Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Basically Harmony Gold doesn't even much care about the US. According to a con panel once Robotech is huge in China of all places.

Robotech/Macross is effectively just copyright trolling to make them some extra cash without having to do anything thanks
to badly worded deals made in the early 80s for a show even those of us who liked as kids don't even really care about now
as they don't do anything with the IP outside of the odd HEY REMEMBER US? DVD or game released from time to time.

(A deal they made with someone who is said to not even have the rights to make the deal. Which is basically how
Harmony Gold attacked FASA. They got the rights from someone who really didn't have the rights to give out.)

(Also as much as I like RPGs and minis games, Palladium's RPGs might as well be nonexistent. Outside of ONE game store
in my region none of them even carry Palladium stuff. Hell, you cannot even special order them from the other stores!!
And the minis game will just be like every other hobby minis game and die in the face of Warhammer 40K and Warmachine/Hordes.)

It's a show that whatever goodwill it has was since ruined by HG keeping other Macross stuff out of the US in spite of not
actually having spent any time, money, or effort into their creation and marketing. (The same panel that said how huge it was
in China and how well the Shadow Chronicles DVD sold also claimed they don't keep other Macross bits out of the rest of the world.
They just.. have to have their cut. I presume it is a metric shitload, given how the Macross music rights are always rumored to
be a massive pain.)

They don't even really expand the 36 episodes they litigate over that most people actually remember the show for, the middle 26 are
basically disliked by everyone except weirdos like me, and they really only push the last 26 nowadays. If you call one movie and
a couple comic books in 30 years pushing anyhow.

The TFW2K5 folks were saying HG's biggest hook might be the original 84 Jetfire robot mode box art being on a card inside the SDCC
package.

Which may or may not be why they are going after Hasbro. Some idiots there are saying Hasbro wants to go through legal to own or
mess with them to own Robotech or something equally unlikely because who knows or cares about HG or Robotech at this point...

It is all pretty stupid honestly. HG is used to going after small fry without lawyers or with lawyers that would cost too much to
bother fighting like FASA. They are probably just hoping for a cheap and easy cash influx while they keep pinning their dreams on
a live action movie that just now finally got a director but given how Pacific Rim hasn't done half as well as it deserved to is
probably going to make movie studios nervous, especially if Godzilla next year isn't a big hit. (Or if people wise up and realize
how bad the Bay TF movies are and don't support his crap a fourth time.)

Most of their cash is made in real estate and some technical support for Hollywood stuff like theaters and recording studio type bits.

Robotech is just their extra bit of free money thanks to iffy legal proceedings in the 80s when nobody cared about anime and imports
from Japan were doing well in the toy aisle and on syndicated TV networks.

Hell, the name ROBOTECH was basically made up from Revell the model kit company when they imported and sold a gob of model kits from
a handful of anime series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
I admit it, I cried at the end of tonight's Prime episode. Can't wait for the TV movie!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

HiriseSoftware posted:

I admit it, I cried at the end of tonight's Prime episode. Can't wait for the TV movie!

I'm not sure how to feel about it. I mean that in the good, "that left an impact despite being abrupt", way. I never imagined that Megs would go out by being run through by Bumblebee of all bots.

I'm hoping that the movie this fall will give the best show since Beast Wars the send off it deserves. That'd make even having to suffer through another anime Transformers series or even another Michael Bay movie worth it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

HiriseSoftware posted:

The scene at the climax when Bumblebee killed Megatron was set up and delivered flawlessly, we the viewers know something big just happened but we're not sure what, and it gets milked for just the right amount of time before the reveal.

Also for some reason I can't get the image of Soundwave and zombie Skyquake playing charades in the alternate universe forever out of my head even though I know how dumb that sounds

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Revolver Bunker posted:

HG is also the reason I'll never to own Macross Frontier on blu-ray without buying the Japanese copies. The new Valk toys are getting better too. I want that triple changing Koeing Monster drat it.

Well I hope you have 400 dollars handy because the aftermarket prices on it are in-loving-sane.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

In other Transformers News...

Con Haul So far:
-Generations Sandstorm
-Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megatron (Complete W/ TARTAREX WARP BLADE)
-TFCon Exclusive Gobit Roswell
-TFCon Exclusive Gobit Van Guardian
-Back to the Future Lego set.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 27, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Whoa whoa whoa what Back to the Future Lego set?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Xenomrph posted:

Whoa whoa whoa what Back to the Future Lego set?

User creation that got voted into being a production set. A limited number were on sale at SDCC but vanished in an instant. It's a small DeLorean that can be built into any of the three movies' versions of the car, plus Doc and Marty minifigs.

In related news, there was a minifig of the "main" orc in The Hobbit that was handed out randomly at SDCC to 100 people. The going price on it right now is around $1300.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I love TFCon but being deathly ill, not being able to breathe and vomiting everywhere is kind of hurting my experience. Jesus, why did I have to get con sickness before I even went to the con?

I'm sorry guys, I'm patient zero. :(

I feel really bad for the guys in my room who have to put up with me being a biohazard. :smith:

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 27, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Keldroc posted:

User creation that got voted into being a production set. A limited number were on sale at SDCC but vanished in an instant. It's a small DeLorean that can be built into any of the three movies' versions of the car, plus Doc and Marty minifigs.

Holy gently caress! Is that set going to be mass-produced? Or am I going to have to pay scalper prices on eBay?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xenomrph posted:

Holy gently caress! Is that set going to be mass-produced? Or am I going to have to pay scalper prices on eBay?

Yes, you can buy it from the online Lego shop or a real bricks and mortar Lego store from Aug 1st. Lego's been really good with its Cuusoo stuff. There's a Minecraft set that people have tried scalping on, so Lego just released more of it to stores.

Edit: store link: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-DeLorean-time-machine-21103

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 27, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I love TFCon but being deathly ill, not being able to breathe and vomiting everywhere is kind of hurting my experience. Jesus, why did I have to get con sickness before I even went to the con?

I'm sorry guys, I'm patient zero. :(

I feel really bad for the guys in my room who have to put up with me being a biohazard. :smith:

Aww hamster fears meeting you. Is anyone else here today? This lobby is scary.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Hey guys we're nerds

Rei is also around somewhere, I'll run into him occasionally.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, they didn't do a very good job with the DeLorean, but I kind of feel obligated to buy it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, they didn't do a very good job with the DeLorean, but I kind of feel obligated to buy it.

I can't believe how bad it is.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Its no excuse but the reason is so you can swap it around to whichever version you want. But its worth it just for the Doc and Marty figures.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

So TFCon's Third Party Panel dropped some massive bombshells today.

Swerve with drink tray and ripped off face.

Fansproject Weirdwolf

Fansproject Mindwipe

Fansproject Roadbuster

Fansproject Motormaster with Menasor

Maketoys Computron & Technobots

Much much more at the link.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
That swerve is going to cost a gajillion dollars, and doesn't look that drastically different than the Hasbro Legends figure. That Roadbuster looks nice though, however I have a feeling that he's the next voyager after Whirl and Rhinox. Granted we just got the second Deluxe Roadbuster, but that hasn't stopped a larger figure appearing later on.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 27, 2013

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Keldroc posted:

So TFCon's Third Party Panel dropped some massive bombshells today.

Much much more at the link.
:negative:

Unnngh dat Computron. Maybe I can just buy Computron and I'll stop there... yeah that'll work.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think that giant thing behind Computron comes off and becomes a big rear end bow-like weapon. At least it looked like that in early concept photos. It looks rad!

That roadbuster... looks fine in bot mode, but the altmode is a bit silly, particularly those dinky wheels.

I... dunno why, but I'm not that impressed by Menasor. I mean yeah it looks cool as hell but just not enough to pay that price for it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Weirdwolf looks so good, and Mindwipe looks scary as hell. We just need Skullcruncher, now! C'mon someone!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Also, a little size comparison of Maketoys' MMC's Feral Rex to Unique Toys' whatever the hell they're calling it.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 28, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How do they not have a colored Motormaster yet? I need to see that thing completed before I make the call to buy it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I really hope that the Targetmasters legends wave gives us a new Huffer/Pipes and repaint Swerve into Gears. Because we have all the original 1984 Decepticons in some new form in Generations, but we're still missing a good number of autobots. I mean why did they feel the need to make legends optimus with Roller? We already have a ton of Optimi, they should have made him Huffer instead. Also it's a shame they haven't re-used that RTS Windcharger mold for anything yet. I know they're making an entirely new mold for Tailgate, but that Scout Windcharger is a pretty good mold in itself. That and I really want a Generations Seaspray. I've got the HFTD mold and it's repaint Deepdive from RTS, but dangit it's not the same. :colbert:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I am VERY interested in that add-on set for Bruticus. It's actually made by a Radicon who spent a lot of time improving it and instead of going the shapeways way, he took the extra step to offer it via third party, fully painted for each version of Brut. It makes a toy that I already enjoy into something very awesome. Hopefully it won't be too expensive, I've got G2 Bruticus and have the Platinum version on the way.

vvv It was worth it for Knockout's scene at the end vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 28, 2013

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Final episode of Prime was pretty blueballs but what did I expect at this stage. At least someone died.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Presented without comment, because all I know is that's at Wonder Fest.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I ain't got time for a Scorponok that doesn't turn into a scorpion. :colbert:

I did find this at Target today, though.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Computron looks good, but I hope that thing on his back comes off like the early concept pics cos that silhouette kinda sucks with that being so huge. I like that Mindwipe, but I'd like him to be a bit beefier in his torso, but he's cool.

That Scorponok is killing me. Look at it. Finally, 27 years later, he is as big as Fort Max.

Keldroc posted:

Also, a little size comparison of Maketoys' Feral Rex to Unique Toys' whatever the hell they're calling it.

Feral Rex is MMC not Maketoys, but yep yep yep yep yep.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So what other places are the Shared Platinum exclusives being sold at in America? BBTS has the Bruticus and grimlock set, but it's 99 bucks and Metroplex comes out next week. I usualy don't spend 200 bucks on transformer sets in a month but I have no idea how to gauge how quickly the set will be gone. If it were sold in a physical store I would probably wait, but can't seem to find who else is selling it.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I really doubt the Platinum Grimlock vs. Bruticus set will be selling out all that quickly. Both molds received lukewarm responses from the fandom at best, and haven't really been greatly improved on in the new set. If you can only do one at release, I'd say go Metroplex and pick up Plat GvB a month or two later. The only Platinum I feel has a chance of really vanishing with any quickness is Ultra Magnus.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yet for all that criticism they seem to sell pretty well (Grimlock and the various Brut repaints I mean), the thing with this fandom is that often people go "I HATE THIS MOLD I WILL ONLY BUY TWO COPIES, ok maybe three but that's it!". To answer Wendigo's question, If i recall correctly the shared exclusive is with Amazon so as Keldroc said, there's probably a decent amount of them if you wanna wait a month.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

That and I've never seen more than two or three Grimlocks and one set of Combaticons on the shelves at any one time. Most of this stuff sells out because they only ship in shockingly low numbers.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

SpikeMcclane posted:

Presented without comment, because all I know is that's at Wonder Fest.

So it's an official licensed product from Sentinel. Comes with two heads based on the Headmasters anime and G1 S4/Rebirth plus a shield and rifle. No price or release timeframe atm. Also not the only expensive TF product at this WF. Check out this non-transforming 'Ultimetal' Optimus from Art Storm/Action Toys. It's got diecast, electronics, mouthing mouth plate and all the standard Optimus accesories, rifle, Matrix, energy axe. 440mm(17.3 inches) tall, not FM height but still quite large.

There's also the CM's Corp Excel suit that Daniel and Spike wore in the movie but eh eh eh. Peep the link if you're interested.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/cms-corporation-brave-gokin-excel-suit-178115/

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
As a Bruticus fan and owner of the original G1 toy, I am disappointed by other attempts at Bruticus. Why is he always so lanky? :(

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Szmitten posted:

As a Bruticus fan and owner of the original G1 toy, I am disappointed by other attempts at Bruticus. Why is he always so lanky? :(

My theory is that:

- First, they don't want to sell combiner teams in different size classes (unless they come in a pack like the PCCs did) to make it easier for kids to assemble the whole thing.

- And second, Hasbro people have mentioned recently how they don't want the figures to have any add-on parts that are essential (for example, the old combiners' feet, fists and faceplates) because it sucks when you lose a small important part and you're stuck with an incomplete figure. Thus the combiner parts have to be somewhat self-contained.

That said, there are some configurations that make FoC Bruticus look pretty good already, but I won't deny that it's a flawed toy. I'm still expecting more info on that addon kit, but I fear that it's gonna cost a fortune.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ka0 posted:

Final episode of Prime was pretty blueballs but what did I expect at this stage. At least someone died.

The final episode of Prime just has me shrug and go 'Good, but could be better'. That phrase, in my opinion, sums up my thoughts on the show. I might post some more detailed thoughts on the series as a whole in a few hours. I can't shake the thought that it felt like certain parties wanted the show to be for a slightly older audience but were continually reined in.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blackheart posted:

My theory is that:

- First, they don't want to sell combiner teams in different size classes (unless they come in a pack like the PCCs did) to make it easier for kids to assemble the whole thing.

- And second, Hasbro people have mentioned recently how they don't want the figures to have any add-on parts that are essential (for example, the old combiners' feet, fists and faceplates) because it sucks when you lose a small important part and you're stuck with an incomplete figure. Thus the combiner parts have to be somewhat self-contained.

That said, there are some configurations that make FoC Bruticus look pretty good already, but I won't deny that it's a flawed toy. I'm still expecting more info on that addon kit, but I fear that it's gonna cost a fortune.

I just wish they hadn't tried to shoot the moon and give them scramble city style limb options. The other problems (garbage plastic, bad color choices) are obvious, but the design team's hubris, thinking they are brilliant enough to bring back deluxe combiners at retail AND let each of the 4 limbs swap to any other position leads to weird stuff like Vortex's calves being full of limb parts instead of basic robot essentials like feet. And maybe it could be forgiven if one of the configurations made a decent Bruticus, but, welp.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I bought a Soundwave off of ebay. To me, the extra hundred bucks is worth the gas and time I'd have spent trolling around the city, as well as (now) not having to get up early during my vacation.

I have aided the scalpers oh god I am the enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I just wish they hadn't tried to shoot the moon and give them scramble city style limb options. The other problems (garbage plastic, bad color choices) are obvious, but the design team's hubris, thinking they are brilliant enough to bring back deluxe combiners at retail AND let each of the 4 limbs swap to any other position leads to weird stuff like Vortex's calves being full of limb parts instead of basic robot essentials like feet. And maybe it could be forgiven if one of the configurations made a decent Bruticus, but, welp.

I think this is a very important point. I'd like to see Hasbro try a five-robot combiner with each limb robot specifically designed to be a single limb, Devastator-style. It would probably help a lot.