Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Cawd Rud posted:

Your only option is a tethered jailbreak, which means that if you restart the iPod touch it will act unjailbroken until you plug it back into a computer, run redsn0w and click the magic "Boot Tethered" button. Actually restarting your iPod should be a rare occurrence, so it's not too big of a deal. Instructions can be found here: http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/119673/jailbreaking-ios-6

Awesome, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

I've just started to get the black screen bug on Zephyr, where the wallpaper goes black for a second when you open the app switcher. I've tried un/reinstalling, any ideas what could be causing it? Apparently it's a bug that was solved last update but my app is definitely the latest. Not cracked (I'm aware that can cause it)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone know how to change lockinfo so that alerts (SMS, etc.) that show up in the lockscreen can't by clicked on to unlock the device? I keep finding my phone unlocked in my pocket and I don't want to set a PIN.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper
Is PDANet the current go-to for tethering? I had MyWi, but found my license is lost because of upgrades or something and I'm tired of dealing with it.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
I use TetherMe. It basically just enables the iOS native tethering so it's pretty simple and works well. Might not have any special features the other apps have but nothing that I've needed.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

TetherMe also works through NCSettings as a toggle. Not sure if the others do as well.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Cawd Rud posted:

I use TetherMe. It basically just enables the iOS native tethering so it's pretty simple and works well. Might not have any special features the other apps have but nothing that I've needed.

Which one has less potential of your carrier catching on? I use PDAnet every once in a while for work and haven't had an issue (AT&T grandfathered unlimited data), but then again I average around 7gb of data usage a month.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I average around 7gb of data usage a month.
Do you Netflix on the train to work or something?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

status posted:

Do you Netflix on the train to work or something?

Mostly SiriusXM and RadioIO/TuneIn Radio, occasional YouTube stuff but yes a lot of train-commute based streaming.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 18, 2013

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My iPhone 4 has been working great and my contract is about to expire in a few months so I'm gonna upgrade to the new iPhone as soon as it's released.

Meanwhile, I've gotten the urge to play emulators on my iPhone so I figured I'd look into jailbreaking. I haven't jailbroken a device since my first gen iPod touch, so I'm kind of out of the loop here.

My phone is currently at the newest firmware. Is it possible to jailbreak it? Is it relatively easy? Should I even bother with my iPhone 4 since it's underpowered and the battery isn't lasting as long as it used to (it still lasts over a day of normal use, but I wouldn't want the battery life to decrease exponentially either)

Any help is appreciated

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Duro posted:

My iPhone 4 has been working great and my contract is about to expire in a few months so I'm gonna upgrade to the new iPhone as soon as it's released.

Meanwhile, I've gotten the urge to play emulators on my iPhone so I figured I'd look into jailbreaking. I haven't jailbroken a device since my first gen iPod touch, so I'm kind of out of the loop here.

My phone is currently at the newest firmware. Is it possible to jailbreak it? Is it relatively easy? Should I even bother with my iPhone 4 since it's underpowered and the battery isn't lasting as long as it used to (it still lasts over a day of normal use, but I wouldn't want the battery life to decrease exponentially either)

Any help is appreciated
Yes, you can jailbreak, however it'll be semi-tethered, which means that if you restart the iPhone it will act unjailbroken until you plug it back into a computer, run redsn0w and click the magic "Boot Tethered" button. Actually restarting should be a rare occurrence only when installing certain tweaks or if the battery runs out, so it's not too big of a deal. Instructions can be found here: http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/119673/jailbreaking-ios-6

Jailbreaking it alone won't reduce your battery life, but even with a lot of tweaks installed, battery life isn't noticeably affected in my experience. Plus, you can always just restore and unjailbreak if you don't want it jailbroken for any reason.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Bummey posted:

Is 3G Unrestrictor busted as gently caress or is it just me? And by busted as gently caress I mean it doesn't work.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1

The dev won't answer my contacts so I'm just gonna say gently caress 3G Unrestrictor and cry about the two dolalrs I lost when upgrading to the new version.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cawd Rud posted:

Yes, you can jailbreak, however it'll be semi-tethered, which means that if you restart the iPhone it will act unjailbroken until you plug it back into a computer, run redsn0w and click the magic "Boot Tethered" button. Actually restarting should be a rare occurrence only when installing certain tweaks or if the battery runs out, so it's not too big of a deal. Instructions can be found here: http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/119673/jailbreaking-ios-6

Jailbreaking it alone won't reduce your battery life, but even with a lot of tweaks installed, battery life isn't noticeably affected in my experience. Plus, you can always just restore and unjailbreak if you don't want it jailbroken for any reason.

Thanks for the help. One last thing, will jailbreaking delete all my apps and settings?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Duro posted:

Thanks for the help. One last thing, will jailbreaking delete all my apps and settings?

No

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Is there any way to disable Quick Reply in BiteSMS? I'm not seeing the option to do so.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Which one has less potential of your carrier catching on? I use PDAnet every once in a while for work and haven't had an issue (AT&T grandfathered unlimited data), but then again I average around 7gb of data usage a month.

PDAnet is the only one that ostensibly is trying to hide the fact that you're tethering.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is there anything for saving a streaming video file to my camera roll? I have universal video downloader, but that only saves to its own folder and when I found the video in iFile it looked like it was chopped up into a bunch of smaller files.

Basically what happened is I wanted to stream an episode of Comedians in Cars getting Coffee to my tv, which is only available on their site. I have ZappoTV to send videos to my TV no problem, but stuck on the getting the video into my camera roll.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a tweak on Cydia for iOS 6 that will let me play music from iTunes in apps that normally don't support it? Does Background Manager do that?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I just installed NCcalendar+ and now my life is complete.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Battery doctor pro is the only app that ever has updates on cydia in at least 3 months. And I have quite a bit of jailbroken apps. Normal?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Christoff posted:

Battery doctor pro is the only app that ever has updates on cydia in at least 3 months. And I have quite a bit of jailbroken apps. Normal?

I've been noticing that too. Usually I have at least a few updates every time I go into cydia. Lately nothing!

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Activator actually got an update. I couldn't believe it.

Though of course my lock button only works 1:10 times

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Actually I remember activator too a bit ago but usually at least weekly there's zephyr, irealsms, auxo, etc..

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
The party's over.

:siren: Apple is currently signing 6.0.x :siren:
Any iPhone 5 users who are on the latest iOS and want to downgrade to jailbreak - DO IT NOW.
Grab the 6.0.x firmware for your device from http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ and Shift-Restore in iTunes.

Also, if you have an A4 device, you can grab your blobs for 6.0.x as well.

Cawd Rud fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 26, 2013

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Cawd Rud posted:

Any iPhone 5 users who are on the latest iOS and want to downgrade to jailbreak - DO IT NOW.
Grab the 6.0.x firmware for your device from http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ and Shift-Restore in iTunes.

Oh poo poo! Downloading a copy of 6.0.2 for my GSM iPhone 5 right now, hoping I didn't miss the window. I'll give an update here if it worked for me.

Edit: Worked for me. Thanks for the update, Cawd Rud, I'm really glad to be jailbroken again.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 26, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Damnit I really want to get my buddy who is still on iOS5 to get to iOS6 but unless I physically have his phone it's not going to happen.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Hot drat! Glad I stayed at work tonight and noticed this instead of going out. Thanks for the heads up. I'm (finally) on 6.0.1.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Glad a few of you were able to get in as well! They've stopped signing it now.

Dr. McReallysweet
Sep 12, 2006

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Woop. Just got my replacement 5 after I hosed my 4s, and restored with about 10 minutes to spare. Are there any good tweaks or anything thing different than the 4s specifically for the 5 that I haven't payed attention to?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Does BatteryDoctorPro still have a bad rep for potentially screwing with antennas and needing a restore?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

status posted:

Does BatteryDoctorPro still have a bad rep for potentially screwing with antennas and needing a restore?

I've never heard of that. Source?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Cawd Rud posted:

The party's over.

drat you 11 hour shift :argh:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

status posted:

I haven't had any issue with my install.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I need to take my 6.1.2 jailbroken phone in to replace under Applecare for a cracked screen, and I'm having trouble restoring the drat thing. If I try to restore under Itunes, I get an "unable to restore, unknown error occurred" message, and I'm unable to simply upgrade to 6.1.3. under IOS or Itunes either? How the gently caress do I unjailbreak this thing?

Never would've done it if I knew it was going to be so much more difficult than under redsnow/absinthe.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Thauros posted:

I need to take my 6.1.2 jailbroken phone in to replace under Applecare for a cracked screen, and I'm having trouble restoring the drat thing. If I try to restore under Itunes, I get an "unable to restore, unknown error occurred" message, and I'm unable to simply upgrade to 6.1.3. under IOS or Itunes either? How the gently caress do I unjailbreak this thing?

Never would've done it if I knew it was going to be so much more difficult than under redsnow/absinthe.

Check your C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts file and see if you're blocking Apple's servers. If so, remove those lines and reboot and you should be good to go.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Check your C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts file and see if you're blocking Apple's servers. If so, remove those lines and reboot and you should be good to go.

Thank you, that was indeed the problem.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Well, I've run into an issue with my 6.0.2 restore.

It doesn't have T-Mobile HSPA+/LTE support. I know there's a carrier update that enables it, but it obviously won't automatically install itself since I'm not on 6.1.x. Is there a way to manually install one that would work on an iOS version prior to the version it's "compatible" with?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a site similar to AppShopper, but for Cydia? Or at least a website that lists all the updates and new stuff in Cydia?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I usually just keep up on r/jailbreak, seeing as most of the developers post there. You can check iDownloadBlog or ModMyI for a non-reddit experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

sleepwalkers posted:

Well, I've run into an issue with my 6.0.2 restore.

It doesn't have T-Mobile HSPA+/LTE support. I know there's a carrier update that enables it, but it obviously won't automatically install itself since I'm not on 6.1.x. Is there a way to manually install one that would work on an iOS version prior to the version it's "compatible" with?

Current T-Mobile US carrier bundle for 6.1 (14.2):
http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/CarrierBundles/091-7459.20130626.Lk3Er/TMobile_US_iPhone.ipcc

Have you tried loading that?

If it doesn't install, open it up (it's a Zip file), and check the *.plist files to see if they have a "6.1" you can change to a "6.0".

Edit: You need to configure iTunes to allow manual installation of carrier bundles.

• Locked thread