Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

A friend just told me about Mindshift Gear Rotation 180: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/134466492/rotation180-photo-backpack

http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2013/04/05/mindshift-gears-new-rotation-180-pro-full-review/

Mind. Blown. No idea about price or availability though.

Edit: holy crap I think I stick with normal gear: "Rotation 180 Pro – $389.99"

I just cant stop hatin on this bag. It looks horrible for back country use. Maybe they would loan me one for a review since I have about 200miles of PCT to cover this summer. Just kidding, that looks like it wouldn't make it 10 miles before it got uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

powderific posted:

F-stop and Clik Elite make backpacks that are more geared towards hiking and have space for other stuff. F-Stop also makes padded, zippered inserts for their own bags that'd work well with other bags too (they're pricy though.)

That F-Stop stuff looks pretty cool. I've been searching for a good backpack/photobag to do a hike in/hike out overnight camping trip.

Musket posted:

I just cant stop hatin on this bag. It looks horrible for back country use. Maybe they would loan me one for a review since I have about 200miles of PCT to cover this summer. Just kidding, that looks like it wouldn't make it 10 miles before it got uncomfortable.

Do you bring camera gear? What do you use?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Haggins posted:

That F-Stop stuff looks pretty cool. I've been searching for a good backpack/photobag to do a hike in/hike out overnight camping trip.

Do you bring camera gear? What do you use?

Last summer I tossed a D700 and 24-70 along with an x100 into my bag. Wrapped the d700 and lens in their own separate home made wrap and hung the x100 from my front pack-strap without hassle. That was on top of 8 days of food/gear. This year will be an Xe1 and 18-55mm lens only. Using the same travel friendly carbon-fiber tripod that packs down to 17 inches.

My current pack is a Kelty redcloud 110.

Musket fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 20, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dr. Shockwave posted:

I'm going to Europe for a 2 week honeymoon. London, Amsterdam, Paris, Prague

I have a t3i with your standard kit lens and a 55-250 zoom.

I plan on taking that and an iPad mini with me everywhere.

What bag do I want? I like backpacks, and I like the ones where you can swivel them pretty fast for good access. (I don't want to be robbed however).
Buy a different lens too. 55-250mm is going to be WAY too cropped for a lot of stuff you're going to want to take photos of. Even the 18-55 kit lens will do you, you will want that extra width.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
Can anyone recommend a bag for me?

My kit is 650D with kit lens, a 50mm + space for 2 other future lenses (probably a 10-22 and a 70-200L). I also tend to carry around lots of filters and a tripod. Are there any messenger style bags that would cope with all that or is the tripod requirement going to rule that out? I'm not averse to back packs as long as they're the kind that swivel round. I can't be arsed taking a backpack off every time I want to change a lens or grab a different filter.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

HookShot posted:

Buy a different lens too. 55-250mm is going to be WAY too cropped for a lot of stuff you're going to want to take photos of. Even the 18-55 kit lens will do you, you will want that extra width.

I brought the 135mm f/2.8 soft focus prime with me (small and light) and I think I used it once to take a photo of a heron in Vondelpark and that was about it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Any other recommended strap brands? Really just looking for a more comfortable replacement for the standard Canon strap. It's not really been an issue but thinking about getting another strap in the future if its a big difference.

At least for now I've got my little Crumpler $5 Million Home...which I found in a used shop for :tenbux: Color me shocked! A touch small sometimes but that's if I'm trying to fit body, two lenses, and my wallet/etc all in.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
If you're constantly carrying your camera in a bag with you, why don't you forego a neck strap and look at hand straps instead?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

bobfather posted:

If you're constantly carrying your camera in a bag with you, why don't you forego a neck strap and look at hand straps instead?

Seconded. Find a bag that can hold your camera (and other belongings?) then you can just extract the camera quickly and keep it on you by means of the strap.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
To actually add something to the mix, I'll recommend a Gordy's strap with a wrist pad.

I have used mine to hand carry a 5D3 + 100-400L for long periods of time. I'm NOT a very strong guy either. After about 45 minutes my hand felt tired, but I always had the option to put my camera in my Billingham manpurse instead of hand-carrying it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

harperdc posted:

Any other recommended strap brands? Really just looking for a more comfortable replacement for the standard Canon strap. It's not really been an issue but thinking about getting another strap in the future if its a big difference.

At least for now I've got my little Crumpler $5 Million Home...which I found in a used shop for :tenbux: Color me shocked! A touch small sometimes but that's if I'm trying to fit body, two lenses, and my wallet/etc all in.

I've been really happy with my Blackrapid strap, from everything from large format cameras down to a Lomo LC-A (just kept it around my shoulder while I was out on the motorbike, made it convenient to take landscapes without having to take off my gloves/fiddle with a pack). Really ought to get around to buying the tripod shoe passthrough thing, it'll probably live on my Hasselblad once I do.

I've got an OP/TECH strap on the Hassie right now that I really like, it's very cushy.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've been really happy with my Blackrapid strap, from everything from large format cameras down to a Lomo LC-A (just kept it around my shoulder while I was out on the motorbike, made it convenient to take landscapes without having to take off my gloves/fiddle with a pack). Really ought to get around to buying the tripod shoe passthrough thing, it'll probably live on my Hasselblad once I do.

I've got an OP/TECH strap on the Hassie right now that I really like, it's very cushy.

I just screwed a cheap Arca Swiss clamp to the supplied Black Rapid ring and use that to clamp onto the Acratech plate that never leaves my Hassie.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone have much experience with Roots bags? Seeing quite a few on CL and seem to have decent build quality. I'm looking specifically for a backpack-style bag, preferably full-size, and most of the other bags in the sub-$100 price range on CL I'm seeing from Lowepro or Tamrac are 3/4 backpack style or sling-style which I don't really want. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Here is the craigslist ad, the roots bag is in the bottom right of the photos, he's asking $50 which seems like a pretty good deal.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 16, 2013

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
I just got this for now:

https://www.amazon.com/Camaroo-DSLR-Camera-Insert-M-22/dp/B004S7ZVQO/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373637917&sr=1-3

Fits perfectly in my Camelbak Rim Runner (1342 cu in / 22L + 3L Reservoir). My tripod fits great in the straps too that can be used for ice axes or trek poles. I love it. Room for other crap to go in the rest of it. Great for hiking or whatever where you need to carry other stuff, great for flying too. I keep a first aid kit which fits nicely underneath it.

I don't have a lot of gear or any big fancy lenses (yet) though. Great for now! I like that I can throw it into other bags or luggage as well.

I might get a bigger/better quality one later on.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Does anyone have any experience with a Crumpler 8 MDH? I'm giving my girlfriend my recent model 7 MDH since it doesnt take nicely to gripped cameras and i've picked up a few more lenses prior from purchasing it. I know its been discontinued and replaced by the Bronze Extravaganza but I cant justify forking $295 for an uglier and boxy man purse. I like bringing all my poo poo with me so i'm hoping that this will fit a gripped 5d3, the 2.8 zoom trinity, 2 primes and a couple of flashes.

VVV I try to leave what I dont need at home safely stored away so my clumsy rear end lose anything, but if an gig calls for a full loadout that requires me to be mobile I'd rather throw everything in my bag and sling it over my shoulder then stuffing my pelican case and carrying it over rocks or fences

Duckjob fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 26, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don't carry that much poo poo in a shoulder bag you crazy person.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't carry that much poo poo in a shoulder bag you crazy person.

Heavy shoulder bags are the worst, I tend to drag them around for hours and it really kills my neck.

on that note, I've been looking for a sling bag that can hold my D800 + atleast one extra lens and a small laptop (11-12") plus a few shirts and stuff so I don't have to carry a backpack AND a shoulder bag when travelling. A normal backpack with a camera compartment should work as well, but I would prefer being able to access things somewhat quickly.

I've been lookin at this Crumpler Messenger Boy , but it lacks a laptop compartment.

Klogdor fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 26, 2013

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

MythObstacleIV posted:

I just got this for now:

https://www.amazon.com/Camaroo-DSLR-Camera-Insert-M-22/dp/B004S7ZVQO/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373637917&sr=1-3

Fits perfectly in my Camelbak Rim Runner (1342 cu in / 22L + 3L Reservoir). My tripod fits great in the straps too that can be used for ice axes or trek poles. I love it. Room for other crap to go in the rest of it. Great for hiking or whatever where you need to carry other stuff, great for flying too. I keep a first aid kit which fits nicely underneath it.

I'm looking for something like this that would fit in both my messenger bag, and my hiking pack. I'd like it to fit my 60D with Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 attached since I frequently shoot birds with that lens. This insert seems a bit small for that. Does anyone have any recommendations?

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
I think this is genius: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043D2L6Q

Lens 'holster' that expands when open to two compartments for swapping caps/filters one-handed or when there's no solid surface around.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
That's why I use a messenger-style camera bag.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

mclifford82 posted:

Lens 'holster' that expands when open to two compartments for swapping caps/filters one-handed or when there's no solid surface around.

I had that thing and it was alright but I like the messenger bag better. Actually, i still have it and it's in great shape. If you're interested I can post up in the selling thread.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I find belt pouches easiest to use if I'm doing event work or anything where I need to change lenses frequently. They're more comfortable than messenger bags (to me) and the pouches give really fast access. I let the camera hang on its strap while I'm changing so I can have on lens in each hand though.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Haggins posted:

I had that thing and it was alright but I like the messenger bag better. Actually, i still have it and it's in great shape. If you're interested I can post up in the selling thread.

I don't really do much where I'd be swapping like that (right now), but thanks for the heads up. If the price is right I might scoop it up just in case, who knows. :)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Duckjob posted:

Does anyone have any experience with a Crumpler 8 MDH? I'm giving my girlfriend my recent model 7 MDH since it doesnt take nicely to gripped cameras and i've picked up a few more lenses prior from purchasing it. I know its been discontinued and replaced by the Bronze Extravaganza but I cant justify forking $295 for an uglier and boxy man purse. I like bringing all my poo poo with me so i'm hoping that this will fit a gripped 5d3, the 2.8 zoom trinity, 2 primes and a couple of flashes.

You can consider the Domke F1X, or its Safrotto CF-100 knockoff on eBay. Can fit an amazing amount of stuff inside them. The inserts are somewhat different between them though, but you can use Domke inserts in the Safrotto

Choosebary
Oct 23, 2003

mclifford82 posted:

I got one of those because I thought it was a great idea, unfortunately it's just too tight to hold something like a canon 24-70 or 70-200 and be able to comfortably swap lenses without the bag getting all bunched (especially if you leave the hood on) and screwing up the whole process.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I'm looking for a recommendation for a camera bag to hold the following:

Nikon D7000 with 35mm
55-200mm
18-105mm
50mm
SB700
iPad Mini

My preference would be a backpack with two comfortable straps. Should be ideal for hand-luggage.

I'm looking at the Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW and the Kata 3n1 but I'm not sure the Lowepro can hold the iPad and the straps on the Kata look awful.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Rhaegar posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a camera bag to hold the following:

Nikon D7000 with 35mm
55-200mm
18-105mm
50mm
SB700
iPad Mini

My preference would be a backpack with two comfortable straps. Should be ideal for hand-luggage.

I'm looking at the Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW and the Kata 3n1 but I'm not sure the Lowepro can hold the iPad and the straps on the Kata look awful.

I have a Kata 3n1 and your right, the thing isn't all the comfortable to carry. Though I did manage to do full days in Rome, Florence, and Naples without too much issue.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Hope you guys can help me?

I'm looking for a backpack which can hold either one of my cameras (Fuji HS25EXR or a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 with a 14-42mm Pansonic G X Vario PZ lens).

It should be able to keep a wee bit of clothes (a light weight fleece jacket).

Something eat and drink.

A wallet and a pair of glasses.

It should be carry-on compatible.

And it should have a rain cover.

So, is there any backpacks like this?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I have a kata 3n1, i don't think the straps are bad. If I can go hiking with it while it's loaded with a pentax 67 and assorted gear it can't be that bad :colbert:

Kidney Stone posted:

I'm looking for a backpack which can hold either one of my cameras (Fuji HS25EXR or a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 with a 14-42mm Pansonic G X Vario PZ lens).

Something eat and drink.

Maybe just get a normal hiking bag and use something like http://www.amazon.com/Domke-F-34L-1...rds=camera+wrap to wrap your camera before sticking it in?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Mr. Despair posted:

I have a kata 3n1, i don't think the straps are bad. If I can go hiking with it while it's loaded with a pentax 67 and assorted gear it can't be that bad :colbert:

Maybe just get a normal hiking bag and use something like http://www.amazon.com/Domke-F-34L-1...rds=camera+wrap to wrap your camera before sticking it in?

Would be an idea, I'll look into it - thanks.

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007
I've got a 5.11 Rush 12 that I use when traveling, it's a reasonable size and a little on the pricey side but good quality. It's got a nice lined pocket for putting glasses and I haven't had any problems with rain at all. When you say carry-on are you talking about shoving it under the seat or up in the compartments?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

snuffles posted:

I've got a 5.11 Rush 12 that I use when traveling, it's a reasonable size and a little on the pricey side but good quality. It's got a nice lined pocket for putting glasses and I haven't had any problems with rain at all. When you say carry-on are you talking about shoving it under the seat or up in the compartments?

Up in the compertments.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Mr. Despair posted:

Hey Kata 3n1 buddy :):hf::) I think the straps are a little far apart as they sit on the very edge of my shoulders. The accessory tripod holder is nice, though. I hold two gripped cameras, two lenses, a teleconverter and a bunch of camera accessories in mine. I used that bag for a full day in New York and wasn't achy afterward.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Need a new bag, been looking around but can't seem to find anything that suits what I need for less than ~$400. I'm in the UK so an EU-based seller would be nice, plus no faffing with import duties/VAT.

Need to fit-

11" Macbook Air
D800 w/ 35mm 1.4 attached
85mm 1.4
Z-Finder EVF OR flash
Lacie Rugged HDD
ND filters/CF cards/cables

The problem is finding something that looks good. I really like the Wotancraft City Explorer bags but a bit out of my price-range. Needs to be a shoulder bag as it will be coming on and off quite frequently.

Kidney Stone posted:

Up in the compertments.

I used a 5.11 Rush 24 for 3 months in Nigeria- 17" laptop, 60D w/battery-grip + loads of batteries, 3 zooms, tripod, Z-finder EVF, flash, LEDs, gorillapods, medical kit, waterproofs, food/water, camping stove, the works. They're truly excellent bags, I had an unbranded elasticated rain cover for it too but after a heavy dose of waterproofing spray the bag didn't let anything through when I got caught out without the cover in a storm. Everything fragile was in padded cases and after 3 months of being thrown in and out of buses, dragged through and dumped in sand, and even in a bike crash it still looks good-as-new with no damage to the gear inside.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That doesn't seem like much stuff at all, have you thought about just getting a padded insert for a regular bag? It might be easier to find something that fits your aesthetic needs. Domke has a decent variety of inserts that could work.

Otherwise, Ona Brixton/Union Street, Billingham Hadley, and Giottos Lefoto fit into the leather/canvas material scheme. I think the Ona stuff is probably the nicest looking of those. I'm a big fan of Domke's canvas offerings but they're definitely not as stylish as the Wotancraft stuff you linked and their more attractive designs are old enough that they don't have dedicated laptop sleeves—the rear pockets are usually big enough for something like an 11" air with a sleeve.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks, fell in love with the ONA Brixton in Dark Truffle, shame about the price :(. Probably going to grab it in smoke instead though.

The problem I've found with buying a regular bag and adding inserts is that you end up with a giant brick, as the form-factor wasn't designed to have big chunky blocks of stuff plonked into it. I have a really nice leather messenger from All Saints that just looks atrocious with anything not-laptop-shaped in it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ok bag gurus, I have a crazy Urban Disguise 60 V2.0 that holds a ton of gear, but it's miserably uncomfortable. I'm looking for something that can hold the same amount of gear but in a backpack/roller case. Currently this is what I have packed:

2x Canon 5d ii with battery grip
24-105mm
50mm
35mm
2x speedlights
13" Macbook Air
Various chargers/cables/accessories

Any recommendations?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I bet a Kata 3n1 would hold it. I've shoved my P67, Yashica-mat, flash, me super, and instax 210 in it and I still had room while still being comfortable to carry.

Something like http://www.kata-bags.com/3n1-33-dl-for-dslr-w-long-range-zoom-lens-5-6-lenses-flash-ktdl-3n1-33

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Kidney Stone posted:

Something eat and drink.

I know this is a month old but I absolutely adore my F-Stop Loka pack. It is built as a hiking pack that is designed specifically for holding photo gear. Absolutely perfect. I can hold my water bladder, strap my tripod to the side straps, plenty of extra room in the pack for extra clothes, jackets, and snacks with a medium ICU. They are pricey, but totally worth it in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's some high-quality bag chat taking place over in this thread. Please come hang out with us.

• Locked thread