Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Eureka 7 AO actually has a lot of the themes I think of when I think of X-Men. You should probably watch the original first. But yeah, its a show about special people with powers that are feared and overall deals with a lot of the racial problems endemic in modern Japan (much like how X-Men has been not so secretly about Racism/being gay over the years).

Going against this recommendation: that show is terrible. It takes everything good about E7, throws it out the window, pisses on it, replaces the window with a beautiful painting, does its own thing with random elements of the original, then wrecks it all with a horrible storyline.

I thought it was amazing for the first half of the show, but I ended it believing it was one of the most shameful shows I'd ever watched. Bones singlehandedly ruined their own masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Geek U.S.A. posted:

So last month in my quest to find another Japanese X-Men show like Darker than Black I ended up watching some of A Certain Scientific Railgun, and it was one of the worst things I've watched in years. Disgusting show with silly writing. Are there any other good shows inspired by the X-Men or is it pretty much just DtB and its OVA?

There's The Unlimited, but it's a spinoff of something you might find more offensive than Railgun.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

I'll second this even though I found the plot a bit overly cliched for something that otherwise takes itself pretty seriously.

This would be a problem if it didn't use the cliches so very very well. Never underestimate the power of a cute dog and a cute kid for creating understandable character motivation.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Sakurazuka posted:

Try Sword of the Stranger, it probably has the best animated fight scenes in anything, ever.

Ooh, this looks good. Reminds me of Moribito somewhat.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's worth noting if you don't give a poo poo about e7, ao is pretty okay.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DamnGlitch posted:

No, it's pretty terrible on every level. It's a disjointed mess of a story with nothing to recommend it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Its only redeeming quality is its production values. It looked pretty good. But at the end of the day the plot ends up as convoluted nonsense. Basically AO is Bones proving that they can't make a time travel premise work.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

DamnGlitch posted:

I think it's still pretty bad. It has great music though so it's okay to watch it for seeing some of the action music in context!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I watched the first 20 minutes of the first episode of Katanagatari and shut it off due to the Tim Buckley-level shitton of :words: and exposition. I don't mind extended dialogue scenes, or exposition to cover a lot of world-building, but the scene where I just gave up was a ten-minute-plus exposition dump that could have been covered in an opening narration, or given some flashback scenes for just the slightest bit of visual flair, but instead was just three characters talking back and forth while the same couple of shots were repeated.

Does this show continue to pull stuff like this or does it actually become engaging?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

I watched the first 20 minutes of the first episode of Katanagatari and shut it off due to the Tim Buckley-level shitton of :words: and exposition. I don't mind extended dialogue scenes, or exposition to cover a lot of world-building, but the scene where I just gave up was a ten-minute-plus exposition dump that could have been covered in an opening narration, or given some flashback scenes for just the slightest bit of visual flair, but instead was just three characters talking back and forth while the same couple of shots were repeated.

Does this show continue to pull stuff like this or does it actually become engaging?

I've only watched the first episode so far, but I didn't think it was that terrible. It only got annoying when the ninja dude wouldn't shut the gently caress up with his gloating, but other than that even the wordy dialog was mildly entertaining. The one fight scene at the end of the episode was really good, enough to offset a good deal of the wordiness of the show.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Katanagatari can get kind of of wordy sometimes I suppose, it never was a problem for me though. :shrug: Plus sometimes it looks really, really cool.

I really liked it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Katanagatari is like all the other -gatari shows (I assume, I only actually watched Bake) in that it's incredibly wordy. That's kind of the point.

That said, I really enjoyed it, and if I remember right it basically gets better every episode for the first couple of episodes.

e: Man, I don't remember that second GIF at all. Maybe I'm due for a rewatch?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've watched Bakemonogatari and while it did have a lot of dialog it was pretty much always either relevant or interesting. In Katanagatari it sometimes feels superfluous and uninteresting, and other times its only mildly entertaining with the occasionally amazing conversation.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Katanagatari is a NisioIsin story and the man sure loves his inane dialogue. That said, the last 4 or so episodes of Katanagatari might just be some of the most crazy-awesome poo poo ever committed to animation.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

ViggyNash posted:

In Katanagatari [dialogue] sometimes feels superfluous and uninteresting
This is part of what did me in. They mentioned that the father has been dead for a year, and that the brother and sister had been living on the island for twenty years at least three times each in the first ten minutes, and that was before the real exposition dump.

Redcrimson posted:

[…]the last 4 or so episodes of Katanagatari might just be some of the most crazy-awesome poo poo ever committed to animation.
Much as I love awesome animation, I may give it a second chance then.

In the meantime, any good shows like "Working!!" or "Servant x Service" out there, where character interaction is what makes the piece really click, and its preferably not set in a high school?

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 27, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Robert Denby posted:

This is part of what did me in. They mentioned that the father has been dead for a year, and that the brother and sister had been living on the island for twenty years at least three times each in the first ten minutes, and that was before the real exposition dump.

Much as I love awesome animation, I may give it a second chance then.

In the meantime, any good shows like "Working!!" or "Servant x Service" out there, where character interaction is what makes the piece really click, and its preferably not set in a high school?

Time of Eve would probably suit you. Two of the characters are highschool students, but the show has almost nothing to do with that fact.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SSNeoman posted:

If you're okay with nudity, you can try Yutaka Tanaka's work. His work tends takes some time to get going, but once it does it's pretty good.

His manga are wonderful because
a) He does loving amazing art. He uses minimalism to absolutely brilliant effect. The dude once made a completely black page tense as hell.
b) His characters do not act like morons who Cannot Spit It Out. His work in fact shows why this trope is stupid and why, shocker, communication is necessary for a good relationship.

I finally got around to this on my list of suggestions and I am assuming the all-black page you are talking about is in chapter 23 of Ai-Ren? Because yeah, that was definitely a pretty tense moment. Reminded me of The Grudge.

Ai-Ren reminds me of Mahoromatic something fierce in a lot of ways so far(though with way less fanservice). Seems they both started coming out the same year(1999), as well. Was there a bunch of series like that around that time? The whole "protagonist who is dying but wants to spend their final days with a loved one, also there's crazy bullshit alien technology/it's the future/even with this ultra-advanced science we can't halt the death timer etc"

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 27, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Welp, gently caress it. Most posts in this thread are people asking for recommendations. But here's a post recommending one to you. Go read Ai-Ren. It can get a little overly philosophical/preachy and some of the subplot stuff sometimes comes across as pretty hamfisted, but I really wasn't expecting it as a whole to affect me that much. I got gut-punched a surprising amount of times, and definitely didn't finish the series without a few good cries. And yet, the ending wasn't actually all that sad. I'm genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it, the first few chapters I wasn't entirely convinced, but eventually became attached to Ikuru and Ai, and the completely hosed world they lived in. It is a happy, sad, hopeful, and oftentimes brutal series that focuses largely on coming to terms with the reality of death, acceptance, and humanity. I'm actually a bit surprised it's never been localized considering the usual drek that does.

Also, it probably affected me more because I happened to have the Aquaria OST playing on loop in the background, and some appropriate tracks played at just the right time.

Thanks, dude who recommended it to me. It probably wasn't the best thing for me to read at this point in time all things considered, but by the end of it I'd gotten some good hard cries in and while really sad, it is also a very happy series at the same time. I heartily recommend it. It struck a few personal chords and I enjoyed it a lot. I was very impressed, I was absolutely not expecting to get so invested in it, though my eyes tended to glaze over whenever they started digging hard into the spiritual talk.

edit: the scanlation can get kinda iffy at times.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 27, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cake Attack posted:

e: Man, I don't remember that second GIF at all. Maybe I'm due for a rewatch?

I don't know for sure, but I bet it's from one of the episode previews. Which were worth watching, there are some pretty decent gags in there (like the one that spends the entire preview building up their next enemy, who then never appears in the show and is defeated off-screen) but I think I skipped a few myself before I realized that.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Thanks for all the recommendations! Interestingly enough while reading about how bad E7:AO is I accidentally spoiled myself and now am sort of intrigued at the time travel which ViggyNash mentioned. I did watch E7 many years ago and I can't really figure out what time travel has to do with that universe.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations! Interestingly enough while reading about how bad E7:AO is I accidentally spoiled myself and now am sort of intrigued at the time travel which ViggyNash mentioned. I did watch E7 many years ago and I can't really figure out what time travel has to do with that universe.

If you've already watched E7, then you'll hate AO even more than if you didnt. The time travel premise feels mostly shoehorned in though they did at least attempt to give it some kind of explanation based on the original show, but at the e d of the day AO is a bastardization of everything good in E7.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

While it is set in high school, the characters and their interaction is a large part of what makes Chihayafuru so great. (The other parts are: fantastic animation, direction, music, writing and voice work)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

a kitten posted:

While it is set in high school, the characters and their interaction is a large part of what makes Chihayafuru so great. (The other parts are: fantastic animation, direction, music, writing and voice work)

I will second this recommendation. Chihayafuru is a high-school show that doesn't feel stale because everything just clicks incredibly well.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Also they really don't spend much time in high school at all, especially in the second season.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I was just wondering about Chihayafuru, since it comes up a lot on this forum and I stumbled into a monthlong Crunchyroll trial somehow. I'm a bit daunted by the volume of it- should I be expecting something fairly serious (which would honestly be pretty new to me as far as anime goes, though there were parts of the Usagi Drop anime, which I enjoyed, that didn't feel like comedy at all) or something character-driven but still whimsical like Working!! or The Devil is a Part-Timer?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
At its core its a sports drama, but there plenty of comedy sprinkled throughout. There's never too much drama and the comedy never overshadows the drama. Its a great lighthearted mix.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

I was just wondering about Chihayafuru, since it comes up a lot on this forum and I stumbled into a monthlong Crunchyroll trial somehow. I'm a bit daunted by the volume of it- should I be expecting something fairly serious (which would honestly be pretty new to me as far as anime goes, though there were parts of the Usagi Drop anime, which I enjoyed, that didn't feel like comedy at all) or something character-driven but still whimsical like Working!! or The Devil is a Part-Timer?

It's a sports anime, don't expect anything too serious.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Geek U.S.A. posted:

It doesn't, really.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Recently I've been watching a lot of Speed Racer, Lupin III and Astro Boy. Any other recommendations of 50's/60's/70's/really old anime/manga or at least stuff like that?

Edit: How is Sally the Witch? Still charming or archaic?

Edit 2: I watched Sally the Witch. It's still charming and surprisingly hilarious. Reminds me of classic Warner Brothers cartoons. Also, Sally's dad is Satan possibly? Gets a pass by me.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 28, 2013

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The thing with anime from that time period is there's not that much translated so people's options are kind of limited. However there are some greats that have been translated.

Cutey Honey being one of them. Honey is one of Go Nagai's most enduring characters and the original series has a lot of fun characters, exciting action and some seriously trippy visuals. Honey spends her days at school and her nights tracking down the thieves who killed her father.

Space Battleship Yamato possibly started sci-fi anime as we know it. The earth will be a dead in a year from alien attack but there's hope that the Yamato and her crew can travel to the planet Iscandar and back with a way to save everyone before time is up. They may be remaking the show with a glossy new coat of paint but the original endures as one of the best anime ever made.

Future Boy Conan's influence on Ghibli and anime in general is still felt to this day. Years after a great catastrophe leaves the earth in ruins Conan lives on an island with his grandfather, one day a young girl washes ashore; she's the first person he has ever met and changes his life forever. Miyazaki's first and only full TV series Conan is great fun.

Space Pirate Captain Harlock would be worth watching if only for Captain Harlock's swagger but thankfully the show has a lot more going for it. Sailing the sea of stars Harlock and the crew of the Arcadia live lives of free men in an age of sloth and decadence all while fighting to protect the Earth that vilifies them.

If Yamato was the origin of sci-fi anime Mobile Suit Gundam took that and molded it and refined it. War is hell and Gundam was meant to make sure a generation of Japanese children knew that. First Gundam was a ground breaking piece of entertainment that spawned an megafranchise still going to this day. A young Amuro Ray climbs into the Federation's newest weapon just to survive an attack from Zeon forces on his home colony and is conscripted to fight in a war he never asked for. Gundam explores revenge, PTSD, the horrors of war, the grey uncertainty of it all and where humanity is headed. People give first gundam crap having a low budget but there are parts of it that look better than most of what you'd see today. If you can't take what's in between there's three compilation movies you could watch instead. Personally I think the series tells the story better.

Rose of Versailles is a good show when Nagahama is directing but when Osamu Dezaki takes over it just gets this unbelievable flare to it that gives the show a life of its own. Oscar Francois de Jarjeyes is assigned to protected Marie Antoinette in the french court and the rest is history. Love, drama, scandal and intrigue all with the a backdrop of the waning French Empire and Revolution to come. There's more but you should really watch for yourself.

The more I write the more shows I think of like Gatchaman, Aim for the Ace, Genshi Shounen Ryu, Zambot 3, Daitarn 3, Triton of the Sea, Yamato 2, Devilman, Combattler/Voltes V and Galactic Express 999. Then there's the shows that are in the process of being subbed like Casshern, Hurrican Polymar, Tomorrow's Joe, Sabu to Ichi, Starzinger and the original Cyborg 009. It'd take me all day.

Just a couple quick things on manga. Comixology has a bunch of Ishinormori stuff to check out. For more early manga take a look at Happy Scans. Go Nagai's Devilman, Black Lion and Gakuen Taikutsu Otoko are fully translated and great reads. Also translated is Yokoyama Mitsuteru's(Tetsujin 28/Giant Robo) incredibly sad masterpiece Mars.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Although more modern than Speed Racer and such, I recommend the movie Urusei Yatsura: Only You if you haven't already watched it. It's a really fun 80s romantic comedy with beautiful and trippy visuals, some seriously dark themes and memorable characters. This is the only material from the Urusei Yatsura world that I am familiar with, so you definitely don't need previous knowledge of the setting to enjoy this. I watched this movie on a whim and it ended up being one of my top favorite anime movies. I don't even know how it stacks up against the rest of the series but the visuals, themes and the music just come together really well to create a very memorable old school experience.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Welp, gently caress it. Most posts in this thread are people asking for recommendations. But here's a post recommending one to you. Go read Ai-Ren.

Thanks for recommending this, I really enjoyed it. It hit me a lot harder then I thought it would.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The next ADTRW Simulwatchathon starts tomorrow!

There's still time to download the first two episodes and join us.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cake Attack posted:

Thanks for recommending this, I really enjoyed it. It hit me a lot harder then I thought it would.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever cried reading a manga before, but by the end of Ai-Ren I was a red-eyed, sobbing mess. Unfortunately it seems almost everything else he makes is porn, which is a shame considering how good Ai-Ren is. The only other translated thing of his is Itoshi No Kana which, provided sex doesn't bother you(and there's wayyyyyy more of it than Ai-Ren), it's a nice palate cleanser after the significant downer that is Ai-Ren. If you skip the porn, it's a nice yang to Ai-Ren's yin, since it's super duper happy almost at all times. Though I don't mind sex in a series - Ai-Ren has a bunch and is still amazing - some parts of INK are almost nothing but, oftentimes feeling like there's multiple chapter spans of normal stuff and then he has to meet a sex quota or something and just makes an entire chapter of ghost bonin'. The premise is kinda hosed though it's barely a subplot most of the time.

Or you could read Sekitou Elegy which is just awesome. I got to it on my to-read list and it's outstanding, a shame it's not fully translated, but it's both adorable and really loving funny at times. The protagonists are a spineless chump of a man and a rude, crude, fightin' girl. They're both blue-collar workers, no high school hijinks here. Also, everyone is a total rear end in a top hat and have faces and mouths like if you took your hands and mushed the sides of your face inwards.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 29, 2013

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How is the Vertical translation of Black Jack? I'm thinking about getting it.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Vertical's translations are some of the best you will find, and you won't have any complaints unless you sit them side-by-side to the original and complain about honorifics or whatever.

The Black Jack release is great (paper quality, covers, size) and it's very quickly going out of print. There's already 2 to 3 that are unavailable and crazy expensive, so if you think you'll ever want it, buy it now.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Are Kino's Journey , Gunslinger Girl, and Vampire Hunter D worth the watch?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever cried reading a manga before, but by the end of Ai-Ren I was a red-eyed, sobbing mess. Unfortunately it seems almost everything else he makes is porn, which is a shame considering how good Ai-Ren is. The only other translated thing of his is Itoshi No Kana which, provided sex doesn't bother you(and there's wayyyyyy more of it than Ai-Ren), it's a nice palate cleanser after the significant downer that is Ai-Ren.

Haha, "hit me a lot harder then I thought it would" was basically my internet tough guy way of saying I was a teary-eyed mess at the end of it too.

I actually read Kana right after I finished Ai-ren. It didn't really have much substance, but it was light and enjoyable enough, especially since it's a quick read. Basically I feel the same way about it you do.

I've got an hour or so to kill before I go to dinner, so I'm starting on Sekitou Elergy now.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

RebBrownies posted:

Are Kino's Journey , Gunslinger Girl, and Vampire Hunter D worth the watch?

Haven't seen, yes (definitely to season 1, season 2 depends on if you can look past the simplified art style), haven't seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'd say read the manga of Gunslinger Girl, since it wasn't adapted in its entirety. The anime doesn't end mid-arc or anything, but it does just kind of end with insufficient fanfare.

• Locked thread