Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I think duel mode can be fun and it lets you concentrate on combat and footwork even if it doesn't work exactly the same in team maps, sorry for being worse than Hitler I suppose. v:shobon:v

ChickenHeart posted:

I had the most beautiful thing happen in this game today when two MaA's threw their firepots at the same archer hiding on top of one of the buildings in the desert map. He barely had time to register what was happening before a Knight jabbed him from behind and threw him off the ledge, where he died screaming in midair and plunged into the river in the center of the map.

Almost as amazing was ganging up on some dude with a fellow goon, only to be teamkilled when he accidentally gutted me with his spear that went completely through the dude we were flanking.

The ruins map is great. Play Man-at-Arms, be the last surviving member of your team in LTS or TDM, and go to the agatha side building's roof that is the furthest downstream, then jump on the tree and crouch. Don't forget to spam "help!", you got yourself on this tall tree and it's scary and need someone to help you get down*! :ohdear:

*may involve turning you into a corpse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
My two main concerns with duel mode are;
Archers against melee (completely unfun, even if you win)
With how busted weapon speeds are right now, it's not particularly fulfilling when people start loving with the mechanics to make it worse. I have not been invested in an FPS enough to do crazy RUNE style poo poo in a very long time.

Hey if you like it, go for it. I will be hunting down archers like it's my job.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 26, 2013

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Bought this game in the steam sales, since I played a ton of m&b: crpg, and was looking for something similar that wasn't war of the roses. I kind of miss directional blocking and directional attacks, but I still really like the chiv combat- feels like there's some weight behind strikes. And it's hilarious how old gimmicks like staring constantly into the ground to bypass blocks is still very much alive, even in a completely different game series.

I've been playing around with the spears, and to be honest, as a completely medicore player, it kind of feels like cheating. Unless you face a disproptional amount of people who know how to block and move, it's just stab city all the way to the top slots of the leaderboard

E; Speaking of spears, which one do people prefer? I've been using the third, slowest one, but I'm not sure if I've noticed much of a difference in the amount of stabs it takes to kill, compared to the first one, at least.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 26, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
I use the first spear because it doesn't seem to have any difference in kill times when you're just overhead spamming.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

E; Speaking of spears, which one do people prefer? I've been using the third, slowest one, but I'm not sure if I've noticed much of a difference in the amount of stabs it takes to kill, compared to the first one, at least.

I don't really like spears (they are a more "stand off and think about what you are doing" type of weapon and I am more of a "always be sprinting while mashing swings, overheads and the C key" player), but when I do I use the brandistock, because it hits like a truck and is a complete pain in the arse to block. But I prefer weapons with more "ommph".

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Orv posted:

My two main concerns with duel mode are;
Archers against melee (completely unfun, even if you win)
With how busted weapon speeds are right now, it's not particularly fulfilling when people start loving with the mechanics to make it worse. I have not been invested in an FPS enough to do crazy RUNE style poo poo in a very long time.

Hey if you like it, go for it. I will be hunting down archers like it's my job.

Playing an archer in duel is immensely satisfying and exciting if nothing more than to see the outcry it causes. And I dont know, yes the games are different but the 1000+ duels seem to have given me a huge advantage in other game types. But you only got so much time and if you find it boring then spend your chiv time playing a mode you like.

Any word when the uniform customization patch is coming out?

FreddyJackieTurner fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 26, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

I like the billhook because its speed on stabs and overheads lets you get inside a lot of the vanguard's and knight's arsenals, but the brandistock's brief delay on the 'overhead' power stab basically makes it the zweihänder of polearms.

Also, probably everyone knows this but alt-LMB while circlestrafing left owns for getting around shields and messing up parries on a lot of weapons.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I take a different approach to duels in that I'll spectate them from time to time. It's a really quick way to see swing timing and footwork without the pressure of inevitable death. Helped me a lot when I was first starting.

Another thing I credit with helping me is low grav games. Just a tick slower than normal games really helps you figure out how to parry and counter. Don't want to spend too much time there 'cause it WILL make you develop bad habits. no, julio, you can not jump out of battles

Now I usually warm up with a 16-32 player ffa clusterfuck before getting into objectives.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Bohemian Nights posted:

I personally like the military fork quite a bit for duel and LTS. The speed of the fork reminds me a lot of the awlpike from cRPG, and can fill a similar purpose. If I am playing a more chaotic or larger game mode I will stick with the heavier spears, as I mostly go for support and just try to stab people who can be caught unaware.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

YF-23 posted:

I think duel mode can be fun and it lets you concentrate on combat and footwork even if it doesn't work exactly the same in team maps, sorry for being worse than Hitler I suppose. v:shobon:v
Duel mode is a fun mode to play occasionally, just might not be the best introduction to new players. But gently caress it people will play whatever mode they find the most fun, not what some sperglording goons tell them to play.

I played the official duel mode the other day because its been a while. The tiptop players at that time seemed to be using Vanguard with Scottish Claymore and really mixing it up between combo swings and feints. I was surprised I only found one guy with his mouse sensitivity cranked and doing the whole super mouse drags thing. He was only middle of the pack in terms of score. The first time I fought him he used the knight with the 2nd axe unlock, and he cranked his mouse in the direction he was swinging, so his swings went crazy fast around him. I was playing MAA so I just went in and hit him inbetween swings and he called me a pussy and a human being for waiting for him to attack first. The next time I fought him he was a vanguard and it was like watching a robot having a meltdown. His upperbody was leaning back and forth as he kept looking around randomly while swinging. He still couldn't manage range effectively though. On the final round he kept stepping backwards and spamming the No emote, because he absolutely refused to swing until I attacked him first. He still lost.

Also, as bad as the Chivalry community already is, the amount of 'mad at videogames' people was huge in the Duel server compared to other servers I've seen. I guess its expected that if you lose a fight in a perfectly controlled bubble, you have to complain loudly how that player is a human being or how that class or weapon is OP and broken. Otherwise people might think you're bad at a videogame and not just a horrible person.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Honestly, I think it's the atmosphere in Duel that does it to people. I will even admit to it myself, I am pretty chill in every other mode but put me in duel and I want to twist the heads off kittens in rage at times. Not in a "ur a pussy fagget" rage, more the helicoptering claymore vanguards that are every other opponent screwing with my MAA.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

On the Mad at Videogames front I was playing TO the other day and was doign pretty good, number 3 on my teams side, and we are doing well on the objective.

Some level 43 guy on the other team who is really good decided to target me and kept talking about I was bad at blocking and such. I'm just like yeah, i play the game to swing a big sword around or go stabby with big spears. I suck at the advanced mechanics and don't care to practice them.

He was dumbfounded that someone did not take it seriously I guess. He kept ragging me and raging about every death of his in the chat until he left.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

On a similar note, there was a level 40-ish player in the TO server I was in who was constantly sperging about K/D ratio, and actually trying to convince a member of his team to switch because his KDR was low. He wasn't a bad player, but he seemed to take the game way too seriously, and I think he was trying to impress a couple of clanners who were also playing.

In response to Duel chat, I thought the duel mode was pretty neat when it came out. I had a lot of fun having tense battles against people at my skill level, or punching new players to death, or having impromptu fisticuffs. Even getting stomped by better players is still fun if you learn what you did wrong.

I haven't played duel in a while though so I haven't seen the glitchy spinny vanguards yet.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Speaking of ranks, I just generally assume that the ranks in this game are completely broken and a bad indicator of someone's playing time. I mean, from one day to the other, I jumped from rank 9 or something to 46, and I'm pretty sure it's stayed there since.

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.
Some person in duel seemed to be on the verge of meltdown because I beat him while he was a javelin archer using a basic spear vanguard. I suppose e-bushido is present in just about every multiplayer game, but the name and melee focus just attracts some folks who are especially vehement about it. I had forgotten how much casual homophobia and racism gets bandied about in these sorts of games.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess I just got lucky then, since out of the 50 or so duel matches I've played everyone has been pretty cordial to each other, with lots of 'gf's and 'nice hit's between every round. Maybe it's just that I haven't played duel as much as the rest of the modes, but whenever I got fed up with idiot teammates and invincible vanguards and switched to duel I've always had a good time, even if I didn't win.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
If a server is getting sweatwordy, I start killing everyone with kindness and congratulating after every fight with "nice duck" "drat you are really good at knight, gg" or whatever, whether I win or lose until everyone is doing it.

You shouldn't just complain about everything-ist shitlords in this thread as much as you should go out there and be the change you want to see.

Also play duel and TO in equal amounts so you get both a good handle of team positioning and quirky combat mechanics. Also always run around as MAA firepotting and swipe whoever looks to be the most e-honorable with a mace before leading them on a chase running around laughing your head off.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In all games I've played everyone has been extremely chill. You apologise when you kill a teammate and they say "that's ok" or "no worries" Teamkilling is like 40% of Chivalry, after all.

I pretty much rage every time I fight vanguards. That's where all my rage comes from.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

That is really the best reason to get Decent At Chivalry, calling people out on their poo poo. I'm not MLG but can usually do pretty well, and it's amazing what being above a douche on the scoreboard can do for your ability to make him play nice.

Sadly this does not work on pugstars. If you are below them then you are a noob scrub. If you are above them then you are a cheating hacking cheap human being.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So do the veteran helmets just not work? I unlocked all the weapons ever a few weeks back but only just remembered they were a thing, and I don't see any difference when I turn them on.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I made two new discoveries today: low gravity is incredible, and the Claymore is 15 different kinds of bullshit. I've seen a guy using it on an FFA server and it was borderline impossible to even hit him. He'd just keep on windmilling in circles and even if you blocked or dodged his first attack it was borderline impossible to get inside the humungous range before the next attack is incoming. When I unlocked it a little later I could see that yes, it really is pretty much just as fast as a broadsword.

But then I stumbled upon a low grav server and everything with the world was right again. Shooting jumpy vanguards out of the air is a great way to have fun with bows, and timing a jump just so to intercept some guy with a swing as he sails past never gets old. :allears:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 26, 2013

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cowcaster posted:

So do the veteran helmets just not work? I unlocked all the weapons ever a few weeks back but only just remembered they were a thing, and I don't see any difference when I turn them on.

Half the time they show up for me, the other half they don't. I'm pretty sure they are glitched.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Low grav is great for solely griefing. Get a Vanguard and jab through the slowest hurricane of people. It is mandatory to kick people on both sides, off of inaccessible areas. Those archers are not going having fun standing in place.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

UglyDucklett posted:

If a server is getting sweatwordy, I start killing everyone with kindness and congratulating after every fight with "nice duck" "drat you are really good at knight, gg" or whatever, whether I win or lose until everyone is doing it.

You shouldn't just complain about everything-ist shitlords in this thread as much as you should go out there and be the change you want to see.

Gonna quote this because this is pretty inspirational and a really going point. I just get mad a lot of the time because it's really tiring to get smashed in the back of the head by some fucknut teammate who says "LOL MEH" immediately, but being nice really makes the game more enjoyable usually.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Slappy Moose posted:

Gonna quote this because this is pretty inspirational and a really going point. I just get mad a lot of the time because it's really tiring to get smashed in the back of the head by some fucknut teammate who says "LOL MEH" immediately, but being nice really makes the game more enjoyable usually.
The most heartwarming FPS moment I ever saw was in TF2 when the only time I ever saw somebody teabag a body on a Valve server, literally everyone made fun of him over it so hard without any actual slurs or swears (There's a Taunt button son) they left.

Alas, the first time I saw a Javelin archer teabag a Man At Arms in Chivalry, people were too busy talking about "Shonobi(sic)" being the proper term for ninjas :smith:

Though I have had a nice number of people take well to my admissions of simply getting lucky with kills, or blaming my failures on "I am SO bad at arrows" instead of an influx of homosexual African Americans, compared to the shitstorm of archers cussing out other archers, for not shooting more archers, who shot had shot their archer.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
The only thing that makes me rage in this game is an FFA archer that doesn't kill me. Like if I'm facing off against someone and we are battling and then as I go to parry I get winged in the back for little HP but it breaks my parry and then there goes my head. They don't get the kill and they don't get assist points. Makes me mad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I had completely forgotten teabagging was even a thing until I played this game. Of course any time I see someone doing that I kill/punch them. If it's teammate and they say wtf I tell them they have no honor and they usually get pissed thinking I'm a nerdy roleplayer. I actually do like to taunt people "in character" because it creates a hilarious amount of anger. :allears:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Blimpkin posted:

The only thing that makes me rage in this game is an FFA archer that doesn't kill me. Like if I'm facing off against someone and we are battling and then as I go to parry I get winged in the back for little HP but it breaks my parry and then there goes my head. They don't get the kill and they don't get assist points. Makes me mad.

This here is the entire reason to play archer. Short bow it up to get maximum projectiles, I guess rock sling might work too but I kinda suck with it. Bathe in the sweet sweet tears :qq:

Edit: If you're lucky you might even get a few kills.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Bohemian Nights posted:

I kind of miss directional blocking and directional attacks

Well, if you think about it, there is directional attacking and blocking, just implemented in a different (and imho, smarter) way. An overhead attack is what usually is a forward+mclick in other games, the piercing move is a back+mclick and the normal slashes are left/right+mb. Directional blocking does exist, as just clicking the block button won't block everything by itself: you have to aim to the enemy's weapon.

On the dueling discussion, I think too that dueling servers make Chivalry an entire different game. Not better, not worse, just different, to a degree that even if you know the basic dueling moves and techniques, you probably won't use 90% of them in a ffa/to game, because you'll be too busy avoiding being backstabbed while fighting 2 people at the same time.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just started running around as a knight with the grand mace :stare: This thing loving owns. It's got a kinda long windup that really throws dudes off. Pair that with a Norse sword secondary and some throwing axes you'll be killing dudes all over.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I've only been playing this for the last couple of days, and roughly 75% of my time has been spent in FFA matches trying to unlock weapons as quickly as possible. In that time, I've come to roughly two conclusions:

1) All games should involve the ability to scream and chop someone's head/leg/arm off.

2) Any game wherein I get my sexuality questioned for using any of the classes, is a fairly well balanced game.

<caveat to #2> knight/vanguard with any kind of sword is way easier to get kills with in FFA than any other class in the game.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 27, 2013

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cerebral posted:

I've only been playing this for the last couple of days, and roughly 75% of my time has been spent in FFA matches trying to unlock weapons as quickly as possible. In that time, I've come to roughly two conclusions:

1) All games should involve the ability to scream and chop someone's head/leg/arm off.

2) Any game wherein I get my sexuality questioned for using any of the classes, is a fairly well balanced game.

<caveat to #2> knight/vanguard with any kind of sword is way easier to get kills with in FFA than any other class in the game.

You say this, but poking horrifically wounded people in the middle of a melee in the rear end as a man-at-arms can be quite profitable.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

You say this, but poking horrifically wounded people in the middle of a melee in the rear end as a man-at-arms can be quite profitable.

:thejoke: poke them in the rear end

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
I've played this game for a couple of times now and I'm horrible, but nothing will lessen my amusement at mashing C while running around a corner into a group of enemies and instantly turning around to run away from them while screaming at the top of my lungs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I usually play as Agatha but I had a great round as a Mason Knight teamed up with another one. We kept gaining up on the lone agathans and then laughing endlessly everytime we killed one. It was great since the knight's laugh is so evil. :byodood:MWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!:byodood:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
People who play with friends and team up with each other on FFA matches, are they the worst? yes or yes?

It's always a funny moment when you swoop in to attack someone and you spot another person coming behind him, you're thinking to yourself "K, that can make things easier" and instead he just runs completely past him and bolts towards you. That's when you turn around and spam "Help".

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
That's the kind of rear end in a top hat that only anonymity can provide. Try the Broadsword MAA against groups. It wins.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

People who play with friends and team up with each other on FFA matches, are they the worst? yes or yes?

It's always a funny moment when you swoop in to attack someone and you spot another person coming behind him, you're thinking to yourself "K, that can make things easier" and instead he just runs completely past him and bolts towards you. That's when you turn around and spam "Help".

Sometimes funny, sometimes annoying. When six out of twelve people on a FFA server are named Sir Somethingor other, running around as a vet helmet vanguard blob and spewing Xbox live grade insults every time they kill someone, meh. I once saw a pair of archers working together obviously, but that seemed more of a desperate bid to survive against the rank 40+ mega killstreak vanguard on a server full of otherwise single digit rankers. They actually left my MMA alone for the most part unless I ran right at them.

Though I gotta wonder how some people pull it off when it's less obvious like 'Veteran helmet Vanguard Gang' and a mixed group of pals, considering the only time I've ever seen name popups is in Team vs modes and even then, only when you put your crosshair over a nearby teammember.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This tends to only happen to me when I'm a MAA or Melee out Archer fighting a covered in blood and gasping Vanguard or knight. The only kind of logical reason I can think of, is that they are scared they can't oneshot them in the back and will get killed by a retaliatory (or accidental backswing) of helicopter sword.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
God I want to like the flail but it is so unbelievably bad. No reach, bad speed, moderate damage, and you're forced to use a crappy buckler instead of a real shield. Vanguards can kite you, Maa run circles around you, and Archers just shoot you in the knees. So I get more damage against knights? Woop dee doo, fighting other knights wasn't hard in the first place. It really needs to be completely reworked, it's a weapon that enhances all of the weaknesses of the class that uses it. The description makes it sound hard as hell to parry but nobody ever has trouble with it.

On top of all that the taunt for it is terrible :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

God I want to like the flail but it is so unbelievably bad. No reach, bad speed, moderate damage, and you're forced to use a crappy buckler instead of a real shield. Vanguards can kite you, Maa run circles around you, and Archers just shoot you in the knees. So I get more damage against knights? Woop dee doo, fighting other knights wasn't hard in the first place. It really needs to be completely reworked, it's a weapon that enhances all of the weaknesses of the class that uses it. The description makes it sound hard as hell to parry but nobody ever has trouble with it.

On top of all that the taunt for it is terrible :mad:

Third person mode makes it infinitely more usable since you can actually see where the gently caress the head of the flail is swinging (hint: it's not where your crosshair is), but then again 3rd person mode does that for everything. If you're really dedicated to using it just make sure to always lead with the thrusting shield-smash. It's fast and unbelievably easy to hit people in the head with it.

Taunt should really be you spinning it over your head like a maniac though.

• Locked thread