Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anyone that complains about noise from US aircraft should have a bear circle their house for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pre WW2 airport, that neighbourhood has been around for about 5 years, and they are still trying to get the airport shut down.

Also at YVR there is a neighbourhood called Burkeville that is in between the two runways, I'd seriously consider a place there because I work out of the airport or fly out so much.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

PhotoKirk posted:

Loudest Brit plane I ever heard was a Nimrod. I think the Nimrod offends every one of the five senses.

Nimrods were loud, but not a patch on the Vulcan when it was still in service (XH558 is flown very conservatively these days), it offended senses 6, 7, 8 and 9 as well...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
http://gizmodo.com/the-scary-passengers-eye-view-from-inside-the-crashed-926122351

Haha stupid pilots.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do they ever really close airports because of noise complaints? Closest I've seen is buying up people's houses instead.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

What the gently caress. Maybe the PIC coughed and slammed the yoke forward.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

smackfu posted:

Do they ever really close airports because of noise complaints? Closest I've seen is buying up people's houses instead.

MCAS Tustin and El Toro?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

smackfu posted:

It's community political tug of war but it does happen. Santa Barbara's airport is dealing with it right now I think.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jealous Cow posted:

What the gently caress. Maybe the PIC coughed and slammed the yoke forward.

I don't know what's worse. The Asiana crash where after a bit of info comes out you can piece together what the idiots did, or this, where you have no idea what happened and the info that comes out makes it even more weird.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

smackfu posted:

The popular plan is to introduce restrictive usage guidelines that strangle the Airport's ability to generate income then wait.

see:
Edmonton City Center
Billy Bishop, Toronto

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There's also the show up in the middle of the night with bulldozers approach.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

There's also the show up in the middle of the night with bulldozers approach.

Mayor Daley can suck a big fat cock.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

What a massive piece of poo poo. I wonder if any of the owners with planes there sued.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

MrYenko posted:

This was one of my favorite airports to fly in and out of in the old Microsoft Flight Simulator games.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Can't wait until the pilots union blames the crash on electrical inference from someone having their phone/camera on...

I burn with rage everything I hear the FA tell everyone to get back in their seats. Did she really think they were headed to the gate after that?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Jealous Cow posted:

What a massive piece of poo poo. I wonder if any of the owners with planes there sued.

Don't know about that, but the city ended up having to pay the FAA $1,033,000 ($33,000 in fines for closing the airport without giving the required 30 days notice to the FAA and $1,000,000 in misappropriated FAA-provided funds that were used to destroy the airport and build a park)

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Speaking of NIMBY's, that pretty much describes the city of Scottsdale, Arizona.

The airport there was built during WW2, and is one of the busiest single runway airports in the US. Because Scottsdale is largely occupied by rich assholes, they decided to build country clubs and McMansions as close to the airport as possible, and then proceeded to whine about the noise from the airplanes, which lead to voluntary noise abatement procedures going into effect. However, since there are quite a few corporations headquartered in Scottsdale that keep airplanes at the airport (and quite a few of the rich assholes like having private jets pick them up there), the airport hasn't faced any real threats of closure, and the land would be given back to the Seventh-day Adventist Church if the airport were to close, so developers would likely be unable to build there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Can't wait until the pilots union blames the crash on electrical inference from someone having their phone/camera on...

I burn with rage everything I hear the FA tell everyone to get back in their seats. Did she really think they were headed to the gate after that?

Don't be an idiot. The FA has a job to do in an emergency, and that job is not going to be helped by a hundred idiot passengers getting up and trying to get their luggage out of the lockers. The whole purpose of cabin crew is to safely evacuate passengers and deal with other emergencies in the back, not to look good and hurl biscuits, despite what people think. There's nothing worse than some oval office who thinks he's too important to do as he's told. If you're the kind of person who'd unbuckle and get up in that situation, I'd tell you to sit the gently caress down myself.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

What's the general response time for airport emergency vehicles. It seems impressive in that video.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

jaegerx posted:

What's the general response time for airport emergency vehicles. It seems impressive in that video.

I cant put a figure on it but its usually very quick. If they have an emergency aircraft coming in they pre-stage themselves which makes it even quicker. The one exception I've seen was when we were doing the field carrier landing pattern at NAF El Centro and we got a brake fire. I called the tower and told them we needed the crash crew and we waited...and waited. I called the tower again and finally the truck comes rolling out and disgorges 4 of the most ragtag looking individuals I've ever seen in my life.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

jaegerx posted:

I know someone who was crew on a 777 that made an emergency landing with a fire on board. It just so happened that the airport fire fighters were having a drill that day and were already out on the taxiway they pulled up to. Rather than put out the real fire on the real plane with hundreds of real people that was literally a few hundred feet away, they went back to their drill for another 10 minutes before someone asked them "what the gently caress?"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Wow. So follow up. In the case like the jet blue with broke nose gear that circled to burn fuel and they're prepared. Do they call everyone in including local fire emergency or just rely on who's on duty? I hope they call in everything but the national guard but the last 2 post are freaky.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

jaegerx posted:

Wow. So follow up. In the case like the jet blue with broke nose gear that circled to burn fuel and they're prepared. Do they call everyone in including local fire emergency or just rely on who's on duty? I hope they call in everything but the national guard but the last 2 post are freaky.

They aren't going to call anyone but the field's crash crew in most cases. To my knowledge your average FD isn't really equipped or trained to deal with aircraft emergencies. And believe me, my story was certainly the exception to the norm.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

They aren't going to call anyone but the field's crash crew in most cases. To my knowledge your average FD isn't really equipped or trained to deal with aircraft emergencies. And believe me, my story was certainly the exception to the norm.

I live in San Antonio which has brooks army medical base. I would hope that any emergency here contacts them since they deal with war wounds which are as traumatic I assume. Our airport is small though. Only handles 737 at the biggest I think.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

jaegerx posted:

I live in San Antonio which has brooks army medical base. I would hope that any emergency here contacts them since they deal with war wounds which are as traumatic I assume. Our airport is small though. Only handles 737 at the biggest I think.

Well I'm talking strictly about the fire department types. Medical will come from wherever they can get it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Should be anywhere on the airport in about 2-5 minutes at a major airport. Heathrow is 3 minutes, I think YYZ is similar.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

vulturesrow posted:

By and large the first people on scene will be the ARFF crews; there are guidelines as to how quickly they have to respond at large airports with dedicated fire crews. For testing purposes, 50% of the total firefighting capacity must be able to arrive at a pre-determined point on the airport (usually the midpoint of the furthest runway from the fire hall), and within four minutes all of it must be at said point. It would be a surprise if there was any point on an airport that would be more than five minutes away from the fire hall.

Depending on the nature of the emergency (if there is sufficient notice, for example), outside fire departments might be called. Often, they'll be there for stuff like triage/corpse duty, or if buildings become involved in the fire, but rarely for fighting an actual aircraft fire. Also, smaller airports that handle primarily light aircraft would likely use their local fire department for crash response.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

vulturesrow posted:

I know that it's not like this at Sky Harbor. The ARFF is certainly the main response, but they call in all kinds of outside units as well (it's all City of Phoenix FD regardless, just different stations). Depending on what the emergency is, they have different levels of alerts, which determines how much, and what kind of equipment is dispatched.

I imagine that the immediate fire-fighting response would be primarily the ARFF crews/trucks, with the off field responders providing support and medical (all the fire units in Phoenix are EMS of some level).

Also, at Sky Harbor, there are actually two separate fire stations, probably to provide faster response times everywhere.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 27, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Ferret King posted:

It's community political tug of war but it does happen. Santa Barbara's airport is dealing with it right now I think.

Random anecdote, but your post reminded me I lived next to that airport many years ago. After 9/11 planes were grounded for quite a while. The first time I heard a takeoff after that it freaked me out for a bit. I hadn't heard planes in a few weeks and it was just such a shock to hear one again for some reason.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Latest uploads from my dad's vintage airliner collection. These are taken at LGW (with a few from LHR) from 1979-1981. There's some really obscure types in there:

Note the Braniff 747SP behind the Northwest 747-200

Convair 990

BAe Trident II

Boeing 720

Fokker F-27. Also note the KLM DC-8 and the Dan-Air HS748 in the background

Dassault Mercure

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Some of those pictures look like they could easily have been taken much more recently.

Awesome shots!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

L-1011 :flashfap:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Axeman Jim posted:

Latest uploads from my dad's vintage airliner collection. These are taken at LGW (with a few from LHR) from 1979-1981. There's some really obscure types in there:

Note the Braniff 747SP behind the Northwest 747-200

Convair 990

BAe Trident II

Boeing 720

Dassault Mercure

These pictures are ridiculously awesome. Thanks!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Axeman Jim posted:

Don't forget the Biman Bangladesh 707! Rocking collection you've got there.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Axeman Jim posted:

Convair 990

Convair 990. :flashfap: :flashfap: :flashfap:

Axeman Jim posted:

Dassault Mercure

I have never seen nor heard of this aircraft. It looks like the 737-200's wimpy little brother.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

ausgezeichnet posted:

I have never seen nor heard of this aircraft. It looks like the 737-200's wimpy little brother.
It was meant as exactly that, a European (French) competitor to the 737, with slightly larger capacity and the same engines (JT8D). In true Dassault tradition it was a fine aircraft and very fast, but sadly the only version produced (15 built or thereabouts) suffered from rather anemic fuel capacity, only good for flying from one end of France to the other, which made it slightly useless for flying internationally (I'm surpised it made it to Heathrow, actually)

An updated version with larger fuel capacity was proposed to interest larger airlines and even a version with CFM56s was offered, but the parties involved were unwilling to invest the money required to build the improved versions and that was that. Air Inter crews that flew it called it the "Air Inter fighter", and they kept flying it until the mid 1990s.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 27, 2013

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
If anyone feels like reading a horrific crash report, the GCAA put out their findings on UPS6

62. The Captain requests oxygen from the F.O. several times over approximately one minute. The First
Officer due to possible task saturation was not able to assist the Captain.

63. The oxygen requirement of the Captain became critical, the Captain removes the oxygen mask and
separate smoke goggles and leaves the seat to look for the supplementary oxygen. The Captain did
not return. The Captain was in distress locating the supplementary oxygen bottle and could not
locate it before being overcome by the fumes.

:smith:

gently caress inflight fires.

http://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/ePublicat...2013%202010.pdf

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Tsuru posted:

It was meant as exactly that, a European (French) competitor to the 737, with slightly larger capacity and the same engines (JT8D). In true Dassault tradition it was a fine aircraft and very fast, but sadly the only version produced (15 built or thereabouts) suffered from rather anemic fuel capacity, only good for flying from one end of France to the other, which made it slightly useless for flying internationally (I'm surpised it made it to Heathrow, actually)

An updated version with larger fuel capacity was proposed to interest larger airlines and even a version with CFM56s was offered, but the parties involved were unwilling to invest the money required to build the improved versions and that was that. Air Inter crews that flew it called it the "Air Inter fighter", and they kept flying it until the mid 1990s.

I believe total production was one prototype and eleven series production aircraft. Capacity was something like 140, a bit shy of the A320. Just by visiting two examples on static display outside Paris Orly and at the Musee de Air at Le Bourget, I've seen 16% of all the Dassault Mercures ever made personally.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Also, I forgot to show this thread any of my Paris Air Show pics.

Patrouille de France.

I hadn't seen a fighter demo in years so this thing was quite the ear-opener.

I'm sure this made sense at the time.

One of very few flying demos I caught was the P-38. Beautiful, didn't have my camera out though.

Would have loved better weather, but what can you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Those are great shots. Thanks for sharing!