Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

James The 1st posted:

It's because Europe is scaled up, and also projection wonkeyness. If you notice, South America is also moved north. This is done to remove worthless arctic space from the map.

North America seems correct, and South America is almost correct, its north half is exactly where it should be in relationship to everything else, but Argentina and Chile are shrunk quite a bit for some reason, with the southern tip being further north than it should be. It's odd, because the northern extremes of the map don't seem to feature said distortion (and neither does Africa). I recall previous games having an enlarged Europe but looked at the map, it seems to be the right scale in relationship to Asia and Africa in this game.. It's just pushed south. Southwest, actually. Maybe it is for gameplay reasons, to get it closer to the new world for whatever reason.

I'm not going to get sore over it, it just seems like an odd choice and I wonder why they made it like that.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Looking at the EU4 map, it's just now striking me that the old world is shifted southwards from what it is in reality. Anyone know why this is? All of Africa and Eurasia is shifted like 500 miles south. London is on the same parallel as New York. It's weird.

edit: Here's the EU4 map, for reference:

It's really off-putting.

Time to cancel my preorder!

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

The terrain map looks satellite-ish and I like that. Maybe I'll finally try to play in it for once.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
For those curious, Quill did a video about the starting position of the Purple Fuckers (better known as the Byzantines).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYQV7-IPumU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
So, I've started posting my Victoria 2: HoD LP. The OP is currently up, and there will be a UI update up tonight. Gameplay updates will start going up in a couple of days. So if you're interested, come on over and let me know all of the things I'm explaining incorrectly. I love it when other people contribute help and advice along with my game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Patter Song posted:

For those curious, Quill did a video about the starting position of the Purple Fuckers (better known as the Byzantines).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYQV7-IPumU

I want to play this game. :( I would also be perfectly happy if Byzantium's life expectancy was equivalent to Tripoli's in Vicky2.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

North America seems correct, and South America is almost correct, its north half is exactly where it should be in relationship to everything else, but Argentina and Chile are shrunk quite a bit for some reason, with the southern tip being further north than it should be. It's odd, because the northern extremes of the map don't seem to feature said distortion (and neither does Africa). I recall previous games having an enlarged Europe but looked at the map, it seems to be the right scale in relationship to Asia and Africa in this game.. It's just pushed south. Southwest, actually. Maybe it is for gameplay reasons, to get it closer to the new world for whatever reason.

I'm not going to get sore over it, it just seems like an odd choice and I wonder why they made it like that.
If I recall correctly, it's like that to cut out the southern oceans, and makes the mapsize smaller.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It might also encourage Spain and Portugal to actually colonize South America and not Canada.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

The Nozzle posted:

It might also encourage Spain and Portugal to actually colonize South America and not Canada.
Isn't there some kind of tradewinds simulator in EU3 that helps fix that? It's faster to go from Iberia to Central/South America than it is to go to North America.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

Dibujante posted:

Isn't there some kind of tradewinds simulator in EU3 that helps fix that? It's faster to go from Iberia to Central/South America than it is to go to North America.

There is as in the real world, but it's constantly ignored when Spain and Portugal run into natives from the northern continent, getting a tribal conquest casus belli and ending up owning Florida by 1470.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Vodos posted:

Ed: "Hungary starts with +200% cost of core creation on their territory and +5% morale recovery on armies." That's interesting I guess, is there any historic reason behind this?

I don't know but it's going to make nabbing two provinces off them to try to form a nice looking Romania that much harder.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Rejected Fate posted:

I don't know but it's going to make nabbing two provinces off them to try to form a nice looking Romania that much harder.

There's probably still a Form Romania decision so at least you'll have claims (which reduce coring cost, nation-forming decisions don't give cores any more)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can anyone clue me in on how well Paradox games work on Mac? I'm thinking of buying the new MacBook Air but I'm worried it won't be powerful enough to play EU4 smoothly. Maybe somebody playing CK2 on Mac can shed some light.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Can anyone clue me in on how well Paradox games work on Mac? I'm thinking of buying the new MacBook Air but I'm worried it won't be powerful enough to play EU4 smoothly. Maybe somebody playing CK2 on Mac can shed some light.

CK2 works perfectly on my MBP. The only issue I ever really encounter is right-clicking all the time when I only have my trackpad available.

Also, they need to port Victoria 2 :colbert:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
In the years I've played EU3, I've finished exactly one game. With this final one, I hope to make it to two. I actually hadn't played EU3 since HoD came out and I was expecting to be a bit bored, but it's still remarkably fun, partially because of this, which will never not be fun:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

CK2 is Steam's daily deal, and all DLC -- including Old Gods -- is 75% off.

(The perennial question: Sword of Islam lets you play as Muslims. Legacy of Rome doesn't unlock any characters, but adds flavor to Greeks and retinues for everyone. The Republic lets you play as patricians. Old Gods lets you play as pagans. Strictly speaking, none are necessary, but all supply new twists on the experience that have generally been very well-received.)

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 27, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Holy poo poo, this morning I was looking into getting CKII, but I decided it was probably too much to get both it and Total War: Rome II in the fall, so I play some TF2 instead. Then I think to myself "...Maybe I'll get CKII instead.... I'm gonna look at it on Steam again", and HOLY poo poo SUDDENLY 75% OFF. Today is a good day. :buddy:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dibujante posted:

Yes, although Japan should absolutely be a legitimate target for this event, given that Japanese high society spent most of this time period emulating China (poorly).

It wouldn't be because of Japan that it wouldn't be a legitimate target, it would be because of China.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

A Violence Gang posted:

CK2 is Steam's daily deal, and all DLC -- including Old Gods -- is 75% off.

(The perennial question: Sword of Islam lets you play as Muslims. Legacy of Rome doesn't unlock any characters, but adds flavor to Greeks and retinues for everyone. The Republic lets you play as patricians. Old Gods lets you play as pagans. Strictly speaking, none are necessary, but all supply new twists on the experience that have generally been very well-received.)

One note about this, the CK2 Collection does not include The Old Gods. TOG is still 75% off, but you have to buy it separately.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Every single CK2 DLC is on sale except for the extra songs pack for Byzantium. I can't stop giggling about that for some reason.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Beamed posted:

It wouldn't be because of Japan that it wouldn't be a legitimate target, it would be because of China.
How so? Although Chinese elites probably considered the Japanese to be barbarians, they probably also considered the Manchurians to be similar.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Vegetable posted:

Looking at the latest Air models, 1.3 GHz may be a bit low, but the 1.7 GHz should work fine, with a maybe some lag if you go at max speed. The RAM and GPU will both work fine. If it's like CK2, you should be able to turn off some things like trees, water, and certain other things. I would say it will probably run fine but max speed may produce some slow down.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

DrProsek posted:

Looking at the latest Air models, 1.3 GHz may be a bit low, but the 1.7 GHz should work fine, with a maybe some lag if you go at max speed. The RAM and GPU will both work fine. If it's like CK2, you should be able to turn off some things like trees, water, and certain other things. I would say it will probably run fine but max speed may produce some slow down.

I was able to play EUIII just fine with my old 2007 era laptop with 1.4 GHz (though that wasn't a Mac, and it had a pretty decent for its day graphics card). HoI2 also worked fine and I'd presume Darkest Hour does too. I'm not sure about the other games though; when I tried to run HoI3 my computer poo poo itself, and I'm sure Vicky2 and probably CKII wouldn't fare much better.

I dunno what the specs are for the Air are, but you'd probably be able to play EU3 and the Europa engine games well enough.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I bought all the CK2 DLC ever. Maybe I'll actually play it instead of just giving Johan more beer money.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Will there be a demo for EU4? I remember they did one for CK2 , and I think for Victoria 2. I'd check the official forum, but it's basically the nerdy, eurocentric version of stormfront.

That wasn't a joke :smith:

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Ghetto Prince posted:

Will there be a demo for EU4? I remember they did one for CK2 , and I think for Victoria 2. I'd check the official forum, but it's basically the nerdy, eurocentric version of stormfront.

That wasn't a joke :smith:

Doesn't look like it, but then I haven't been keeping super close tabs on news about the game outside of Quill's video.

Seriously though, while the Paradox forum does have problems, they're not even close to Stormfront level bad dude.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Valiantman posted:

That Ulm is quite rare a sight.

But why is it that no-one remembers the name of Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
New quill18 video about Poland, Lithuania, Hungary, Bosnia and Serbia. Don't read the comments!!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope Lithuania is less terrible at defending itself in the final release, it was kind of sad to see Muscovy just waltz in and start beating it up without really trying. They should really get improved tolerance as part of their starting NI so they don't have huge RR everywhere.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Quill18 may be a youtube hero, but for someone making videos on EU4, it's almost like he played 5 hours of EU2/3 because he is completely clueless to old mechanics like culture shifting and knowing about things like why you can't forge a claim on the enemy capital province, why a 20% production efficiency mod is RIDICULOUS early, doubling or tripling your production early on, Ethopia being Orthodox, the Timurids going into India and becoming the Mughals, etc. I can't wait to play the drat game.

rhazes fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 28, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

I hope Lithuania is less terrible at defending itself in the final release, it was kind of sad to see Muscovy just waltz in and start beating it up without really trying. They should really get improved tolerance as part of their starting NI so they don't have huge RR everywhere.
Youtube comments mention that Lithuania's Polish ideas have been replaced with custom ideas, so hopefully that's right. Improved tolerance and religious unity* really seems like a must for Lithuania, because they really shouldn't be having that much trouble with rebels. That also ties into the whole thing with nationalist being too powerful, too early, which is probably one of the first thing I would fix if Quill18's experiences with Muscovy are representative of the final product. The real life Commonwealth managed to stave off major losses to the Russians for 200 years, while regaining some authority over Prussia and taking most of the Livonian Order, so falling apart that suddenly and completely shouldn't happen outside of some freak events.

*Does either/both of them reduce the AI's desire to convert provinces? Likewise, does a high tolerance for your own religion increase it?

rhazes posted:

Quill18 may be a youtube hero, but for someone making videos on EU4, it's almost like he played 5 hours of EU2/3 because he is completely clueless to old mechanics like culture shifting and knowing about things like why you can't forge a claim on the enemy capital province, why a 20% production efficiency mod is RIDICULOUS early, doubling or tripling your production early on, Ethopia being Orthodox, the Timurids going into India and becoming the Mughals, etc. I can't wait to play the drat game.
Yeah, he would probably have been well served with just skimming the history of the various states he talks about in the videos. Especially so in this video, what with the Battle of Varna apparently being the reason for why those states are in the state they're in.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

RabidWeasel posted:

Even if they don't take better care of themselves by release Poland will probably be a amazing bodyguard.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Are there any downsides to the Pop Demand Mod that I'm missing on a quick glance? Looks to me like it's just NNM + more goods but I remember this thread being kind of split on that mod.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Last time I heard the major issues were slowdown from the stupid number of different pops added, and the addition of new unneeded terrain types with extremely strict requirements for building railroads, making the whole railroad system near pointless unless you're playing a country with perfect terrain. I also heard that there were major problems with their tweaks to the combat system (mostly related to the huge flanking bonuses they gave most units) but I can't recall if they changed that or not.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah you're looking at it in reverse, NNM is PDM with the crap stripped out, so stick to that if you want the new nations and decisions but none of the garbage.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Basically, a lot of the changes it makes stem from how the developers think the game works, not how it actually works. The changes to the support values of various brigades causes armies to not function properly in the late game, the economic tweaks are not balanced at all, etc. The developers also do not listen to feedback about these things that well, either- people have pointed out the military problems before and nothing's changed.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Does NNM have all the events and decisions from PDM though?
Just loaded up a POD (HoD version of PDM) game and most of China had -2 to -4 to railroads because of terrain and Irregulars had 1 recon while regular cav had 2. :psyduck:
Guess you guys are right.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

rhazes posted:

He seems generally clueless in an inoffensive way. In one of his earlier videos, he was surprised that Lutheranism hadn't shown up yet in the 1450's.

Part 11 of his England playthrough is out, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPP_ksr5uWA

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

So, will there be a EU4+, or is the era of Wiz's modding supremacy over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ThePutty posted:

So, will there be a EU4+, or is the era of Wiz's modding supremacy over?

No, I am not going to be creating mods for games I work on for a living...

• Locked thread