Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
If Persona 2:IS was remotely difficult or had the Press-Turn System, it would be my favorite SMT game. The interactions between the central protagonists was handled really well, especially during the events at the Reflection Pools and thereafter. They started out being further apart than the P3 characters and ended up being closer together than the P4 characters. It really helps that the characters are present at all times and have different things to say in all of the shops, restaurants, and dungeons. The rumor system provided a lot of world-building in the form of several gossiping NPC's whose dialogue changed after every dungeon. That was really cool, and it's something I miss in P3 and P4.

The battles are just so easy that it's tedious, and there's only a few ways to get Estoma or whatever the skill to lower encounter rates is. That part where you have to go through 4 Temples nearly stopped me from finishing the game. What should have been a great climax before the final dungeon ended up feeling like padding for the story bits (which were excellent).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Nate RFB posted:

Being more difficult/cumbersome doesn't necessarily make something more fun. The Press-Turn system is extremely basic comparatively, but it's also a lot more entertaining.

Well, of course, but P2 battles didn't have much of a hook to make them interesting, IMO. Finding fusion spells was kind of neat, but it never got any deeper and was OP once you got enough elemental combinations. Didn't help that MP was basically a nonissue because of how quickly it regenerated between encounters.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I got lost in that stupid Bomb Shelter in Innocent Sin and completely lost the will to continue.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Iserlohn posted:

If Persona 2:IS was remotely difficult or had the Press-Turn System, it would be my favorite SMT game. The interactions between the central protagonists was handled really well, especially during the events at the Reflection Pools and thereafter. They started out being further apart than the P3 characters and ended up being closer together than the P4 characters. It really helps that the characters are present at all times and have different things to say in all of the shops, restaurants, and dungeons. The rumor system provided a lot of world-building in the form of several gossiping NPC's whose dialogue changed after every dungeon. That was really cool, and it's something I miss in P3 and P4.

The battles are just so easy that it's tedious, and there's only a few ways to get Estoma or whatever the skill to lower encounter rates is. That part where you have to go through 4 Temples nearly stopped me from finishing the game. What should have been a great climax before the final dungeon ended up feeling like padding for the story bits (which were excellent).
The collective P2 experience really nailed it when it comes to the plot and cast. I think it's the best story Atlus has penned, easily. With that in mind, I'd rather it went along with something that is easier or more intuitive to play rather than the alternative. I mean I actually kind of like the story in P1! Even through the filter of the awful localization. But the gameplay and dungeons were just that bad.

YggiDee posted:

I got lost in that stupid Bomb Shelter in Innocent Sin and completely lost the will to continue.
You just keep going straight! I think. It's a gimmick dungeon IIRC.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well, now I feel bad for never being able to beat the last boss in Innocent Sin. And I didn't think Nocturne was particularly hard. :(

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
The last boss of IS is a huge difficulty spike. It's the first time in the game where you really need to buff and it pretty much all comes down to if you got Chronos so you can full-party buff or not. Once you gt some Ma-Maka/Samakajas on goes from a frantic struggle to stay alive to about the same as any other boss.

Or you can get some magic reflecting Personas, but I was always getting screwed by the physical part so I don't know how well that would help.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Strange Quark posted:

Well, now I feel bad for never being able to beat the last boss in Innocent Sin. And I didn't think Nocturne was particularly hard. :(

Nocturne isn't hard, unless you are playing on hard and want to beat Lucifer by draining all of his mana first because you think it would be funny. Don't do this, I was at it for three hours before I lost my patience.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

subhelios posted:

Nocturne isn't hard, unless you are playing on hard and want to beat Lucifer by draining all of his mana first because you think it would be funny. Don't do this, I was at it for three hours before I lost my patience.

Only vaguely related to Nocturne but still; That was how I wound up beating the demi-fiend in DDS sorta. And it took me about three hours too. Waiting for a pixie or something to run out of mana so it wouldn't heal him to full :V go figure.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea, none of the hard difficulties in SMT games are hard in anyway, they're just cheap, the only one I recall doing it right was DDS2, both you and the enemies would hit for double damage with a weakness attack.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Failure in hard mode in Raidou vs. Abaddon was entirely your fault for not being good enough at the game by virtue of you actually personally controlling your guy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Raidou Vs. Abaddon is still one of my favorites, I love how it managed to fix almost all the issues in the first game.

EDIT: To post below this one; instant death spells are always BS though. Always.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 26, 2013

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Failure in hard mode in Raidou vs. Abaddon was entirely your fault for not being good enough at the game by virtue of you actually personally controlling your guy.

Boss-level Mamudoons still had a decent chance of killing you even while blocking to reduce the odds but this is otherwise true.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nuebot posted:

Raidou Vs. Abaddon is still one of my favorites, I love how it managed to fix almost all the issues in the first game.

Same here. Nixing demons and just carving a hole in Lucifer solo is probably the most fun I've ever had in a Megami Tensei game.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: To post below this one; instant death spells are always BS though. Always.

At least with the Mamudoons from the non-boss foes, they don't cover the entire field while the bosses who have Mamudoon can suddenly decide when you just lose if you don't have a specific sword equipped that nulls death. That's why you make a demon that knows a Breath skill with some passive buffs that blow a hole through anything.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

TurnipFritter posted:

I like the dungeons in SMT4. I like the way different parts interlock - you might climb some stairs to end up on the street, or go through an airvent to get to a different part of the street or whatever. It's just a shame you can't really stop and look at the scenery without a demon spawning under your rear end.

(SMT4's Estoma Sword is not acceptable and I will legit buy a SMT4 Maniax if it includes a reasonable version of Estoma)

I wish there was a spell to increase the encounter rate in SMT IV. :shobon:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

El Belmondo posted:

I wish there was a spell to increase the encounter rate in SMT IV. :shobon:

This is hilarious to hear because the encounter rates in Nocturne and DDS were nightmarish sometimes. Especially in certain dungeons towards the ends of the DDS games where you couldn't take three steps without getting into fights.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Nuebot posted:

This is hilarious to hear because the encounter rates in Nocturne and DDS were nightmarish sometimes. Especially in certain dungeons towards the ends of the DDS games where you couldn't take three steps without getting into fights.

Honestly, I just got used to it, and it made me never have to grind, because getting 4 encounters worth of experience in 3 steps when you're so powerful enough to just 1-shot everything makes leveling up a sinch.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm loving SMT 4. I can't believe I never finished Nocturne and never played DDS. Wish they'd rerelease them at least as PS2 classics.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm loving SMT 4. I can't believe I never finished Nocturne and never played DDS. Wish they'd rerelease them at least as PS2 classics.

I think they did release DDS on PSN in europe only. Or at least they were going to ages ago but never got around to it.

Fakeedit: just googled it writing this up and on the fourth they apparently found out the game conflicts with sony's emulator (which is weird considering...) and they can't port them. That's really disappointing because I would have made an EU account just for that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nuebot posted:

I think they did release DDS on PSN in europe only. Or at least they were going to ages ago but never got around to it.

Fakeedit: just googled it writing this up and on the fourth they apparently found out the game conflicts with sony's emulator (which is weird considering...) and they can't port them. That's really disappointing because I would have made an EU account just for that.

I think it was Ghostlight who had the EU rights for DDS so I'm not surprised they couldn't get it working.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah it was them, their blog I found it on and everything. Oh well I guess there's always at least one alternative for people who don't have a functioning PS2 or PS3 capable of backwards compatibility. I am not looking forward to when mine goes, my PS2 overheats and freezes up if I play for more than an hour at a time these days.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Hey all, I'm about to start Digital Devil Saga and I remember hearing that one of the characters was extremely important to train for Digital Devil Saga 2. I'd like to know who as I'm planning to play both; also is there anything else I should prepare for? I've already beaten Nocturne so I'm sure I'll be better prepared for the Press Turn system this time.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Hey all, I'm about to start Digital Devil Saga and I remember hearing that one of the characters was extremely important to train for Digital Devil Saga 2. I'd like to know who as I'm planning to play both; also is there anything else I should prepare for? I've already beaten Nocturne so I'm sure I'll be better prepared for the Press Turn system this time.

Well you need to make sure to keep Cielo leveled for DDS2 (some people don't do this) because you'll have to use him later.

But that's only in DDS2. You lose all of your levels in between the two games, so don't get too concerned with grinding to 99 in DDS1 or anything. There are bonuses for importing a DDS1 save into DDS2 though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I think Jonjonaug covers what you specifically wanted to know, but DDS is generally the kind of game where you definitely want to keep most of your party up on top of levels and skills because you never know when a dumb gimmick or plot point will happen.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Unholy Ghost posted:

DDS1 isn't to important, thought it has the enormously annoying habit of removing certain characters from your party at certain intervals.

In 2, its Gale and Cielo, NEVER use anyone other than these 2, otherwise you're in for some heavy duty grinding at certain points in the game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
gently caress Cielo, having a weakness to status effects automatically makes him the worst character ever. Any area where I was mandated to have him in my party I just killed him and left him dead because he was more of a liability than an asset.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Coughing Hobo posted:

gently caress Cielo, having a weakness to status effects automatically makes him the worst character ever. Any area where I was mandated to have him in my party I just killed him and left him dead because he was more of a liability than an asset.

I don't think there's anywhere in DDS1 where you have to use Cielo, and in DDS2 his weakness is way less debilitating.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

jonjonaug posted:

I don't think there's anywhere in DDS1 where you have to use Cielo

Well there's the Demi-fiend fight but I think any level of use derived from that fight is kind of a faulty statistic anyway.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea the Demi can be killed with any combo, I did with Gale and Argilla, its more to ensure that Dormina hits before THAT move lands.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Coughing Hobo posted:

I was actually surprised how little it seemed to matter in DDS2. He did however require a ton more money to get the mantra that can Null his weakness.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

wiregrind posted:

For P5, I think they should follow the trend of making adaptative music, and, I don't know, blow everyones' minds with lyrics changing mid battle depending on what you're doing or something awesome like that.

They would need to have songs with understandable lyrics for this to work.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Suaimhneas posted:

They would need to have songs with understandable lyrics for this to work.

What are you talking about? Persona song lyrics are perfectly understandable. Now, if only someone would explain why the PSP remake of the first game's boss theme is about mouthwash...

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just last night I got the Blurays for Persona 4 the animation. The only thing on the subtitle track was the song lyrics. It's amazing what they are actually singing in the faster songs. The slower ones are easy to understand, but anyone would be thinking "what about a parrot?" when hearing Reach out to the Truth.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

jonjonaug posted:

I don't think there's anywhere in DDS1 where you have to use Cielo, and in DDS2 his weakness is way less debilitating.

I want to say you have to use him on the cruise ship?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

alcharagia posted:

What are you talking about? Persona song lyrics are perfectly understandable. Now, if only someone would explain why the PSP remake of the first game's boss theme is about mouthwash...
The same reason the original P4 battle theme was about lesbians.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Anyone know where I can get a jacket like Chie's? I don't want some way too expensive flimsy one made just for cosplay, I mean like a real jacket.

Also I'm a dude. Not a giant fat guy, but certainly not tiny Japanese girl sized.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

I want to say you have to use him on the cruise ship?

Oh man gently caress that boat. I got a thing to say about that boat, because I will never forget that moment.

Mudo. Fuckin' mudo man. That boat was the first time in an SMT game I got hit with a surprise attack that whipped out an all-party mudo spell that hit everyone and gameovered me in one go. It's been forever frozen in my memory since then.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I was able to beat the first of the fiend battles in SMT4 and when the fiend music from SMT:N started I'll admit that I got a couple chills. Whic makes me wonder, do you think that SMT:N would be as highly regarded without the extra content from the Director's cut version? I know that the best battles for me from SMT:N were the fiend battles and the late game fights from the TDE like Beelzebub. The amala labyrinth also helped to split up some of the more tedious main game dungeons like the Obelisk.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow, I wasted ten bucks buying Persona 1. I thought I enjoyed it last time I played the PSP release, but what brain dead idiot thought putting no save points in the Snow Queen towers? I am not going through that terrible dungeon again grinding to fight a loving boss who keeps putting everyone to sleep so I can't act. I figured at least you would get sent back to the last save or whatever, but nope back to title and back about seven levels.

I'm just going to skip this and move to Persona 2. Not like I was playing it to beat the game since I already did that in the past on the PS1 release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So... how long is SIV? I just watched Kaga die.