Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought the movie was unsubtle about this but this poster is somehow even less subtle!

Georgia O' Keefe called, she thinks it's "a little on the nose, no?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pussy Power: The Movie

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Vintersorg posted:

Yep, that is the only reason we buy them. It has nothing to do with us liking the movies or how some of them look. We are so simple minded that we act on the instinct of buying everything Mondo cause it's so hard to get.

You're a jackass.
I took a college class on consumer behavior so I'm speaking with authority here.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ibexaz posted:

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but the Battle Royale re-release poster is absolutely awful.

Look at the hands.

I saw this pop up on my Netflix yesterday. It made me laugh.

Wasn't there something way back in this thread from a DVD cover that was completely atrocious? I seem to remember someone posting something from a major studio that was just abysmal. I'm hoping somebody remembers, lots of pages in this thread. :effort:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
An experience in terror and suspense. And hair styling.

:effort:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

kiimo posted:

I saw this pop up on my Netflix yesterday. It made me laugh.

Wasn't there something way back in this thread from a DVD cover that was completely atrocious? I seem to remember someone posting something from a major studio that was just abysmal. I'm hoping somebody remembers, lots of pages in this thread. :effort:

Some of the covers on Netflix right now are just embarrassing. Netflix just be telling these companies, "Uh no sorry, don't care what your nephew made, we're putting up the original cover"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jefferoo posted:

Oh god, here we go...

Jesus, you could have done so much with a Pacific Rim poster. You could ape the old Godzilla or other Japanese tokusatsu film of the era, an "anime the gently caress up" version, Japanese credits and all, but of course, Mondo goes the "throw some poo poo in Illustrator and Live Trace it" route.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I got this from Mondo years ago, I don't care what anyone thinks, it's awesome.

Although I will say the majority of Mondo posters are crap, and the false scarcity thing pisses me off.

This is legitimately cool.

Darthemed posted:

'Man, Jean Reno is looking grizzled these da-oh no poor Laurence Fishburne'

Don't weep for Larry Fishburne, he's currently in a popular television show. He's getting paid.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Young Freud posted:

Jesus, you could have done so much with a Pacific Rim poster. You could ape the old Godzilla or other Japanese tokusatsu film of the era, an "anime the gently caress up" version, Japanese credits and all, but of course, Mondo goes the "throw some poo poo in Illustrator and Live Trace it" route.

Didn't they make those two red/orange and blue posters of a Kaiju and a Jaeger fighting in a city, that you could kind of put next to each other and make into one huge poster? And I swear they did another poster as well as that one, did they just make three or four for pacific rim or something?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
This is pretty great.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Red Bones posted:

Didn't they make those two red/orange and blue posters of a Kaiju and a Jaeger fighting in a city, that you could kind of put next to each other and make into one huge poster? And I swear they did another poster as well as that one, did they just make three or four for pacific rim or something?

Yeah, I think the kaiju/jaeger set are gorgeous, though definitely visually wayyy busy, so I could see people not being crazy about those, either.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I got this from Mondo years ago, I don't care what anyone thinks, it's awesome.

Although I will say the majority of Mondo posters are crap, and the false scarcity thing pisses me off.

They dropped the ball on that by not making the cover a white background with black text saying "Movie". :colbert:

Was re-watching Inctacto today, some of the promotional material is pretty ok:

But some of them decide to focus on one scene that makes a movie about luck look like a creature feature/slasher/horror movie:

"Your luck is theirs"

The tag line on the second poster works fine enough if it was used right, but on the second one it just makes it seem like a cheesy Spainish version of Night of the Creeps.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jefferoo posted:

This is pretty great.

I like this a lot, but I wish they'd have stuck with the original tagline.

"Time to Meet the Devil" just sounds so much better.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Modus Pwnens posted:

Yeah, I think the kaiju/jaeger set are gorgeous, though definitely visually wayyy busy, so I could see people not being crazy about those, either.

Here are the Pacific Rim posters in the Mondo Archive. They're not to shabby overall but nothing that special, IMO.

My favourite Pacific Rim poster is still the Imax premiere poster.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I like Mondochat because it isn't just mindless hate, there's usually lots of good discussions about design and art in between all the totally justified :ughh:. Trying to shut that down to defend the honor of your collection of hundred-dollar posters is stupid, even if your friends think they're cool.

Jefferoo posted:

Old cool actors in Metro 2033 I guess?

This isn't even the only Metro 2033 movie this year. Snowpiercer looks looks way better, at least in terms of the talent both in front of and behind the camera.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
More Tom Hanks

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Red_Museum posted:

More Tom Hanks

Maybe they'll tweak the actual story, and this one will end with Hanks kicking the stock of that AK, flipping it around and putting it in his own hands. He raises it to the chin of the lead hijacker, and says ".... hijack this."

Also, the lead hijacker is played by Cuba Gooding Jr.

Hooray for Hollywood! :bravo:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe they'll tweak the actual story, and this one will end with Hanks kicking the stock of that AK, flipping it around and putting it in his own hands. He raises it to the chin of the lead hijacker, and says ".... hijack this."

At least the pirates aren't led by this one white guy with a British accent :shrug:

What I'm saying is that I hope when they say "based on a true story" they just mean "we took a script for 'Die Hard on a Pirate Ship' and put the names of real life kidnapping victims in it".

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
The dude behind Tom Hanks is jazzed to be sitting next to Tom Hanks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hooray for Hollywood! :bravo:
It's Paul Greengrass. Watch any of his other "Based on a true story" films. Between Bloody Sunday and United 93 I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jefferoo posted:

This is pretty great.

If you want a poster trying to pretend the movie is Drive 2, I suppose.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
It's a pretty design. I have no idea what the hell it has to do with the film, but it's a pretty design.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

casa de mi padre posted:

It's a pretty design. I have no idea what the hell it has to do with the film, but it's a pretty design.

For the most part, it is just copying an existing poster:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Terminal Entropy posted:

Well no, it's doing more than that. There's a reason why it's covered in hands.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012

Terminal Entropy posted:

No it's using an existing design element - the dragon face - and elaborating on it in a distinct manner. The faces aren't even similar.

And apparently this film has been out for a bit, I guess I should see it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Red Bones posted:

At least the pirates aren't led by this one white guy with a British accent :shrug:

What I'm saying is that I hope when they say "based on a true story" they just mean "we took a script for 'Die Hard on a Pirate Ship' and put the names of real life kidnapping victims in it".

Doesn't the "true story" paint Phillips as kind of a jerk? He purposefully went through an area that he was warned was full of pirates just because it was faster.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Terminal Entropy posted:

They dropped the ball on that by not making the cover a white background with black text saying "Movie". :colbert:

Blue text. :eng101:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 6, 2014

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

This is pretty great.

Mondo should really branch out from the drab pastels it always uses as this is the most colorful movie I have seen in a while.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Not a Mondo poster.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Not a Mondo poster.

Sure as hell looks like one.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

G-III posted:

In classic 1980s direct-to-video fashion, the actual movie fails to live up to the poster artwork:

Here's the poster I've seen more often for this movie. I think it's much better, but it's still missing THE GUY THAT'S ACTUALLY IN THE MOVIE!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Is that movie really about punches to the balls?

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

Edition the 20th: The My Kid Could Draw That! Mega-Jam

"Help me get this jam off my fingers!"

Captures that terrifying instant before you sneeze and jam comes out of your helmet

Points off for no jam

The best thing for getting jam off your fingers is a disembodied head

"Mum always said if I ate any more marmalade my eyes would turn yellow. And that I'd kill and stalk people on a snowy mountain peak."

Spreadin' jam with a cleaver seems a bit excessive. (This was made in 2012)

Also, I've been away for the last couple of weeks and in case you're wondering what happened in the thread in that time:
* There's a racist outburst
* Everybody decides to watch Oldboy again
* Groundhog Day love-in (again)
* People finally agree that Josie and the PussyCats is a good movie
* Beatles songs / All You Need Is Kill puns
* It's established that Keanu Reeves was in the Matrix
* Two rounds of Mondo bashing

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Shuffler Zero, I just wanted to say thanks. Your posts are always really fun. Also:

ShufflerZero posted:

* People finally agree that Josie and the PussyCats is a good movie

As someone who saw it in the first show on the opening day (in a completely empty theater to boot), I've always known that.

ShufflerZero posted:

* Two rounds of Mondo bashing

Only two? Are we counting any time Mondo was mentioned as bashing, or just when people got angry and posted "Rathabrathafarthabraw"?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

ShufflerZero posted:

Spreadin' jam with a cleaver seems a bit excessive. (This was made in 2012)

Isn't that the guy from Violent poo poo?

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Isn't that the guy from Violent poo poo?

That's what I thought too, but the IMDB entry tells a different story. I've got to admire the kid's moxy though, I'd never be able to get Lloyd Kaufman to appear in anything I would make.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Some real bangers today.

Sadly these are real movies and sadly not fake movies made up for a joke.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jefferoo posted:

Some real bangers today.

Sadly these are real movies and sadly not fake movies made up for a joke.

After all this talk about Low Blow, I had to double-check to see if the girl on the cover is actually in the movie and not a stock photo. I think that's Danielle Harris, but I'm still not totally convinced.

This movie doesn't have enough pomp to be called "Redline"

There, that's better.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ShufflerZero posted:

Captures that terrifying instant before you sneeze and jam comes out of your helmet

Death Dream does have a pretty good poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I love that it's a PG.