Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
The 70D is the replacement to the 60D, not the 7D.

Also, I don't really think the Nikon AF systems are all that great. They always cluster their cross-type AF points in the center.

And hell, their best AF system still has less cross-type sensors than the Canon 7D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Didn't know that about the Nikon, that's a good point. After what Canon did with the 6D I'm honestly surprised they upgraded the AF system at all.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If you want good AF in a not outrageously priced body you should be buying a pentax anyways.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-0-5-6-IS-II-Telephoto-Zoom-Lens-for-Digital-SLR-Camera-/390617361238

Worth it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nah just save until you can afford this guy:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561308

edit: oh snap that's the IS version. That's a crazy price.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah definitely. 140 bux is nothing for that lens.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
The 7D AF has a noticeably wider spread of cross AF points than the D7000/D7100 and the center AF point is a high precision double cross AF point, which promises more accurate AF for lenses faster tha f2.8. I would say it is still very competitive against the D7100 AF.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The 70D is the replacement to the 60D, not the 7D.

Also, I don't really think the Nikon AF systems are all that great. They always cluster their cross-type AF points in the center.

And hell, their best AF system still has less cross-type sensors than the Canon 7D.

Yup! This exactly. The 7D's autofocus kicks the crap out of what the 60D had, and it's exactly why you bring those features out in a flagship and trickle them down over time. The 60D works plenty well, but the 70D would look weak without an improvement in that regard, wouldn't it? And if the AF has gotten cheap enough to hit your x0D price-point, then it makes perfect sense.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
If I'm jonesing for a 70-200, which one do I buy? Is IS very necessary or can I live without it. My intention is to use it for portraits as well as event photography where I want some distance to the subject. I don't see myself shooting sports or wildlife.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

bolind posted:

If I'm jonesing for a 70-200, which one do I buy? Is IS very necessary or can I live without it. My intention is to use it for portraits as well as event photography where I want some distance to the subject. I don't see myself shooting sports or wildlife.
Get the 55-250 I just linked to. It's basically half price for a very capable telephoto.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Remo posted:

The 7D AF has a noticeably wider spread of cross AF points than the D7000/D7100 and the center AF point is a high precision double cross AF point, which promises more accurate AF for lenses faster tha f2.8. I would say it is still very competitive against the D7100 AF.
Yeah if you're going to pick a camera to argue the "Canon has inferior AF" point, maybe don't pick the camera that's both affordable and quick/accurate.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

bolind posted:

If you're going to be doing indoor events such as weddings a lot, go all in on the f/2.8 IS, otherwise the f/4 IS (the one I have) is stellar as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wario In Real Life posted:

Get the 55-250 I just linked to. It's basically half price for a very capable telephoto.

That you'll outgrow in about a year if you shoot any kind of action.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah if you're going to pick a camera to argue the "Canon has inferior AF" point, maybe don't pick the camera that's both affordable and quick/accurate.

Ok maybe I should rephrase the argument as 70D AF vs D7100 AF. At the very least its no longer as bad as the huge gap in AF between the 60D and the D7000.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

xzzy posted:

That you'll outgrow in about a year if you shoot any kind of action.

So you use it in a year and then flip it to fund whatever you think you need now that you know what you need.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Remo posted:

Ok maybe I should rephrase the argument as 70D AF vs D7100 AF. At the very least its no longer as bad as the huge gap in AF between the 60D and the D7000.
I was agreeing with you, sorry about the misunderstanding. There's plenty of not-quite-capable (beyond shooting static subjects) AF modules in both Nikon and Canon's lineup, but both the 7D and D7k families are pretty good.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
I have a 1100D, I had it for a week. Been pleased with it, comfortable to use, good pictures and so on. But it was slightly overpriced.

After I discovered a deal on the local shop today I decided to return the camera and made another purchase.
There where two interesting deals.

Canon 600D
With two lenses, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III and EF 75-300mm f/4-5,6 III.
I would also get a photo printer.

Price: $550

Canon 100D
With one lens, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM.
I would get a 50% discount on a lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
It's also noteworthy that they had made an error in the store, marking the the camera $100 under it's real price at $550.
$450 for the camera kit + $100 for the extra lens.

My former camera, to compare the price.

Canon 1100D
With one lens, EF-S 18-55mm f/3,5-5,6 III.
16B memory card and a bag was included in that package.

Price: $350

My original plan was to go to the store and buy the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens for $200, making my current investment into the 1100D to $550.
The change was a no brainer.

I went with the deal for Canon 100D.

Should I have gone with the Canon 600D deal?

I can still return the 100D, but I really believe I will need the image stabilizing functionality in the lenses I got to the 100D.

erephus fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 26, 2013

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

erephus posted:

I have a 1100D, I had it for a week. Been pleased with it, comfortable to use, good pictures and so on. But it was slightly overpriced.

After I discovered a deal on the local shop today I decided to return the camera and made another purchase.
There where two interesting deals.

Canon 600D
With two lenses, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III and EF 75-300mm f/4-5,6 III.
I would also get a photo printer.

Canon 100D
With one lens, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM.
I would get a 50% discount on a lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
It's also noteworthy that they had made an error in the store, marking the the camera $100 under it's real price at $550.
$450 for the camera kit + $100 for the extra lens.

My former camera, to compare the price.

Canon 1100D
With one lense, EF-S 18-55mm f/3,5-5,6 III.
16B memory card and a bag was included in that package.

Price: $350

My original plan was to go to the store and buy the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lense for $200, making my current investment into the 1100D to $550.
The change was a no brainer.

I went with the deal for Canon 100D.

Should I have gone with the Canon 600D deal?

I can still return the 100D, but I really believe I will need the image stabilizing functionality in the lenses I got to the 100D.

Yes, because your weight ratio is off because of the 100D's size and weight. :v:

Glad you noted the thread title and returned the 1100D.

Did you hold either of the cameras in your hand before purchasing? Here's a high-level breakdown of features between the two cameras. The 600D was released in 2011, the 100D in 2013. The 100D does have a newer sensor which is not in the 600D, 650D or 700D models.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon-EOS-100D

If you have large hands, you might end up disliking the ergonomics of the 100D during prolonged usage. It is the smallest DSLR made to date by any manufacturer. But really with either, for starters, you are going to be in good shape.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

geeves posted:

Yes, because your weight ratio is off because of the 100D's size and weight. :v:

Glad you noted the thread title and returned the 1100D.

Did you hold either of the cameras in your hand before purchasing? Here's a high-level breakdown of features between the two cameras. The 600D was released in 2011, the 100D in 2013. The 100D does have a newer sensor which is not in the 600D, 650D or 700D models.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon-EOS-100D

If you have large hands, you might end up disliking the ergonomics of the 100D during prolonged usage. It is the smallest DSLR made to date by any manufacturer. But really with either, for starters, you are going to be in good shape.

Thank you for the link, now at least I don't feel that I'm missing out on any features.

I never thougth of holding any of the cameras before I bougth them. This time I was to perplexed over the price when I realised what would end up to have spent for the 1100D. I didn't realise that the 100D was the smallest DSLR until I made a quick google after I bought it.

I was thinking about the small size of the box when I walked out from the store.

I do have somewhat small hands but even the 1100D felt small in my hands, both feels equally good to use. On the right hand I have moved my index finger to the scroll wheel and the middle finger to the trigger button, I can squeeze in middle to little fingor on the hand grip if I want. The fingers on the left hand will overlap/touch the fingers on the right hand when resting the camera on my palm and gripping the zoom ring on the lens. I can't remember if that was the same on the 1100D as I took up this camera to test and to notice how I hold it.

It's tight but holding it feels ok to what I remember and to compare with the 1100D.

The 600D have a screen that can be moved it feels like a good feature.

The 100D have a touch screen, I can pinch zoom, swipe scroll and if it wasn't a coincidence giving me a false impression I can press on the screen where I want the camera to focus.

I liked the button placement on the 1100D more, 100D have spread them more on the back.

If it's how it feels to hold concerning the size and the LCD that that makes them apart, 600D vs 100D, I'm feeling more confident that I made a good choice this time around. Perhaps adding the new hybrid CMOS AF II thing and Digic 5, perhaps I should be even more confident.

(Yeah, I realise how much crap the LCD on the 1100D is at this point.)

erephus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 26, 2013

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bolind posted:

I'm selling my non is 2.8 in the sale thread.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm not really in the US, so I think that would be more trouble than it's worth...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The 100D will probably give you the most usage in that it will make a great travel and backup camera even if you upgrade later to something higher in the Canon line. Also, photo printers aren't that great a bonus because it doesn't cost that much to get prints made at a store but god help you if you if you're printing your own prints and you run out of ink and don't have refillable cartridges.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
The 100D is so small I can fit both the camera and a lens in the bag I got for the 1100D, if I'm not carrying the lens I can put the camera in any direction I want inside the bag.

But I'm getting a new, bigger and better bag.

Edit: Spelling errors, lense

erephus fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 26, 2013

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

erephus posted:

The 100D is so small I can fit both the camer and a lense in the bag I got for the 1100D, if I'm not carrying the lense I can put the camera in any direction I want inside the bag.

But I'm getting a new, bigger and better bag.

This post contributes nothing to your question, but it's lens, not lense. Sorry, that spelling error just drives me nuts.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The 100D may be handy to stuff away, and while I don't have large man hands, something the size of a 60D/6D/70D feels the best to me as amateur. If one can't afford an 70D, he should definitely consider an used 60D over a new Rebel camera.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Even if the ergonomics don't make the case for the 60D (they should), get it for the better viewfinder, second control dial and most of all the top lcd.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
DP's got a hands on with the 70D. (No idea if this is actually new, but Google says it's from today)

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Just stopping in to say I borrowed my friend's 24-70 f2.8l and I love it so far.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
My wife and I just bought a Rebel T5i with the larger lens package. Good first DSLR? We're absolute nubs to "real" photography, but want to throw ourselves into it in time for a big trip to Iceland and some family events coming up later this year. Right now it's study time, but I'd appreciate any advice towards additional gear that our particular set should need as we develop. Is this something we can learn on our own or should we look up a class?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

King Bahamut posted:

My wife and I just bought a Rebel T5i with the larger lens package. Good first DSLR? We're absolute nubs to "real" photography, but want to throw ourselves into it in time for a big trip to Iceland and some family events coming up later this year. Right now it's study time, but I'd appreciate any advice towards additional gear that our particular set should need as we develop. Is this something we can learn on our own or should we look up a class?

Go find a copy of Understanding Exposure and read that, and go from there.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

King Bahamut posted:

Personally I found one of the extended manuals very helpful. Something like this:

It fills in more detail about the features on the camera, especially with more context in why you'd want to use certain things.

That and Understanding Exposure, and you'll be in pretty good shape. Otherwise, get lens hoods for your lenses if you don't already have them and spare batteries and cards so you can keep shooting.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mr. Despair posted:

Go find a copy of Understanding Exposure and read that, and go from there.

Thirding this. Understanding Exposure is what made photography "click" for me.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Seamonster posted:

Even if the ergonomics don't make the case for the 60D (they should), get it for the better viewfinder, second control dial and most of all the top lcd.

If that's directed at me, my choice where between the 600D and the 100D camera. The 60D and getting another lens is out of my budget at this moment. While I realise that I may be spending even more, in the end getting better lenses than I have now and perhaps further down the road a better camera.

Looking over a few years I might perhaps end up to have spent twice amount of money that I would have if I've started out with, let's say a 60D and comparable better lenses than I started out with today. I kind of move on and let former investments be forgotten, what I spend today will be forgotten tomorrow. (The store made a mistake when selling me the 100D, it was $100 less than their real price, the cashier let me have it for the lesser price when he discovered it. Price difference went from $200 to $300 when comparing to the 60D.)

I just hope that my choice of the 100D is a good starter camera and that for this time I made the right choice. When I first bought the 1100D, it was a bad choice. Not only for it being gimped as I understand it but also for what I got for my money.

These cameras in the starter line from Canon, 1100D, 600D, 100D and the other models. Canon places the 100D as the next "1100D", why, it's almost like they are telling me that the next upgrade in this starter line is 600D or 700D. It makes me curious of what I am missing. The quality off the photos should be equal, the settings are similar and from what I believe the 100D is not as intentionally gimped as the 1100D was.
Or am I completely wrong there?

I have been going back and forth with returning the 100D and take the 600D because of that the 600D have already proven it self to be a good camera.

erephus fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 27, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've had a 600D for a couple of years now, it's a very good camera, great for video. If you add a vertical grip, which you can get cheap enough on eBay, it feels much better in your hand. As it is, my fingers hang off the bottom of the 600D and this makes it feel awkward so I always use the grip.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Newest rumor about that mythical 75MP sensor is that it's actually a 25MP non-Bayer sensor, based on their multilayer patent (i.e. capturing all colors a la Foveon), and some jerk in between the telephone game having inflated the number by interpreting things wrong.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

erephus posted:

I have been going back and forth with returning the 100D and take the 600D because of that the 600D have already proven it self to be a good camera.

If it makes you feel better, dpreview just released their review of the 100D and were pretty impressed.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've had a 600D for a couple of years now, it's a very good camera, great for video. If you add a vertical grip, which you can get cheap enough on eBay, it feels much better in your hand. As it is, my fingers hang off the bottom of the 600D and this makes it feel awkward so I always use the grip.

This, especially if you have a long day of shooting, it will fit better in your hands, and the dual batteries give you extra long shooting time. Also your portrait photos will be less likely to have a diagonal horizon.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Newest rumor about that mythical 75MP sensor is that it's actually a 25MP non-Bayer sensor, based on their multilayer patent (i.e. capturing all colors a la Foveon), and some jerk in between the telephone game having inflated the number by interpreting things wrong.

It would be the best thing if canon just started buying foveon sensors.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Foveon has even less of a dynamic range than the current Canon sensors. And they still haven't managed to create a 35mm one, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Foveon has even less of a dynamic range than the current Canon sensors. And they still haven't managed to create a 35mm one, either.

Please don't rain on my sigma parade.