Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
So it turns out our little one was molting, which he started in on at about 6pm last night, and finished around 9pm. We thought maybe this was why he hadn't eaten yet. After he was done, we put some mealworms in two separate dishes, and that seemed to work (both were eating) until the big one (who has been named Jabba) figured out there was another food dish and started a tussle to get control over it. So today we'll be the separate cage route. Thanks for the help! Here is a picture of the little one about an hour into the molt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Please please please, get rid of the sand. Tile, reptile carpet, paper towels, nothing. Anything is better than sand.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Cless Alvein posted:

Please please please, get rid of the sand. Tile, reptile carpet, paper towels, nothing. Anything is better than sand.

I read that as long as the sand was fine enough, then sand was ok for geckos.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cless Alvein posted:

Sand is absolutely fine so long as the gecko is a healthy and hydrated adult. In fact, reptile carpet can snag claws and cause the loss of toe tips.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Huh, everything I've read has said to avoid sand like the plague. In some cases they say okay for adults, but why take the risk vs just using shelf liner or slate

Either way, I stand corrected.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 18, 2013

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cless Alvein posted:

Huh, everything I've read has said to avoid sand like the plague. In some cases they say okay for adults, but why take the risk vs just using shelf liner or slate

Either way, I stand corrected.

The "Sand Is Bad" myth has been around for a long time. It's not bad advice to avoid sand with babies, but with healthy adults, the risk is minimal. Impactions in adult animals are almost always caused by dehydration and/or malnourishment.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
So, our house had the kitchen floor replaced yesterday and I moved my new batch of quail babies into the reptile room as a result. I woke up to this smug bastard sitting beside the tub:

He ate at least 16, maybe as many as 20 and killed 9 on his way out. I don't know how he managed to get out of the quail tub after eating them because he is a loving sausage and seems pretty uncomfortable. He is now curled on the heated side of his bin and dead asleep. :downs:

I feel like an idiot but the quail were going to be eaten by me anyway soooo, lookit that fatass snake.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I came into the reptile room this morning to him hauled out on the side of the shelf next to the tub, looking at me with bleary disdain like 'Sup, I ate yo loving birds'. He was sooo grumpy with being handled but we just had to snap a few pics and bother him because lol, he is soooo full.

This is what happens when you let your spoiled snakes eat quail culls.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
THAT IS THE FUNNIEST THING I'VE SEEN IN FOREVER.

Link this to chicken lady in e/n, I want to see the face of true horror.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
lmao that guy knows whats up

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Pardalis posted:

So, our house had the kitchen floor replaced yesterday and I moved my new batch of quail babies into the reptile room as a result. I woke up to this smug bastard sitting beside the tub:

He ate at least 16, maybe as many as 20 and killed 9 on his way out. I don't know how he managed to get out of the quail tub after eating them because he is a loving sausage and seems pretty uncomfortable. He is now curled on the heated side of his bin and dead asleep. :downs:

I feel like an idiot but the quail were going to be eaten by me anyway soooo, lookit that fatass snake.

LOL what a lardass.

Snakes are serious gluttons sometimes.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
I love how you can see the individual quail lumps going down the body.

Gluttony is a pretty good strategy when you can do things like curl up in a warm hole for a week and absorb all the calories you'll need for the year post-pigout.

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

I'm taking care of a very emaciated leopard gecko and am curious if there's anything else we can be doing to help him. We're not sure how old he is because his owner got him from someone else 8 years ago, but he's at least 10. Owner is a pretty experienced gecko owner and his husbandry with them fits with everything I've read about them (short but wide and long tank, hides, graduated heat, sand or newspaper substrate, etc) and they get fed at last weekly, usually more often. However this morning he noticed this one was skinny. He doesn't look skeletal to me, but there's very little fat on his tail and you can see his skull indents with ease. We suspect what happened is that this guy wasn't able to compete for food with his cagemates (I believe there's 8 in there total? it's a big tank) and since this one likes to hide and there's another with the same pattern, his condition just slipped by :(

So since this morning, I've got him in his own tank (2'x10"x1' rectangle?) with a layer of paper towels, a box to hide in, a shallow water dish, and a lamp bent over one corner of the tank to give him some heat. I don't have a way to measure the temps but ambient room temp is about 75F. As soon as he was on his own, he became alert, wandering around the enclosure, looking very interested in things, so we took that as a good sign. I got him some gut loaded, vitamin dusted crickets, and he's eaten about 3 so far. His hunting skills are really crap, possibly a factor in why he was having trouble getting his share of food, but he's definitely interested in catching things. He's even doing the lil excited tail wiggle before he strikes! I'm giving him a couple more hours before I remove the remaining crickets to a carrier and will offer them to him again tomorrow. The plan is that once he's at least stable, I'll try him on a pinky mouse. The tank is on my desk with my computer and speakers- bad idea? I can probably find somewhere else to put him, he's up here because I wanted to keep a close eye on him.

This sound like a good plan? We're taking it day by day and if he continues to decline, we'll euthanize him.

No this isn't a case of "I have this friend...". I'm spearheading trying to get him better because of personal stuff on his owner's part that I'm not going to get into here.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
I'd give it waxworms over a pinkie mouse, they're easier to digest and chock full of calories. Don't forget your calcium/vitamin powder, of course.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

A pinky isn't a terrible choice, but there are better ones for sure. Waxies, superworms and phoenix worms are good options. How big is the tank he's come from? 8 in one tank sounds like waay too many unless it's a 80-100g or a wide/low exo. Might do better to thin out the herd.

Can we see some pics? Geckos can go very quickly from 'kinda skinny' to 'OH GOD', so it's important to judge where he's at with body condition.

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

I was told this is the only one out of the group that refuses worms so he suggested pinkies, but I;ll try waxworms first and hey, if he doesn't eat them, I know the others sure will. I'm not sure about the size of the tank, it's pretty big. Googling dimensions for 100g I'm pretty sure it's a wide/low version of those because it's at least three feet long. I'll talk with the owner about maybe moving in a second to this smaller tank if/when he's back in good shape.

Crappy ipod pictures 1 and 2. The little brown bits are catfood kibbles I put in there for a little bit for the crickets because it's adorable when they drag them around :kiddo:

Edit: He is loving killing me with how ridiculously cute it is when he wags his tail before he strikes. I knew they did it because I saw the others do it before but man, up close, this little dude is cuter than a kitten even in the state he's in. He also keeps staring out at me whenever my service dog hops up in my chair, like he's curious about Otis :kimchi: I really hope he pulls through.

an expert fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 26, 2013

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I have a thing for Australasian pythons -

Macklot's python by sildargod, on Flickr

I was lucky enough to pick up a gorgeous children's python earlier, so there'll be photos of her to follow soon.

Our crested scene in South Africa is depressing, the cheapest you're likely to find one is around $200 and if they're captive bred, $300 or more. They're so drat cute, but gah.. That cost.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
Wow, that gecko is looking rough. I wouldn't worry too much about it refusing the waxworms, they're like gecko crack. If the gecko won't go for it on the floor of the tank, just pick it up with tongs and wiggle it around close to its nose. That normally does the trick for the first one, and once they get that fatty worm taste associated with the smell you shouldn't have to wiggle them anymore.

If you're going to feed mealworms, I'd personally give it a good soaking every couple days to make sure the animal stays good and hydrated. Mealworms are full of calories but they're so shell-y that an animal in poor health could develop discomfort or blockage if it's dehydrated or weak. Lukewarm (80-90 degrees) dechlorinated water just below the elbows, let soak for 20-30 minutes. They don't drink the water really, they absorb it up the cloaca and a little bit through the skin.

e: And yeah that little tail wiggle is drat cute. I could watch Toast eat all day and have a straight :kimchi: face the whole time.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 26, 2013

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

weavernaut posted:

I'm in Germany and I have no idea if there are reptile shows in my area. I'd think there are, but I'm not 100% sure what to google for (I don't speak German well enough).

Whereabouts are you? (Town and or/postcode)

I'll have a look and will let you know what I can find out.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
I'm in Baden-Wuerttemberg, in Karlsruhe. That's nearish Baden Baden.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Snake feeding question..I've got 4 snakes of various ages/weights and I feed all of them adult mice (reg/small? Theyre not jumbo). For the larger guys, Im wondering if its just more cost effective to switch to rats...

Gopherbull 182g
Ball 201g
Corn 597g
Bullsnake 763g

From the last weighing. I just fed the bull 3 mice, and the corn would probably take 3 easily. i'm not sure about the gopherbull, theres only a slight bulge from the mouse I just fed.
Going off of rodentpro, I could maybe go for extra large mice, 25.00 - 45.00+g or weaned rats, 30.00 - 44.99... the rats are twice the price though for around the same weight. Worth it? I feel like Id still be feeding the same amount..?

$65 vs $112 for 125 pieces.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Malalol posted:

Snake feeding question..I've got 4 snakes of various ages/weights and I feed all of them adult mice (reg/small? Theyre not jumbo). For the larger guys, Im wondering if its just more cost effective to switch to rats...

Gopherbull 182g
Ball 201g
Corn 597g
Bullsnake 763g

From the last weighing. I just fed the bull 3 mice, and the corn would probably take 3 easily. i'm not sure about the gopherbull, theres only a slight bulge from the mouse I just fed.
Going off of rodentpro, I could maybe go for extra large mice, 25.00 - 45.00+g or weaned rats, 30.00 - 44.99... the rats are twice the price though for around the same weight. Worth it? I feel like Id still be feeding the same amount..?

$65 vs $112 for 125 pieces.

Rats and chicks would be your best bet. American Rodent usually has chicks for like $.25 a piece.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

sildargod posted:

I have a thing for Australasian pythons -

I was lucky enough to pick up a gorgeous children's python earlier, so there'll be photos of her to follow soon.

Our crested scene in South Africa is depressing, the cheapest you're likely to find one is around $200 and if they're captive bred, $300 or more. They're so drat cute, but gah.. That cost.

I love the Macklot's. Very underappreciated species. I've personally always had a soft spot for Savus.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Big Centipede posted:

Rats and chicks would be your best bet. American Rodent usually has chicks for like $.25 a piece.

I didnt realize chicks were that cheap... is there a downside to them? Im unsure about the gopherbulls ability to eat a day old chick (no idea how fat they are), and if all of them would take to eating em... I dont have an issue with the ball eating mice at the moment.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Malalol posted:

I didnt realize chicks were that cheap... is there a downside to them? Im unsure about the gopherbulls ability to eat a day old chick (no idea how fat they are), and if all of them would take to eating em... I dont have an issue with the ball eating mice at the moment.

Oh, I missed that ball... I'd keep the ball on rats and nothing else.

The only downside to chicks is the snake poop can be extra smelly sometimes. My ratsnakes and kings LOVE them.

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

Kilersquirrel posted:

Wow, that gecko is looking rough. I wouldn't worry too much about it refusing the waxworms, they're like gecko crack. If the gecko won't go for it on the floor of the tank, just pick it up with tongs and wiggle it around close to its nose. That normally does the trick for the first one, and once they get that fatty worm taste associated with the smell you shouldn't have to wiggle them anymore.

If you're going to feed mealworms, I'd personally give it a good soaking every couple days to make sure the animal stays good and hydrated. Mealworms are full of calories but they're so shell-y that an animal in poor health could develop discomfort or blockage if it's dehydrated or weak. Lukewarm (80-90 degrees) dechlorinated water just below the elbows, let soak for 20-30 minutes. They don't drink the water really, they absorb it up the cloaca and a little bit through the skin.

e: And yeah that little tail wiggle is drat cute. I could watch Toast eat all day and have a straight :kimchi: face the whole time.

I'll definitely give the waxworms a shot then, once he's through these crickets, and bear that in mind about soaking him. Today he's being a lot less active and more like a rock (or, say, a nocturnal lizard on the verge of starvation). He's pretty much hiding in his hide and shifting sleeping positions. However, he pooped! I'm guessing the stillness isn't unusual considering he ate 5 crickets in 12 hours, dude's stomach probably needs to relearn how to digest things :unsmith:

Also I was wrong, there was only 6 leos in the tank: five chubby ladies with tails thicker than my thumbs and this poor guy. He is now King Stitch of Desktopia.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

weavernaut posted:

I'm in Baden-Wuerttemberg, in Karlsruhe. That's nearish Baden Baden.

First thing I found is this:

Terraristikmesse (Reptile Expo) Karlsruhe 2013

Dates:

Venue:
Kongresszentrum Karlsruhe
Festplatz 9
76137 Karlsruhe
Open: 10 am to 4 pm
Admission: 7 EUR

http://www.messeninfo.de/Terraristikmesse-M5430/Karlsruhe.html

Also not too far and pretty soon:

Reptilienbörse Rolinski Aschaffenburg

Date: 18.08.2013

Venue:
Eissporthalle
Stadtbadstr. 1
63739 Aschaffenburg, Deutschland

Admission 6 EUR

http://www.reptilienboersen-rolinski.de/
(This one is apparently held on a semi-annual basis)

Since you have a quarterly event one right in your town I think getting small packs of mice on a regular basis should be no big problem :-)

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 27, 2013

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004

an expert posted:

I'll definitely give the waxworms a shot then, once he's through these crickets, and bear that in mind about soaking him. Today he's being a lot less active and more like a rock (or, say, a nocturnal lizard on the verge of starvation). He's pretty much hiding in his hide and shifting sleeping positions. However, he pooped! I'm guessing the stillness isn't unusual considering he ate 5 crickets in 12 hours, dude's stomach probably needs to relearn how to digest things :unsmith:

Also I was wrong, there was only 6 leos in the tank: five chubby ladies with tails thicker than my thumbs and this poor guy. He is now King Stitch of Desktopia.

Yeah that's pretty normal. Toast used to plow down 8-10 crickets at a time when he was growing and then sprawl out under his half-log for the next day or so, then come out searching around the next evening.

Definitely do some soaks, leopards get most of their moisture from prey and he's probably been/is still a bit dehydrated. Not every day, but maybe once or twice a week until he's got some weight back on him and the tail is getting round again. He'll probably hate them and do the angry scream-hiss initially but he'll get over it.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yeah, that gecko looks emaciated and dehydrated, but if he's eating and especially if he gets grumpy at you, it sounds normal ;) My lizard only stayed put for soaks in lukewarm (make sure it's way below what you would consider lukewarm, too, so like mid 60s water to start) when she was on the verge of death. Now it's freak out time, and only misting works.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Big Centipede posted:

Oh, I missed that ball... I'd keep the ball on rats and nothing else.

The only downside to chicks is the snake poop can be extra smelly sometimes. My ratsnakes and kings LOVE them.

So besides the smelly turds there anything else to watch out for if I were decide to switch to a mostly chick diet? It is getting time to reorder food for the corns so I thought I'd maybe try them out.

Also I finally managed to get a photo of the new little crested to fire up.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cless Alvein posted:

So besides the smelly turds there anything else to watch out for if I were decide to switch to a mostly chick diet? It is getting time to reorder food for the corns so I thought I'd maybe try them out.

Also I finally managed to get a photo of the new little crested to fire up.

I believe chicks are a bit leaner than rats, but I feed my ratsnakes mostly chicks and have never had any issues. I still switch it up every once in a while though.

I wouldn't give chicks to the ball though, since they can sometimes get "stuck" on one type of prey item and refuse anything else.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend

Hopper posted:

First thing I found is this:

Terraristikmesse (Reptile Expo) Karlsruhe 2013

Dates:

Venue:
Kongresszentrum Karlsruhe
Festplatz 9
76137 Karlsruhe
Open: 10 am to 4 pm
Admission: 7 EUR

http://www.messeninfo.de/Terraristikmesse-M5430/Karlsruhe.html

Also not too far and pretty soon:

Reptilienbörse Rolinski Aschaffenburg

Date: 18.08.2013

Venue:
Eissporthalle
Stadtbadstr. 1
63739 Aschaffenburg, Deutschland

Admission 6 EUR

http://www.reptilienboersen-rolinski.de/
(This one is apparently held on a semi-annual basis)

Since you have a quarterly event one right in your town I think getting small packs of mice on a regular basis should be no big problem :-)

Oh, rad! I might check it out. I doubt we'll be in a position to get a pet by November, but it can't hurt to look.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Big Centipede posted:

I wouldn't give chicks to the ball though, since they can sometimes get "stuck" on one type of prey item and refuse anything else.

Theres really no issue though if the ball likes the chicks and..you dont plan on varying the diet???
My room already smells like rear end once all four of them take a dump, I dont want to imagine chickpoops. :gonk:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
So wait...I shouldn't put a water dish in my leos' tanks because they don't actually drink it? I've kept them for 5 years and never heard of this.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Malalol posted:

Theres really no issue though if the ball likes the chicks and..you dont plan on varying the diet???
My room already smells like rear end once all four of them take a dump, I dont want to imagine chickpoops. :gonk:

Mainly because the place I order from doesn't always have chicks, but rats are always easy to find.

As far as poop smell goes, it's not much worse than rat poop. Poop's poop... it's not going to smell like a botanical garden :)

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
No, you should really put a water dish in there anyways. They'll drink, but pretty rarely. Better to have and not need than vice-versa.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Yeah mine is more likely to just go traipsing through the thing, but occasionally I see her duck her head down for a sip

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Let's play the "are these chameleons healthy/do they have a good future ahead of them" game

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pet/3971439455.html

It is so tiny and cute :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

They look fine, but here's the lovely thing about Jackson's; they're a live birth species, so most of the time, some of the babies will do fine right up until around the 2-3mo mark, and then suddenly drop dead for no god drat reason at all. Those babies are neonates, and while they seem relatively fine now, this person could unload 10-20 babies for $20 each and have all of them die after they've moved on to new homes.

Not to mention a novice keeper can dehydrate a Jacksons quicker than I can kill a plant. It's a heavy mist species, used to mountainous regions, and baby chams of any kind are touchy as hell to take care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I know pine shaving are a no-go, but I'm considering adding pine needles to my Southern Pine snakes enclosure. They would mostly be hand collected sandpine needles and rinsed before adding them. I've seen snakes at zoos with pine needles, and I'd like to make her cage a bit more realistic.
Thoughts?

Edit: Also, this was a few posts down below the other chameleon ad on that craigslist:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pet/3965775511.html

• Locked thread