Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

Deuce posted:

I have to figure this was someone's first time using armor like that. If they'd even gone out to do a quest or two they'd notice that one or two trash mobs were beating their faces in, right?

Hammer Station is pretty low. You can get away with using no mods gear assuming your companion isn't the same way and assuming you never challenge anything higher than a 3-man normal mob. And even then, you're going to feel underpowered as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Crindee posted:

Oh great, Gree is back, I knew I should've finished up that last Seeker quest last night, now Ilum general is just a giant wall of complaints about PvP.

Hell yeah and it is glorious. Just got done holding the pylon on various instances for about 2 hours, the PvE'rs go absolutely ape poo poo. I can't decide if my favorite whispers are the ones informing me I've been reported or the ones that I've been "blacklisted." :ohdear:

2 Infiltration Shadows, Scrapper Scoundrel, and Sawbones/DF hybrid Scoundrel. All BiS Conqueror. Bring on the arenas.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Hell yeah and it is glorious. Just got done holding the pylon on various instances for about 2 hours, the PvE'rs go absolutely ape poo poo. I can't decide if my favorite whispers are the ones informing me I've been reported or the ones that I've been "blacklisted." :ohdear:

2 Infiltration Shadows, Scrapper Scoundrel, and Sawbones/DF hybrid Scoundrel. All BiS Conqueror. Bring on the arenas.

The arenas with new PvP gear sets?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I dusted this off after not touching it for a year and coming back to an MMO after that long, especially after it's gone F2P, is a pretty awful experience. So I've got 60 coins that I can spend on...a single quick travel? And I don't remember my rotations for my level 45 imperial agent or what I was doing in the story on some Republic prison planet with an evil AI. Maybe I need to hop back on my trooper and see how that was going but I suspect I'll have the same problem there.

edit: my mid 30s trooper is a power tech :( Maybe I'll just start over with a bounty hunter.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 24, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Well, picked this up again. Decided to play my Operative for now, Imastabbu (blame server merges and drunkenness for silly name) on Prophecy of the Five. I got a 50 Shadow on another account too but I'm not in the mood for that character atm.

E: oh my god so many buttons I don't know how to play my operative again

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 24, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So I'm a little disappointed with the Gree event achievements, despite them being a step in the right direction to get people actually fighting instead of waiting in line. Specifically, the ones for killing 50 orb carriers and for killing 10 players with orb detonations are problematic.

To get kill credit for the first, you have to get the killing blow, so running in a group really doesn't help much. For the detonations, you have to be the one who drops the orb and charges the pylon to get kill credit. You can only pick up orbs while on the quest, so you have a max of two chances per character per day to hope you catch someone who's already wounded next to the pylon who isn't able to interrupt you while you charge it. Basically, you've got to either be ridiculously lucky or coordinate with someone else to trade kills. I was hoping to get the meta-achievement this go around, but I think those two are going to be impossible to pull off.

Also, Bolster seems to be kind of wonky on Ilum. My 53 Vanguard with Campaign gear gets bolstered to 1962 Expertise there, but my 55 Merc in 69s only gets 1300-something.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Wait, the kill somebody with orb detonations one only works with actually dropping on the pylon? I assumed other orb detonations (dying with an orb, mainly) would count too.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That might count, I'll try to check it out tonight. Also, I just read about an easy way to cheese out the "kill 50 orb carriers" one that I'll also try tonight and post here with details if it works out. I really hope I can knock out those two somehow, since I'm already making good progress on the rest.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Nipponophile posted:

Bolster seems to be kind of wonky on Ilum. My 53 Vanguard with Campaign gear gets bolstered to 1962 Expertise there, but my 55 Merc in 69s only gets 1300-something.

If you have no expertise, the amount of bolster bonus you receive is based on your gear level at the median of the current grade of Expertise-based gear -- which is 65. Having 61s will net you a very large bonus, while being in 69s nets a smaller one since you are over the grade.

I think Crafted artifact 66s are probably best if you don't actually carry partisan around.

As for the Gree thing, I haven't done the last two events because I burnt out on it so bad racing for Legend Status. Spent my comms on the Gree double-saber staff for a new Shadow and gave my Merc's HK-47 the Gree Sniper Rifle -- and that poo poo is tits on the droid. My 'slinger's HK uses the Assassin's Touch Sniper Bowcaster from the Chevin event.

Gonna really dig those HK customizations next month...

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e;Wrong thread :v:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

2.2.3 Patch Notes posted:

Human Male characters with head option 22 no longer feel pretty
Awwwwwww. :smith:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

You can still be witty though.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Vriess posted:

You can still be witty though.

And ga---wait, no, that's only on Makeb.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Pryce posted:

And ga---wait, no, that's only on Makeb.

The Las Vegas of Star Wars: The Old Republic, it would seem. :gay:

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
I have a 37 sorc that I don't really play anymore but I want unlock the legacy buff. Can I finish hoth at 37? I can't seem to find anything saying yes or no.

edit: I was able to complete it at 37, a little rough on some of the 40 mobs, but doable.

Strategy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 25, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Strategy posted:

I have a 37 sorc that I don't really play anymore but I want unlock the legacy buff. Can I finish hoth at 37? I can't seem to find anything saying yes or no.

Been a while since I ran Hoth, but probably. Depends on you and your companions gear, but you should be fine.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
Yeah you can finish chapter 2 entirely around level 36. Just make sure you get the accuracy from skill points. I rushed two chapter 2 stories over a double exp weekend that way.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Well I just had an experience getting that final Seeker Droid quest done.

Finally managed to get in a group, game crashes almost immediately and decides it needs to update the client, adding a extra few minutes of tearing my hair out trying to get back before I'm kicked. I do, we get just past that lovely hallway where you have to power up the turret/shields, and my internet goes down.

Around 8 o'clock I manage to get back on and get another group together, and when we get to the lovely turret-hallway it's empty. How lucky! It's still my phase from earlier, so we don't have to do it again. We make it all the way to the final boss before realizing that of course this also means nobody's quest is updating, because I'm at a different point in it than everyone else, so I'm the only one who'll end up getting credit for killing the boss (the worst part is that happened to me just a few days ago with someone else's partially-finished quest, so I should've known better). I apologize, we step outside, I reset my phase, and we go back in.

This time we get to the lovely turret-hallway and oh no, it's bugged! Mobs keep breaking through the containment shields, but the power-cells aren't clickable, so there's no way to manage them and they just keep coming. We do a surprisingly-good job fighting them all, actually, but after 10-15 minutes of this we realize that earlier I reset my phase, not the quest associated with it (even though I loving know you have to do that, guess I was just having a stroke or something), so once again we get to backtrack to the entrance and start over.

After that, we wipe in the hallway (not because of me at least, thank God, had a few power-cell-related instant deaths) and end up having to start over. Again. I started advertising for a group around 8; we finished the quest, which should've taken about 20 minutes, around 9:45.

So what stupid, humiliating poo poo have you guys done in this game?

Knight007au
May 8, 2007

Ajax posted:

You need to have GUTS.

No but seriously I tried to level a consular and got to about 21 before caving and selecting an AC, it was god awful. Please let me know what level you got your Knight to :allears:

(It is a joke - unless you're in on the joke, pick an AC when you go to the fleet for the first time.)

Ok cool thanks. I'm only at level 12 because I haven't had much time to play there are just too many cool games now. I think I will go with guardian next time I log on.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Crindee posted:

Well I just had an experience getting that final Seeker Droid quest done.

That quest is a buggy disaster. I've done it twice now and both times its been a fiasco, especially in that hallway part. One time we got the turret to 87.5% and then nothing happened no matter how many fuel cells we fed it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I didn't see this addressed in the OP, but for f2p/preferred accounts, is there a way to earn cartel coins in-game through achievements/what have you, a la LOTRO? I subbed for awhile at launch and again for a month right before f2p hit, so I have about 830 cartel coins right now, which is just a few shy of a couple account upgrades I want to get (another quickbar, as well as the unify color/hide helmet cosmetic options).

Also are those all account-based or character-based?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
There are a few achievements that give cartel coins that can be earned through gameplay. Here's a list: http://dulfy.net/2013/02/21/swtor-legacy-achievements-guide/

Unlocks will tell you if they are character or account based, as there are some of each and also some that can be purchased as either. You'll need to read the fine print.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I just mapped out the Operator 9 fight on a piece of paper because I realized I had no idea how the pylons were laid out.

Is this correct?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

wtftastic posted:

Is this correct?

It is. And the color orbs that spawn in hard/nightmare will appear on the left/right sides of the diagram and then float around but they will avoid the center boss circle.

A few weeks ago we failed that fight on nightmare mode when one of the raid members suddenly disconnected. A while later he sends a text message explaining his dad had forcibly pulled his internet connection out of the wall and he was indisposed for the rest of the week.

He's now left the guild to join one that raids even more often.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Promethium posted:

It is. And the color orbs that spawn in hard/nightmare will appear on the left/right sides of the diagram and then float around but they will avoid the center boss circle.

A few weeks ago we failed that fight on nightmare mode when one of the raid members suddenly disconnected. A while later he sends a text message explaining his dad had forcibly pulled his internet connection out of the wall and he was indisposed for the rest of the week.

He's now left the guild to join one that raids even more often.

I've never actually completed the fight on hard mode- I find it incredibly stressful. I'm trying to prep for the next time we attempt it because I instantly become a drooling moron under pressure, so if I have it fixed in my brain it will probably work better.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Nipponophile posted:

So I'm a little disappointed with the Gree event achievements, despite them being a step in the right direction to get people actually fighting instead of waiting in line. Specifically, the ones for killing 50 orb carriers and for killing 10 players with orb detonations are problematic.

To get kill credit for the first, you have to get the killing blow, so running in a group really doesn't help much. For the detonations, you have to be the one who drops the orb and charges the pylon to get kill credit. You can only pick up orbs while on the quest, so you have a max of two chances per character per day to hope you catch someone who's already wounded next to the pylon who isn't able to interrupt you while you charge it. Basically, you've got to either be ridiculously lucky or coordinate with someone else to trade kills. I was hoping to get the meta-achievement this go around, but I think those two are going to be impossible to pull off.

Also, Bolster seems to be kind of wonky on Ilum. My 53 Vanguard with Campaign gear gets bolstered to 1962 Expertise there, but my 55 Merc in 69s only gets 1300-something.

Got two weeks to kill?
Gree Event Madness
I've got three spots to fill
for HM Xenoanalyst

I got my Expertise gear on now
Riding through Ilum on the prowl
Been in the warzone queue for an hour
Modded my stuff with full surge and power

Oh, my God, I see Sith over there
Ally or foe, it really doesn't matter here
Now I'm force pulled, and attacked from everywhere
Press this button to respawn

Only two weeks to go
Gree Event Madness
It'll be over before you know
World PvP at its best

It's that Gree Event, Gree Event Madness
G-g-Gree Event, Gree Event Madness
Got that Gree Event, Gree Event Madness
Oh, oh, oh

I've found a Gree energy orb
Getting in line to place it in
Suddenly four shadows appear with a grin
Timer's low, now everyone's a corpse

Oh, my God, I see Sith over there
Ally or foe, it really doesn't matter here
Now I'm force pulled, and attacked from everywhere
Press this button to respawn

Only two weeks to go
Gree Event Madness
World PvP at its best

Oh, oh, oh

It's not like there's any question
That the speeder's cool and the weapons are decent
After all the achievements
I'll stop doing it when I've hit Legend (legend, legend)

Oh, oh, oh

Only two weeks to go
Gree Event Madness
World PvP at its best

Oh, oh, oh

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I just started playing this last night. I subscribed and started a Bounty Hunter on the server with That's No Goon. I just got to the fleet and specced mercenary but I don't know what crew skills to train or really what to do now.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

wtftastic posted:

I just mapped out the Operator 9 fight on a piece of paper because I realized I had no idea how the pylons were laid out.

Is this correct?

I took the liberty of adding a few notes and clarifications to reflect proper That's No Goon raiding procedure:

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 26, 2013

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Daric posted:

I just started playing this last night. I subscribed and started a Bounty Hunter on the server with That's No Goon. I just got to the fleet and specced mercenary but I don't know what crew skills to train or really what to do now.

Your best bet is to go with something that is enhanced by your companion list.

For Bounty Hunters, Gault and Blizz have Crafting Crits on Armstech and Biochemistry. Torian will also crit on Bioanalysis, while Skadge has bonus efficiency with Scavenging. So I would go with one of those two as meshing best with Bounty Hunter.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Biochem/Bio-analysis/Diplomacy is the best choice for a first character, because you'll be able to use medpacks when you have an oh poo poo moment.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I recommend Armortech personally, since all your companions get use out of it and its really great for keeping them and yourself geared up with minimal management.

Also do the same thing for Trooper so your Havoc Squad all have matching uniforms/armor.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Never pick armortech. Armortech/armstech are some of the worst ones in terms of working as you level, as you'll be replacing your gear every 3-4 levels, and not have enough materials to do so. It's a lot more useful once your making stuff for alts, but for a first character it's almost certainly a trap.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Biochem and Cybertech are both good options for a first character. If you don't want to worry about crafting, you could instead take Scavenging, Bioanalysis, and Slicing, and just focus on gathering materials to sell to others.

As for what else to do, I would first advise finding a partner and running the Black Talon flashpoint. It starts on fleet and is designed to be run by two characters at level 10. It's a nice introduction to grouping and basic boss mechanics.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 26, 2013

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Nipponophile posted:

Biochem and Cybertech are both good options for a first character. If you don't want to worry about crafting, you could instead take Scavenging, Bioanalysis, and Slicing, and just focus on gathering materials to sell to others.

Yeah I'd probably do something like this for my first one. It's a great way to make credits while you're levelling and it's something less to try and keep up with while levelling for the first time. If you do want to craft stuff though, I'd definitely go with Biochem, the re-usable stims and medpacks are fantastic.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
It really doesn't matter that much for your first character. Biochem is best, but after that so can you just roll with whatever really.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
Dropping in here to say that my guild Sinister, on Harbinger, is recruiting people for 16 HM and hopefully NiM later. We've got about 18 on our roster at the moment but because of the summer, we've been 14 or 15 manning some bosses on HM. We are currently 6/7 and 2/5 on 16 HM progress. Raid times are Tues and Thurs 6 pm to 8:30 pm Eastern. We don't care what your gear is at, as long as you're a great raider and can make the raid times.

Drop an in-game mail to Bageena if you're interested.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
Regardless of what crew skill you pick, try not to invest too much into it at first. They can turn into a huge credit sink pretty fast.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I ended up just taking the 3 crafting skills. I'm just going to use them to make extra money so I can afford a speeder when I hit 15.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Depending on how you feel about buying cartel coins, the mounts you get from there are pretty great if you pay the bit extra to unlock them for your legacy, they all come with the Improved Speeder Piloting I unlock, so all of your future characters get free mount training at level 10 and a pretty good mount.

If you get the pod racer you even get the best levelling mount, as it has exceptional resistance to being knocked off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If you buy an Aratech Rose however I will kick your rear end

• Locked thread