Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It's also clearly dubbed footage. They honestly except people to think this conversation is being rendered on the fly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
The creator of the KS seems talkative on the comments section, if someone wants to ask the specifics of the project.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2117525416/supertoy-worlds-first-natural-talking-teddy-bear

:stare: This is the fakest poo poo I've ever seen.

First of all, my area of study in college was Artificial Intelligence, so I can tell you there's no way this is loving possible right now. Even IBM's Watson (A supercomputer with internet access which takes up an entire floor of a major building) can't respond NEARLY that well. We haven't solved natural language processing yet, and yet this loving teddy bear claims that it can provide detailed, syntactic, and situational conversation using nothing more than an iPhone?

:siren: SCAM ALERT. :siren:
Then since my Spidey senses were tingling I looked more closely at the video. OH HEY look, there's an edit cut after EVERY question:
She asks a question when you can hear an airplane going by. He answers clearly, no airplane.
She asks a question, her sleeves are rolled down (see the blue?) He answers, her sleeves are magically rolled up over her shoulders. HMM. :colbert:

And its not like they just forgot to mention it wasn't done yet and this was a mockup, she explicitly asks "Can you see me?" and he responds "Not right now" which implies everything else happening right now is real, but it absolutely is not. :bang:
These guys know what they're doing. They got a little girl to do the pitch video to try to obfuscate it; hoping people would be too busy going "awww" to notice how BS this is. :argh:

:laffo: So this AI is smart enough to hold a conversation and can dictate the internet to you, while filtering out inappropriate content for children? And it can tell the difference between kids and adults, and can not only fool kids, but can pass the loving Turing Test with adults? No way in hell.

This is a loving Furby. And its masquerading as C3PO.

It annoys the gently caress out of me that these brits purposely made this toy sound like Ted, from the movie. But the accent is so loving badly off that it's making me cringe with sympathetic shame. This is probably what it feels like to British people when an American tries to do a cockney accent.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Supertoy posted:

You can see a web demo of Teddie's predecessor here:
https://ask.pannous.com/

I honestly wonder how they could possibly make people believe that they have improved the AI and voice for this thing to the state that it's usable like in the video.
Especially considering how the last update for the Voice Actions seemed to have been in August 2010.

I am expecting a fully functional Terminator from these people in the next three years.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

DancingPenguin posted:

I am expecting a fully functional Terminator from these people in the next three years.

Kickstart Skynet - as a special thank you, if you pledge over $20000, you'll receive the liquid metal pack (1 of 1 left).

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Their website still has Lorem Ipsum at the bottom.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Noni posted:

It annoys the gently caress out of me that these brits purposely made this toy sound like Ted, from the movie. But the accent is so loving badly off that it's making me cringe with sympathetic shame. This is probably what it feels like to British people when an American tries to do a cockney accent.

On the other hand I would buy a teddy bear that had the cursing done by Michael Caine feature.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
The story that the movie AI was based on was titled Super-Toys Last All Summer Long. It's certainly an intentional reference, but is it marketing for something else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-Toys_Last_All_Summer_Long

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

The story that the movie AI was based on was titled Super-Toys Last All Summer Long. It's certainly an intentional reference, but is it marketing for something else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-Toys_Last_All_Summer_Long

The Supertoy reference got me as well, but I doubt its anything more than that or even just a coincidence. I don't think that this is the trailhead or rabbit hole of some sort of sequel to "The Beast" ARG.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

neongrey posted:

Honestly this is kind of adorable. I love coming across these tiny, certainly intended to be mostly local projects.

I'd buy a calendar if I had money to spare right now. Some of these are incredibly cute:

Zaphod42 posted:

This is a loving Furby.

Asides from the false advertising, impossible promises and general scumbaggery, the worst thing is that the bear sounds like Peter Griffin. Even if these guys were wizards and could magically enhance an inanimate object with human intelligence and speech, I wouldn't buy one for that reason alone.

Some more awful kickstarters:

Twenties: The Series. It's a show about three guys in their twenties who are all roommates and do things together, and it's all very wacky and funny and one of them is a puppeteer because why the hell not. Things the lead actors actually say in the pitch video: "This is going to be epic. Right, and we are definitely relatable". "And if [the audience] is not yet in their twenties, it'll be like they're looking into a crystal ball". The entire pitch sounds wooden, stilted, and pretentious.

In the category 'enchantingly bad' we have Zombii Outbreak, a tower defense game slated to release for Wiiware (the original Wii, not the Wii U), Windows Phone 7.5 and 8. There's a strip club level, and not a single asset in the farm level isn't a piece of ill-fitting clip-art. A quote from the story: "He hacked the news station and present himself. Professor Livers Dies said I am going to turn everyone into zombies and rule the world and they will be my slaves. Professor Liver Dies don’t realize today was April Fools and everyone started to laugh at him!!!" The entire thing is a work of art, and I hope he can complete his work as envisioned.

Pay me 50,000 dollars to put QR codes on T-shirts. The most amazing thing about this project is that at least one other person on planet earth thinks this idea is worth 25 dollars.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

quote:

Imagine you are at a bar, your personal QR code is your private message. Maybe it says “Single” or “available” or “buy me a drink!” maybe it even has your phone number!?

Simply allow anyone to scan your chest and *BAM* Message delivered!

So you mean to tell me that my shirt can say things?

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Twenties: The Series. It's a show about three guys in their twenties who are all roommates and do things together, and it's all very wacky and funny and one of them is a puppeteer because why the hell not. Things the lead actors actually say in the pitch video: "This is going to be epic. Right, and we are definitely relatable". "And if [the audience] is not yet in their twenties, it'll be like they're looking into a crystal ball". The entire pitch sounds wooden, stilted, and pretentious.

In the category 'enchantingly bad' we have Zombii Outbreak, a tower defense game slated to release for Wiiware (the original Wii, not the Wii U), Windows Phone 7.5 and 8. There's a strip club level, and not a single asset in the farm level isn't a piece of ill-fitting clip-art. A quote from the story: "He hacked the news station and present himself. Professor Livers Dies said I am going to turn everyone into zombies and rule the world and they will be my slaves. Professor Liver Dies don’t realize today was April Fools and everyone started to laugh at him!!!" The entire thing is a work of art, and I hope he can complete his work as envisioned.

Pay me 50,000 dollars to put QR codes on T-shirts. The most amazing thing about this project is that at least one other person on planet earth thinks this idea is worth 25 dollars.

QR codes are absolutely terrible things.
Hey, the Twenties: The Series pitch video is 4:20 long, coincidence or just a striking example of the comedy the soon-to-be series will deliver? :catdrugs:

Also, I seriously hope that Zombii Outbreak gets funded.

I love this thread.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Zybourne Clock posted:

http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
The photography section of Kickstarter is a goldmine of lovely, half-baked ideas that mostly boil down to 'pay me to do my hobby'.

What if the Ninja Turtles were just ninjas? And also Chippendale dancers.
This guy wants to make a calendar of cheesecake pinup photos of people dressed like TMNT characters and it will apparently cost at least $5k despite the fact that he's already shot photos of the four turtle characters.

Pay me $20k to make a coffee table book of roller derby photos.
Predictably insufferable roller derby people talking about how 'logistics intensive' it's going to be to take photos of 30 girls on roller skates. Also, it costs $150 minimum to get the actual finished book.

Send me to Tokyo so I can take photos of the homeless.
Somehow this project will humanise the homeless and make people aware of their plight but the front cover of the book is literally a homeless guy trying to fight the photographer?
This is the second time this guy has tried to raise money for this project but he already seems to have a ton of photos that he's using in the pitch video and a pretty fleshed-out website so I'm not quite sure why he needs our money to take more photos. Looking at the pledge rewards, apparently he is going to turn the photos into an ebook which I'm sure is a great way of (a) showing off photos and (b) reaching a wide audience to illuminate your humanitarian quest.

I'm an established cosplay photographer. pay me to take photos of cosplayers.
This one is the most :effort: because he isn't even going to bother with a calendar or a coffee-table book. It's literally a kickstarter to cover expenses he incurs in his current job and if you pledge enough he'll send you a print of one of the photos he takes.

bonus round - Ugly Girls Zine
There's not a lot of information in this one but from reading between the lines it seems like they want to take photos of (fat) girls eating food as a way to subvert the dominant beauty paradigm. It makes the list for the unintentionally funny line:

quote:

If you donate, your money will go towards

1) Buying props (food) for the models and photoshoots

edit - I forgot to add with the zine project, she talks about needing to cover the cost of printing and having a printer lined up for the print run. Now, I don't know how many copies she's planning to print or what format but my friends and I used to print zines and we would just go to Kinko's and print an Adobe InDesign file off a thumb-drive at a cost of slightly less than a dollar per 12 page zine including full colour front and back covers so I think the idea that printing is going to be a huge slice of the cost pie graph is a bit disingenuous.

Also, reading over her pitch again it says she plans to 'disprove the myth that is "pretty girls don't eat" in the messiest way possible. Not only that, the photographs taken will question the meaning behind the phrase entirely' (bolding mine) which makes me think this is some kind of covert fetish project for people that get off on seeing girls smearing themselves with gooey things.

cyberia has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Jul 27, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

McNutty posted:

There isn't anything really wrong with honestly writing about your mental state and your perception as to why people you are attracted to ignore you, but the "I only date shitheads" trope is so loving old. Feel free to be paranoid and gross and sad (Joe Matt does this especially well in his graphic novel "Spent") but be interesting.

Of course there's no problem with writing about your mental state....but when it basically boils down to "I feel sad sometimes" that's not anything new or what people will pay money for.

cyberia posted:

bonus round - Ugly Girls Zine
There's not a lot of information in this one but from reading between the lines it seems like they want to take photos of (fat) girls eating food as a way to subvert the dominant beauty paradigm. It makes the list for the unintentionally funny line:

I really hate this trend where perfectly average or conventionally attractive white girls take a charged topic and try to profit from it. It's just going to be her and her friends using the money to eat out, take some lovely pictures with a friend's cellphone and post them as some sort of deep art project when it won't address anything except her ego. It'll just be more pats on the back for women who are already told they're pretty.

Like, this is supposed to be the woman doing all this amazing work around women who fall outside the normal boundaries of beauty. Ugh:

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Is that a big plastic container filled with legos? childhoods never die.

the Gaffe has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Jul 27, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cyberia posted:

Send me to Tokyo so I can take photos of the homeless.
Somehow this project will humanise the homeless and make people aware of their plight but the front cover of the book is literally a homeless guy trying to fight the photographer?
This is the second time this guy has tried to raise money for this project but he already seems to have a ton of photos that he's using in the pitch video and a pretty fleshed-out website so I'm not quite sure why he needs our money to take more photos. Looking at the pledge rewards, apparently he is going to turn the photos into an ebook which I'm sure is a great way of (a) showing off photos and (b) reaching a wide audience to illuminate your humanitarian quest.

You know there's perfectly good homeless people in America. I don't think that a homeless Japanese person is going to have that much a different insight on being homeless than a homeless American. Let's face it, the guy is a weaboo trying to fund a vacation to Japan.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Have you ever seen an anime? Those homeless looking guys with the long beards are full of wisdom. and martial arts.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OrganizedInsanity posted:

I do find it hilarious you can make something like that considering all you're getting is a doll probably rejected from the factory line for being too disproportionate and tacking a suit on it.

If this were a wacky feelgood movie the factory would think they had made a mistake and put faces on the faceless Slenderman dolls but then everything would turn out OK in the end because kids love Splendorman.

Elissia posted:

I have to say, as dumb as the Man-PACK is, I love when a product is marketed at men who are insecure about the size of their dick and threatened by the thought that a messenger bag might be called a PURSE OH GOD and is then successful. Maybe even more than when it's a failure.

Hold the loving phone, you mean that gun nuts are insecure?! :monocle:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Noni posted:

Those guys aren't British. Well one of them might be but if so he's spent some time away and his accent is off. I can assure you that Americans doing a regional British accent is far more grating. They throw words in without context because most of the British characters they have seen are amplified, eccentric characters who use a lot of weird idioms and conversational tics - see Doctor Who. Other cultures are usually better at emulating your speech because we've consumed a lot more of your media than you have ours.

My American friends tell me I just sound Canadian when I try to speak like them.

As for the bear it just looks like it's a bluetooth mouthpiece for a Siri clone, hooking into stuff like wolfram alpha to get answers for factual questions and such. Toys almost always try to give the impression that they can do way more than they actually can (without explicitly stating that of course). One of the few exceptions is Jaimie Mantzel's hexapod R/C robot kits, which were mentioned earlier in the thread:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1089105581/the-greatest-toy-kit-in-the-universe-spider-tank-m

ReelBigLizard has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Jul 27, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ReelBigLizard posted:

Those guys aren't British.

Karsten is German. Ashley lives in Wales presently, studied at Lancaster, but also studied in Japan. "Conlan" sounds Irish, though, so who knows?

quote:

Well one of them might be but if so he's spent some time away and his accent is off. I can assure you that Americans doing a regional British accent is far more grating. They throw words in without context because most of the British characters they have seen are amplified, eccentric characters who use a lot of weird idioms and conversational tics - see Doctor Who. Other cultures are usually better at emulating your speech because we've consumed a lot more of your media than you have ours.

You just don't know how bad your US accents sound. Australians are much better at US accents than UK actors, except for Idris Elba, whose US accents are perfect. Even very good UK actors like Emma Thompson are terrible at US accents. The people who try to do Americans on the BBC radio dramas are Dick-Van-Dyke-in-Mary-Poppins-bad.

US actors are universally terrible at UK accents also, of course.

In any case, the bear's accent is ridiculous.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Jul 27, 2013

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
If the way I go out is being shot shortly after a pistol is pulled from a MANPACK, well, I suppose I'm okay with that. In fact I wouldn't want to be murdered any other way.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

DancingPenguin posted:

QR codes are absolutely terrible things.

I agree that putting them on shirts is pretty silly, but why hate on QR codes? I hear a lot of people saying they're poo poo, but I've always liked the idea. I don't really scan them too often, but I think we're going to see them used in more interesting ways that benefit consumers in the future.

edit:

"Hey guys, everybody send me your headshots so I can make the most generic sitcom promo ever." Looks like they were pulled straight out of a Playbill.

particle409 has a new favorite as of 14:08 on Jul 27, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
one of those guys wishes he was in his "twenties"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

one of those guys wishes he was in his "twenties"

It worked for Glee?

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

particle409 posted:

"Hey guys, everybody send me your headshots so I can make the most generic sitcom promo ever." Looks like they were pulled straight out of a Playbill.

How long until the episode where one of these guys comes out to his parents? Obviously the lesbian sex one will be in episode 1 if they have any brains.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

cyberia posted:

I'm an established cosplay photographer. pay me to take photos of cosplayers.
This one is the most :effort: because he isn't even going to bother with a calendar or a coffee-table book. It's literally a kickstarter to cover expenses he incurs in his current job and if you pledge enough he'll send you a print of one of the photos he takes.

It's basically a less-ambitious clone of Anna Fischer's The Wild Places project. I'd bet he found that one and saw the dollar signs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

particle409 posted:

I agree that putting them on shirts is pretty silly, but why hate on QR codes? I hear a lot of people saying they're poo poo, but I've always liked the idea. I don't really scan them too often, but I think we're going to see them used in more interesting ways that benefit consumers in the future.

They don't really achieve anything that a URL doesn't, and a nice short URL can be remembered for later consumption if I don't have time to pull out my phone and scan the QR code.

For a t-shirt, they're entirely ridiculous. You're adding a layer of encryption to an otherwise open communication.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

particle409 posted:

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Presenting Legends of Dawn:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/522716131/legends-of-dawn

The Kickstarter itself isn't terrible, and the game actually looked decent. I didn't back it because, well, Kickstarter is like ninety percent vaporware, but the thing looked pretty good. They had a similar Steam Greenlight page as well. The community voted for it, it launched, and I bought it because I am a huge sucker for the narrow market of old-school-style mixed with open world games.

The game, however, is arguably broken and has seen a huge negative reaction. It garnered a whopping 2.8 from an IGN reviewer: http://www.ign.com/games/legends-of-dawn-153782/pc-14301792. Rather than fix problems (great), or even acknowledge problems (good), or ignore the review (weak, but at least professional), the developers chose to employ the time-honored method of a public meltdown.

Because that always ends well.

They cover all the bases:

"A Review or a Joke

During the development a few potential publishers expressed concerns regarding the cRPG genre and particularly how nowadays reviewers don't have willingness and sometimes required knowledge to dive in such complex titles which typically results in poor reviews regardless of the final score. Some even said that without detailed interactive tutorial which will take their hand through the game we are doomed, that is, unless we obey the rules of the capitalism. First they notice the game, in our case on Kickstarter and Steam, then we receive emails from marketing guys:

"Hi guys, we like your game, would you like a preview, review and to put a banner on our portal?"

"Sure, why not"

then the sobering emails would come back with banner prices that are far away from what we could even consider.

So if we are not paying customer maybe a little training-review is in order.

As our little story goes we were a few hours late with delivering keys at the release day and unfortunately several disappointed backers polarized the atmosphere on forums into haters and knights. Soon a few tens of haters generated hundreds of threads and almost anybody who'd share positive experience with LoD was under suspicious of LoD knighthood.

Thousands new players kept joining despite all those threads and great majority are being busy playing the game.

Sure, there will always be disappointed customers, and there will always be configurations struggling with a piece of software but in our case those a measured in per mills and we try to address the issues and bugs as much as we can with every patch delivering a few extra features requested on forums.

So OK, some tried to prepare us for media attacks but did we expect to receive the lowest mark ever given to any game?

Lowest mark it is, but is this a review? What do we really learn about the game from reading it?

A nice start being called names in the title itself.

Those who were following our forums will quickly recognize copy-pasted problems some of our users had and a very little original stuff;

"Combat is too slow to be anywhere near comparable to a Diablo."

Whoever spent some time playing LoD knows that game mechanics is far from Diablo as it is from COD or NFS.

In short these are not comparable games and we'll ignore the fact that he is comparing a $15.99/$19.99 title to the triple-A $50 blockbuster.

"When it's over and you need to recuperate, chowing down food or potions could help, but those ran out quickly."

We put custom levels at the beginning so there was always an option to configure it at super easy (baby-easy will not be added though).

"Health automatically regenerates with time, but there's no rest button, so I found that the often best thing to do in Legends Of Dawn is standing still."

There are a few ways to regenerate and we left them for players to discover [There are at least five different ways to regenerate health]. The worst way is to stand still but at least reviewer managed to find it out on his own.

The system of magic with sacrifices which many find interesting isn't mentioned. Crafting is mentioned but from the screenshots we see that the reviewer is at the very beginning so how could he figure out how this works. The game is not designed to craft a megablast-killeerreview sword within just minutes of playing. Most probably he is accustomed to kill everything and everybody at L1 but only if his computer doesn't melt down or a virus doesn't fry his display as he was probably told that some evil games do such things.

Anyway these are his experiences and despite the lack of proper explanation of how the game works somebody found this worth putting online.

Not much was invested in playing and reviewing the game (standard is to give scores separately for graphics, sound, music, gameplay etc) and the biggest effort went in finding complaints on forums to integrate into the so called review."

So we have:
* insulting the reviewer's intelligence
* claiming the reviewer didn't play the game
* claiming the reviewer plagiarized the review
* "you obviously need baby-easy because you're Bad At Games"
* handwaving away problems as non-existent OR the fault of the player
* "you're just not old-school enough"
* sniffily claiming that any game comparisons are unfair
* insinuating that the review is only bad because they didn't pay for ads

9/10 would melt down again

Hyzenth1ay has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Jul 27, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Wait so they didn't have a tutorial, or indeed any kind of information on some important game mechanics... And they think that's a good thing?

Good goddamn ~gamers~ are some dumb people.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AlbieQuirky posted:

You just don't know how bad your US accents sound. Australians are much better at US accents than UK actors, except for Idris Elba, whose US accents are perfect. Even very good UK actors like Emma Thompson are terrible at US accents. The people who try to do Americans on the BBC radio dramas are Dick-Van-Dyke-in-Mary-Poppins-bad.

US actors are universally terrible at UK accents also, of course.

In any case, the bear's accent is ridiculous.

Hugh Laurie's pretty good at doing an American accent. But yeah, there's a few exceptions, but mostly you're correct.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Wait so they didn't have a tutorial, or indeed any kind of information on some important game mechanics... And they think that's a good thing?

Good goddamn ~gamers~ are some dumb people.

Not to defend a lovely game, but Egoraptor does a good job of explaining why the modern pop up style tutorial is disliked by the gaming community.

John Videogames
Jun 11, 2007

This tree is going
up your butt.

Third guy on the bottom row is the most badass of them all. He's tackling two at the same time.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Egoraptor is the dude who refuses to even read the popup page of controls, then freaks out and dies endlessly in the first level while complaining it isn't like his old castlevania games. You should go watch the intro to the Dark Souls one where he spends at least 10 minutes trying to counter one of the first skeletons while complaining about controls if you really think he makes a good point.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Find out through play is fine, but as the video says you need pretty careful level design to teach the player how to make their abilities work. It can't just be trial and error, it has to be suggestion and necessity (for example, teaching you wall jumps by putting you in a pit with climbable walls and leading you towards them), and it sounds like the game being reviewed is firmly in the former camp. If there are five ways to regain your health, all of which work but some of which are just kinda lovely, you have to either directly tell the player or force them to discover each in turn by locking off the others in an organic way

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Egoraptor is the dude who refuses to even read the popup page of controls, then freaks out and dies endlessly in the first level while complaining it isn't like his old castlevania games. You should go watch the intro to the Dark Souls one where he spends at least 10 minutes trying to counter one of the first skeletons while complaining about controls if you really think he makes a good point.

Dark Souls is pretty loving terrible on the "intuitive game design" front though. It's a great game, but some of the design decisions make the quarter sucking arcade generation design look generous.

vvv: Pretty much. Sequelitis is pretty good for a youtube series if you can stomach him though.

Klaus Kinski has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Jul 27, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Are all of that guys videos him being painfully unfunny and screaming? I'm trying to power through this Megaman video because he might have something to say, but dear God this is awful.

I'm kind of sympathetic for the game designer, but here's the thing: if you're doing a Nethack-style old-school game, you have to say it's a Nethack-style game. "Old school" doesn't usually mean "trial and error for hours before you can figure out the mechanics" because the world has pretty much decided that's not so great. But Nethack is still fun, and the constant discovery and gotchas and all that is definitely part of it, so I'm open to that kind of game being better at allowing a certain type of play than a game that actually taught you e.g. that you can't take off cursed armor or that water rusts a sword or that eating a cockatrice is deadly. And that's great if LoD did that. It's awesome when you do something on an altar for the first time and start to figure out how they work.

But if you're gonna make a Nethack-style game, you have to be super clear that that is what you're doing. "Old school" means everything from Pac Man to Nethack to Final Fantasy to Doom to Mario, so you can't expect a reviewer to know that this is a gotcha-game. And of course you can't expect normal people that aren't playing throwbacks to 1987 computer games to enjoy them, either. If you're making a gotcha-game, you're just going to have to deal with the fact that most people don't like that kind of gameplay, because most people don't think that obsessively cataloging the mechanics of a video game is a practice that's worth their time.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Yes, the videos are all like that. They are also full of annoying jump cuts. Despite all this, the Megaman video actually does have some good content with concrete examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2117525416/supertoy-worlds-first-natural-talking-teddy-bear

:stare: This is the fakest poo poo I've ever seen.

First of all, my area of study in college was Artificial Intelligence, so I can tell you there's no way this is loving possible right now. Even IBM's Watson (A supercomputer with internet access which takes up an entire floor of a major building) can't respond NEARLY that well. We haven't solved natural language processing yet, and yet this loving teddy bear claims that it can provide detailed, syntactic, and situational conversation using nothing more than an iPhone?

:siren: SCAM ALERT. :siren:
Then since my Spidey senses were tingling I looked more closely at the video. OH HEY look, there's an edit cut after EVERY question:
She asks a question when you can hear an airplane going by. He answers clearly, no airplane.
She asks a question, her sleeves are rolled down (see the blue?) He answers, her sleeves are magically rolled up over her shoulders. HMM. :colbert:

And its not like they just forgot to mention it wasn't done yet and this was a mockup, she explicitly asks "Can you see me?" and he responds "Not right now" which implies everything else happening right now is real, but it absolutely is not. :bang:
These guys know what they're doing. They got a little girl to do the pitch video to try to obfuscate it; hoping people would be too busy going "awww" to notice how BS this is. :argh:

:laffo: So this AI is smart enough to hold a conversation and can dictate the internet to you, while filtering out inappropriate content for children? And it can tell the difference between kids and adults, and can not only fool kids, but can pass the loving Turing Test with adults? No way in hell.

This is a loving Furby. And its masquerading as C3PO.

Hey, the British government already has the ability to filter out porn from the internet, who knows what other space age wizardry they have up their sleeves