Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

At first you think they're just dropping bombs on people. Then you take a closer look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The wrong way with 100-ton Urbanmechs. Beautiful.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It means they can make orbital insertions :ssh:

Toasted Marshmellow mechs.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
And when there aren't orbital insertions, always have Firestarter Mechs around.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I really like the idea that it's an idiot-proof sort of design, where the mediocre officers know all they have to do is sit tight in their ambush/area-denial location and wait for the enemy to be driven up to them, while the truly terrible officers try to give chase and are mercilessly shot to pieces - thus removing the inconvenient officer from the military.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Hmmm, this Suburban 'Mech seems like it would be a perfect fit for my lifestyle and appears to meet all my payload capacity needs. Additionally, it looks like it has a high safety rating for when I'm chaperoning the little ones to the battlefield. But I need to know more about its MPG. After all, in this downturned economy, I need to make sure I'm getting the most for my C-Bill.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

mercenarynuker posted:

Hmmm, this Suburban 'Mech seems like it would be a perfect fit for my lifestyle and appears to meet all my payload capacity needs. Additionally, it looks like it has a high safety rating for when I'm chaperoning the little ones to the battlefield. But I need to know more about its MPG. After all, in this downturned economy, I need to make sure I'm getting the most for my C-Bill.

Battletech mechs are literally fueled by tap water.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AtomikKrab posted:

Doesn't even have to be from a tap. You can use seawater if you want.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

That can be expensive in the right/wrong context.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Doesn't even have to be from a tap. You can use seawater if you want.

This has been puzzling me. Fusion engines still need fuel. So do Mechs carry tanks of hydrogen around (which could explain their tendency to explode)? Do pilots speak in a high voice if the engine is damaged and the helium is vented into the cockpit?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You're thinking about Battletech far too seriously. The hilarious degree in which the mechs are impractical is part of the charm.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

My understanding via Mechcommander manual- magnetohydrothermaldynamics. In other words, it uses magnets and pure water (pure-pure, only H2O and nothing else) to utilize fusion. I was gonna say 'cold fusion', but since it generates a lot of waste heat in the process that's a lie.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Paingod556 posted:

My understanding via Mechcommander manual- magnetohydrothermaldynamics. In other words, it uses magnets and pure water (pure-pure, only H2O and nothing else) to utilize fusion. I was gonna say 'cold fusion', but since it generates a lot of waste heat in the process that's a lie.

Cheap fusion, they don't need exotic stuff, just water to pour into the system. And a mech can go for several weeks on a single fill up, and yes they carry big tanks of concentrated hydrogen fuel if they think they need it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If you want to think even harder about it, they use the fusion energy to do hydrolysis and get hydrogen then fuse that for more power.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arcturas posted:

If you want to think even harder about it, they use the fusion energy to do hydrolysis and get hydrogen then fuse that for more power.

And this is not actually perpetual-motion because the amount of electricity you need to do hydrolysis is a lot less than the amount of power you get from fusing hydrogen nuclei. A lot less.

The handwaving, at least in terms of modern tech, is that they're evidently not using deuterium or tritium but plain old ordinary one-proton one-neutron hydrogen.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

And this is not actually perpetual-motion because the amount of electricity you need to do hydrolysis is a lot less than the amount of power you get from fusing hydrogen nuclei. A lot less.

The handwaving, at least in terms of modern tech, is that they're evidently not using deuterium or tritium but plain old ordinary one-proton one-neutron hydrogen.

You'd still need some energy to jumpstart the process before it becomes self-sufficient. A mech shut down in the wilderness either keeps using fuel or is not much more than a paperweight.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Leperflesh posted:

The most common isotope of hydrogen by far is a proton without any neutrons. You absolutely need deuterium (which is twice as big since it has a neutron) for fusion to be possible.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
BattleMech engines never actually shut down. They have a low-power mode, but a true "cold start" can take days.

They're also magic, and work because it's more awesome that way.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're also magic, and work because it's more awesome that way.

This. Battletech is magic. Same way Jumpships are so rare on paper but the economy doesn't actually collapse inside of a year and leave billions to die upon worlds without supplies.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Shoeless posted:

This. Battletech is magic. Same way Jumpships are so rare on paper but the economy doesn't actually collapse inside of a year and leave billions to die upon worlds without supplies.

Maybe people just eat less in the future.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The only supplies any planets actually need for self-sufficiency is water. If you're stuck using jumpships to transport water, you're doing it wrong.

... although I am reminded of a scenario Catalyst was interested in having someone write wherein some pirates steal a single tanker full of water from a neighboring planet to keep their planet going for another three months. :psyduck:

I seriously considered writing that one since it sounded like Mad Max Battletech.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

PoptartsNinja posted:

The only supplies any planets actually need for self-sufficiency is water. If you're stuck using jumpships to transport water, you're doing it wrong.

... although I am reminded of a scenario Catalyst was interested in having someone write wherein some pirates steal a single tanker full of water from a neighboring planet to keep their planet going for another three months. :psyduck:

I seriously considered writing that one since it sounded like Mad Max Battletech.

Presumably pirates would need that sort of thing, since they're not the types to do sustainable settlements or anything.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not too implausible if they have some modern tech recycling. You need quite a bit of water to get started but you don't use it up very fast at all. For that matter, hydrogen-hydrogen fusion is possible too, though a long way off for us.

There are plenty of other things that require facepalming about.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I thought water was still shipped primarily in ice form like it was in the days of the Ryan Cartel. Is that not a thing?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Are talking tanker truck, ship, spacecraft?

I mean, a cubic kilometre of pure water could probably keep a few tens of millions of people going for a few months without any recycling, but I'm pretty sure nothing in Battletech even comes close to that size.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

tanker truck

This one. As in, 18 wheeler.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well that's just special. I hope they got away with it because nobody could be bothered to waste the ammo stopping them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

I thought water was still shipped primarily in ice form like it was in the days of the Ryan Cartel. Is that not a thing?

I distinctly remember my least favorite set of missions in MW2 Mercs revolving around defending a massive ice chunk being shipped to a planet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Ryan Cartel is still a thing. Typically they just drop off a Dropship in a system and tell it to go haul comets from the Oort cloud for as long as the planet keeps sending them money. The danger of not paying is: the Dropship might get reassigned and who knows how long the waiting list for the next dropship might be?

... So you'd better pay triple our actual work cost. Because that's a nice planet you have there, and it'd be a shame if something happened to it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Ryan Cartel is still a thing. Typically they just drop off a Dropship in a system and tell it to go haul comets from the Oort cloud for as long as the planet keeps sending them money. The danger of not paying is: the Dropship might get reassigned and who knows how long the waiting list for the next dropship might be?

... So you'd better pay triple our actual work cost. Because that's a nice planet you have there, and it'd be a shame if something happened to it.

And if you go late on the payment, we might just forget to slow that comet down before it hits your planet...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ArchangeI posted:

And if you go late on the payment, we might just forget to slow that comet down before it hits your planet...

That's less "shady businessmen" and more "cartoonish super-villains".

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Is there really a difference in BT?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

paragon1 posted:

That's less "shady businessmen" and more "cartoonish super-villains".

I demand one million helicopters and one cbill!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ArchangeI posted:

I demand one million helicopters and one cbill!

You say that, but if the Lyrans had one million Yellowjackets they'd be dancing on the Pentagon Worlds right now.

Edit: Alright, leaving for my flight now. I intend to make time to do a political update while I'm on vacation (it may be several mini-updates with their own votes, I don't know yet), but I won't have means to get to a combat theater vote. Take your time with them!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 29, 2013

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The most common isotope of hydrogen by far is a proton without any neutrons. You absolutely need deuterium (which is twice as big since it has a neutron) for fusion to be possible.

Hydrogen-Hydrogen Fusion is definitely possible and is the main fusion process happening in the Sun. It isn't considered for RL fusion reactors because the heat/temperature requirements for H1-H1 fusion are even more insane than those for the various H2, H3, He3 chains so the reaction isn't particularly efficient. On top of that the product of H1-H1 is H2, which will promptly react with either H1 or other H2 to form three new products which will immediately decay/react with the rest of your reactor soup to form a whole pile of new poo poo, which reacts itself with ..., you get the idea.
Most of these reactions aren't even energetically efficient and are actively reducing the output of your reactor, which now contains every possible breed of Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium and Beryllium, some of which won't react further and need to be filtered out so they don't gum up your reactor.

Oh, and on top of that, massive radiation problem.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

Can we play as or against the Ryan Cartel? That'd be cool.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Domattee posted:

...physics...
Just out of interest, on what page of this thread did the phrase "physics is Lostech" first appear?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Endomorphic posted:

Just out of interest, on what page of this thread did the phrase "physics is Lostech" first appear?
Way back on page 226 is the first reference that I could find.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Endomorphic posted:

Here ya go:
e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Domattee posted:

Hydrogen-Hydrogen Fusion is definitely possible and is the main fusion process happening in the Sun. It isn't considered for RL fusion reactors because the heat/temperature requirements for H1-H1 fusion are even more insane than those for the various H2, H3, He3 chains so the reaction isn't particularly efficient. On top of that the product of H1-H1 is H2, which will promptly react with either H1 or other H2 to form three new products which will immediately decay/react with the rest of your reactor soup to form a whole pile of new poo poo, which reacts itself with ..., you get the idea.
Most of these reactions aren't even energetically efficient and are actively reducing the output of your reactor, which now contains every possible breed of Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium and Beryllium, some of which won't react further and need to be filtered out so they don't gum up your reactor.

Oh, and on top of that, massive radiation problem.

:munch: I knew the sun was Hydrogen-Hydrogen but I didn't know any of this extra stuff. It's really fascinating.

• Locked thread