best thing I ever did and worth every penny. I went from 20/400 or something hilarious like that to 20/15.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Can I use air tool quick-connects and hose for water?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I dont see why you cant, but the flow will be severely reduced.

I think they make pretty specific adapters at the local home depot or what ever.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, they have a series of QD water hose fittings at Home Depot for water lines. Haven't tried them but they look okay.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I'm sick of threading a million fittings to set up for and tear down from homebrewing and I've been working someplace with shop air lately, so it's been on my mind. Reduced flow isn't a big deal, I can plan around it. Thanks.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Oh well, if that's the case, I would really steer you clear of that.

I mean, you can do it, but the cleanliness factor is where I would put the whole no thing on. I think some of the fittings are stainless, but even then.... meh. Doing a quick Google search under the shopping using "food grade quick disconnect hose fittings" pulls up a ton of items.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I wouldn't trust a single thing at HF to be safe for anything I'm going to use on food. Thankfully, I've never encountered a situation where I need a breaker bar for my food.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
I'd imagine you'd get some lead particulate in your beer otherwise.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Food grade plastic hose and fittings are pretty cheap.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=976&parentcatid=744

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
No worries, I was looking for quick-connects on the non-potable side of a chiller and for cleanup. I wouldn't put hot wort through anything not labeled food-grade.

IOC, that's kinda out of left field. Did you read Home Depot as Harbor Freight? :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

IOC, that's kinda out of left field. Did you read Home Depot as Harbor Freight? :v:

I must have :downs: Maybe it's because I've actually had better results buying my QD fittings at Harbor Freight instead of Home Depot.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Splizwarf posted:

No worries, I was looking for quick-connects on the non-potable side of a chiller and for cleanup. I wouldn't put hot wort through anything not labeled food-grade.

Oh well then by all means buy the other version! I thought you were doing something else with it.

In other news, lets bring this over to the Misc Chat thread, I would like to see some of your stuff and possibly some good recipes for a good pilsner.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

In other news, lets bring this over to the Misc Chat thread, I would like to see some of your stuff and possibly some good recipes for a good pilsner.
I think you're looking for The Homebrewing Thread.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

some good recipes for a good pilsner.

Working on the hobs, boss. (Cascade and Nugget)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Any recommendations on bolt cutters? I'd like to get a very powerful/high-quality set to keep in my trunk.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
These are surprisingly well-reviewed:
http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-bolt-cutters-41149.html

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I need an around the house drill. Nothing too powerful, just drilling some holes in the walls to hang curtains and the like. I'm thinking corded because my relationship with batteries is either them being dead when I need them or running out half way through the job. Plus, corded drills are cheaper and I really, really don't need anything fancy.

Any recommendations?

Maybe I should steal my dad's 35 year old Craftsman...

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Uthor posted:

I need an around the house drill. Nothing too powerful, just drilling some holes in the walls to hang curtains and the like. I'm thinking corded because my relationship with batteries is either them being dead when I need them or running out half way through the job. Plus, corded drills are cheaper and I really, really don't need anything fancy.

Any recommendations?

Maybe I should steal my dad's 35 year old Craftsman...

I'd get a $20 cordless drill from Harbor Freight. Corded drills are kind of a pain when you have to drag out extension cords just to reach a spot in the middle of the room. Spend an extra $10 to get the battery charger so it can sit there trickle charging all the time too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Can you just leave tool batteries on the charger for, probably, months without damage? Cause, if so, I'd consider splurging a little on a decent cordless.

I'd much rather deal with dragging out an extension cord than waiting for a dead battery to charge, as has been my usual experience.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Uthor posted:

Can you just leave tool batteries on the charger for, probably, months without damage? Cause, if so, I'd consider splurging a little on a decent cordless.

I'd much rather deal with dragging out an extension cord than waiting for a dead battery to charge, as has been my usual experience.

Dewalt has a 15 min quick charger for their batteries - they otherwise take an hour, which isn't too bad really.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Uthor posted:

Modern lithium battieries and a name brand tool, yeah sure. Chargers are much smarter these days.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thanks.

Unrelated: have some pictures of the tool box on the ISS. I'm on my phone or I'd embed the images.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timpeake/sets/72157634315750824/

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Uthor posted:

Yes. I know my Makitas are specifically built to rapid charge up to 80% then they trickle until they're pulled. I run two of the new 18v white batteries, a high capacity and a regular sized one. Both have had zero problems being on or off the charger for any amount of time.

e: Those ISS pictures are awesome.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Uthor posted:

Unrelated: have some pictures of the tool box on the ISS. I'm on my phone or I'd embed the images.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timpeake/sets/72157634315750824/

I absolutely cannot wait to see Adam Savage build a replica ISS toolchest.
(I don't know whether he will or not, but having watched his podcast and video series, it's right up his alley).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Also don't keep your batteries and charger in your sweltering and/or freezing garage. Keep them inside an air conditioned space.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

peepsalot posted:

Also don't keep your batteries and charger in your sweltering and/or freezing garage. Keep them inside an air conditioned space.

Ha, I was going to ask. The garage was nice and hot today and I can imagine it being freezing in the winter, but I have a nice utility room with plenty of storage.

Hypnolobster posted:

Modern lithium battieries and a name brand tool, yeah sure. Chargers are much smarter these days.

So, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch? Anything else? Take something off the list? I have Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards near me. I'm thinking of grabbing a 3/8" unless a 1/2" drill is worth the extra cost.

I was hoping my mom's McMaster discount would hook me up, but she only gets like 10% off power tools (as opposed to ~50% on everything else), which barely covers the McMaster markup. :( Maybe I'll get her to pick up a drill bit set for me (she got my friend a hole saw kit for 55% off last week).

Uthor fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 23, 2013

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

kastein posted:

Wear your goddamn mask. I have been getting lazy about them recently, which is loving stupid.

Same thing here, can't stress this enough. I once got some aluminum drill shaving in my eye cleaning up after a project back in high school. I had to get them removed an rock a pirate patch for a while. I wore safety glasses after than until... last year I got a good size piece of flaming steel spark in my eye while using a chopsaw that flew right under my glasses. I got it out with a sharp pair of fine point tweezers after a few tries in the mirror the next day. I could feel it scratching my eyelid everytime I blinked. That poo poo sucked bad, now I use a big face shield of my welding mask on grind mode.

I also got a molten mig ball fly directly in my ear canal once while welding under the truck. That was the worst.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Holdbrooks posted:

Same thing here, can't stress this enough. I once got some aluminum drill shaving in my eye cleaning up after a project back in high school. I had to get them removed an rock a pirate patch for a while. I wore safety glasses after than until... last year I got a good size piece of flaming steel spark in my eye while using a chopsaw that flew right under my glasses. I got it out with a sharp pair of fine point tweezers after a few tries in the mirror the next day. I could feel it scratching my eyelid everytime I blinked. That poo poo sucked bad, now I use a big face shield of my welding mask on grind mode.

I also got a molten mig ball fly directly in my ear canal once while welding under the truck. That was the worst.

oh god :gonk:
I had that happen in like December while welding on ACEofsnett's truck at the cutter/grinder shop he and his dad used to run. According to his dad (who is a gulf war vet and 6'20" cold killin' for fun) I "seemed kinda whiny" :haw:

All I heard was a horrible searing sizzling noise as the ball of molten metal and slag rolled around in the earwax on my eardrum, combined with a rather urgent need to scream and thrash around while I pictured it melting straight through my head like the China Syndrome, so I most likely did sound a bit whiny about it. Fortunately it didn't even really do any permanent damage, just a first degree burn to my eardrum that healed within a few days.

This is why I either swivel my welding helmet on my head so that it blocks anything from getting near my ear, or wear disposable earplugs at all times while welding now. gently caress ever having that happen again.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Uthor posted:

All the Milwaukee batteries have a very accurate built in gauge on them- its pretty awesome if your going up on a roof or something or your going out in the field- check your little pile of batteries, grab the ones that are above 75%.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I am a little surprised nobody makes a welding helmet with leather earflaps, like on a deerstalker.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Holdbrooks posted:

My eyes had a rough go of it when I was younger. When I was about 10, I was pitching glass bottles into a recycling bin and one shattered, sending slivers of glass into my right eye. Trip to the ER and a few days with an eye patch and I was fine. A couple of years later, I clotheslined myself on bailing twine across my left eye while playing soccer at boy scout summer camp. Ran into the rope, which was at eye level for some dumbass reason, at full sprint with my eyes wide open. Somehow I can still see fine out of my left eye, but 18 years after the incident, there is still scar tissue going from my eye to the socket.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Splizwarf posted:

I am a little surprised nobody makes a welding helmet with leather earflaps, like on a deerstalker.

That's a good idea, I might have to mod mine to add a set. I never want to experience that again.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Krakkles posted:

Any recommendations on bolt cutters? I'd like to get a very powerful/high-quality set to keep in my trunk.

Could easily be misinterpreted by law enforcement officers. It's generally not recommendable to drive around with bolt cutters.

That said, H.K. Porter makes very nice industrial grade bolt cutters - not much will withstand a 42" H.K. Porter. For casual use, Knipex are neat too.

Happy motorcycle stealing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

Happy motorcycle stealing.

Hey now, let's not jump to conclusions. He could be a bookie, or a mob enforcer. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

bandman posted:

My eyes had a rough go of it when I was younger. When I was about 10, I was pitching glass bottles into a recycling bin and one shattered, sending slivers of glass into my right eye. Trip to the ER and a few days with an eye patch and I was fine. A couple of years later, I clotheslined myself on bailing twine across my left eye while playing soccer at boy scout summer camp. Ran into the rope, which was at eye level for some dumbass reason, at full sprint with my eyes wide open. Somehow I can still see fine out of my left eye, but 18 years after the incident, there is still scar tissue going from my eye to the socket.

When I was about 9 I rode my bike by a campfire (out on a camping trip) and heard a "pop" and suddenly had searing pain in my eye. After crying like a baby for like 6 hours and my eye looking redder and redder, my parents found an eye doctor, who removed an inch-long splinter of burnt wood from behind my lower eyelid.

I think that must've literally been a one-in-a-million shot to have that happen; I was like 10 feet from the campfire in question.