Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Hey maybe he's taking a baller expat package. I'm not going to begrudge a guy trying to get a slice of the old days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've lived in two complexes with pools :smugdog: They're not even that rare or expensive in the modern city of Shenzhen.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
If you're anywhere near jing'an on line two it's pretty much like living in America. I definitely saw more foreigners than Chinese people and never ate Chinese food once the two weeks I was visiting friends around there. And yea lots of the apartment complexes have pools.

This seemed really weird to me at first too since I had been in China three years before ever going to Shanghai, but SH isn't really China as far as I'm concerned now.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

BadAstronaut posted:

I have a problem. My rickshaw driver is constantly trying to talk to me in that monkey language of his. Where can I buy a bull-whip in this country, preferably without having to risk touching a local?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
My building has a pool too. I think every building in Hong Kong that isn't public housing has one.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Bloodnose posted:

My building has a pool too. I think every building in Hong Kong that isn't public housing has one.

I'm so sick of your "facts" getting in the way of my hyperbole.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Oh my dear goons and your conclusion-jumping! :)

From browsing some rental sites it seems many of the very regular-looking shanghai apartment blocks have pools. I'm a surfer and it's the best exercise to do when not able to actually get in the ocean. I'm living in London right now and have to stay active or else I become a fat slob, and here it's incredibly rare to find a spot with a pool.

So for me, if I can get a place that includes a gym and pool, I'll spend a little extra for it seeing as I pay to do that here anyway. (And I've also read about public gardens and parks having outdoor gyms and body weight equipment etc - sounds like there's ample opportunity to stay in shape there).

I don't want to live in a place that feels nothing like China though, but i also don't want to find myself completely unable to communicate with the people in my area. We will see.

And no, don't have confirmation of the job yet... Completely getting ahead of myself, but only because I'm feeling fairly confident about the position at this present time...

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 27, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

Are they all really well maintained and clean etc? Do many of the residents use them or are they more a nice-to-have novelty that people don't really take advantage of?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My old place on the 3rd ring road had a pool. It's not weird.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

The bigger shock is... The Chinese can swim? I don't think I know any Koreans who can.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

BadAstronaut posted:

Are they all really well maintained and clean etc? Do many of the residents use them or are they more a nice-to-have novelty that people don't really take advantage of?

Well maintained and clean, but underutilized for sure.

And it closes at 7, so no chance to use it after work. It's really only an option on weekends.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DontAskKant posted:

The bigger shock is... The Chinese can swim? I don't think I know any Koreans who can.

Only small children with floatation devices. The adults stand or just stay out of the pool. Hopefully the next generation will teach itself to swim. :unsmith:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

And it closes at 7, so no chance to use it after work. It's really only an option on weekends.

Do you know if this is standard or particular to your apartment complex?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

He's in HK, not in China! In China you're lucky if it'll ever be open!!!!!

I'm back in China now! gently caress!

I'm most amazed at how quickly I morphed back into 铁公鸡 mode. After a few weeks of buying 6 euro this and 8 dollar that I paid 4RMB for a water at the airport and was livid. But it was the only cold water!

Also like 1 zillion complexes in China have pools, it's not weird even in boonie towns like Chengdu. Most of my friends live in relatively cheap complexes (renting 50-70m2 apartments for like 1.5-2k a month lol chengdu) that have them. We even have a fake beach you can surf at in Chengdu now... maybe... is it open yet?

Shijiazhuang is hilarious for me because it's my roommate's hometown and right after spring festival she went back and showed me the AQI was 999 cause her app didn't go any higher.

BEEN ON PLANES FOR LIKE 19 HOURS ONLY LIEK 4 MORE TO GO

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
There's a public pool like a 5 minute walk from my place that is open until 9

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I swam in a pool in Chengdu today and I'm pretty sure it's the talk of the town. There was a small crowd (5 people).

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
What time do the subway border crossings/bus crossings close and open in Shenzhen? I should be getting to the train station at around six in the evening, is that enough time to get to HK and back in Shenzhen? My train leaves for BJ at around 7:30 the next morning.

I'm not flying because 1. It scares the gently caress out of me and any time spent on a plane makes me want to die and 2. it gives me an excuse to study for my HSK test with no other distractions.

According to Baidu at least one (FuTian) of them is/was 24 hours, but I'm guessing the Shenzhen subway and public transportation are not. Which one is closer to the train station, LuoHu or FuTian?

Edit - Looks like I can take the subway directly to FuTian from the train station, which is nice.

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 27, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Only small children with floatation devices. The adults stand or just stay out of the pool. Hopefully the next generation will teach itself to swim. :unsmith:

I went out with a girl from Harbin in part because she was learning how to swim.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Magna Kaser posted:

I paid 4RMB for a water at the airport and was livid. But it was the only cold water
Every goddamn convenience store in Chengdu is only putting expensive waters in the coolers. Like 15rmb. Cheap beers in the cooler, though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cuatal posted:

What time do the subway border crossings/bus crossings close and open in Shenzhen? I should be getting to the train station at around six in the evening, is that enough time to get to HK and back in Shenzhen? My train leaves for BJ at around 7:30 the next morning.

I'm not flying because 1. It scares the gently caress out of me and any time spent on a plane makes me want to die and 2. it gives me an excuse to study for my HSK test with no other distractions.

According to Baidu at least one (FuTian) of them is/was 24 hours, but I'm guessing the Shenzhen subway and public transportation are not. Which one is closer to the train station, LuoHu or FuTian?

Edit - Looks like I can take the subway directly to FuTian from the train station, which is nice.

Huanggang is the 24 hour crossing, but it's not served by the subway (but there are plenty of 24 hour buses). Futian is served by the subway on both sides, but it closes at midnight. These two crossings are like 200 meters from each other, but getting from one to the other sucks way more than it should. Basically all of them except Huanggang open at like 6 or 7 (I've never actually been there before 8) and close at 11 or 12. I don't know what you're planning to do that night in Hong Kong, but it will be possible to cross at 6pm and come back the same night.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tom Smykowski posted:

Every goddamn convenience store in Chengdu is only putting expensive waters in the coolers. Like 15rmb. Cheap beers in the cooler, though.

I need ideas for what to do tomorrow. Are you guys in the city at all this weekend? Because Jeoh is here.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I need ideas for what to do tomorrow. Are you guys in the city at all this weekend? Because Jeoh is here.

If it's Chengdu, you can always hug a panda.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man I'm sooo done with American suburbs even though it's a paradise to live in and raise kids.

I need to be back in my cloistered shoe box of hk and a subway

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

caberham posted:

Man I'm sooo done with American suburbs even though it's a paradise to live in and raise kids.

I want to live a life of mystery and adventure.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

It's been what, 2 days?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

Even Jilin street cooler water was 6RMB,wgat the hell.

Also Arglebargle check your weixin.

Also I'm bad at ktv. But good at drinking baijiu. Today I hugged pandas and pushed Chinese away when exiting the subway. Am I experiencing true China.

Add me to the group chat, Jeohist is my id I think. Also I have Chinaphone but I don't know my number.

Chengdu is cool guys, come visit!

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

BadAstronaut posted:

Ba-I live a little south of Jingan in the French Concession. Yes, the complexes have pools, but they are used extensively by expat kids and are in various degrees of repair.

What's your budget? You can get more bang for your buck by grabbing a place in Gubei or Minhang and taking the metro into town. God bless line 10.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Arglebargle III posted:

I'd hang out, but I'm leaving for Guangdong later today. I think your only options are go see the fake beach or be like Chengduianers and play mahjong. Partly to avoid the heat but mostly because everyone has a gambling problem.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

Well maintained and clean, but underutilized for sure.

Well maintained, clean, but TINY! Both complexes that I have lived in have swimming pools, but they are 1.3 meters deep and the shape is weird oval/ bean shape. Great for kids but not so good for work out. It opens till 10pm tho. I know I am just making excuses not to work out...

There's another usage of the pool. You can always stab your husband from the back and jump from the 76th floor into the pool. : /

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wonton posted:

There's another usage of the pool. You can always stab your husband from the back and jump from the 76th floor into the pool. : /

My favorite part of that story is that it was important for them to report that the pool was closed.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME
In Beijing you are looking at 15k a month minimum for a complex with a pool, and there is still no guarantee it will be one you would want to use.

You are better off joining a local gym that has a pool. You can get somewhere pretty swish that is virtually empty most of the time for 4-6k a year membership fee.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Big Alf posted:

In Beijing you are looking at 15k a month minimum for a complex with a pool, and there is still no guarantee it will be one you would want to use.

You are better off joining a local gym that has a pool. You can get somewhere pretty swish that is virtually empty most of the time for 4-6k a year membership fee.

Looked at an apartment that was 1.9k today in a complex right by the subway that has two pools, a tennis court and a fake beach today.

Never leavin' tier 2.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magna Kaser posted:

Looked at an apartment that was 1.9k today in a complex right by the subway that has two pools, a tennis court and a fake beach today.

Never leavin' tier 2.

I want to go to tier 2, if I could find a decent paying job there. Been to Wuhu a couple of times and I liked it. (or is that tier 3?)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

I want to go to tier 2, if I could find a decent paying job there. Been to Wuhu a couple of times and I liked it. (or is that tier 3?)

What is tier 2/3? What is a tier in this context? You're not talking about anything in Shanghai, are you?

I'd like to look at a max of 6500RMB per month if that is realistic. It might be too much or it might be average, I really don't know. Hoping that can cover all my apartment related costs, all in, with internet, pool etc.

What are you guys paying and what should I expect to, for a decent, comfortable place with pool etc?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BadAstronaut posted:

What is tier 2/3? What is a tier in this context? You're not talking about anything in Shanghai, are you?

I'd like to look at a max of 6500RMB per month if that is realistic. It might be too much or it might be average, I really don't know. Hoping that can cover all my apartment related costs, all in, with internet, pool etc.

What are you guys paying and what should I expect to, for a decent, comfortable place with pool etc?

"Tier 1/2/3" cities, are a kind of poorly-defined thing that's still used all over the place in China.

Tier 1 is Beijing and Shanghai, and according to some lists, Shenzhen and IIRC Guangzhou

Tier 2 is places like Suzhou, Tianjin, Qingdao, Nanjing, Shenyang and Harbin and such. The division between tiers 2 and 3 is murky, some people limit tier 2 to developed provincial capitals, others don't. That distinction would make Wuhu tier 3 and Hefei tier 2, despite the fact that Wuhu is kinda nice while Hefei sucks.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Does this relate to cost of living, quality of accommodation, (un)employment rate/job opportunities, earnings etc?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Also the cost of living has no real bearing on the Tier system, which is actually decided by the Chinese government based on economic development.

For instance, Sanya and Hangzhou are Tier 3 and 2 cities respectively, but pretty drat expensive. Hangzhou is right up there with Shanghai and Beijing in cost of living and well below Guangzhou which is considered Tier 1. Chengdu is one of the cheapest to live in cities in China and is supposedly almost a Tier 1 city since they got all these huge tech giants (Cisco, Microsofy, IBM, Sony, etc..) to set up offices here.

6500 in Shanghai is no issue. In Jingan itself it might be a tiny issue, especially if you want stuff like pools in your complex, but you should be able to live very well off that there.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

BadAstronaut posted:

Does this relate to cost of living, quality of accommodation, (un)employment rate/job opportunities, earnings etc?

Basically

First Tier - Joberg, Cape Town, Durban

Second Tier - Bloem, PE, East London

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magna Kaser posted:

Also the cost of living has no real bearing on the Tier system, which is actually decided by the Chinese government based on economic development.

Is there an official Chinese-government tier list?

BadAstronaut posted:

Tier-1 is where most of the non-teaching job (if not business) opportunities for foreigners are, as you go down things generally get more specialized, harder to come by, or lower-paying.

Housing prices are kind of all over the map...Suzhou is, from what I've seen, like 2/3 as expensive as Beijing, but also-tier-2 (AFAIK) Hefei is like 1/4 or so. Food prices don't vary much from city to city or tier to tier. Brick-and-mortar retail clothes DO, from what I'm told by my wife (who actually cares).

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

My old apartment complex in Beijing which I lived in for 3 years had a full sized indoor heated olympic swimming pool, 2 tennis courts, 2 basketball courts, 1 soccer field, and a full clubhouse with karaoke rooms, racquetball courts pool tables, ping pong tables, and other poo poo all for under 5k a month.

Dunno where you guys were looking.