Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Good Will Hrunting posted:

In mine, the guy tried to ask a common Google brainteaser question but hosed it up. This was worth a good laugh with some of my colleagues when I got back to our base office, but was less than fun as I struggled to determine what he was asking for. I kept asking questions and his reply was "I don't think you're getting it" when he couldn't give an answer to what I was asking. He was kind of a dick, but then again, a lot of people at large banks are.

I had the Brown Eyes/Blue Eyes logic puzzle incorrectly posed to me by a woman whose native language was not English. She made it sound like the goal of the puzzle was for everyone to figure out what color eyes they had.

I'd never heard the problem before, so my answer (and I was really proud of myself for coming up with it!) was to suggest that everyone on the island pull out one of their eyes and look at it with their remaining eye. She looked horrified. I didn't get an offer that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Would this work?

Since she announced seeing someone with blue eyes, then that night everyone goes to the ferry and simply states that they have blue eyes. That night all 100 people with blue eyes leave. The next day she will declare she sees someone with brown eyes, and repeat so the other 100 leave. At the end the guru dies of hunger since she doesn't know her own eye color and no on can tell her what it is.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 27, 2013

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Hard NOP Life posted:

Would this work?

Since she announced seeing someone with blue eyes, then that night everyone goes to the ferry and simply states that they have blue eyes. That night all 100 people with blue eyes leave. The next day she will declare she sees someone with brown eyes, and repeat so the other 100 leave. At the end the guru dies of hunger since she doesn't know her own eye color and no on can tell her what it is.

I think this is an induction problem and her statement is necessary to start the problem. If there's only one person with blue eyes on the island, then that person will see nobody with blue eyes. Because of the Guru's statement, the person who sees no other blue eyed people is the one with blue eyes. If there are two people (n+1) on the island with blue eyes, then each blue eyed person will only see one other person with blue eyes. If nobody leaves at night, then that confirms that the observer has blue eyes. And so-on until n=100.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 27, 2013

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Skuto posted:

I'm not familiar with UK labor law, but does it have a concept of probational periods? Over here, for the first 3-6 months you can both be fired or leave yourself at very short notice (1 week for quitting, 2 weeks for being fired).

Yes, this is pretty much standard in the UK too - 3 month probationary period during which you can be given 1 week's notice, and after that it's 1 month's notice and they have to have a good reason (I think it generally tends to go up the longer you've worked somewhere too).

Very different from what I experienced in the US (edit: specifically Michigan) where it's 2 weeks' notice all the time any time for any reason.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 27, 2013

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Hard NOP Life posted:

Would this work?

No, the Guru only really speaks one time, and the people that will show up for the ferry always get it right because they already figured out their color. The problem is very precisely stated for a reason.

oRenj9 posted the correct solution.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 27, 2013

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Yes, this is pretty much standard in the UK too - 3 month probationary period during which you can be given 1 week's notice, and after that it's 1 month's notice and they have to have a good reason (I think it generally tends to go up the longer you've worked somewhere too).

Very different from what I experienced in the US (edit: specifically Michigan) where it's 2 weeks' notice all the time any time for any reason.

I thought in the US you could be fired without notice for no reason?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

qntm posted:

I thought in the US you could be fired without notice for no reason?

That depends on the state. It's an At-will employment thing and you'll find that many states offer exceptions that make employment more rigid.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 27, 2013

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Sarcophallus posted:

That depends on the state. It's only true for 'At-Will' employment.

At will employment does have important exemptions: you can't be fired for a discriminatory reason, among others. It's really worth knowing what applies to you in your state since you can sue for compensation if you're illegally fired (Which happens a lot of the time, with the employer often helpfully documenting everything!)

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

How do you put being laid off on your resume vs getting fired? :negative:

Graduated college in December, had this job for 6 months, got laid off yesterday. I feel like only having 6 months of experience and then suddenly unemployed looks really bad but nothing I could have done :(

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Why would you mention why you left a job on your resume at all?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

Why would you mention why you left a job on your resume at all?

Yeah, say nothing about why, at all. Put the job on your resume with the dates you were employed. if they ask then you explain yourself.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
Or just tell them you're still working there and just shopping around. Unless they know someone in the company and you don't have a buddy there you should be fine.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Skuto posted:

The problem is very precisely stated for a reason.

I misread it as the guru can only speak once a day.

edit: wait I still don't get how his solution works when there's more than 1 eye color :saddowns:

Janitor Prime fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 27, 2013

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I have a couple questions about location. I recently decided I was more open to out of state jobs, but I'm not sure how to go about applying. I have a friend who lives near LA and so I've been applying to any jobs I see in that area, but is there something more I can do than camp Craigslist? Are recruiters even an option when I can't respond given a single day notice? I have actually never had a recruiter set up an interview with more than 24 hours notice. Well, there was that one time the guy managed to plan it a week in advance, only I get to the interview and it turns out the company had no idea anyone was supposed to be having an interview.

My second question is similar. There's a (small)chance I could actually move in with my friend in LA. Am I much more likely to find a job living in LA than I am here in Nashville? This probably isn't actually an option, even if he does end up in a better apartment and can make room for me, I don't know that I'd have the capability of sustaining myself over there for any amount of time.

Oh yeah, I should specify. I've got a Bachelor's in computer science, and I'm looking for a programming position. I prefer C# or something similar, but I'm open to pretty much any position that's open to an entry-level developer.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Los Angeles is a large job market -- it's a large city, there are a ton of companies, lots of software jobs. I'd rather grow a career as a software developer there than in Nashville.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Zero The Hero posted:

I have a couple questions about location. I recently decided I was more open to out of state jobs, but I'm not sure how to go about applying. I have a friend who lives near LA and so I've been applying to any jobs I see in that area, but is there something more I can do than camp Craigslist? Are recruiters even an option when I can't respond given a single day notice? I have actually never had a recruiter set up an interview with more than 24 hours notice. Well, there was that one time the guy managed to plan it a week in advance, only I get to the interview and it turns out the company had no idea anyone was supposed to be having an interview.

My second question is similar. There's a (small)chance I could actually move in with my friend in LA. Am I much more likely to find a job living in LA than I am here in Nashville? This probably isn't actually an option, even if he does end up in a better apartment and can make room for me, I don't know that I'd have the capability of sustaining myself over there for any amount of time.

Oh yeah, I should specify. I've got a Bachelor's in computer science, and I'm looking for a programming position. I prefer C# or something similar, but I'm open to pretty much any position that's open to an entry-level developer.

If you are looking in another city I'd go dedicated job website like monster. Places that advertise there will be more open to relocation packages and flights for interviews than someplace only posting on the local Craigslist.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

oRenj9 posted:

I think this is an induction problem and her statement is necessary to start the problem. If there's only one person with blue eyes on the island, then that person will see nobody with blue eyes. Because of the Guru's statement, the person who sees no other blue eyed people is the one with blue eyes. If there are two people (n+1) on the island with blue eyes, then each blue eyed person will only see one other person with blue eyes. If nobody leaves at night, then that confirms that the observer has blue eyes. And so-on until n=100.

So it takes 100 nights for each blue-eyed person to to see every other blue-eyed person see hasn't left, then all the blue-eyed people leave the next night? Ad the rest stay for eternity?

There's no way I would have ever come to that conclusion in a high-pressure interview environment unless I'd Googled "common tech interview logic problems" while sitting in the waiting room. Maybe if you've already worked a lot with induction for some reason and could notice the type of problem it was right out of the gate?

Point being, when you have a 5 minute(ish) window to figure that out, what the hell are they actually trying to learn about you? An exceptional Math background? How much you prepared for the interview on Google? Savantism?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

shrughes posted:

Los Angeles is a large job market -- it's a large city, there are a ton of companies, lots of software jobs. I'd rather grow a career as a software developer there than in Nashville.

LA also sucks and the cost of living is astronomical, even if you try to commute.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

boho posted:

So it takes 100 nights for each blue-eyed person to to see every other blue-eyed person see hasn't left, then all the blue-eyed people leave the next night? Ad the rest stay for eternity?

There's no way I would have ever come to that conclusion in a high-pressure interview environment unless I'd Googled "common tech interview logic problems" while sitting in the waiting room. Maybe if you've already worked a lot with induction for some reason and could notice the type of problem it was right out of the gate?

Point being, when you have a 5 minute(ish) window to figure that out, what the hell are they actually trying to learn about you? An exceptional Math background? How much you prepared for the interview on Google? Savantism?

a) if someone asks you this question its probably because they googled the same thing.
b) maybe you just don't do well at this kind of thing? its okay, i'm not very good at fixing cars, but somebody else is.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
famdav's fun logic puzzles:

You have 100 statements, of the form:

At most 0 of these statements are true.
At most 1 of these statements is true.
At most 2 of these statements are true.
At most 98 of these statements are true.
At most 99 of these statements are true.

How many statements are true? Which statements are true?

----

Give me a ten digit number, where digit i (indexed left to right from 0) is the number of occurrences of i in the number. Assume the 0th digit is not 0.

----

7 people have hats that can be any of 7 colors put on their head. They can see their friends' hats, but not their own. The king says that if any one of the 7 correctly states what color hat is on their head, they all will not be put to death. Given the people can discuss beforehand, find a winning strategy.

----

John and Sally play a game where they randomly write an even number of numbers in a row like this:

1 2 3 10 29 ... 14 3 17 2 10

on a piece of paper. On each person's turn, they take a number from one of the ends of the line and add it to their total, crossing it out and shrinking the list by one. The player whose sum is the largest wins.

Assume Sally goes first. How can she use her advanced female intellect to defeat the patriarchy?

FamDav fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 28, 2013

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Could we maybe not poo poo up this thread with stupid rear end logic puzzles?

gently caress I am so bad at those things

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Heh, just saw this wall of text of "requirements" on a random job posting.

quote:

7+ years experience in software development and/or system administration
3-5+ years experience in administering cloud based application and platforms
Strong programming experience and knowledge in .NET, Powershell, XML, Java, JavaScript, PHP, Shell, Perl, Ruby, SQL
Working knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems
Working knowledge of Database Platforms (MSSQL 2005, 2008, 2012, MySQL)
Working knowledge of server applications (AD, IIS, Sharepoint, Tomcat)
Ability to install and configure various operating systems, databases, and applications, particularly MS Windows, MS SQL, and supporting utilities
Experience with public cloud providers including Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Experience with automating high availability and disaster recovery strategies
Experience with automated deployment technologies
Experience automating Linux and Windows OS/patch lifecycle
Experience with enterprise monitoring and management tools
Experience with configuration management tools (cfEngine, puppet, etc)
Experience with TFS a plus
Solid understanding of TCP/IP networking and Internet protocols
Diverse range of technical and operational interests and capabilities, including Microsoft, Java/J2EE, Ruby on Rails, LAMP, MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, virtualization, monitoring, automation technologies
Ability to work in high pressure, highly flexible environment against both short and long term requirements
Passionate about technology and solving IT operations-focused problems
Must be detail oriented, task driven, and have excellent communication skills.
Ability to work effectively with staff, peers, and others in and outside the organization to accomplish goals, objectives and to identify and resolve problems
Start-up experience preferred

They want an experienced developer, sysadmin, Windows and Linux guy, MSSQL/MySQL and Oracle experience, solid developer in like 8+ languages, solid in networking and TCP/IP, etc., all in one. Good luck.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

boho posted:

LA also sucks and the cost of living is astronomical, even if you try to commute.

Their cost of living isn't so bad. To be fair I'm posting from the Bay Area.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
FamDav you sure do have a hard-on for ritualism in your interviews.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

FamDav you sure do have a hard-on for ritualism in your interviews.

i think asking something like these questions during interviews is pretty silly. i much prefer looking at something you've done and hearing about problems on which you've worked.

however, a lot of what people have worked on is just not particularly interesting to me. It's great that you've built 30 different blogs and a tic-tac-toe player, but that doesnt really tell me about your ability to solve more complex problems. so i end up giving you a quantitative reasoning problem, or an algorithms question, or a systems design question. if you don't want me to have to judge you by this metric, then maybe you should make something that is actually interesting.

and these questions are still fun to solve :3:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pilsner posted:

Heh, just saw this wall of text of "requirements" on a random job posting.

They want an experienced developer, sysadmin, Windows and Linux guy, MSSQL/MySQL and Oracle experience, solid developer in like 8+ languages, solid in networking and TCP/IP, etc., all in one. Good luck.

drat, I can accomplish goals, but I cant accomplish objectives. Guess I'm out.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Pilsner posted:

Basically an experienced full-stack devops who has worked in both the Linux and MS ecosystems. They're not impossible to find, but I don't know how much cash you'd have to shower someone with to have him join. Probably a lot. Which of course companies are never willing to pay, so that job posting will stay open forever.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

FamDav posted:

and these questions are still fun to solve :3:

If stupid loving logic puzzles like this are your thing you should check out What Is the Name of This Book?, it is full of those awful loving things. If anyone's interested I could type some of the harder (all of them?) ones out and put them in a thread or something.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It seems like on these puzzles that saying "this seems like an inductive solution" would buy you 75% of the points with just those six words.

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

Ithaqua posted:

I had an interview scheduled for this afternoon. When I woke up this morning, I felt like poo poo and had a fever, so I emailed the recruiter to reschedule. The recruiter emailed me back and let me know that the company wasn't interested in rescheduling. That seemed pretty weird. I've rescheduled interviews before and never had that happen. I'm guessing they thought I was borderline and decided that I was too much of a pain in the rear end.

You're over-thinking this.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Basically an experienced full-stack devops who has worked in both the Linux and MS ecosystems. They're not impossible to find, but I don't know how much cash you'd have to shower someone with to have him join. Probably a lot. Which of course companies are never willing to pay, so that job posting will stay open forever.

Very likely in Silicon Valley where they put out advertisements in movie theatres for Hadoop engineers.

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

Zero The Hero posted:

Send me your resume.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Pilsner posted:

Could be wishful thinking on their part, could be someone crucial quit/retired and they listed his resume as their requirements in the hopes they'll get a drop-in replacement instead of thinking about what they actually require, could be a H1B regulation circumvention ad.

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

etcetera08 posted:

How do you put being laid off on your resume vs getting fired? :negative:

Graduated college in December, had this job for 6 months, got laid off yesterday. I feel like only having 6 months of experience and then suddenly unemployed looks really bad but nothing I could have done :(

Focus on your contributions!!!!!

If you did nothing in 6 months, that is what you should panic about, and you have yourself to blame. To dig yourself out, start hobby coding while unemployed and get mercilessly good at something you like doing in technology. Learn and churn..

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Could be wishful thinking on their part, could be someone crucial quit/retired and they listed his resume as their requirements in the hopes they'll get a drop-in replacement instead of thinking about what they actually require, could be a H1B regulation circumvention ad.

LOL at the visa comments. All the Indian developers I work with always tell me how it is cultural in India to put as many technologies as possible on a resume. When I worked at Fidelity almost all my coworkers were Indians and they were jealous of my breadth of knowledge, never mind my lack of depth and the fact I am not a master at anything in particular.

I would say that there are a lot of mediocre developers out there, and that this company is simply trying to dissuade mediocre developers from applying. We do this, too, albeit we do it differently -- we come out straight away and say we want the person who has been coding since before they had a car. We just hired a kid who is 21 and dropped out of college his first week there, and he knows C# ridiculously well - he could write a C# compiler if he wanted to, and has already written a C# disassembler for fun.

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

kitten smoothie posted:

It seems like on these puzzles that saying "this seems like an inductive solution" would buy you 75% of the points with just those six words.

LOL. I actually used that line once in an interview and it totally gained me points even though it was an irrelevant statement. The question was, Have you ever heard of the Rule of 72 and, if so, why does it work so well? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_72 I was interviewing for an algorithmic trading shop that operated a dark pool.

I did a whole bunch of other crazy things during the interview that I was SURE would kill my chances for a call back, and sure enough, I was the only candidate in months who they had given a second round to. The major key was that I was supremely confident in my answers to the point where I got the interviewer doubting if he really knew the best solution to a problem. Oh, man, good times.

The second round was far less successful because I had an allergy attack during the interview.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
If we're going to discuss logic puzzles now, could we at least discuss ones that aren't absurdly trivial?

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt
God rested on the 7th day, and Sam Reid Hughes put petals around the rose.

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

I was under the impression that logic puzzles on interviews were on their way out. Is this not so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

If we're going to discuss logic puzzles now, could we at least discuss ones that aren't absurdly trivial?

the third one was meant to be less trivial