Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cafel posted:

While I'm not really arguing against your main premise, it's worth keeping in mind that a 2% difference in the price of a major ingredient can lead to large amounts of savings across entire industries. If they can save 2 cents a pound on something they use thousands of tons of each year, they'll do it.

Except that the other roughly half of the time it's as much as 2% more expensive, yet still used anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Jesus christ people, smoke a bowl or something. I made the mistake of arguing with Gentoo once and I'll never do it again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I mean, even his username is bad advice. Use Linux mint or Ubuntu or something.

And to keep it on topic:
http://www.startribune.com/local/216801191.html

Check out those smarmy assholes in the picture. I wonder how much it cost to bring in all those militarized cops and helicopters and poo poo - and they didn't even catch anyone. Good job, officers! Way to waste our money! :downs:

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
His asthmatic, enlarged heart is in the right place.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

And to keep it on topic:
http://www.startribune.com/local/216801191.html

Check out those smarmy assholes in the picture. I wonder how much it cost to bring in all those militarized cops and helicopters and poo poo - and they didn't even catch anyone. Good job, officers! Way to waste our money! :downs:
It baffles me that not everybody finds it utterly preposterous to have so many people dressing up in fancy clothes and stomping about looking very official and angry, while going about the very important business of catching plants.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

TACD posted:

It baffles me that not everybody finds it utterly preposterous to have so many people dressing up in fancy clothes and stomping about looking very official and angry, while going about the very important business of catching plants.

I love it when it is referred to as a "Marijuana Lab!" from time to time. That is my personal favorite bit of propaganda. Shouldn't that just be a...garden?

Besides, when else would they get to dress up and play soldier? You don't get to be a soldier when PROTECTING and SERVING.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

NurhacisUrn posted:

I love it when it is referred to as a "Marijuana Lab!" from time to time. That is my personal favorite bit of propaganda. Shouldn't that just be a...garden?

Besides, when else would they get to dress up and play soldier? You don't get to be a soldier when PROTECTING and SERVING.

I don't know about you, but I always make sure to dress up in riot gear before making sure my tomatoes are free of varmints. Whats the point if you're not going to pomp it up a bit!

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

Okan170 posted:

I don't know about you, but I always make sure to dress up in riot gear before making sure my tomatoes are free of varmints. Whats the point if you're not going to pomp it up a bit!

gently caress yeah dude, I put on some Vibram boots, crush my okra, and then stomp on my zucchini like it was an organic/nutritious terrorist.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
The DEA shows it doesn't care about "state rights"

http://www.examiner.com/article/dea-raids-seattle-medical-marijuana-dispensaries-raided

Not that it is a surprise, I know they've been raiding medical marijuana shops all along, but now with full on legalization, really? this is where you want to spend money/effort/time?

Invisble Manuel fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 26, 2013

TVs Patrick Duffy
Dec 12, 2006
Pick something difficult. You know, hard to mock or whatever.

Invisble Manuel posted:

The DEA shows it doesn't care about "state rights"

http://www.examiner.com/article/dea-raids-seattle-medical-marijuana-dispensaries-raided

Not that it is a surprise, I know they've been raiding medical marijuana shops all along, but now with full on legalization, really? this is where you want to spend money/effort/time?

It's a hell of a lot easier than catching actual criminals.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
The DEA's excuse(as far as I heard on the local NPR station) was that these dispensaries were selling to people without a prescription. So from a legal perspective, they still have the right to do this. But I wonder what happens after November, when stores selling to the public open. If the DEA raids them that would be a clusterfuck.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Mrit posted:

The DEA's excuse(as far as I heard on the local NPR station) was that these dispensaries were selling to people without a prescription. So from a legal perspective, they still have the right to do this. But I wonder what happens after November, when stores selling to the public open. If the DEA raids them that would be a clusterfuck.

Might be where this thing all comes to a head. I don't see how the DEA could NOT raid a retail marijuana store.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Mrit posted:

Legally, they'll still have a right to do this after November, because they're a federal agency and it's against federal law.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

At the time, the dispensaries were all owned by the same man who was under investigation for illegal pot sales and money laundering.

A search warrant affidavit showed a lucrative business. The Seattle Cross alone brought in at least $850,000 in a single year.

"Do you know anything about money laundering?"

"Absolutely not," Casey Lee said. He used to work for the owner at Lacey Cross, but says he cut ties after the first raids. Lee knows pot remains illegal under federal law, but he says his Bayside Collective follows Washington state law.

When asked if he could account for every penny, he replied, "Absolutely."

I'd honestly love to see the books for some of these dispensaries, especially with the trouble they've had with banks.

edit: interesting

quote:

Jay Berneburg, a Tacoma attorney who represents owners of more than 200 medical marijuana establishments, said Wednesday’s raids were a shock to the medical marijuana community.

“Everybody was kind of freaked out, thinking the DEA was launching some kind of new offensive,” Berneburg said. “The people in this business are paranoid. They have a heightened sense of alertness. When something like this happens, their skin crawls.”

Berneburg, who does not represent any of the raided businesses, said he sees no indication that the federal government is changing its policy on medical marijuana enforcement.

“They’ve been pretty good to their word,” he said. “They don’t want to enforce these marijuana laws any more than we want them to. But if you do something stupid and make them arrest us, they will.”

Rob Carson: 253-597-8693

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2013/07/25/2639739/medical-pot-shops-raided-wednesday.html#storylink=cpy

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They don't want to, my rear end. Every last person at the DEA is evil and literally fantasizes about ruining as many lives as they possibly can out of pure malice. They would love to raid every dispensary in the country. That's why they jump at any chance to do so.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

:rolleyes:

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

echinopsis posted:

It's quite disappointing how often a comparison is made. Cannabis reform should be based upon harm reduction and not as a comparison to something else. People don't need an intoxicant and it's not "our" duty to supply people with a better one than alcohol.

People don't "need" anything beyond a concrete cell and a bologna sandwich once per day. However, it is our duty to make our lives something better than the absolute minimum needed to continue breathing air.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

Warchicken posted:

They don't want to, my rear end. Every last person at the DEA is evil and literally fantasizes about ruining as many lives as they possibly can out of pure malice. They would love to raid every dispensary in the country. That's why they jump at any chance to do so.

But Warchicken...didn't you listen to Leonhart being grilled by Jared Polis? "All...illegal...drugs...are...bad." The clear and willful ignorance amazes me when you have a congressman begging you to just GLANCE at some science and facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFgrB2Wmh5s

NurhacisUrn fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 27, 2013

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Warchicken posted:

I hate to rain on your parade, but there hasn't been a single medical marijuana related overdose since the recent DEA raid, so the facts don't support your "theory".

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Xandu posted:

Legally, they'll still have a right to do this after November, because they're a federal agency and it's against federal law.

I get the feeling we're going to live in a world where many states end up making it legal and businesses flourish, but the federal government can't abandon their golden goose, so we end up sacrificing a few businesses every year to the DEA to keep their government checks flowing.

The DEA is dead law enforcement, that, vampire-like, only lives by sucking marijuana businesses, and lives the more, the more marijuana businesses it sucks.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It seems like hyperbole until it effects you personally. Let me know if you're rolling your eyes when your dad is almost killed by police officers twice over marijuana.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Warchicken posted:

It seems like hyperbole until it effects you personally. Let me know if you're rolling your eyes when your dad is almost killed by police officers twice over marijuana.

Or stolen from his family like mine was for 4 years for growing for California medical dispensaries. When you have been on the front lines so to speak, you start thinking like this.

Edit: Funny(not really) story, me and my buddy were driving to a music festival in Washington last month but we were still on the Oregon side of the border and a highway patrol drug interdiction K-9 unit pulls us over. To be fair we were driving a giant school bus heh. Anyways the cop is invited inside by my buddy, says he smells pot and if we give it up we can just be on our way because he doesn't care about pot. So he gives him the half ounce he has and the 3-4 grams of hash. But when he mentions the hash the cop is like "Actually that is still a felony in Oregon." Yay.

So other cops come, the dog goes through the bus and doesn't find anything else, they break our glass pipes on the side of the road and this is the weirdest part, the K-9 cop says to my buddy "So i'm placing you under arrest, but then i'm going to let you go because out of a hundred cases like this i've done in the last few months they are all getting dismissed." So he cuffs him and puts him in the cop car then after writing out a felony citation uncuffs him and lets us go. It was the weirdest loving thing i have ever seen. Then the court date was last week and it was dismissed just like the cop said.

We basically got robbed by the biggest criminal gang in the us for like $200 bucks of stuff that's going to be legal soon anyways 20 miles away from where it is legal and got our pretty pipes smashed AND THEY AREN'T EVEN PROSECUTING. All so some rear end in a top hat cop could bring it to his station and get an "attaboy"

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 28, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Assuming cops " literally fantasizes about ruining as many lives as they possibly can out of pure malice" isn't an effective way of framing drug prohibition or trying to reform it. DEA agents don't make policy.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xandu posted:

Assuming cops " literally fantasizes about ruining as many lives as they possibly can out of pure malice" isn't an effective way of framing drug prohibition or trying to reform it. DEA agents don't make policy.

Not to go all Godwin with it, but how do you feel about nazis who were pushing people into gas chambers? They were just following orders!

"Someone else would just enforce this awful, unjust law" is no excuse. Every last person who has ever arrested or fined anyone for marijuana deserves nothing but scorn and vitriol. I understand you are basically saying we have to be calm and reasonable, but the level of injustice being done is well beyond the level deserving of calm, reasonable acceptance and gradual progress. Yes, I fed that way about all police, all dea agents, and everyone who is complicit in the war on drugs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Warchicken posted:

Not to go all Godwin with it, but how do you feel about nazis who were pushing people into gas chambers? They were just following orders!

"Someone else would just enforce this awful, unjust law" is no excuse. Every last person who has ever arrested or fined anyone for marijuana deserves nothing but scorn and vitriol.

So you're not even self aware enough to notice that most DEA agents have probably never even touched someone for marijuana, huh?

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Install Gentoo posted:

So you're not even self aware enough to notice that most DEA agents have probably never even touched someone for marijuana, huh?

But they are part of the group of people that are. I'm not going to say all DEA agents are nazis, but there has to be a serious disconnect in your brain to have your job be locking up people for non-violent crimes(yes including hard drugs). poo poo i wanted to be a cop when i was a kid until they tore my family apart for the crime of growing a plant for sick people(and people that game the system but gently caress it pot should be legal anyways).

Edit: Sorry i worded that badly VVVV

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 28, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fragmented posted:

But you're part of the group of people that are. I'm not going to say all DEA agents are nazis, but there has to be a serious disconnect in your brain to have your job be locking up people for non-violent crimes(yes including hard drugs). poo poo i wanted to be a cop when i was a kid until they tore my family apart for the crime of growing a plant for sick people(and people that game the system but gently caress it pot should be legal anyways).

I'm pretty sure I'm not part of that group, at all.

A lot of them are people who come from places with heavy drug use and actually believe it's the fault of drugs. A lot of them also stick to just doing poo poo like international cocaine intercepts or other stuff like that. There's some who love nothing more then busting some kid for selling weed but it's not all of them, not even close.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 28, 2013

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Heh i'm pretty sure the amount of international drug arrests are nothing compared to the amount of Americans they arrest for selling an 8-ball of coke to some guy in a bar, after wasting thousands of dollars in man hours watching some dude just trying to survive and pay his bills.

The drug war is indefensible, anyone that gets paid to be a part of it really needs to take a good look at what they are a part of.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Warchicken posted:

"Someone else would just enforce this awful, unjust law" is no excuse. Every last person who has ever arrested or fined anyone for marijuana deserves nothing but scorn and vitriol. I understand you are basically saying we have to be calm and reasonable, but the level of injustice being done is well beyond the level deserving of calm, reasonable acceptance and gradual progress. Yes, I fed that way about all police, all dea agents, and everyone who is complicit in the war on drugs.

What we need is a kind of ‘Nuremberg Moment’; where the architects and foot soldiers of this vicious, grossly unjust and inhuman drug war are confronted with the horrible mess they’ve made, in graphic, shocking detail, to get past what can only be thought of as American's own version of ‘Holocaust Denial’.

There also needs to be some serious retri-loving-bution.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 28, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Install Gentoo posted:

A lot of them are people who come from places with heavy drug use and actually believe it's the fault of drugs.

Since we're doing the Godwin thing anyway, is this an excuse for Germans who grew up during a crippling economic depression and actually believed it was the fault of the Jews?

Install Gentoo posted:

A lot of them also stick to just doing poo poo like international cocaine intercepts or other stuff like that.

This only exists because of domestic policy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm actually quite sure that international drug trafficking has a lot more to do with international laws friend. Even were say cocaine to be legalized for recreational use in the US, it'd still not be ok to have it exported in from Colombia, because the largest quantity you can legally carry there is a single gram.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm actually quite sure that international drug trafficking has a lot more to do with international laws friend. Even were say cocaine to be legalized for recreational use in the US, it'd still not be ok to have it exported in from Colombia, because the largest quantity you can legally carry there is a single gram.

If cocaine were legalized in the US, I'm pretty sure other countries would legalize it ASAP to get in on the huge trade industry that suddenly became a legitimate business.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Install Gentoo posted:

Oh come on, the only reason that south american countries like Colombia have those laws is because of US pressure. I'm pretty sure you are aware of this. If the US ended its lunatic war on drugs, south and central america would follow suit immediately. They don't like it and they don't want it. They're the ones that have courtside seats to the bloody failure that is prohibition. Do you really think that the US is only following this policy at the behest of international law? Since when have we ever given one single solitary gently caress about international law?

And why are you defending the DEA and the war on drugs in this thread? Just to be contrarian? Every single DEA agent is a piece of poo poo, full stop. They willingly joined an organization that is directly responsible for destroying millions of lives worldwide without doing anything that can accurately be described as positive. The organization acts like a foreign occupier in south/central america, terrorizing locals and destroying crops. "Cocaine interdiction" is just another term for US force projection in the Americas. Seriously, of all the US law enforcement services, the DEA is the most useless and harmful and anyone who joins it is, at best, dangerously ignorant but most likely just cynically malevolent or self-serving. poo poo, even the CIA, bad as they are, can at least be argued to have a legitimate purpose. Saying that some of the agents may have joined out of misguided sense that drugs are what cause crime is meaningless. Everyone thinks what they are doing is for the good. Even the most despicable racist who joins the police force just to put more black people in prison thinks he's doing "good". It's not like you have to be self-aware to be a piece of poo poo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RichieWolk posted:

If cocaine were legalized in the US, I'm pretty sure other countries would legalize it ASAP to get in on the huge trade industry that suddenly became a legitimate business.

There is no reason to expect drug legalization in the US would not include restrictions on import/export - we put super high import tariffs on sugar of all things. You can be drat sure there's going to be tariffs to "protect" domestic drugs from outside competition, and anyone trying to smuggle product to avoid that is going to be hit hard by the law.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Oh come on, the only reason that south american countries like Colombia have those laws is because of US pressure...

You truly do believe that it has nothing to do with all the other powerful nations out there who also come down hard on drugs, don't you?

800peepee51doodoo posted:

And why are you defending the DEA and the war on drugs in this thread?

It's interesting that you take "the DEA is not composed of soulless demons that slaver at the thought of brutalizing every last weed smoker in america" as "a defense of the drug war and DEA". Says something about you, I think.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 28, 2013

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Install Gentoo posted:

You truly do believe that it has nothing to do with all the other powerful nations out there who also come down hard on drugs, don't you?

I think the other powerful nations would realize that they are fighting an unwinnable war which now has the USA on the other side.

Or they could do like you suggest and redouble their prohibition efforts because that's proven to be totally effective at removing drugs from the world. That'd be waay better than legalizing and regulating and getting more business and tax revenue :rolleyes:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RichieWolk posted:

I think the other powerful nations would realize that they are fighting an unwinnable war which now has the USA on the other side.

Or they could do like you suggest and redouble their prohibition efforts because that's proven to be totally effective at removing drugs from the world. That'd be waay better than legalizing and regulating and getting more business and tax revenue :rolleyes:

China, India, Russia are all for example perfectly willing and able to tell the US to gently caress off if they wanted to legalize drugs and wanted other countries to also legalize them. They're even capable of providing foreign aid in large amounts in order to help countries that wanted to tell the US to gently caress off over drugs.

However, all three impose fairly heavy drugs restrictions on their own and support them worldwide.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
Please try to keep up with the conversation. We were discussing what other countries would do if the US would legalize drugs (cocaine in this example, but the point can be extrapolated to the others).

You really can't see the difference between everybody ganging up against the world's largest superpower, and everybody going along with it in addition to making more money for their own country?

That's some professional-level stupidity right there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RichieWolk posted:

Please try to keep up with the conversation. We were discussing what other countries would do if the US would legalize drugs (cocaine in this example, but the point can be extrapolated to the others).

You really can't see the difference between everybody ganging up against the world's largest superpower, and everybody going along with it in addition to making more money for their own country?

That's some professional-level stupidity right there.

If the US legalized drugs, it's likely that most other countries would continue to not do so, and the US would erect trade barriers towards easy import of drugs to the US.

Amazing how you're such an American Exceptionalist that you don't understand there's large powerful countries out there who also hate drugs and persecute their users, and who the US can't actually threaten in any meaningful way for stepping out of line. If they wanted to let drug use be legal, they would do that, and there would be nothing the US could actually do to stop them or even inconvenience them. And if they wanted to they could also pick up the slack on any smaller countries that wanted to legalize and might be subject to US attempts to bully them.

But no, continue believing that there isn't an international drug war going on. Continue to believe that international drug policy was started by the US and not by a large number of other countries before the US could even be called a superpower. It's counterfactual, but it's a free country right?

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
What? Why would the US bar trade with other countries because we are more permissive than they are? Video game consoles are banned in china, but we still import PS3s and xbox 360s from them because they are legal here. If the US would legalize drugs the trade barriers would be on the other countries' side.

That gives them 2 choices for dealing with the newly drug-permissive USA:

Option 1: Bar trade with the US because you don't like drugs, even though it is a proven fact that you can get drugs in almost every country. Black markets remain and governments still spend millions arresting and imprisoning people.

Option 2: Legalize drugs, eliminate the black market that already exists and create a new stream of revenue in both private businesses and government taxes. Everybody gets more money and the governments can spend less on drug enforcement and more on other things.

You have to be ignorant about a wealth of subjects to think that other governments wouldn't want to cut costs and generate revenue at the same time.

e: \/ I was right. You are too ignorant to talk at.

RichieWolk fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RichieWolk posted:

What? Why would the US bar trade with other countries because we are more permissive than they are? Video game consoles are banned in china, but we still import PS3s and xbox 360s from them because they are legal here. If the US would legalize drugs the trade barriers would be on the other countries' side.

That gives them 2 choices for dealing with the newly drug-permissive USA:

Option 1: Bar trade with the US because you don't like drugs, even though it is a proven fact that you can get drugs in almost every country. Black markets remain and governments still spend millions arresting and imprisoning people.

Option 2: Legalize drugs, eliminate the black market that already exists and create a new stream of revenue in both private businesses and government taxes. Everybody gets more money and the governments can spend less on drug enforcement and more on other things.

You have to be ignorant about a wealth of subjects to think that other governments wouldn't want to cut costs and generate revenue at the same time.

Because we have a long standing habit of "protecting" domestic industries and growers for our own benefit. Again: we impose ridiculously high tariffs on sugar, and that was just for the benefit of the farmers who grew sugar beets.

You really just don't understand politics or our economic policy at large. Hell, just look at the laws already passed in Washington and Colorado - they focus pretty much exclusively on "You can buy Washington grown weed in Washington" or "You can buy Colorado grown weed in Colorado". States with medical marijuana laws almost always include provisions that dispensaries aren't taking stock from across state borders. There's a very long-lasting streak of "if we're going to legalize it at all, we're not letting it cross borders". Much as these laws are in part a response to federal laws about cross border transport, so too would the US be likely to respond to international drug laws by restricting dealing in drugs to domestic suppliers. And that's again, on top of our tendency to introduce "protective" trade barriers.

Not to mention the very real fact that continuing to go after international suppliers gives certain interests in government the ability to still keep their fancy toys and show a Tough On Those Foreigns policy, which you really can't deny exists. You better believe that after weed is legalized nationwide a dude trying to cross from Mexico into the US with a trunk full of marijuana is still going to get nailed.

• Locked thread