Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rudatron posted:

Isn't one the reformations beliefs purchasing post-industrial units with faith, and wouldn't that include atom bombs?

Post‐industrial land units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Is there any way to get the game to maximise the window if running in a window? I can live with letterboxing or whatever, but it drives me crazy when a window doesn't touch the sides of a desktop.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah. Anyway I took Glory of God, letting me spam Great Persons and perhaps make up for taking Piety, but now I'm reconsidering. Maybe I should have taken that other one to help my army snowball into the Industrial era, because before I was thinking, "My army will be so bloated after faith-purchasing a bunch of cannon and musketmen, I probably won't need that", but as I typed this I just realised I can purchase Great Engineers on the spot to rush wonders and plant manufacturies and decided, "Nope, sticking with this one".

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I tried out my plan of "pick Byzantium/go Piety/get all 3 religious buildings/take the reformation belief that gives them all 2 tourism/win culture victory early" on quick/Immortal/normal/Earth and it didn't work out. I did get influential on Carthage, and my tourism was generally healthy, but you have to meet everyone before you can really start dominating culturally, so pre-astronomy tourism is kinda pointless if you're not playing pangaea.

Meanwhile my buddy playing Venice got a ridiculously vast empire and a big free army and tech lead, which meant they were able to compete culturally - at least enough to survive until the end of the game.

The other problem with the strategy is that anyone you spread the religion to can also build the buildings and get +2 tourism, so you can't really get a lead that way.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

thehumandignity posted:

Yeah. Anyway I took Glory of God, letting me spam Great Persons and perhaps make up for taking Piety, but now I'm reconsidering. Maybe I should have taken that other one to help my army snowball into the Industrial era, because before I was thinking, "My army will be so bloated after faith-purchasing a bunch of cannon and musketmen, I probably won't need that", but as I typed this I just realised I can purchase Great Engineers on the spot to rush wonders and plant manufacturies and decided, "Nope, sticking with this one".

Yeah I decided to try out reformation beliefs last night in a game with Arabia. I wanted Jesuit Education, but the AI loves going Piety now and so it was long gone by the time I got to choose mine. I ended up with Glory of God and... holy poo poo. Up until now I've generally just ignored religion in my games, but the amount of great people I was able to buy at the end of the game was just staggering. Like you said, from the Industrial age onward I never had to hard build a wonder. If there was something I wanted, I just bought a great engineer and the next turn it was mine. When I had no wonders to rush I just bought scientists and before you knew it I went from being 3rd in literacy to being an age ahead of the next player, it was loving crazy. Like I said, I've always just ignored religion before in my games because its always just kind of petered out in the late game, and so it always just felt like a waste to put any time, money, or production into it, but many of the new reformation beliefs keep it rolling right up into the modern era.

DEO3 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 26, 2013

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
^^^ faith-bought great people are amazing - I went for a Venice science victory and rushed three of the rocket parts with holy great engineers because I was trying out Order.

Playing Venice has spoiled me with the ridiculous number of trade routes and even more ridiculous amount of money. Now when I play other civs I feel so restricted by the smaller number of routes and smaller income. Time for more trading post spam!

chami fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 26, 2013

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The other thing to do with religion is to ignore it completely until most are founded, enhanced and reformed. Then take a look at who has what bonuses you want. If you want all of the religious buildings that's doable with some trickery. Want to faith purchase a post-industrial army? Well grats, some other sucker already did the leg work! If it comes to it, start a war to capture missionaries and great prophets. Spamming multiple trade routes from a city located to radiate out, or one isolated enough from the rest of your empire to not spread it elsewhere can work out ok though. While there is no "hey come religion spam me" diplo option, open borders on a guy who seems interested in spreading his religion will usually do it.

The last game that I tried to do a religion focused thing, literally every other civ on my continent went full piety and missionary spam mode. All of the religions were on one smallish continent and nobody ever got any traction anywhere.

E: you can still generate faith before you get religion. Just use the prophets to make holy sites.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Whats a good Paradox strat game to start with?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I don't think religion is remotely worth investing in anymore. The Founder bonuses are mild and the Enhancer beliefs are only beneficial if you're actively trying to spread a religion. What you really want is the Pantheon and Follower bonuses, and you can get that for free just by pulling some strings.

Faith generation is much more important than controlling an actual religion, and on top of that the AI is pretty poor about cooperating with others or with you. Same with voting for an AI for hosting the World Congress (since they'll never vote for anyone else except themselves), it's often a better decision to throw in with a religion that the AI founded. You're much more likely to control the world through religion that way than by forcing it on your own terms.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I think you have the wrong thread, but I generally find Paradox games too obtuse to figure out with the limited gaming time I have. The two exceptions have been Crusader Kings 1, and Hearts of Iron 2. Others swear by Crusader Kings 2 as a good beginner Paradox game, but I've never tried that one.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Had my multiplayer buddies forfeit in a game earlier because I had a city with 120 production in the renaissance era, probably the best city I've had in this game. Wonders took 6-8 turns on Epic speed. :allears:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Does this game have an active multiplayer community (for pickup games obviously)? If so, is it full of min-maxers? Or noobs? Or a mixture of both?

Alternatively, do goons have any kind of active multiplayer group?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I don't think there is one, but I'm typing up a post to organize a goon game through GMR as we speak.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Brannock posted:

Yeah, I don't think religion is remotely worth investing in anymore. The Founder bonuses are mild and the Enhancer beliefs are only beneficial if you're actively trying to spread a religion. What you really want is the Pantheon and Follower bonuses, and you can get that for free just by pulling some strings.

Faith generation is much more important than controlling an actual religion, and on top of that the AI is pretty poor about cooperating with others or with you. Same with voting for an AI for hosting the World Congress (since they'll never vote for anyone else except themselves), it's often a better decision to throw in with a religion that the AI founded. You're much more likely to control the world through religion that way than by forcing it on your own terms.

It depends. If your neighbor(s) don't get a religion and you did, you basically have a free massive chunk of cities to get your bonuses from. One of my last games, Siam didn't get a religion. He was making GBS threads cities left and right, and was actually a very strong empire, so I spread my religion to him ASAP and built the grand temple. Cathy was nearby and foudned islam, but couldn't get her religion beyond her holy city because the pressure from my religion was so immense. She'd GP her own cities, and they'd be back to eastern orthodox in 20 turns with 0 input from me. I ended up generating some 80gpt from tithe by just building Borobudur and buying a missionary or two for the city states, and kept Atilla off my back by converting him later down the line while raking in even more money.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey goons, just picked this up during the steam sale and have lost hundreds and thousands of hours playing its predecessors. Question I have is how does it run on Mac? Specifically a new iMac i5 2.7ghz, 8gb and a fusion drive? Should I boot into bootcamp and run it under Windows 7 or is OS X sufficient? I ask because Borderlands 2 is Mac compatible but runs like horseshit and not sure how each game performs.

Thanks!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Building on my last post, I wish they could patch in some more modifiers for the "Warmonger" status. I've only declared war once, and been declared on once. Both with the Zulu's and both times with me ending out better off with an extra city or two,and the second time because someone else went in with me. Yet people think I am the warmonger and that I am the rear end in a top hat flinging Impi everywhere. Now everyone but a few have denounced me and think I'm a huge jerk.

I wish they could make the war time stuff a bit more nuanced and a lot harder to love/hate you or other AI's.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TraderStav posted:

Hey goons, just picked this up during the steam sale and have lost hundreds and thousands of hours playing its predecessors. Question I have is how does it run on Mac? Specifically a new iMac i5 2.7ghz, 8gb and a fusion drive? Should I boot into bootcamp and run it under Windows 7 or is OS X sufficient? I ask because Borderlands 2 is Mac compatible but runs like horseshit and not sure how each game performs.

Thanks!

On those specs you should be okay. I’m not guaranteeing success, but it’s worth trying.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think the criteria for the AI calling someone a warmonger has nothing to do with whether someone instigated a conflict or not, but how much damage they did during it. Like you could declare war all day long but if you don't accomplish anything the AI won't care. But if you're attacked and then you counter and burn down/capture half a dozen cities you're a warmonger.

I could be totally mistaken but that's what it seems like based on observation.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Jastiger posted:

Building on my last post, I wish they could patch in some more modifiers for the "Warmonger" status. I've only declared war once, and been declared on once. Both with the Zulu's and both times with me ending out better off with an extra city or two,and the second time because someone else went in with me. Yet people think I am the warmonger and that I am the rear end in a top hat flinging Impi everywhere. Now everyone but a few have denounced me and think I'm a huge jerk.

I wish they could make the war time stuff a bit more nuanced and a lot harder to love/hate you or other AI's.

Murder early, murder often, leave no witnesses. I've not had any problems so far (on king) with murdering all of my neighbors until I run out of them. The trick is to do it before anyone but you researches compass. Then you can play any way you want!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Chomp8645 posted:

I think the criteria for the AI calling someone a warmonger has nothing to do with whether someone instigated a conflict or not, but how much damage they did during it. Like you could declare war all day long but if you don't accomplish anything the AI won't care. But if you're attacked and then you counter and burn down/capture half a dozen cities you're a warmonger.

I could be totally mistaken but that's what it seems like based on observation.

This is the impression that I have as well.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

TraderStav posted:

Thanks!

I've been playing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4ghz / 4gb, and it's fine on the lowest graphical settings. Running it under Bootcamp vs. OSX didn't make any difference.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Muscle Tracer posted:

I've been playing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4ghz / 4gb, and it's fine on the lowest graphical settings. Running it under Bootcamp vs. OSX didn't make any difference.

Magnificent. I thought it would likely be the case as it's more CPU intensive than GPU. I also figured that they may have made the native version with more effort than just wrapping WINE around it like they do others (or so I'm told).

jgamer
Oct 21, 2010
On the warmonger topic - I was trying to go for a peaceful game when I got attacked by my former friends Spain and Brazil. I rush-bought/cobbled together an army and fended off a lot of units; both civs offered me a city as reparation. I kept antagonizing them and shortly after the peace deal wore off, we were right back at war. Again, got another city from each as reparation. I've 'taken over' 4 cities so far, with no warmonger hit to anyone.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

CKII, or EU4 when it comes out in a couple of weeks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jgamer posted:

On the warmonger topic - I was trying to go for a peaceful game when I got attacked by my former friends Spain and Brazil. I rush-bought/cobbled together an army and fended off a lot of units; both civs offered me a city as reparation. I kept antagonizing them and shortly after the peace deal wore off, we were right back at war. Again, got another city from each as reparation. I've 'taken over' 4 cities so far, with no warmonger hit to anyone.

Well obviously cities that are traded as part of a peace settlement wouldn't cause someone to think you're a warmonger. It's capturing/burning them that counts.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
When is EUIV coming out?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, my old tactic was to let mysel get dow'd then burn the world. Now it's a lot harder to finesse the AI, plus grinding up unit xp is difficult. Seems like you can blast away and ttade as much as you want, though, so I just keep hitting their units until they'll make a good deal.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Have they patched the Mac version yet so it can play multiplayer with PC vesions without getting "Error: Version Mismatch"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kanthulhu posted:

When is EUIV coming out?

August 13th

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Is there a good guide to setting up a multiplayer game? A friend and I are considering doing a cooperative team game, but she only has G&K and not all of the DLC, so I'm trying to figure out if we even can play multi together.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DEO3 posted:

Yeah I decided to try out reformation beliefs last night in a game with Arabia. I wanted Jesuit Education, but the AI loves going Piety now and so it was long gone by the time I got to choose mine. I ended up with Glory of God and... holy poo poo. Up until now I've generally just ignored religion in my games, but the amount of great people I was able to buy at the end of the game was just staggering. Like you said, from the Industrial age onward I never had to hard build a wonder. If there was something I wanted, I just bought a great engineer and the next turn it was mine. When I had no wonders to rush I just bought scientists and before you knew it I went from being 3rd in literacy to being an age ahead of the next player, it was loving crazy. Like I said, I've always just ignored religion before in my games because its always just kind of petered out in the late game, and so it always just felt like a waste to put any time, money, or production into it, but many of the new reformation beliefs keep it rolling right up into the modern era.

Does Glory of God reduce great person faith costs from normal or what? Because it always seemed like a lackluster belief to me since you can typically buy great people with faith when you have the right policy trees filled.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Is there a good guide to setting up a multiplayer game? A friend and I are considering doing a cooperative team game, but she only has G&K and not all of the DLC, so I'm trying to figure out if we even can play multi together.

When the host sets up a multiplayer game, they can specify which expansions and DLC to include. Just uncheck stuff until everything left checked is the stuff you both have, and you should be good.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'd agree that most of the founder bonuses for religions are still fairly mild, but Interfaith Dialog still rocks the loving house up until the industrial era.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
So I've played like 250 hours of Civ 5 and I just discovered today that stacking a great general and a helicopter gives the great general the movement of the helicopter. Has this always been the case? I looked in the civilopedia and the wiki and didn't see documentation anywhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TraderStav posted:

Magnificent. I thought it would likely be the case as it's more CPU intensive than GPU. I also figured that they may have made the native version with more effort than just wrapping WINE around it like they do others (or so I'm told).

No, it’s a WINE wrapper. Borderlands 2 isn’t, actually.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Does Glory of God reduce great person faith costs from normal or what? Because it always seemed like a lackluster belief to me since you can typically buy great people with faith when you have the right policy trees filled.

You have to have the tree filled out before you can buy the GP, but with Glory of God you can buy any GP without any policy requirements. Doesn't change the costs.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Tiramisu posted:

So I've played like 250 hours of Civ 5 and I just discovered today that stacking a great general and a helicopter gives the great general the movement of the helicopter. Has this always been the case? I looked in the civilopedia and the wiki and didn't see documentation anywhere.

That seems odd. Was the helicopter upgraded from a Hakkapelita, by any chance?

Master of None
Nov 4, 2011

Tiramisu posted:

Must have been upgraded from a hakkapeliitta, they can do that.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Oh yeah that's exactly what happened. I never used the hakkapelitas because I didn't wage war until the modern era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Tiramisu posted:

I also remember doing this once with an upgraded Haakepaalitta.

e: ha, three replies, three different spellings

• Locked thread