Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Hauki posted:

Who the gently caress puts corn on a pizza? :smith:

Seriously, you'd never see corn as a normal topping on a pizza here in the states. MAYBE you'd see it on a specialty pie that's trying to do tex-mex or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Where is this hahahaha It's not even anything particularly fatty or unhealthy!

Ketchup, mayo and relish is a solid burger condiment. So so good.

Yes, on a BURGER, we stick the same stuff, excellent....but, I'm not going to thank you for MacDonalds, dude! :-P

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Doh004 posted:

Seriously, you'd never see corn as a normal topping on a pizza here in the states. MAYBE you'd see it on a specialty pie that's trying to do tex-mex or something.

I know this, but at least 90% of the Dutch customers thinks that this is a normal topping for an American.
Oh well, it isn't even bad, and some people might even like you guys for it....I'm just preparing you for a sh*tload of foreigners visiting your country not being amused for the lack of corn on their pizza's I guess.

Hey, maybe this couls be a THING in 'merica, just like the Scandinavians tought the japanese that salmon and sushi should be a thing (in case you didn't know, that originally totally wasn't!)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

paraquat posted:

Yes, on a BURGER, we stick the same stuff, excellent....but, I'm not going to thank you for MacDonalds, dude! :-P

Is going to Manneken Pis really worth it or should I just enjoy the hilarious name from afar?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Bollock Monkey posted:

Is going to Manneken Pis really worth it or should I just enjoy the hilarious name from afar?

Well, "Manneken Pis" is a Belgian thing, not Dutch...we DO have a stand with that name that sells potato fries in my town (as Belgians are the best when it comes to making potato fries), and they're supposed to be the best in my town, but I'm no fan. Grabbing some potatoes and making them yourself always results in infinitely better fries, I think!

Also...drown them in Mayo!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYSt8K8VP6k

paraquat fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 25, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Doh004 posted:

So I take it you've never been here?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I'm having trouble getting my risotto to the right consistency. It either ends up too soupy or not soupy enough. :( I know that it's supposed to "flow like lava", but it's hard to tell whether it does that in the pan - since it still loses water content even after you take it off the pan. What's a good way to make sure that it's the right consistency without having to pour it out onto a plate?

How are you adding in your stock? If you do it ladle by ladle letting the stock absorb fully each time, consistency won't be exactly what you're watching out for, it would be doneness of the rice.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

paraquat posted:

Well, apparently the Dutch do, and we try to hide that fact by calling it an American thing :cool:

Banana is a regular pizza topping in Sweden I've actually seen people eat

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The other key is to make sure your temperature is right, I've utterly ruined risotto by letting it get just a little too hot.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna cook some brats on a stovetop frying pan, but the recipe/instructions thing I looked up told me to put a cover on the pan. I don't have one of those, what's the point? Is it absolutely necessary? It also says to fill up the pan with about a half inch of water, and that they'll be done when all the water is evaporated. I suppose the point of that is to act as a sort of timer?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm gonna cook some brats on a stovetop frying pan, but the recipe/instructions thing I looked up told me to put a cover on the pan. I don't have one of those, what's the point? Is it absolutely necessary? It also says to fill up the pan with about a half inch of water, and that they'll be done when all the water is evaporated. I suppose the point of that is to act as a sort of timer?
The water and the pan cover are to steam + simmer them, because that's what cooks the brat. If you just tried to fry it, it would dry out and get overdone on the outside.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The water and the pan cover are to steam + simmer them, because that's what cooks the brat. If you just tried to fry it, it would dry out and get overdone on the outside.

Exactly. If you don't have a cover for your pan, I'd recommend simmering them in water that goes halfway up the side of each brat, flipping often until they just about come up to temp. Once they're mostly cooked through you can toss the water, get the pan rip-roaring hot with a little bit of oil, and sear them to get some good color and flavor on them.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Scott Bakula posted:

Banana is a regular pizza topping in Sweden I've actually seen people eat

Yes, bad people. Everyone knows a proper pizza should be topped either by sliced beef and bearnaise sauce or the contents of a kebab.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Aramoro posted:

I usually just do a volume recipe for my Yorkies, so as many eggs as I feel like and the same volume of flour and milk.

I find that vegetable oil is kinda hit and miss and if I want great ones then some animal fat in there, goose fat or beef dripping. Got to get it as hot as possible.

Sounds like you're doing all the right steps though, Yorkies can just be a bit fickle sometimes I think.

Being vegetarian the animal fat is out, unfortunately. It's olive oil that's usually used, I'm tempted to do a set of experiments with different oils and see if there is any difference - plus it's an excuse to make them more often to get enough results to be able to draw a conclusion!

It's tempting to blame the (relatively cheap) oven, but a bad workman blames his tools and all that...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

Exactly. If you don't have a cover for your pan, I'd recommend simmering them in water that goes halfway up the side of each brat, flipping often until they just about come up to temp. Once they're mostly cooked through you can toss the water, get the pan rip-roaring hot with a little bit of oil, and sear them to get some good color and flavor on them.

Sorry for the dumb question, but how do I tell when they're cooked through?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

TychoCelchuuu posted:

So I take it you've never been here?

One of their pizzas, from my "extensive" research (30 seconds) has corn on it (a second one might? But I don't know what's in their habernero salsa). The one pizza that does have it is a "specialty tex-mex" pie.

I stand by what I said :colbert:

*edit* And I wouldn't equate CPK with American pizza. It's a chain, yes, but I'd imagine Pizza Hut, Dominos or Papa John's would be recognized more so as American.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Basically all Korean pizza has corn in it, which I had never seen before. And lots of corn syrup in the tomato sauce!

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Indian Dominos pizza was loaded with corn.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Bear in mind that tamagoyaki is so one those things sushi guys dick wave over, it's really hard to get right even if you practice everyday for decades, don't get put off if there are a few hiccups along the way.
Yeah, although that's pretty much all an artefact of the traditional method. Like I said, you can get most of the way to the right texture and consistency if you just use a bain-marie and treat it like a crazy Japanese-themed oeufs en cocotte. And it's falling-off-a-log easy with a puddle machine, and you'll end up with eggs cooked as evenly as you can via any method.

I mean I'm not trying to talk anyone out of doing things the hard way. But there are easier ways.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Athenry posted:

Sounds like Fry sauce, which is just mayo + ketchup.

Fry sauce has pickle juice too. For one serving, I do 1 part mayo to 2 or 3 parts ketchup, 1/3 part pickle juice, and a bit of finely diced pickle. Add a couple drops of worcestershire or soy sauce to finish. A bit of garlic powder is optional. That'll get you a great pink sauce for whatever.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I've also spent some time in SE Asia and corn on pizza is definitely a thing. I guess that means everyone that is getting pizza third hand does it with corn?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Clarence posted:

Being vegetarian the animal fat is out, unfortunately. It's olive oil that's usually used, I'm tempted to do a set of experiments with different oils and see if there is any difference - plus it's an excuse to make them more often to get enough results to be able to draw a conclusion!

It's tempting to blame the (relatively cheap) oven, but a bad workman blames his tools and all that...

Olive oil has a pretty low smoke point and breaks down faster at high heats.
You'd most likely get better results with something with a higher smoke point like peanut oil since you're pre-heating the pans.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
To be clear, "extra virgin" olive oil has a low smoke point, there are "extra light" olive oils with high smoke points

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SHISHKABOB posted:

With a thermometer.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

SHISHKABOB posted:

Cut into one :can:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Jalapeno corn salsa on a pizza with pulled pork or pulled chicken is really good :colbert:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this or if I should find an alcohol thread, but here goes.

My Brother and Sister in law are going to have their first kid in December, and I thought it would be a neat idea to get a bottle of scotch for the kid, to be opened on their 21st.

I don't know a lot about scotch, but my thinking was that it would be something that would have a little age to it after 20 years and that doing so would improve its flavor.

Is this a bad idea for a gift (I'd also give real baby items, this is just an extra)? Does aging scotch in the bottle actually do any good? What are some good brands or styles to look for?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CzarChasm posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this or if I should find an alcohol thread, but here goes.

My Brother and Sister in law are going to have their first kid in December, and I thought it would be a neat idea to get a bottle of scotch for the kid, to be opened on their 21st.

I don't know a lot about scotch, but my thinking was that it would be something that would have a little age to it after 20 years and that doing so would improve its flavor.

Is this a bad idea for a gift (I'd also give real baby items, this is just an extra)? Does aging scotch in the bottle actually do any good? What are some good brands or styles to look for?

Scotch aging happens in the cask. Once it's in the bottle, it's inert. So if the kid opens it when they're 21 it's going to taste pretty much the same as it does the day you buy it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AFAIK, scotch doesn't age in the bottle. After 20 years, it would just be older scotch, not better scotch. That said, it is kind of cool cracking open a bottle that was given that long ago, as I got that opportunity to do that when a buddy of mine got married and we opened a bottle his dad had been given when my buddy was born.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CzarChasm posted:

Nah, aging scotch in the bottle doesn't really do anything. If anything it'll just evaporate a bit. Barrel-aged scotches improve over time due to the increased flavors they pull out of the barrels in which they're aged. If anything, a scotch that sits around for 21 years after the kid is born is going to have a muted flavor, at least compared to when it was initially bottled. Not to mention a 21 year old is going to want to pound Jaeger-bombs, not sip scotch.

Do the kid a favor and open some sort of investment account for use when he comes of age. Lord knows how expensive college will be by the time he can attend.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is skating pretty close to E/N territory but since it's related to dining I wanted to ask- if you got a burger or something at a little greasy diner and found a small hair in your sandwich, what would you do? The GF and I got lunch together today and this happened to her, and she's been pissed off at me ever since for not taking it to the counter and cussing them out or whatever. I feel like in a diner that's going to happen every once in a while and it's purely by accident and not worth some poor kitchen guy's job, but I've also never worked in a restaurant so I don't know other people's standards on the issue. Obviously hair in food is gross but for a greasy spoon like that I'm fine with not causing a scene over one tiny piece of hair, am I crazy for feeling this way?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

This is skating pretty close to E/N territory but since it's related to dining I wanted to ask- if you got a burger or something at a little greasy diner and found a small hair in your sandwich, what would you do? The GF and I got lunch together today and this happened to her, and she's been pissed off at me ever since for not taking it to the counter and cussing them out or whatever. I feel like in a diner that's going to happen every once in a while and it's purely by accident and not worth some poor kitchen guy's job, but I've also never worked in a restaurant so I don't know other people's standards on the issue. Obviously hair in food is gross but for a greasy spoon like that I'm fine with not causing a scene over one tiny piece of hair, am I crazy for feeling this way?

You don't need to make a scene but I would politely tell the wait staff that there was hair and either ask for a new one or ask for that one removed from your bill. No need to cuss out the place or flip tables or whatever.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Even better, you should simmer the brats in beer and onions.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

AFAIK, scotch doesn't age in the bottle. After 20 years, it would just be older scotch, not better scotch. That said, it is kind of cool cracking open a bottle that was given that long ago, as I got that opportunity to do that when a buddy of mine got married and we opened a bottle his dad had been given when my buddy was born.

A couple of years ago, my brothers and my father finished off a bottle of some Canadian whisky that my grandfather had bought in the 1950s. It was just cheap Canadian whisky, nothing special, but seemed unchanged from the 1950s.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CzarChasm posted:

As a bunch of people said this doesn't work for scotch but it does work for some red wines, they have to be upper end winery products though (not like 2 Buck Chuck or something) packaged properly and held at proper temperature, so its kind of a pain in the rear end, but if you really want to do it vintage ports are a good call (vintage is a distinctive labeling on port, I don't mean like, old) and are generally made to be held into before drinking so they will age just fine. Other bold reds can be aged too, but you'd have to do some more research on specifics.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I know people who have bought nebuchadnezzars of wine (~15L) for cellaring for their kid's 21st bday. You can also buy whisk(e)y futures by the cask so as to have a cask worth of 21 year old whisk(e)y when the kid turns 21. I know one person who did this with some bourbon but not for their kid.

Both of these are quite expensive, though I think the whisk(e)y option is less risky in terms of spoilage (cork taint, improper storage, whatever).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I never knew until your post and think it's completely awesome that one can purchase a "nebuchadnezzar" of wine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Weird.

http://www.twirlandtaste.com/2012/11/champagne-and-happy-twirls.html

Quarter Bottle 0.2 litres
Half Bottle 0.375 litres
Bottle 0.75 litres
Magnum (2 bottles) 1.5 litres
Jereboam (4 bottles) 3 litres
Jeroboam (actually Jeroboam II), was the King of Israel during the year of Rome's founding (753 BC)
Rehoboam (6 bottles) 4.5 litres
A son of Solomon, Rehoboam (meaning "the clan is enlarged" according to Willard Espy) became king of Judah in 933 BC.
Methuselah (8 bottles) 6 litres
Salmanazar (12 bottles) 9 litres
Shalmaneser (alternatively spelled Salmanazar) was an Assyrian monarch who reigned around 1250 BC.
Balthazar(16 bottles) 12 litres
Nabuchadnezzar (20 bottles) 15 litres (SIC)

Clarence
May 3, 2012

The Midniter posted:

Nah, aging scotch in the bottle doesn't really do anything. If anything it'll just evaporate a bit. Barrel-aged scotches improve over time due to the increased flavors they pull out of the barrels in which they're aged. If anything, a scotch that sits around for 21 years after the kid is born is going to have a muted flavor, at least compared to when it was initially bottled. Not to mention a 21 year old is going to want to pound Jaeger-bombs, not sip scotch.

Do the kid a favor and open some sort of investment account for use when he comes of age. Lord knows how expensive college will be by the time he can attend.

Or combine the whisky and the investment and buy a barrel that will be bottled on the kid's 21st bottle. That might be a bit expensive to do on your own, but a group of half-or-dozen or so friends of mine grouped together to do it - I can find out the details if anyone is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
There's a "make your own wine" place near me. I looked up their pricing, and it's $12-$14/bottle, and you can choose to make a 1/2 barrel or a barrel (120 or 250 bottles, respectively). It takes 9-10 months before you can bottle it, and you can keep the cask at the wine making place.

Originally, I was going to suggest doing something like this, but leave it in the cask for years. After researching that, I wouldn't bother. Just doing everything at home is more worth it.

Of course, that goes completely off from simply buying a bottle of whiskey, but it's a thought if you know how to ferment things yourself. It's probably too risky, though.