Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Poizen Jam posted:

So most of the eastern seaboard and parts of the gulf weren't already claimed? To be honest I thought it'd look even worse than that. Sadly that map contains no info on Canada, I'll see if I can find an equivalent.

Edit: So this is the only thing I could find. No way to verify the map though- and it looks like the Iroquois are missing some great lakes territory if I'm not mistaken.

Sadly, the Beothucks can no longer make land claims in Newfoundland. They're all dead. Relations weren't so friendly- no attempts to establish trade or relations seemed to work. There was precedent however, as evidence of early viking European settlements on the island may explain the contempt for outsiders.

It's also missing the entirety of the Haida and Salich tribes in BC and I assume others as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

HookShot posted:

It's also missing the entirety of the Haida and Salich tribes in BC and I assume others as well.
Nova Scotia/New Brunswick were settled by various Abenaki groups, most notably the Mi'kmaw and Maliseet (other Abenaki peoples also lived in most of New England and a part of southern Québec). The St. Lawrence River valley was, at the time of contact, settled heavily by an Iroquoian-speaking people of which we know little, beyond their word for village - kanata. They were essentially gone by the late 16th Century, probably victims of disease and warfare. The green portions of Ontario were primarily settled by the Anishinaabe, including the Mississaugas, Odawa, Algonquin, Nipissing, and Ojibway (whose lands were greater than shown there). However there were also the Wendat/Wyandot, who lived on the north shore of Lake Ontario, and the Neutral Nation, who lived in the Niagara Peninsula, both of these being Iroquoian people.

The far southern part of Manitoba and into eastern Saskatchewan was mainly a Siouan-speaking people called the Assiniboine, who were not a part of the Great Sioux alliance but were often allied with the Ojibwe and Cree against them.

Southern Alberta and western Saskatchewan was mainly the domain of the Niitsitapi, mainly known in English as the Blackfoot. Today three nations of the Blackfoot Confderacy remain in Canada, those being the Piikani, Kainai, and Siksika. The Tsuu T'ina, who at the earliest time of contact lived further north and were counted among the Beaver, moved south three hundred or so years ago and ended up allied with the Blackfoot, and at one point were even a part of the Confederacy (this is actually reflected in Treaty 7 that ceded most of southern Alberta to the Canadian government).

And I don't know anything about the First Nations of BC.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I think language maps are a good possibility to gauge where natives lived pre-Columbus, as the European concepts of "borders" and "claims" don't really apply.

Northern America and its language families. I don't know why large swaths of the eastern US and Florida are classified as "unknown" (I can't imagine that they were uninhabited), is there really so little information to work with?

Another map for the lower 48, going into much greater detail.

So it seems that there were indeed hardly any parts of the country that hadn't been settled/claimed in one way or another.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

lonelywurm posted:

Nova Scotia/New Brunswick were settled by various Abenaki groups, most notably the Mi'kmaw and Maliseet (other Abenaki peoples also lived in most of New England and a part of southern Québec). The St. Lawrence River valley was, at the time of contact, settled heavily by an Iroquoian-speaking people of which we know little, beyond their word for village - kanata. They were essentially gone by the late 16th Century, probably victims of disease and warfare. The green portions of Ontario were primarily settled by the Anishinaabe, including the Mississaugas, Odawa, Algonquin, Nipissing, and Ojibway (whose lands were greater than shown there). However there were also the Wendat/Wyandot, who lived on the north shore of Lake Ontario, and the Neutral Nation, who lived in the Niagara Peninsula, both of these being Iroquoian people.

The far southern part of Manitoba and into eastern Saskatchewan was mainly a Siouan-speaking people called the Assiniboine, who were not a part of the Great Sioux alliance but were often allied with the Ojibwe and Cree against them.

Southern Alberta and western Saskatchewan was mainly the domain of the Niitsitapi, mainly known in English as the Blackfoot. Today three nations of the Blackfoot Confderacy remain in Canada, those being the Piikani, Kainai, and Siksika. The Tsuu T'ina, who at the earliest time of contact lived further north and were counted among the Beaver, moved south three hundred or so years ago and ended up allied with the Blackfoot, and at one point were even a part of the Confederacy (this is actually reflected in Treaty 7 that ceded most of southern Alberta to the Canadian government).

And I don't know anything about the First Nations of BC.

We know exactly what happened to the Iroquois tribes of the St. Lawrence valley. Basically the French backed the Huron/Algonquin tribes of the upper areas of Ontario/Quebec because of the fur trade they controlled. This drove the Iroquois tribes south of the St. Lawrence where they became the biggest allies of the British in North America to the point that they provided a major part of the Loyalist army during the Revolutionary war. It's also the reason for the large Iroquois migration after the revolutionary war to the British side of the St. Lawrence as it was seen as harbour for backing the losing side.

It's complex but if you want you can see the diaries of the Johnston family (the Knights of New York) in the archives of the UK and Canada. They go into some serious details about British/Iroquois relations.

Hypnagogic Jerk
Dec 11, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

We know exactly what happened to the Iroquois tribes of the St. Lawrence valley. Basically the French backed the Huron/Algonquin tribes of the upper areas of Ontario/Quebec because of the fur trade they controlled. This drove the Iroquois tribes south of the St. Lawrence where they became the biggest allies of the British in North America to the point that they provided a major part of the Loyalist army during the Revolutionary war. It's also the reason for the large Iroquois migration after the revolutionary war to the British side of the St. Lawrence as it was seen as harbour for backing the losing side.
No, he means the Saint Lawrence Iroquoians. Jacques Cartier met with them during his travels starting in 1534, but when the French came again in the Saint Lawrence Valley around 1608, they were totally gone, replaced with other Iroquoian and Algonquian peoples. We don't know for sure what happened with them, as no Europeans were around at the time.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

System Metternich posted:

Northern America and its language families. I don't know why large swaths of the eastern US and Florida are classified as "unknown" (I can't imagine that they were uninhabited), is there really so little information to work with?

Language maps are all based on really rough guesswork.

The Americas experienced precipitous population collapse in the 16th century. 80% or more of the population died.

By the time Europeans were looking to talk to indigenes or make "language maps," their societies had already imploded. European explorers were basically wandering through a "Mad Max" post-apocalyptic hellscape.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Language maps are all based on really rough guesswork.

The Americas experienced precipitous population collapse in the 16th century. 80% or more of the population died.

By the time Europeans were looking to talk to indigenes or make "language maps," their societies had already imploded. European explorers were basically wandering through a "Mad Max" post-apocalyptic hellscape.
I'm reading 1491 right now. Things would have been pretty drat different if De Soto did not just so happen to bring 200 pigs with him to the New World.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

wukkar posted:

I'm reading 1491 right now. Things would have been pretty drat different if De Soto did not just so happen to bring 200 pigs with him to the New World.

How are you liking that? I was thinking about buying it, but my book budget is really tight right now. Worth the $14?

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

MrMenshevik posted:

How are you liking that? I was thinking about buying it, but my book budget is really tight right now. Worth the $14?

Yes. Absolutely. Do it. I've read both 1491 and its followup 1493. While 1491 contains more information about pre-Columbian America, 1493 is equally important in understanding how the Columbian Exchange altered the world, 16th-18th century economics and how European disease ravaged Indian communities. Both books are wonderful in their own right.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

wukkar posted:

I'm reading it too, but I don't think things would have been all that different. I mean, there might have been real population density for a few years or so (and more complete language maps as a result), but it sounds like massive 90%+ plague casualties were going to happen eventually.

Particularly striking was when the author asked if there was any way to avoid the horrific epidemics, even if the natives/Europeans understood everything about the diseases that we do, and he concluded that maybe if the Europeans stayed offshore and traded over ropes... forever... the natives might have been okay.

In other words it was inevitable.

1491 is a really depressing book. (A really, really good depressing book.)

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
I wonder - it seems that European illness was absolutely catastrophic to the Americas, but if (for the sake of argument) the first sea trip had been the other way around, are there comparable afflictions that would have devastated Europe?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Eiba posted:

I'm reading it too, but I don't think things would have been all that different. I mean, there might have been real population density for a few years or so (and more complete language maps as a result), but it sounds like massive 90%+ plague casualties were going to happen eventually.

Particularly striking was when the author asked if there was any way to avoid the horrific epidemics, even if the natives/Europeans understood everything about the diseases that we do, and he concluded that maybe if the Europeans stayed offshore and traded over ropes... forever... the natives might have been okay.

In other words it was inevitable.

1491 is a really depressing book. (A really, really good depressing book.)

An scenario for GURPS Alternative Histories 2 posits that maybe if the Vinland colony survived and led to more interbreeding, and kept up contact with a Viking controlled Europe, that maybe the Native populations could have survived.

Of course, they were really just justifying having an awesome 1400's scenario with Vikings and Amerindian trading states.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

Technocrat posted:

I wonder - it seems that European illness was absolutely catastrophic to the Americas, but if (for the sake of argument) the first sea trip had been the other way around, are there comparable afflictions that would have devastated Europe?

There are a small number of American diseases, which were transmitted back to Europe by colonizing and trading. I believe syphilis originates in the Americas. But the short answer is no, and it doesn't matter who makes contact with whom. Once the European sailors return to port, the Americas have made contact with Europe. Think of the way plagues were often carried by ships returning home.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Technocrat posted:

Not to my knowledge. There's evidence that syphilis was brought back from the Americas, but that came over anyway, and did not devastate Europe to near the same extent that chicken pox, cholera, diphtheria, influenza, measles, scarlet fever, smallpox, typhoid, or whooping cough did the indigenous American population.

e:f;b, but yeah, the exchange of diseases was a two-way thing from the time the first ships started returning.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Technocrat posted:

If I remember the ol' Guns, Germs and Steel correctly in order to have those really nasty population-wiping diseases while being able to survive them yourself you need to have population concentrations and animal husbandry.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
So Rahm Emanuel's first big task as mayor was to shut down a hell of a lot of Chicago Public Schools ostensibly to save money. After the shutdown went into effect, a bunch of other CPS schools got some extra, unexpected cash. Check out where the schools are being closed and where the cash is going:

In case you're unfamiliar with Chicago's socioeconomic makeup:

E: modnote, use timg tags for huge maps next time.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 31, 2013

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, Chicago is a brutally discriminatory place. I am surprised its economy lasted as long as it did, I thought it would have ended up like Detroit much sooner (from white flight and the dismantling of non-white neighborhoods).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 31, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wikipedia brings us this hypothetical "European super grid":

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, Chicago is a brutally discriminatory place. I am surprised its economy lasted as long as it did, I thought it would have ended up like Detroit much sooner (from white flight and the dismantling of non-white neighborhoods).

It is not that bad in Chicago; it is still 45% White, Detroit only 10%.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Can't see any problems with literally chaining North Africa to Europe.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Technocrat posted:

This couldn't have happened for reasons explained in 1493: Europeans were very, very dirty at the time. Personal hygiene was nowhere near the level of the ancient Romans, Greeks or even Native Americans of the time. Europeans were conditioned to disease and became (fairly) resistant over the course of decades, even centuries, to all sorts of common illnesses. A very important concept Europeans were familiar with was quarantine. If a family living in a house was contaminated with a contagious disease the solution was to board up the house and light it on fire. And everybody in it. In pre-Columbian America, quarantine did not exist.

After the Europeans came to America, disease spread like wildfire. In native communities, it was common to sit around a diseased person and perform healing rituals. With a disease as contagious as the bubonic plague or the common cold, these communal activities guaranteed disease spread even faster. Another good example is the Incan Empire; because of its excellent roads people (and disease) could travel at amazing speed. Well before Pizarro came to Andes, the empire was up for grabs because of European diseases and civil war.

When Spanish explorers came to what is know New Mexico and west Texas, the place was virtually depopulated. There's plenty of evidence many natives must've lived there. Mann argues that the common misconception of "an empty continent" came from early explorers' lack of understanding how fast disease travels. Long before Europeans came to Florida for example, the peninsula was already ravaged by disease and only scattered tribes remained.

What happened to the Native Americans was inevitable. Europeans of the time knew nothing about bacterial or viral infections or even how a disease can spread. A few pigs or a few men with a bad cold would've been enough, so to speak, to annihilate an entire continent.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wow so the Mississippi river system may have been the most accomplished disease vector in all of human history? Or I guess the amazon is a contender too...

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

This couldn't have happened for reasons explained in 1493: Europeans were very, very dirty at the time. Personal hygiene was nowhere near the level of the ancient Romans, Greeks or even Native Americans of the time. Europeans were conditioned to disease and became (fairly) resistant over the course of decades, even centuries, to all sorts of common illnesses. A very important concept Europeans were familiar with was quarantine. If a family living in a house was contaminated with a contagious disease the solution was to board up the house and light it on fire. And everybody in it. In pre-Columbian America, quarantine did not exist.

After the Europeans came to America, disease spread like wildfire. In native communities, it was common to sit around a diseased person and perform healing rituals. With a disease as contagious as the bubonic plague or the common cold, these communal activities guaranteed disease spread even faster. Another good example is the Incan Empire; because of its excellent roads people (and disease) could travel at amazing speed. Well before Pizarro came to Andes, the empire was up for grabs because of European diseases and civil war.

When Spanish explorers came to what is know New Mexico and west Texas, the place was virtually depopulated. There's plenty of evidence many natives must've lived there. Mann argues that the common misconception of "an empty continent" came from early explorers' lack of understanding how fast disease travels. Long before Europeans came to Florida for example, the peninsula was already ravaged by disease and only scattered tribes remained.

What happened to the Native Americans was inevitable. Europeans of the time knew nothing about bacterial or viral infections or even how a disease can spread. A few pigs or a few men with a bad cold would've been enough, so to speak, to annihilate an entire continent.

Is there any evidence that the early Viking explorers might have transmitted any diseases a few centuries earlier?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Is there any evidence that the early Viking explorers might have transmitted any diseases a few centuries earlier?

People they met died pretty soon anyway :black101:

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Jerry Cotton posted:

People they met died pretty soon anyway :black101:

Well, actually they were driven off by the natives. Most likely the Beothuk, which as someone earlier in the thread pointed out apparently didn't play well with others even in the best of times. The Vikings picked one of the worst parts of North America to land in as far as hostile native presences are concerned and after a few months from the looks of it they decided it wasn't worth it and packed up.

That being said it's starting to look like Newfoundland might not have been the only place the Vikings set up an outpost. It's looking like they might have had more settlements in the Canadian arctic.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/11/vikings-and-indians/pringle-text
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/10/121019-viking-outpost-second-new-canada-science-sutherland/

Fojar38 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 31, 2013

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

khwarezm posted:

The Vikings even had a name for the natives of Newfoundland, namely "Skraelings". The Vinland sagas, as the stories of Norse expeditions to North America are called, took place in the year ~1000 but written records date back to the 13th century. So it's difficult to say if disease travelled along with the vikings and if it made casulties in Newfoundland. Even in the 11th century Newfoundland was an isolated place so if disease spread, it couldn't have gone far. Fact is the vikings came to North America 492 years before Columbus but their attempts at colonization (and hostile contact with natives) were insignificant compared with the Spanish in Mexico.

Despite the lack of iron weapons, the Skraelings were able to kick the vikings out of Newfoundland. Contact between Scandinavians and the Skraelings may have continued for years, but it's difficult to tell for how long, where, and between who because there are few sources written after the Vinland Sagas that speak of Norse expeditions to Markland (Labrador), Helluland (Baffin Land) and Vinland (unknown).

The Skálholt Map.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

Another good example is the Incan Empire; because of its excellent roads people (and disease) could travel at amazing speed. Well before Pizarro came to Andes, the empire was up for grabs because of European diseases and civil war.

The Incan empire was in a civil war due to smallpox having killed the emperor and his heir.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Fojar38 posted:

Well, actually they were driven off by the natives. Most likely the Beothuk, which as someone earlier in the thread pointed out apparently didn't play well with others even in the best of times. The Vikings picked one of the worst parts of North America to land in as far as hostile native presences are concerned and after a few months from the looks of it they decided it wasn't worth it and packed up.

That being said it's starting to look like Newfoundland might not have been the only place the Vikings set up an outpost. It's looking like they might have had more settlements in the Canadian arctic.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/11/vikings-and-indians/pringle-text
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/10/121019-viking-outpost-second-new-canada-science-sutherland/

The Beothuk are insanely weird historically, as they most likely had contact with Europeans fishermen between the vikings and the arrival of Columbus. So typical disease explanations for their extinction don't really work.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Chicago's economy has been financialized and its exchanges are among the biggest and most influential in the world. Because Chicago is not forsaken by capital there are jobs, which when coupled with a degree of segregation so far beyond the norm for American cities leads to stable white neighborhoods.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Chicago's economy has been financialized and its exchanges are among the biggest and most influential in the world. Because Chicago is not forsaken by capital there are jobs, which when coupled with a degree of segregation so far beyond the norm for American cities leads to stable white neighborhoods.

Chicago is also, compared to Detroit, massively more condensed and has a functioning downtown area with public transit and high housing prices with new developments. The whole city is a grid from the streets to the organization of people by income and race.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

American Electric Power has propositioned something similar for North America: build up a lot of high voltage so the wind potential in the midwest can be sold to coastal regions. While a great infrastructure project is unlikely, I've heard a high voltage line from eastern Colorado (lots of wind potential) to Southern California seriously proposed.

When I was in school as an EE ten years ago I sat through a talk where someone proposed tunnels criss-crossing the United States to move renewable energy with both transmission lines (superconductors, I think) and hydrogen pipes. It was pretty pie-in-the-sky, but entertaining. I can't remember who was proposing this. I want to say Warren Buffet, but I can't find anything to substantiate that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
That sounds something like the Pickens Plan, though I'm not sure if it actually is what you're referring to. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickens_Plan

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
That's probably it. Wow, I misremembered most of the facts. Yeesh.

Edit:
"The proposal also includes Tesla coils designated to wirelessly power all appliances in the country. There will be a blender Tesla coil, a vibrator Tesla coil, etc." - me

BerkerkLurk fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 31, 2013

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

shouts out to germany, new zealand, bolivia, ireland, malta and hungary for using better systems than anybody else

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Posted yet?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is this correlationequalscausation.jpg?

Remember kids, Protestantism causes diabetes :eng101:

(yes, I know it's actually fuckthesouth.jpg, version 8749852)

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

wikipe tama posted:

Posted yet?

Is there a version where we can read the labels?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

wikipe tama posted:

Posted yet?

This is one of the most perfect summations of how "The South" for so many is a magic phrase that lets them suspend their normally stated principles and say that, no, poverty really is a moral failing.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Protestantism possibly causes a lifestyle outlook that leads to diabetes. It's not impossible when you frame it logically. Considering the type of people who got kicked out of Europe and forced to flee to the Americas, religion probably is important when considering some of the ills of American history. Puritans, for example, were unforgivable scum and their legacy is still felt today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Protestantism possibly causes a lifestyle outlook that leads to diabetes. It's not impossible when you frame it logically. Considering the type of people who got kicked out of Europe and forced to flee to the Americas, religion probably is important when considering some of the ills of American history. Puritans, for example, were unforgivable scum and their legacy is still felt today.

Except that Calvinist-inspired denominations traditionally promote an austere and non-ostentatious lifestyle. I can maybe see how it leads to diabetes in a very roundabout way, through the development of capitalism and consumerism, but there is certainly no direct connection.

Killer robot posted:

This is one of the most perfect summations of how "The South" for so many is a magic phrase that lets them suspend their normally stated principles and say that, no, poverty really is a moral failing.

wikipe is just sort-of trolling, but that's a good point. It's especially ironic when you consider that rural African-American poverty plays an important role in those statistics. That's the one map they left out, strangely enough.