Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Because it involves an event from last chapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.

Zorak posted:

I wonder how Canute will react if he sees Thorfinn embracing the peaceful mindset in a greater way than he.

I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to this meeting in a story I got into because a viking punched a charging horse to death.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Finally got caught up on Cesare and goddamn is this a great series. One of the things I really like is how it sets up a bunch of really shallow/obvious archetypes for the characters and then goes the opposite direction.

Cesare starting off as amiable and unpretentious when in fact he has little compunction for using people to his own ends yet even then he's not an all-around horrible person either.

Miguel starts off as the quiet badass forever loyal bodyguard but in reality he's constantly frustrated by Cesare's attitude and is a fairly friendly person.

Giovanni starting off as a shallow, vapid, rear end in a top hat rich boy but in reality he's perhaps a naive but ultimately kindhearted.

The complete role reversals and how they're remembered regarding the deaths of Roberto and Draghinazzo.

The entire Christmas Mass chapter (the most recent one) is one of the most gorgeous chapters of any series I've seen as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suben posted:

Finally got caught up on Cesare and goddamn is this a great series. One of the things I really like is how it sets up a bunch of really shallow/obvious archetypes for the characters and then goes the opposite direction.

Cesare starting off as amiable and unpretentious when in fact he has little compunction for using people to his own ends yet even then he's not an all-around horrible person either.

Miguel starts off as the quiet badass forever loyal bodyguard but in reality he's constantly frustrated by Cesare's attitude and is a fairly friendly person.

Giovanni starting off as a shallow, vapid, rear end in a top hat rich boy but in reality he's perhaps a naive but ultimately kindhearted.

The complete role reversals and how they're remembered regarding the deaths of Roberto and Draghinazzo.

The entire Christmas Mass chapter (the most recent one) is one of the most gorgeous chapters of any series I've seen as well.

Welcome to the waiting group. I like this series a lot as well but the releases are slooooow.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
When I think "detailed art in manga" I think Otoyomegatari, Vagabond and The Ravages of Time, although one definite minus for Ravages of Time versus the other two is that RoT gives no fucks about having to introduce its premise (the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history) to say nothing of the really, really wonky early chapters... and the really, really wonky scanlations early on.

While Dynasty Warriors gives a somewhat distilled version of the general plot, RoT itself runs on a rather unique plot/angle -- it's very much about subverting the usual Three Kingdoms-related tropes that DW itself upholds a bunch of -- and a bunch of its subversions are of stuff that's only barely covered or not at all covered in DW (for example, the significance of the chapter "Hold it, save it" is that it essentially IDs the eventual killer of Pang Tong decades in advance) and a heavy amount of referencing of prior historical periods, particularly the downfall of the Qin Dynasty, the founding of the Han Dynasty (though in fairness, it is a story set in the terminal decline thereof) and quoting of philosophers.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

New Cesare.

More HRE history, aww yeah.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

New Voynich, new Teppu AND new Cesare all in the same week? :allears:

Honestly I could read a Soryo History of Europe. Or Rome. Or even just the late Republican era of Rome. Or any drat bit of history really.

CrackedWindow
May 25, 2013
How often are Otoyomegatari chapters released? I hear it's bi-monthly but it seems quite irregular judging from the dates the recent chapters have been released.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Well the tl staff is pretty irregular too :v:
It should be monthly since the switch to a new mag around march, minus a few months where they ran Shirley instead. The big delay is with raws recently, I don't have A Guy so I usually just poke around until I find some low-res gallery a few weeks after release.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Arbite posted:

New Cesare.

More HRE history, aww yeah.

The Emperors of the HRE were so loving weak compared to the Emperors of the Roman Empire, East or West. Just imagine how someone like Constantine V would react to being excommunicated. gently caress... the guy hated the church structure so much he forced Monks and Nuns to marry.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

YouTuber posted:

The Emperors of the HRE were so loving weak compared to the Emperors of the Roman Empire, East or West. Just imagine how someone like Constantine V would react to being excommunicated. gently caress... the guy hated the church structure so much he forced Monks and Nuns to marry.

That's the problem with being an Elective Monarchy, yep. It makes the Monarch completely dependant on the Nobles and Bishops that make part of the Elective Council.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Vinland Saga 95

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Plutonis posted:

That's the problem with being an Elective Monarchy, yep. It makes the Monarch completely dependant on the Nobles and Bishops that make part of the Elective Council.

... B-But it's the best succession system in Crusader Kings 2!! :qq:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

... B-But it's the best succession system in Crusader Kings 2!! :qq:

Not for me, fucker vassals kept choosing people other than my designated heir! :argh:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I'm surprised that Canute would turn away from Thorfinn. I didn't think he held any ill will against Thorfinn?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Brannock posted:

I'm surprised that Canute would turn away from Thorfinn. I didn't think he held any ill will against Thorfinn?
I imagine it's more professionalism than malice. Even if he's an acquaintance, it's of no importance. Canute isn't on a social call here. Thorfinn isn't who he's waiting for.

I'm really curious as to where this is going because, honestly, if Thorfinn really is just going to head out to Vinland with Lief now... this is the last time Canute could possibly intersect Thorfinn's story. Considering this is Thorfinn's story, that would mean that... we're approaching the climax for Canute's character arc soon.

Alternately it means that events here will keep Thorfinn here in Europe for another arc or two to interact with Canute.

Either way, we're almost at a crossroads, only 8 of 100 punches away, at the end of this chapter. God drat am I not interested in watching a guy get beaten to prove his determination. That's... never remotely interesting.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I have no idea what the author thinks thinks Thorfinn can achieve here. Isn't this pointless?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Jackard posted:

I have no idea what the author thinks thinks Thorfinn can achieve here. Isn't this pointless?

He probably wants to take the Ketil family with him to Vinland, as a family of prosperous farmers would be useful in founding a new colony.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There's a trick to taking a punch. Manage to survive a Thorkell punch and no other punch will ever be of consequence again.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Caught up on Gunka no Baltzar (thanks to the new chapter). The plot thickens, characters develop, and war!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Caught up on Gunka no Baltzar (thanks to the new chapter). The plot thickens, characters develop, and war!

An interesting build-up chapter, looks like we'll be getting some real action next time.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eiba posted:

Either way, we're almost at a crossroads, only 8 of 100 punches away, at the end of this chapter. God drat am I not interested in watching a guy get beaten to prove his determination. That's... never remotely interesting.

Yeah I'm hoping it doesn't go on for like two or three issues.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

Yeah, it is indeed pretty pointless. Even if Thorfinn is stoic as hell right now what he's doing is dumb. He's supposed to be smart and there are much better ways achieve what he wants without fighting or telling straight-up lies.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Arbite posted:

An interesting build-up chapter, looks like we'll be getting some real action next time.

I kind of wonder which kid's going to bite it. I have a feeling one of them will and all of them have good reasons for how/why. Three of them seem like red shirts. Paul's got the "I just wanted a normal life" deal and he mans up but it gets him killed. Helmut's over-eagerness to prove herself could get her into trouble. Dieter's death would probably have the biggest plot ramifications.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

trucutru posted:

Yeah, it is indeed pretty pointless. Even if Thorfinn is stoic as hell right now what he's doing is dumb. He's supposed to be smart and there are much better ways achieve what he wants without fighting or telling straight-up lies.

I'm kind of worried that Young Kettle's surrender is going to interrupt the whole thing, making it even more pointless.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Speaking of Baltzar, I started reading Stratocracy of Altair recently, and they are pretty similar, although with the Ottoman Empire instead of Germany. It's a really cool manga too, and I recommend people to read it!

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyomegatari 31: Read Online / DDL

Kind of fun to see Joruk losing his cool. I love how everyone leaps into business and gets down to brass-tacks without much fuss, but I'm still crossing my fingers for at least a little high octane action. Throw us a sword fight or something!

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 3, 2013

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Speaking of Baltzar, I started reading Stratocracy of Altair recently, and they are pretty similar, although with the Ottoman Empire instead of Germany. It's a really cool manga too, and I recommend people to read it!

I like this a lot, though it's not quite as good as Baltzar because it's even further divorced from history (Spiritism based on the Chinese elements, what the gently caress) but as an original narrative it's cool.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Otoyomegatari 31: Read Online / DDL

Kind of fun to see Joruk losing his cool. I love how everyone leaps into business and gets down to brass-tacks without much fuss, but I'm still crossing my fingers for at least a little high octane action. Throw us a sword fight or something!

:argh:

YOU FOOLS!! That is NOT how you engage an enemy that is firing at you from a cliff! Evacuate the town, get on horses and regroup!

They're gonna get their asses kicked if Amir & Friends don't pull some sort of miracle. :(

Man, though, that is amazing. I started reading this manga on the premise that it was just a bunch of uplifting, cute stories about everyday life in Central Asia, but within the last two or three chapters poo poo has totally gotten real!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sooo I decide to go back and read vinland saga from the start, since it's been since the start of the manga sinceI first read it.

First coupla chapters got some super interesting / ironic stuff about slaves courtesy of mr farm man.

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine
Otoyomegatari is giving me the feeling that something bad is going to happen. Someone is going to die and I'm going to be sad.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
It would be hard to top Mr. Smith's near marriage.

CrackedWindow
May 25, 2013

cooldude2.0 posted:

It would be hard to top Mr. Smith's near marriage.

I still have a feeling they're going to return to that.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Got Wolfsmund vol 1 from Vertical. It's a dark medieval story about a barrier station sitting in the Germany/Italy border. The closest person to the main character is the bailiff, who is very good at his job.

I like the story pattern, and can't wait for more.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Ugh, that loving comic... PSA, :siren: Wolfsmund is a trap :siren: don't waste your time on it.

Some chapters are alright, but every time you think the characters are being intelligent, the villain pulls some diabolus ex machina out of his rear end and appears on top of a mountain with all of his guardsmen or something.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 21, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah, I also posted about this in the seinen manga thread a few months ago, but Wolfsmund is really... ugh. Unless you like senseless suffering and Smuggy McFuckface discovering every plot because the story says so, don't spend any more money on it. Every arc is like a shaggy dog story where the ending is "...and then they all died, the end."

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Chapter 96 is out, and it's a doozy.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Thorfinn is just so loving amazing :drat:

The next chapter can't come soon enough :f5:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Well I was skeptical at first, but they successfully made pacifism badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Jackard posted:

Ugh, that loving comic... PSA, :siren: Wolfsmund is a trap :siren: don't waste your time on it.

Some chapters are alright, but every time you think the characters are being intelligent, the villain pulls some diabolus ex machina out of his rear end and appears on top of a mountain with all of his guardsmen or something.

I'm sorry. I just read the first volume and thought it's going to break the pattern later. Though I'm a sucker for grim medieval stories like these.

@Vinland Saga 96

Thorfinn's speech was so cool. No one else could have pulled it off. This is a very satisfying payoff.