Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm glad Portugal didn't get hosed out of the New World as badly as in real life. :unsmith:

The Ottomans actually becoming fairly powerful is a nice change from EU3 as well.

e: I wonder if France won all that land the old-fashioned way or if it was really clever use of personal unions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Alchenar posted:

No big blue blob devouring all before it!

Maybe it's just that one token game where France gets eaten early on. I've seen a few of those in my many many plays of EU3.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I love the fact that you can now zoom all the way (or very nearly all the way) out. :3:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

And somehow only the Shawnee have been wholly conquered, with neither Player Khan nor the AI bothering to take the rest of 'em.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I want to buy that game. A lot.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

A Violence Gang posted:

Can you still earn the Call to Arms rewards now that they've started sending out the initial ones? I only got to 3 so I was hoping I still have time to unlock the DLC the next tier.

I will say it always annoyed me when I couldn't enact some decision or whatever it was that required a monarch with a certain ability score. It felt frustrating to be crippled by the RNG, possibly for 30+ years, especially if there were other potentially difficult conditions to fulfill that might not be met when a competent king took the throne (another reason to like the elective governments). Hope the new game doesn't cause the same frustrations.

Yeah my last game of EUIII was as the Aztecs, and I had to play the ruler lottery to have an ADM 6 ruler when Spain showed up and murdered the Maya. Failure to do so = annexation and game over.

As long as being able to do poo poo isn't tied to ruler stats beyond the player's control it's all good.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates
What a major pain in the rear end it was. Average 6/4/5 king, with a 8/9/8 heir dying in a hunting accident, replaced by a 4/3/3 heir with low legitimacy that throws the country into civil war :freep:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I just noticed - the Manchu own China?

That must have been a later start.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dj Vulvio posted:

What a major pain in the rear end it was. Average 6/4/5 king, with a 8/9/8 heir dying in a hunting accident, replaced by a 4/3/3 heir with low legitimacy that throws the country into civil war :freep:

I had 3 kings in succession with ADM <=3 who I let hang out in the un-colonized desert wastes north of Mexico until they died.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 26, 2013

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Beamed posted:

I just noticed - the Manchu own China?

That must have been a later start.
I wonder if EU4 is going to be able to handle things like the Manchu conquest of China? It's pretty much impossible in EU3 :china:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Alchenar posted:

The year is 1787 BC. Britain is entirely occupied by the Gauls. Well, not entirely... One small village of indomitable Britons still holds out against the invaders. And life is not easy for the French legionaries who garrrison the fortified camps of Totorum, Aquarium, Laudanum and Compendium.....

I chuckled. Good work. :golfclap:

Is it me, or is that a blue England in the Kola peninsula?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dibujante posted:

I wonder if EU4 is going to be able to handle things like the Manchu conquest of China? It's pretty much impossible in EU3 :china:

I'd do something like this:

1. Manchuria takes enough territory and other such prerequisites to proclaim itself the Qing Dynasty.

2. Qing captures Beijing during war.

2. Event chain fires ending war, annexing nearby areas, and splitting other regions of China into smaller states.

3. Qing has cores (or reduced cost or whatever) on all these states, which all hate each others' guts to make them easy prey.

Someone playing as Ming shouldn't have to deal with any of this, of course, but it'd be a great way to nudge the AI along a historical path.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Kavak posted:

I'd do something like this:

1. Manchuria takes enough territory and other such prerequisites to proclaim itself the Qing Dynasty.

2. Qing captures Beijing during war.

2. Event chain fires ending war, annexing nearby areas, and splitting other regions of China into smaller states.

3. Qing has cores (or reduced cost or whatever) on all these states, which all hate each others' guts to make them easy prey.

Someone playing as Ming shouldn't have to deal with any of this, of course, but it'd be a great way to nudge the AI along a historical path.

It was a mod(Maybe EU3+, or WAMMO) that did a system I quite liked: Until you claim Beijing, you're just another Turkic/Mongolian tribal nation, but once you've captured it, you can reform into a Despotic Empire or whatever as the Qing(with the option of the Jin, but that's just a pipe dream..for now). The other country either splinters or just gets huge rebellions from losing the Mandate of Heaven, and now all countries within China or bordering it (with some exceptions, this would need tweaking) getting the "Mandate of Heaven" Casus Belli on other countries. Once enough 'key' regions were controlled, like Beijing, X'ian, and Nanjing, something similar to that, then all other countries would lose the CB besides you, and you'd gain the flag "Mandate of Heaven".

A man can dream :china:

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

More nation videos!

Muscovy, apparently he was able to take a huge chunk of Lithuania because the AI never converted its Orthodox provinces, leading to separatist rebels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z917BLwObzQ

Kalmar Union countries, where Quill is being Quill again because he wonders why the 3 kings have the same stats while being in PUs :bravo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4NLYns8oog

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Beamed posted:

It was a mod(Maybe EU3+, or WAMMO) that did a system I quite liked: Until you claim Beijing, you're just another Turkic/Mongolian tribal nation, but once you've captured it, you can reform into a Despotic Empire or whatever as the Qing(with the option of the Jin, but that's just a pipe dream..for now). The other country either splinters or just gets huge rebellions from losing the Mandate of Heaven, and now all countries within China or bordering it (with some exceptions, this would need tweaking) getting the "Mandate of Heaven" Casus Belli on other countries. Once enough 'key' regions were controlled, like Beijing, X'ian, and Nanjing, something similar to that, then all other countries would lose the CB besides you, and you'd gain the flag "Mandate of Heaven".

A man can dream :china:

It would honestly not be terrible for there to be an event chain where occupying Beijing in a war gives you a choice where you can either declare yourself to be a new dynasty or not. Then, you get cores on China proper + your existing cores. Of course, the existing dynasty can still protest, but this should also cause them some kind of crisis event that makes them weaker. I'm pretty sure that EU3+ or something did do something like that with just about all of China's neighbours.

On a semi-related note, is there really a hands-off mode in EU4? That will make it way easier to see if some of the events I put together actually accomplish what I hope.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Dibujante posted:

On a semi-related note, is there really a hands-off mode in EU4? That will make it way easier to see if some of the events I put together actually accomplish what I hope.

I think typing "observe" in the console works in EU3, V2 and CK2, I guess it's the same in EU4.

ed: Apparently it's only in CK2.

Vodos fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 26, 2013

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Current Campaign as Kiev->Ruthenia, year 900-something. Built the Kingdom over the course of two really good rulers, the second of whom lived to 80. Being stuck in gavelkind, I decided to keep my Demesne small and the other duchies heavily fragmented and out of family hands to prevent claims on the crown of propagating. It's served me well.

The Queen of Russia on my north border is a close ally of mine, has been since I got the crown into the family generations ago. They've been on hard times recently from the Swedes and the Danes hammering on them. They used to own almost all of Lithuania. Together we form the core of the Reformed Slavic faith. The Swedes have kept to regular Norse, but the Danes went catholic.

In the west, Bulgaria, Great Moravia, and recently Bohemia, have maintained an alliance to contain me. Together they can put up a good fight, but by picking my battles well I took Moldavia from the Bulgarians and bit off some of Moravian Poland. (though I got most of that by subjugating the last remaining Slavic tribes)

In the east lies the largest example of something I've been experimenting with. Outside of DeJure Ruthenia, I've been flipping all the provinces I conquer into city or temple ruled states, and bundling them into duke-level theocracies and republics.(Including the creation of two trade republics on the black sea) This has given me a way to expand my income without using lovely feudal tax rates, and created a lot of titles that are protected from any attempts at dynastic shenanigans.

I've also found that the opinion hit for being the wrong type of liege to be a blessing in disguise.

After a succession, bad military loss, or other major crisis, the non-dejure republics will be the first ones on the wagon to raise some kind of rabble. Usually, they all get together and form an independence faction. When they rise up, I can call up the levies from all my noble vassals (With no fuss, as I'm on the defensive) in the kingdom proper and easily smash their light city troops and soft city forts. Once I defeat them, I get a pile of prestige and a global opinion boost for having crushed a major revolt. Then, I can ransom all the duke-level mayors off for hundreds of gold. If they use their freedom to try and go another round, I smack them down again.

A boot stepping on the face of a Patrician, forever.

aerie
Aug 29, 2009

This was a session I played at home. Goal was simply to conquer as much as possible to see what the game can do. My Goal from the get go was to vasselize Spain Portugal and England. (Foix, Switzerland, and Brittany were also vassilized. Spain and Brittany was diplo annexed)

I though it would be fun to have some screenshots looking a bit more like what actual playing could look like in the end. World conquest is going to be hard :)

it was played from the start. So Manchu did that by itself.
Yes, that is England taking kola.

aerie fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 26, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Vodos posted:

I think typing "observe" in the console works in EU3, CK2 and V2, I guess it's the same in EU4.

It doesn't work in EU3.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vodos posted:

Kalmar Union countries, where Quill is being Quill again because he wonders why the 3 kings have the same stats while being in PUs :bravo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4NLYns8oog
At least he figured it out once he actually started thinking about it. I'm happy to see that Denmark and Sweden are better balanced this time around, what with Denmark actually having about equal army capabilities at the start, instead of being significantly worse off like in EU3. Sure, the Swedes have a lot of potential for growth, but they shouldn't start of like it's Stormaktstiden from day one. Was a bit worried when I saw that early mega-Sweden in that other video, but that hopefully has less to do with Sweden being overpowered, and more to do with the AI just sometimes being able to seize an opportunity and really go for dominance. The culture map having a single color for the entire group, but separate colors when selecting a province is also very nice.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SeaTard posted:

It doesn't work in EU3.
Well it worked on the two most recent games using the engine, and Quill seems to be using it in his hands-off video (since his country symbol is the rebel shield), so I think it's a safe bet it's in.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Johan has finally given in to Polish pressure and put their NIs in a dev diary!
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?704024-Europa-Universalis-IV-Developer-diary-41-What-we-all-waited-for!

There's also a new video dev diary that I somehow missed completely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE5YMzn6t4M

Ed: "Hungary starts with +200% cost of core creation on their territory and +5% morale recovery on armies." That's interesting I guess, is there any historic reason behind this?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hells bells, what's the Westernization mechanics in EU3plus? Haven't really played a serious game with it before, but it's 1565, I'm the Kingdom of Normandy, and the Iroquois are already a westernized, Christiani Reformed despotic kingdom with tech only slightly behind the major European powers-- they're at tech levels 15-16, while the European states such as myself are hovering around level 21 at the moment. I only went to war and vassalized the Iroquois back in 1546. What happened when I wasn't looking?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Vodos posted:

More nation videos!

Muscovy, apparently he was able to take a huge chunk of Lithuania because the AI never converted its Orthodox provinces, leading to separatist rebels.

To be fair he only wondered that for like 1/2 a second.

It's a bit weird how there are trade routes incoming from the Atlantic before the Americas even get discovered. I wonder how hard-coded all those arrows are.

Muscovy looks really fun and I think I might play them for my first game. (let's all post which nation we are going to play first :shobon:)

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Vodos posted:

Ed: "Hungary starts with +200% cost of core creation on their territory and +5% morale recovery on armies." That's interesting I guess, is there any historic reason behind this?

Perhaps Hungary's survival against the Ottomans and not being dominated completely by Austria?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Dibujante posted:

It would honestly not be terrible for there to be an event chain where occupying Beijing in a war gives you a choice where you can either declare yourself to be a new dynasty or not. Then, you get cores on China proper + your existing cores. Of course, the existing dynasty can still protest, but this should also cause them some kind of crisis event that makes them weaker. I'm pretty sure that EU3+ or something did do something like that with just about all of China's neighbours.
Yeah, just make a quick check to ensure they're an actual neighbor of China and not, say Japan/European/etc., and that'd work kind of well.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

fuf posted:

It's a bit weird how there are trade routes incoming from the Atlantic before the Americas even get discovered. I wonder how hard-coded all those arrows are.
They're probably moddable, but there's no mechanic for changing them dynamically during play, which is why there's trans-Atlantic and -Pacific ones at the start.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Beamed posted:

Yeah, just make a quick check to ensure they're an actual neighbor of China and not, say Japan/European/etc., and that'd work kind of well.
Yes, although Japan should absolutely be a legitimate target for this event, given that Japanese high society spent most of this time period emulating China (poorly).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sindai posted:

Well it worked on the two most recent games using the engine, and Quill seems to be using it in his hands-off video (since his country symbol is the rebel shield), so I think it's a safe bet it's in.

Yeah, I meant as an update to his statement earlier, eu3 doesn't have an observe mode. The normal way of doing it is to make a mod that gives you a country surrounded by impassable terrain, put yourself in a tech group that no one else is in, and then turn off fow.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

SeaTard posted:

Yeah, I meant as an update to his statement earlier, eu3 doesn't have an observe mode. The normal way of doing it is to make a mod that gives you a country surrounded by impassable terrain, put yourself in a tech group that no one else is in, and then turn off fow.

I thought that turning off the fog of war turned off the fog of war for everyone. Is that not so?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Ofaloaf posted:

I thought that turning off the fog of war turned off the fog of war for everyone. Is that not so?

Yeah but it's as good as you're going to get. Only other option is to just let it run, save and quit, and then load the save and look around the world in the load game screen. It's more annoying than just panning around the world in game but it means the AI doesn't do silly things like colonize the Americas in 1399.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I thought it was only for your tech group, which is why you move to your own custom tech group. Maybe not, it's been a long time since I tried it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Looking at the EU4 map, it's just now striking me that the old world is shifted southwards from what it is in reality. Anyone know why this is? All of Africa and Eurasia is shifted like 500 miles south. London is on the same parallel as New York. It's weird.

edit: Here's the EU4 map, for reference:

It's really off-putting.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 27, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Looking at the EU4 map, it's just now striking me that the old world is shifted southwards from what it is in reality. Anyone know why this is? All of Africa and Eurasia is shifted like 500 miles south. London is on the same parallel as New York. It's weird.

Yeah what's going on there?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I was trying to puzzle this out by myself but I have a question. As someone who has tried and failed to get into EUIII (Haven't tried CKII), does EU IV look to be any more nub friendly? I realllly wanna get how to play these paradox games.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

SilkyP posted:

I was trying to puzzle this out by myself but I have a question. As someone who has tried and failed to get into EUIII (Haven't tried CKII), does EU IV look to be any more nub friendly? I realllly wanna get how to play these paradox games.
It does sound like they've simultaneously simplified and deepened a number of concepts that were needlessly monotonous or arcane in EU3, like trade. There's an ongoing preview LP at the Youtube channel of someone I'm sure you can find linked hereabouts, though I can't say how useful it'd be for your evaluation as I haven't watched it myself yet.

But, as everyone will tell you, CK2 is a fantastic intro to Paradox and frequently cheap so that'd probably be a better option than diving in on EU4 at full price.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah what's going on there?

Probably so that you can reach The New World with a reasonable amount of new world techs/ideas.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SilkyP posted:

Yeah, it looks like tooltips are greatly expanded to help you figure out everything that's going on, many of the more arcane features of 3 (trade, as A Violence Gang mentioned, but also many other things like technology, the fact that monthly and yearly budgets are two entirely different things, and so on) and according to quill18's LP (which I'd really recommend going on Youtube and looking at) there's a "help" button that you can click on, and then click any other part of the UI to get an explanation of what that function is and how it works.

I think AVG is right when he recommends you try CK2 first as it is really easy to get into, but it looks like they're putting everything they've learned about accessibility and user-friendliness since CK2 to work in EUIV, so I think you won't be left out when EUIV does come around.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's really off-putting.
It's because Europe is scaled up, and also projection wonkeyness. If you notice, South America is also moved north. This is done to remove worthless arctic space from the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SilkyP posted:

There are some very good LPs for CK2, as well as a new learning one starting up now. I'd recommend playing CK2 first because of the wealth of knowledge that is available for new players to learn from.

• Locked thread