Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Paracelsus posted:

I forget the name, but there was some jrpg from a few years back where one of the four generals of the kingdom you were fighting for was a woman in her mid-40s but still a badass. I think she had a scar across her face and used a battleaxe of some sort.

The Last Remnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
Replaying FFIX and just realized all the letters in Freya are also in Fratley. I'm not sure if that's a bizarre coincidence or a really, really impressive localization.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hey, just in case anyone's interested, there're going to be live speedruns of Final Fantasy IV and V this Sunday as part of SGDQ. Looks like the FFV run's going to be at about 3:00 AM Eastern and the IV run's going to be at about 6 PM Eastern. It's also worth noting that one of the donation prizes during I think the FF5 run is a Cactuar plushie, and that all donations are going to Doctors Without Borders. Schedule's here and the stream's here.

Also even if you don't feel like getting up in the middle of the night to watch a man play a video game, you should check out SGDQ, it both owns and is supporting a great cause.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I just finished FFD too. 2 Phantom Rushers, a damage limit-breaking Gigaflare (:allears:), a Jlvl 20 seer and a Jlvl 20 Dragoon. Eat poo poo Matrix.
I still like Alba, sorry guys :shobon:
FFD2: Glaive and Alba's excellent adventure sounds fun :colbert:
I didn't like Diana though. It's like the writers realized what a non-entity she was for the whole story and gave her crystal senses to make up for it. Sarah turned out to be pretty cool though. Why she didn't end up with Sol is beyond me. I guess it's writers doing the whole "first girl childhood friend wins" thing. :sigh:

The game has some cool concept art, but it sadly didn't translate into sprite form all that well.

I am eternally grateful to the men who saw fit to put the Auto button in the game along with Flee and the Moogle Charm. I don't mind Final Fantasy's random encounters, but these ones are far more frequent and feature a ridiculous amount of status effects. Seriously guys, not every encounter has to be a challenge. I'd prefer if most weren't.

So yeah. Wasn't a waste of money, I had fun, could be better, etc...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eons long jrpg runs are by far the worst to watch so gently caress that noise. They bring the money in but I'd rather find some paint to watch dry.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I feel the same way, but hey, obviously someone out there likes watching them. Figured I'd at least pass the word along.

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013

Fungah! posted:

Hey, just in case anyone's interested, there're going to be live speedruns of Final Fantasy IV and V this Sunday as part of SGDQ. Looks like the FFV run's going to be at about 3:00 AM Eastern and the IV run's going to be at about 6 PM Eastern. It's also worth noting that one of the donation prizes during I think the FF5 run is a Cactuar plushie, and that all donations are going to Doctors Without Borders. Schedule's here and the stream's here.

Also even if you don't feel like getting up in the middle of the night to watch a man play a video game, you should check out SGDQ, it both owns and is supporting a great cause.

I'm so in on that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I still need to finish Dimensions one of these days. Not so much for the gameplay, but rather to see how much worse the story gets.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Eh, I'll say that the story does improve, for certain definitions of improve. I thought it improved, but it's still Final Fantasy: Dimensions, so...

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I have never gotten very far in FFXIII because I absolutely hate the combat system. Does anyone have any edited save files from the beginning or near the beginning of the game that have maxed out characters or something? I just want to see the story, even if it's apparently really bad.

I miss the old combat systems for Final Fantasy...

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

GoGoGadget posted:

I have never gotten very far in FFXIII because I absolutely hate the combat system. Does anyone have any edited save files from the beginning or near the beginning of the game that have maxed out characters or something? I just want to see the story, even if it's apparently really bad.

I miss the old combat systems for Final Fantasy...

I too miss mashing "Attack" to get through random encounters and fighting bosses that can't be affected by a good majority of the spells at your disposal... :allears:

But seriously, I'm not even sure how people who love XII's battle system can hate XIII's. It is pretty much the definition of 'streamlined' ATB. It got rid of all the unnecessary stuff, maybe even too much so.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

ShadeofDante posted:

I too miss mashing "Attack" to get through random encounters and fighting bosses that can't be affected by a good majority of the spells at your disposal... :allears:

But seriously, I'm not even sure how people who love XII's battle system can hate XIII's. It is pretty much the definition of 'streamlined' ATB. It got rid of all the unnecessary stuff, maybe even too much so.

I hated XII's too (then again, I don't really remember XII...I read on here about that game having jobs like monk but I don't remember that at all). How is "change to this paradigm to stagger, then this one to do damage, and sometimes this one if you take too much damage" any better than the previous systems? At least then you could control each character. It may not even be the paradigm thing that bothers me the most, I think it's just how fast everything goes and the feeling of not having control of what my characters are doing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GoGoGadget posted:

I hated XII's too (then again, I don't really remember XII...I read on here about that game having jobs like monk but I don't remember that at all).
That was the IZJS rerelease, which added a million great things.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
FF5 is still the best FF gameplay wise. Everything is useful! Bosses are affected by status effects! All your crazy dumb builds will work!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best FF gameplay wise is Chocobo Racing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The worst Final Fantasy is all of them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

The worst Final Fantasy is all of them.

FF1: No complexity in the characters
FF2: David Bowie doesn't win
FF3: The Cloud of Darkness transforms into a monster for no reason
FF4: Japan likes it a lot, but I don't
FF5: THE CHARACTERS ARE TOO SIMPLE
FF6: Sephiroth's better
FF7: Nuh-uh, Kefka is
FF8: Guys Guys Guys, everyone knows 7 is the best Final Fantasy
FF9: Nope, it's 8, go talk to a wall
FF10: Blitzball is the only good part of the game
FF11: MMO AND ONLINE ONLY GRRRRR
FF12: It's a movie
FF13: FFXIII :(
FF14: ONLINE AND MMO AGAIN?! AND LIGHTNING IS IN IT?
FF15: Boy bands and cologne

See? Every one is the worst, play a good JRPG series like Xenogears.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Funniest part of the post. Play the DBZ mmo instead.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I've found pleny of save editors for the Xbox version but I can't find any for the PS3 version. If I download a save off of GameFAQs I can't save the game again so those are completely pointless...I guess I'm just not going to play the game. Why do they have to make it so hard to cheat these days? Who the gently caress cares about trophies?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GoGoGadget posted:

I've found pleny of save editors for the Xbox version but I can't find any for the PS3 version. If I download a save off of GameFAQs I can't save the game again so those are completely pointless...I guess I'm just not going to play the game. Why do they have to make it so hard to cheat these days? Who the gently caress cares about trophies?

You could just man up and play the game? Or watch some youtube LP to enjoy the fantastic story.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
What are the odds of the IZJS version of XII coming stateside at some point? It's already kind of odd that XII is like the only FF that isn't on the PSN (aside from III which I've pretty much given up on every being able to play legally). X isn't up there either, but they are making an HD remake so that makes sense. Hopefully that means they are planning a re-release of XII as well. I've always wanted to play it, but everyone says the International version is just miles ahead.

Honey Badger fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 27, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Honey Badger posted:

What are the odds of the IZJS version of XII coming stateside at some point? It's already kind of odd that XII is like the only FF that isn't on the PSN (aside from III which I've pretty much given up on every being able to play legally). X isn't up there either, but they are making an HD remake so that makes sense. Hopefully that means they are planning a re-release of XII as well. I've always wanted to play it, but everyone says the International version is just miles ahead.

Probably never really. XII didn't do so hot in Japan which is likely one reason why IZJS was only for Japan while FFX is still getting a HD release because it's one of their best selling titles.

There's nothing wrong with playing the base version - the International does a lot of good stuff for the gameplay, but Original is still pretty darn good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honey Badger posted:

It FFX sells well they'll likely do FFXII and it will likely be IJS. Otherwise it isn't likely. FFXII was one of their most controversial games and while it has people who really like it, it also has people who really hate it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

Otherwise it isn't likely. [INSERT FF HERE] was one of their most controversial games and while it has people who really like it, it also has people who really hate it.

But yeah, probably depends on how FFX does. Then again, it seemed to take them years to make some new character models and clean up the textures, so don't hold your breath for an HD XII any time soon.

That said, the english patch makes it (relatively) easy to play the IZJS version if you can't read Japanese.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
It's only available on PS2 (or older PS3s) right? Is it an official patch? And aren't PS2 games region-locked?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

It's a Japanese version of the game (With English voices, I believe but Japanese menus) with added content, balance changes, and an essential "fast-forward" mechanic. As the PS2 is indeed region locked, that's officially where it ends.

UNofficially, however, fans on the internet created a patching tool where you can take a ripped copy of the North American version, a ripped copy of the Japanese version, and smoosh them together to create an english version of the game with all the added content. Because the result is (a third) digital copy, the only way to play it is either on a softmodded PS2 that plays ripped game files, or using a PS2 emulator on PC.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

ShadeofDante posted:

13's battle system does a great job of paring ATB (Final Fantasy battles in general, really) to the basics. Those basics, however, are frantic, shallow, and pointless. They're like paperwork blown up to the scale and bombast of epic cartoon fantasy. They're like being the guy in the movie Metropolis whose job is to point the enormous clock hands at arbitrarily blinking lights.

I mean the whole idea of ATB is the friction between "game time," the little meters filling up for turns, and "real time," how long it actually takes you to enter commands. Making decisions faster gives you a real advantage. But those decisions are usually A) based on static information you may or may not have access to ("this guy is weak to X") or B) managing the simple HP tug of war based on how fast the enemies can do damage vs how fast you can heal. When you focus on that process, when you build a whole game around it, it's revealed as a game of clicking on the obviously correct input as quickly as possible, which is less like action or strategy than it is like working the register at loving McDonald's.

So to me, playing with the "unnecessary" stuff and getting it to do interesting poo poo is probably the most fun you can hve with the gameplay of a Final Fantasy game, and the games that are more conducive to that are maybe more interesting.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Bolded for emphasis, whether you were serious or not.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't understand the ability system of FF5 even after playing it about 8 times now. I know what abilities to assign to what characters, but not why. Like, what abilities increase what stats? I know Equip Axes gives that character the base strength of a Berserker, and the same for Barehanded, but I don't really know the rest.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Gologle posted:

I don't understand the ability system of FF5 even after playing it about 8 times now. I know what abilities to assign to what characters, but not why. Like, what abilities increase what stats? I know Equip Axes gives that character the base strength of a Berserker, and the same for Barehanded, but I don't really know the rest.

taken from the FF5 Algorithms FAQ

quote:

WHITE
Magic Power = White Mage Magic Power - 2 * (6 - White Mage Job Level)

BLACK
Magic Power = Black Mage Magic Power - 3 * (6 - Black Mage Job Level)

SUMMON
Magic Power = Summoner Magic Power - 4 * (5 - Summoner Job Level)

TIME
Magic Power = Time Mage Magic Power - 2 * (6 - Time Mage Job Level)

BLUE
Magic Power = Blue Mage Magic Power

RED
Magic Power = Red Mage Magic Power - (3 - Red Mage Job Level)
If Red Mage Job Level = 4, Magic Power = Red Mage Magic Power

DOUBLECAST
Magic Power = Red Mage Magic Power

SPELLBLADE
Magic Power = Mystic Knight Magic Power - 2 * (7 - Mystic Knight Job Level)
Strength = Mystic Knight Strength - 2 * (7 - Mystic Knight Job Level)

EQUIP SWORD
Strength = Knight Strength

EQUIP SPEAR
Strength = Dragoon Strength

EQUIP KATANA
Strength = Samurai Strength

EQUIP AXE
Strength = Berserker Strength

EQUIP BOW
Strength = Ranger Strength
Agility = Ranger Agility

EQUIP WHIP
Strength = Beastmaster Strength
Agility = Beastmaster Agility

EQUIP HARP
Magic Power = Bard Magic Power
Agility = Bard Agility

BAREHANDED
Strength = Monk Strength

DBL GRIP
Strength = 37 (applied before Character bonuses)

ARTFUL DODGER
Agility = Thief Agility

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oh wow, I feel like a dumbass now. I only used that FAQ for Omega and Shinryu's patterns, I had no idea it also contained Job and equipment info. Thanks.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

GoGoGadget posted:

At least then you could control each character. It may not even be the paradigm thing that bothers me the most, I think it's just how fast everything goes and the feeling of not having control of what my characters are doing.

Old Paradigm
Cast haste.
Spell X does most damage, use spell X.
Heal party.

That's control? You picked an obvious choice from a bloated list.

Controlling your characters in 13 isn't about the individual moves, it's about paradigm shifting.
It's the first FF that actually requires you to care what you are doing and changing it up, it just automates the mindless busy work part.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Old Paradigm
Cast haste.
Heal party.

That's control? You picked an obvious choice from a bloated list.

Controlling your characters in 13 isn't about the individual moves, it's about paradigm shifting.
It's the first FF that actually requires you to care what you are doing and changing it up, it just automates the mindless busy work part.

Eh, I think all FF oombat systems look better if you do low-level/gimmick runs where the more obscure moves look better than "do most damage."

That applies to FFXIII as well though as proper paradigm shifting and item usage can let even level 1 characters win most fights.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I liked FFX's combat system (pre-endgame min-maxing). Fights were turn-based and you knew who was going next from your party and the enemy party. You could either focus your attacks on the enemy going next or plan ahead and buff up to defend against the boss attacking later. You also saw how skills like Haste and Delay affected the turn orders, letting you make informed decisions about how you wanted to handle the fight.

Using certain skills also moved your turn order back, so sometimes you'd weigh the cost of using a limit break versus getting in a few more buffs first.

Of course lategame everything changes since you're all maxed out (or you went nuts and completely wiped your sphere grid and remade it) but that's pretty much every FF game. Resource management and strategy pretty much only exist early on. After that it's skill spamming and maybe item chugging if needed.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There's a lot of information about enemies in the older Final Fantasy games that could only be discovered by trial and error, or by using a guide. For example, the enemies' weaknesses to elements and status effects. Final Fantasy XIII makes it much easier to find out this information, because you're shown the enemy's health bar, and you can access all the information you need with the R1 button.

You also don't waste MP, a valuable resource, trying each and every spell to see which ones are effective. The only thing you can waste in XIII is time, so you're taking time from a purely damage-based role to add buffs, debuffs, defend, or heal. The enemies were switched up often enough that whatever you learned would become obsolete very quickly, and you would have to start from scratch in each area you entered.

I liked the combat in XIII because the fun was in the battle system itself, not the preparation and character building. However, there was nothing outside the battles that could really be described as gameplay. XIII-2 did nothing to solve this, because it just made the battles trivially easy, and replaced the boring non-battle segments with the most tedious poo poo ever imagined. There are great ideas in XIII's battle system, like the stagger system, and everything about the enemy being recorded as you discover it during battle, but it's really just a puzzle game like Meteos or Tetris Attack with a bunch of walking about and cutscenes in between.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The removal of MP is by far the best thing about FFXIII (and Birth by Sleep) and I really hope FFXV keeps it.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Do the later/current KH games have that weird menu system like I and II? That's the main thing I can see being a drag with XV.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
The postgame strategy in FF isn't figuring out how to use your maxed stats to humiliate bosses, but figuring out the most efficient path to getting maxed stats. I'm totally convinced that in FFX there's a way to max the sphere grid and defeat Penance in about 40 total gameplay hours.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bovineicide posted:

Do the later/current KH games have that weird menu system like I and II? That's the main thing I can see being a drag with XV.
Kinda. Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance have that same menu system, but commands have recharge times instead of MP costs, and as commands get used they fly back up to the top of the list and something new moves down. So, basically if you're quick about using commands you don't even really have to navigate the menu save if you wanna heal yourself immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bovineicide posted:

They have a menu system but it isn't the same.

Basically you slot in moves and use them in the order you have slotted in. They go on cooldown. You can also skip them, or use a shortcut combination to instantly access healing/buffs/whatever. It's mostly a matter of balancing cooldowns.

Xenogenesis posted:

The postgame strategy in FF isn't figuring out how to use your maxed stats to humiliate bosses, but figuring out the most efficient path to getting maxed stats. I'm totally convinced that in FFX there's a way to max the sphere grid and defeat Penance in about 40 total gameplay hours.

Neither of those is particularly hard. You can grind AP super-quickly by abusing certan enemies and Overdrive and Penance just gets Yojimbo'd.