Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME
Don't give caberham any biltong. It has the same effect as Spinach on Popeye. Except he turns into Kurt Darren.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzM3Mjg5NTUy.html?s=778625

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
How do you get to the bus to Hong Kong from the Shenzhen train station? How much does the bus cost to Hong Kong for foreigners, is it round trip?

Thanks!

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Cuatal posted:

How do you get to the bus to Hong Kong from the Shenzhen train station? How much does the bus cost to Hong Kong for foreigners, is it round trip?

Thanks!

If you mean the train station in Luohu then the subway itself goes straight from there to Hong Kong. No bus needed.

Also I can confirm that Audible works fine, with or without a VPN.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cuatal posted:

Thanks!

If you're going somewhere in Hong Kong that isn't well served by the MTR or you would have to take a roundabout route with lots of transfers, another good strategy is to ride the MTR to Sheung Shui and look for a bus there. There's a lot of buses just outside the MTR station there.

Normally when people are talking about taking a bus, they're talking about crossing at the Huanggang (or Shenzhen Bay) crossings, which are not served by the MTR but there are a number of ~50 HKD buses that will take you to Central or Mong Kok or wherever. Also both of those crossings have some city buses that are generally cheaper but range in price more depending on where you're going (around 10-40 hkd for most destinations, iirc. These are useful especially if you just want to take a quick bus to the nearest MTR station, or to the airport because taking the MTR from Shenzhen to the Hong Kong airport sucks). Oh and also none of them are round trip as far as I know.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

My interview is tomorrow morning - have you got any tips or advice or cultural insight into how I should behave if there is anything particular if my interviewer is Chinese?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

My interview is tomorrow morning - have you got any tips or advice or cultural insight into how I should behave if there is anything particular if my interviewer is Chinese?

Crack jokes about how tiny Japanese people are.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Talking poo poo about Japanese is similar to ANC brownie points. A safer professional response is your eagerness for team work and doing lots of free overtime

Anyways bring me bilton. I never knew how it was spelt, my old room mate was from jo berg and brought me lots of it. :sun:

Man I want to go to south Africa one day.

Cuatal posted:

Thanks!

Aiya read the OP. Merm jert pretty much listed everything. As for prices they go from 50~ 75 depending if you are crossing over to hk island or not. Round trip costs about 150%.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Bring a box of Marlboro Reds and a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black. Job is yours.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~
Have any of ya'll had success with part-time work, either getting it or hiring someone for it? (I don't mean tutoring in the evenings for cash, I mean actually having a contract for added employment.)

My university is trying desperately to find someone to cover 12 hours of classes a week at 2000 a week, and we can't find anyone. It comes with a visa, an apartment, utilities, round-trip air, insurance, travel allowance, blah blah etc. If you already have those things, then they cash them out to you and you can walk away with the fair amount of money. But no one wants it, because the hours are low (no office hours, legit you only need to be at the one school 12 hours a week, normally two-three hours in a block) and as such the pay is kinda crap. It looks like it's perfect for somebody over here studying or looking to have an uber lazy Asia adventure, but it's in Quzhou.

I'm not posting this here to advertise (getting someone isn't my job), but because the girl in charge of the flesh search is all in a tizzy and keeps asking me for help. I really don't know what they can add to a contract to make someone want to do this.

edit: apparently it's 8000rmb a month if you're experienced, 7 if not. wtf office

FearCotton fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 25, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

FearCotton posted:

Have any of ya'll had success with part-time work, either getting it or hiring someone for it? (I don't mean tutoring in the evenings for cash, I mean actually having a contract for added employment.)

My university is trying desperately to find someone to cover 12 hours of classes a week at 2000 a week, and we can't find anyone. It comes with a visa, an apartment, utilities, round-trip air, insurance, travel allowance, blah blah etc. If you already have those things, then they cash them out to you and you can walk away with the fair amount of money. But no one wants it, because the hours are low (no office hours, legit you only need to be at the one school 12 hours a week, normally two-three hours in a block) and as such the pay is kinda crap. It looks like it's perfect for somebody over here studying or looking to have an uber lazy Asia adventure, but it's in Quzhou.

I'm not posting this here to advertise (getting someone isn't my job), but because the girl in charge of the flesh search is all in a tizzy and keeps asking me for help. I really don't know what they can add to a contract to make someone want to do this.

Where is it and what are the hours? I'm up for a part time gig if it's doable for me.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

Where is it and what are the hours? I'm up for a part time gig if it's doable for me.

Quzhou, right in the city center. We're making the class schedule now, and if all goes according to plan it would be a) 3 classes a day Monday-Saturday back-to-back at 40 minutes a class, or b) 4 classes Monday-Wednesday-Friday and 3 Tuesday-Thursday, also back-to-back. It would be the exact same group of kids every day, with a classroom size of under 30 and a tested-in Intermediate level (though it's China, so there's going to be at least two who somehow paid their way in, I assume). 6 classes would be Speaking and Listening, 6 would be Culture, and 6 would be Reading and Writing. If we do go with the 4-4-4 schedule, I'm thinking about doing a Speaking block so the kids can have more group time. No awful general classes, thank Jesus. If you want more info you can PM me or BlinkyZero.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Wait, does this mean that in China 40/45/50 minute classes don't equal 1 hour? You guys work more than I thought you do, or rather I work less. A few places in Korea do it that weird way, that's how I got stuck teaching 40 classes when I only actually taught 30 hours. Sneaky Christian bastards.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What are the coolest cities or tourist attractions within a 5 hour train ride of Beijing, like worth going to for a couple of days? I've been to Qingdao and Shenyang, and the wife says Dalian sucks.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

DontAskKant posted:

Wait, does this mean that in China 40/45/50 minute classes don't equal 1 hour? You guys work more than I thought you do, or rather I work less. A few places in Korea do it that weird way, that's how I got stuck teaching 40 classes when I only actually taught 30 hours. Sneaky Christian bastards.

Nah they bill it as "one hour" class, but you only teach 40 minutes; 12 hours total a week actual teaching. You get paid for your entire teaching time on campus so you don't stand around during eye exercises wondering what fresh, unpaid hell you wandered into.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DontAskKant posted:

That's balls, you shouldn't even be teaching 30 hours a week much less 40 classes packed into 30 hours. I think the worst part of this education boom is the huge number of managers with no idea how teaching works. You can't schedule 30 hours of class in a week without having a 50-60 hour workweek or just throwing quality out the window.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

That's balls, you shouldn't even be teaching 30 hours a week much less 40 classes packed into 30 hours. I think the worst part of this education boom is the huge number of managers with no idea how teaching works. You can't schedule 30 hours of class in a week without having a 50-60 hour workweek or just throwing quality out the window.

Yeah, that's insane. The only reason why I haven't gone crazy is that the schedule person here actually is a PhD with a history of teaching. Even so, we don't get paid for our classroom planning time--we don't have mandatory office hours--and the average Chinese admin doesn't seem to understand that "walk into class, read book, leave" is not appropriate or affective classroom management.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Bloodnose posted:

There are like a billion HK goons and we're all friendly and awesome, but I'm volunteering first.

Sweet, I'll shoot you a pm.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Shanghai goons, what is Jing'an like, as a place to live? I'll be working close to the Changping rd metro and wondered if it's a good place to stay, or if it's better to commute into the area rather than actually live there?

Any decent apartment rental websites you can recommend? I'm pretty set on getting a place with a pool... Any idea what I should expect to pay, just ballpark?

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

VideoTapir posted:

What are the coolest cities or tourist attractions within a 5 hour train ride of Beijing, like worth going to for a couple of days? I've been to Qingdao and Shenyang, and the wife says Dalian sucks.

Dalian is a great place. The Zoo and Ocean park are good fun and it is very clean and well kempt, in comparison to Beijing anyway. The vibe of the place is really laid back, and the architecture and layout of the City make it feel very European. If it wasn't for the crap winters and the smog being blown over the bay from Beijing I would definitely look at moving there.

However it takes about 13 hours to get there by train, much simpler to jump on the plane for an hour. What is your wife's reasoning for why it sucks?

Shanghai is less than 5 hrs away on the train, though it's cheaper to fly.

To be honest I don't think there is too much within a 5 hr train ride of Beijing, unless you are taking the high speed. With the cost of the high speed you are better off flying and opening up the possibility of being somewhere cool and interesting within three hours.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Big Alf posted:

However it takes about 13 hours to get there by train, much simpler to jump on the plane for an hour. What is your wife's reasoning for why it sucks?

She thinks the people are assholes, so does her sister who just finished going to school there.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks for all the replies guys. Have you had our heard of people's kindles or hard drive content's being checked upon entry to the country? I am thinking of stocking up on all media I could want on my devices before arriving...

Tip: take your hard drives as carry ons.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

You can always come to Tianjin and watch TWM get drunk.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I've been here three weeks and I think I might be the greenest China goon. I had a bit of trouble remembering which apartment was mine for the second time, before some woman who I guess saw me coming home earlier pointed it out.

I'm in Shijiazhuang, add me to the OP if you want. Yes, the pollution is indeed pretty bad here.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I'm taking the train from Chengdu to Guangzhou this weekend. What's cool to do in Guangdong? Like not-Guangzhou Guangdong?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

Tom Smykowski posted:

I'm taking the train from Chengdu to Guangzhou this weekend. What's cool to do in Guangdong? Like not-Guangzhou Guangdong?

I can only speak for Foshan, but if you like Guangzhou but don't want the selection, quality or relatively clean air of Guangzhou, check out Foshan!

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

goldboilermark posted:

You can always come to Tianjin and watch TWM get drunk.

If you get me really drunk I'll be all up over you. Kissing you all over like on your bum or weiner or whatever.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

One job was teaching 45 classes at 50 minutes each. Yeah even in the public schools, quality is a joke.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

DontAskKant posted:

One job was teaching 45 classes at 50 minutes each. Yeah even in the public schools, quality is a joke.

For the last 10 or 15 of those you're drooling and gibbering like an idiot, right?

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

New Coke posted:

I've been here three weeks and I think I might be the greenest China goon. I had a bit of trouble remembering which apartment was mine for the second time, before some woman who I guess saw me coming home earlier pointed it out.

I'm in Shijiazhuang, add me to the OP if you want. Yes, the pollution is indeed pretty bad here.

Shijiazhuang :negative:

We get a lot of our 'local' staff from a training college there.

God it's grim. Good luck!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Tom Smykowski posted:

There's a bunch of knife factories that sell novelty swords and some beaches in Yangjiang. I also saw a naked man with matted hair walking through the city. There's a lake that people seem to really like in Heyuan, but it didn't seem all that special to me. You can go "hiking" around it, or pay like 5 rmb or something to have a golf cart drive you around it instead! If you really wanna see some poverty and violent crime, Maoming is supposedly the place to be. Zhanjiang is cool because they're close to Hainan and Guangxi if you wanna "get out" of Guangdong for a while. Dongguan is famous for its prostitution and also I know a ridiculously tall Englishman that just opened a New Orleans themed bar there. A lot of people really like Zhuhai for some reason but I don't know why because I haven't been there. But I think they have a bar run by a white guy that brews his own beer and sells it at the bar, but I hear it's not very good anyway. The Chaoshan region in eastern Guangdong is where you should go if you want to find a hard working wife that will cook you light, fresh tasting seafood dishes while speaking an incomprehensible moon language. Shenzhen is "cool" and "modern" and "close to Hong Kong." There you can even see a fake Eiffel Tower or go on a safari at some of the many amusement parks in the city. It also has tons of expensive golf courses, if that's your thing! Nobody actually lives in or goes to northwestern Guangdong. Attractions in Shaoguan begin and end at the high speed rail line that can quickly take you out of it (or out of Guangdong entirely!)

That about sums it up, enjoy your trip to non-Guangzhou Guangdong.

Why are you avoiding Guangzhou anyway? It's a pretty cool place.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

For the last 10 or 15 of those you're drooling and gibbering like an idiot, right?

It's not so bad it's just a middle class kindie (I mean who doesn't want to teach little kids of parents who come from poverty but are in a social circle enough to be bluntly and aggressively ambitious without the training) and young elementary school. You're cool with taking home grading and planning and reports right? Even interviewing for that job exhausted me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just did something genuinely stupid. I bought a grey market Samsung Galaxy S4 from "foreign" (from the plug looks like Korea) for Y3760 but the catch is it's GSM only. I promptly went down to the China Telecom place to get it set up and was told their 3G network is CDMA only and I can't get the broadband-3G package deal that I was planning to. So I laid down $600 on a brand new non-3G phone.

The lesson here: don't trust random coworker whose old gaming buddy works at a cell phone store. Trust caberham. I'm going to play around with it and see how much the roaming internet costs but if the service sucks I will likely end up dropping another $300 on the Xiaomi caberham recommended. The Galaxy S4 is a sunk cost. :( The only consolation is the grey market Galaxy S4 and the Xiaomi phone together will end up costing the same amount as a full-price Galaxy S4.

Oh well now I have a really nice phone... for when I'm in the states. One more motivation to get that master's degree. :sigh:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 26, 2013

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

MeramJert posted:

There's a bunch of knife factories that sell novelty swords and some beaches in Yangjiang. I also saw a naked man with matted hair walking through the city. There's a lake that people seem to really like in Heyuan, but it didn't seem all that special to me. You can go "hiking" around it, or pay like 5 rmb or something to have a golf cart drive you around it instead! If you really wanna see some poverty and violent crime, Maoming is supposedly the place to be. Zhanjiang is cool because they're close to Hainan and Guangxi if you wanna "get out" of Guangdong for a while. Dongguan is famous for its prostitution and also I know a ridiculously tall Englishman that just opened a New Orleans themed bar there. A lot of people really like Zhuhai for some reason but I don't know why because I haven't been there. But I think they have a bar run by a white guy that brews his own beer and sells it at the bar, but I hear it's not very good anyway. The Chaoshan region in eastern Guangdong is where you should go if you want to find a hard working wife that will cook you light, fresh tasting seafood dishes while speaking an incomprehensible moon language. Shenzhen is "cool" and "modern" and "close to Hong Kong." There you can even see a fake Eiffel Tower or go on a safari at some of the many amusement parks in the city. It also has tons of expensive golf courses, if that's your thing! Nobody actually lives in or goes to northwestern Guangdong. Attractions in Shaoguan begin and end at the high speed rail line that can quickly take you out of it (or out of Guangdong entirely!)

That about sums it up, enjoy your trip to non-Guangzhou Guangdong.

Why are you avoiding Guangzhou anyway? It's a pretty cool place.
Knives and hookers and wives and seafood. Yes.

I've been to Guangzhou a few times, figured it'd be good to trek out a bit.

That sucks, where'd you go? TaishanNan Lu or whatever by Chunxi lu?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tom Smykowski posted:

That sucks, where'd you go? TaishanNan Lu or whatever by Chunxi lu?

Yup. Helpful people, you are on notice! :argh:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I just did something genuinely stupid. I bought a grey market Samsung Galaxy S4 from "foreign" (from the plug looks like Korea) for Y3760 but the catch is it's GSM only. I promptly went down to the China Telecom place to get it set up and was told their 3G network is CDMA only and I can't get the broadband-3G package deal that I was planning to. So I laid down $600 on a brand new non-3G phone.

The lesson here: don't trust random coworker whose old gaming buddy works at a cell phone store. Trust caberham. I'm going to play around with it and see how much the roaming internet costs but if the service sucks I will likely end up dropping another $300 on the Xiaomi caberham recommended. The Galaxy S4 is a sunk cost. :( The only consolation is the grey market Galaxy S4 and the Xiaomi phone together will end up costing the same amount as a full-price Galaxy S4.

Oh well now I have a really nice phone... for when I'm in the states. One more motivation to get that master's degree. :sigh:

Just use Unicom, they have way better 3G anyway.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm aware of this possibility and I'll check them out tomorrow; originally I had discounted them because they haven't rolled out their fiber in my area yet so I can't get internet+phone through them. Two fiber networks, holy poo poo is fiber not a natural monopoly? :psyduck:

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Big Alf posted:

Shijiazhuang :negative:

We get a lot of our 'local' staff from a training college there.

God it's grim. Good luck!

Haha yeah, I always like asking the locals about things to see in Shijiazhuang, because I always get some kind of really evasive response followed by "...but Beijing is only an hour and a half by high speed train!"

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

BadAstronaut posted:

Shanghai goons, what is Jing'an like, as a place to live? I'll be working close to the Changping rd metro and wondered if it's a good place to stay, or if it's better to commute into the area rather than actually live there?

Any decent apartment rental websites you can recommend? I'm pretty set on getting a place with a pool... Any idea what I should expect to pay, just ballpark?

So congrats you are moving to China?

Jingan isn't bad but why the pool condition? That seems like it will be needlessly restrictive but maybe it's been too long since I was last living in shanghai.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
I can immediately tell he's gonna have a hard time here. "Guys I just got here and the pool doesn't have waiters and the water has LEAVES in it :gonk:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Um a pool? I can understanding wanting a gym with a pool but you want a complex with a pool?

Have you ever been to china before?