Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It's the year 1242 and my norse bloodline has formed scandanavia, taken all of ireland and most of scotland, and is in the middle of a Great Holy War for England. What do I do next? Is it time to just restart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSaturday
May 1, 2012

Dr. Tough posted:

Sometimes it takes them a while to show up, but they should arrive eventually and kick everyone's poo poo in.

I'm preparing my Roman Empire rear end to save the world from the Mongols and then the Aztecs. I'd read that fantasy series.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

KittyEmpress posted:

It's the year 1242 and my norse bloodline has formed scandanavia, taken all of ireland and most of scotland, and is in the middle of a Great Holy War for England. What do I do next? Is it time to just restart?

I hear France is lovely this time of the century.

Seriously, expanding until you collapse is some of the best advice for a game like this. Failure should be welcomed for the potential to tell a story.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
I never really played nations who had gavelkind before the old gods. I'm still a bit confused as to why, upon a ruler's death, some sons become independent states. I was under the impression your king's holdings would be split evenly amongst sons/daughters depending on the gender succession laws, but they would still be my vassals. Am I doing something wrong or does this always happen? How do you keep a kingdom in tact if it just turns into independent states during gavelkind?

Yes, I know the answer is to simply switch from gavelkind as soon as possible, but that's not an option for the Norse at this time.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

MrSaturday posted:

I'm preparing my Roman Empire rear end to save the world from the Mongols and then the Aztecs. I'd read that fantasy series.

Someone oughta write it. CKII seems like a really good spawning ground for alternate history stories and material for low fantasy kinds of works.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Baby Cakes posted:

I never really played nations who had gavelkind before the old gods. I'm still a bit confused as to why, upon a ruler's death, some sons become independent states. I was under the impression your king's holdings would be split evenly amongst sons/daughters depending on the gender succession laws, but they would still be my vassals. Am I doing something wrong or does this always happen? How do you keep a kingdom in tact if it just turns into independent states during gavelkind?

Yes, I know the answer is to simply switch from gavelkind as soon as possible, but that's not an option for the Norse at this time.

It's because you own more than one duchy or county title. If you owned only a single duchy, then all of your county-level holdings would be split up among your sons, with your heir, the oldest son, holding the duchy. At that point, all the sons would remain as vassals. If you owned more than one duchy, your first son would get your first duchy, your second son would get your second, and so forth. Since dukes cannot have other dukes as vassals, your sons would therefore become independent.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I am having one of the craziest games I have ever seen. I started in the Old Gods starts date using CK+. The game started with me cheating myself into a merchant republic in the Byzantine Empire. the year is currently 937. Through a series of deaths one of the Karlings inherited East Francia, Bavaria, Lombardy, Lotharingia, and Burgandy. This resulted in the AI creating the Holy Roman Empire around 915. The initial viking invasions of England failed so the island is controlled almost entirely by Catholics. Alania has managed to totally absorb Georgia and create its own kingdom and expanded in to Armenia. Two of the initial starting Jewish Khazars have managed to survive and have the same heir who will inherit three duchies. Finally super Volga has formed and is dominating the entire north eastern side of the map. I am super interested in seeing where this alternate Europe is heading.

Is is possible for Orthodoxy to spread naturally as far as it is in the Stamford Bridge start? I don't think I have ever seen a pagan convert to it.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
The Franco-Byzantine Empire in my game has totally destroyed the Orthodox religion and its only 1007.

Guess that Great Schism wont be happening this time around.

KittyEmpress posted:

Convert all of Europe to the true religion :black101:, bonus points if you manage it without resorting to boring conquest blobbing.
Save and restart as a different ruler, maybe an upstart duke thats going to try and topple your mighty empire.
Play as England and try and manage to survive that holy war.
Get control of another Empire and switch to Gavelkind succession or destroy the Empire of Scanadinavia and switch to Gavelkind. Try and set up a Norse version of the Karling Dynasty. (seriously the 876 start date has consistently had the most entertaining mainland Europe)
Capture the Pope, the Patriarch of Constantinople, the Sunni and Shia Caliphs and sacrifice them all to Odin in the most awesome Blot ever.w

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So while I've been waiting for the final CK2+ update, I've had a hankering to play some CK2 (especially now that I own all the DLC). Has anyone tried Project Balance? Looking at it, it seems to have most of the features I'd like (except for the great Titular title system from CK2+), but some goon opinions on it would be nice.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Ethiser posted:

Is is possible for Orthodoxy to spread naturally as far as it is in the Stamford Bridge start? I don't think I have ever seen a pagan convert to it.
For Norse Pagans, of which the Rurik dynasty (the one who owns most of Eastern Europe in 1066) is in 876, it could happen if a son goes off to join the Varangian guard, gets the event that converts him to Orthodox and then inherits.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

BBJoey posted:

So while I've been waiting for the final CK2+ update, I've had a hankering to play some CK2 (especially now that I own all the DLC). Has anyone tried Project Balance? Looking at it, it seems to have most of the features I'd like (except for the great Titular title system from CK2+), but some goon opinions on it would be nice.

I haven't, but you can add a Titular Title system pretty easily, based off any mod you want, using this thing.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll
I'm a total spazz, so I can't find any way to launch a raid or invasion as a Norse ruler. Do you need to be of a certain rank, or am I simply missing a few buttons somewhere?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Raiding is a button toggle you push when you've selected an army in friendly territory. It looks like an axe and/or torch and when you click it, it lights up.

SpRahl posted:

The Franco-Byzantine Empire in my game has totally destroyed the Orthodox religion and its only 1007.

I'm in the mid 900s and the Abbasids have completely eaten the Byzantium Empire :stare:, I'm almost right next door sitting in South-Eastern Europe.

I just wanted to see what Orthodoxy was like, but not like this.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

DrSunshine posted:

You... you can marry other rulers, you know. Just because your husband becomes landed is no grounds for dismissing the marriage. It just means that your and his child will likely inherit both your holdings.

No, the really silly thing is being able to sire offspring at home in Iceland while your ruler is off participating in a Crusade in Jerusalem, or marrying the Queen of France as the Tsar of Russia. I guess long-distance relationships were pretty feasible!

When I first started playing, I remember the first time I made my king's wife the spymaster and then immediately thought "No wait, if I send her over the research technology in Constantinople all the time she'll never be able to produce an heir! :ohdear:"

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

HotCanadianChick posted:

Was it a matrilineal marriage? If it wasn't, your daughter won't be of your dynasty and it'll be game over when your current character dies and the daughter inherits.

It was, I made sure of that when I did the marriage. Now my old ruler has passed on and ironically it's the sister who took over after she died. Thankfully while she was AI control for about 18 years the husband she had was also a matrilneal marriage.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
A week or two ago we were talking about the Trade Practises research, and I thought you needed level 2 in it before you could actually build it -- but not anymore, it seems. The tooltip on the research screen still shows -100% at level 1, but on the republic screen it shows it's actually a -80% in practise, which allows you build one straight off the bat, at least.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Baby Cakes posted:

Vassals have to be of a lower tier (so kings can't have other kings as vassals, for example), if you have more than one title in your highest tier (Kingdom of Scotland and Kingdom of England, say) and they ever wind up held by different people, then they'll be independent of each other. If you want your blob to stay together, you need to either make sure there's only one top-level title to pass out at succession, or make sure there's only one person available to inherit.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Crusader Kings 2 Collection on Steam and The Old Gods is everything of substance, right? Everything else is just cosmetic? And I should disable Sunset Invasion before playing because Aztecs or what have you are dicks?

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Dan Didio posted:

The Crusader Kings 2 Collection on Steam and The Old Gods is everything of substance, right? Everything else is just cosmetic? And I should disable Sunset Invasion before playing because Aztecs or what have you are dicks?

Seems about right, though that collection pack does have alot of cosmetic stuff in it too. It has all of the content DLC except for The Old Gods.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The CK2 DLC collection does not yet include The Old Golds, the Celtic packs, the Norse packs, Hymns to the Old Golds, or Dynasty Shields III yet. But that's only another £4, and I dropped the 72p for the packs I didn't have quite willingly. :shrug:

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Yeah yeah, everyone's already said it, but HOLY CRAP THE OLD GODS AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS 75% OFF!

Get in on this NOW, you miserly goons! I know I just did!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I'm about to walk out the door on a trip (without my computer). Good thing I saw this thread, just snagged Old Gods and a couple of the 45 cent DLCs. It'll be nice when I forget about it and get back, like a surprise for myself. A loving viking surprise.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

KlavoHunter posted:

Yeah yeah, everyone's already said it, but HOLY CRAP THE OLD GODS AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS 75% OFF!

Yeah, this actually got me to buy the music packs. Why not?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

Yeah, this actually got me to buy the music packs. Why not?

I bought all the music packs last time everything was 75% off. Fwiw, I think they're the best dlc that doesn't actually add new content.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

BBJoey posted:

I'm using it right now for my Polotsk/Lithuania game. It's pretty good, I wouldn't say it's better or worse than CK2+, just different.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Wow, has it even been a month since the last one of these?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If I buy The Old Gods and activate it right away will it mess up my current save game? I'm in my first run through and I've almost made the empire of Britannica and I'd be sad if I had to start over. :(

EDIT: Also is there an easy way to see if you already have a DLC on steam? I have 21 of them and there's 28 of them on sale. I'd rather not have to make two lists in excel and check everything off.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 28, 2013

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

EDIT: Also is there an easy way to see if you already have a DLC on steam? I have 21 of them and there's 28 of them on sale. I'd rather not have to make two lists in excel and check everything off.

Put the entire stack of DLC in the cart, remove everything that has "you already own this game".

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If I buy The Old Gods and activate it right away will it mess up my current save game? I'm in my first run through and I've almost made the empire of Britannica and I'd be sad if I had to start over. :(

Your previous save game won't be affected, and you can check what dlc you have just by right clicking CK2 in your steam library.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Dan Didio posted:

Sunset Invasion is lame because if you're just starting out and learning the game, the Aztecs will be a game over that fires in 1253 rather than 1453. And then once you've got the game down, Sunset Invasion is lame because you can immediately navy bomb the initial invasion doomstack to defeat them permanently.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Navy bomb?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Load up your entire army on a Fleet (where it doesn't have attrition), lure the enemy doomstack into attacking a smaller army and then once it arrives you unload the army you had on the fleet on top of them.

It's pretty gamey.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

KlavoHunter posted:

Haha great. 3 days after I pay full price for the Old Gods.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

jpmeyer posted:

Sunset Invasion is lame because if you're just starting out and learning the game, the Aztecs will be a game over that fires in 1253 rather than 1453. And then once you've got the game down, Sunset Invasion is lame because you can immediately navy bomb the initial invasion doomstack to defeat them permanently.

How easy/difficult is Sunset Invasion to enable and disable? It still sounds fun and insane and I would want to try it at some point.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Triskelli posted:

How easy/difficult is Sunset Invasion to enable and disable? It still sounds fun and insane and I would want to try it at some point.

It's a matter of checking/unchecking a box in the game launch screen, like any of the other DLCs.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
So I played this game a lot with CK2+ when it first came out, but haven't done much since Republic/Old Gods. Picked up everything I was missing today and was wondering if CK2+ was still necessary. The things I appreciated most was the smaller demesne size and, most importantly, the smaller armies that helped prevent the huge empires from always winning. Is the base game good enough now that I should just adjust? Are there other mods that solve my issues?

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

CaptCommy posted:

So I played this game a lot with CK2+ when it first came out, but haven't done much since Republic/Old Gods. Picked up everything I was missing today and was wondering if CK2+ was still necessary. The things I appreciated most was the smaller demesne size and, most importantly, the smaller armies that helped prevent the huge empires from always winning. Is the base game good enough now that I should just adjust? Are there other mods that solve my issues?

I've been using the better armies mod that comes bundled with CK2+ and it's got a really nice balance.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kainser posted:

Load up your entire army on a Fleet (where it doesn't have attrition), lure the enemy doomstack into attacking a smaller army and then once it arrives you unload the army you had on the fleet on top of them.

It's pretty gamey.

You don't even really need a decoy because your army disembarks faster than the enemy can move over land.

The Seljuks are my most hated invasion. They come near the original start date with Old Gods installed with not so scary doom stacks that will wipe your arse all over the floor in provinces with 7k supply limits and unusable coast.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 28, 2013

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005
Just had a very nasty game starting as Moray in 867 or whatever it is. My Duke got killed in his rebellion for the throne of Scotland, causing his nephew, Donald II, the son & heir of the king to inherit the duchy and also the war for the throne. The war was at the point where I could press demands, so Donald usurps his own father at 10 years old.

I decide it's gonna be a dark game, so I blind the deposed king, lock up my half-brother and the second one when he arrives. After a few years of terrible rule where Fife takes its independence and Vikings seize Moray, I become excommunicated and a civil war erupts, which I lose very badly (one of the conditions of losing was that I lost excommunicated status, might've been a bug). Cue the succession of the most eligible heir to the throne, Donald II's only son.

But due to a terrible decision somewhere, Donald II is not only a free man, he's the regent and not even disinherited. I make him spymaster, and with a pretty crap skill rating of 4 his AI launches 4 or 5 assassination attempts within a month, with the last one being successful.

Back in command :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'll email Wiz about it but maybe someone can give me a quick fix. I loaded up CK2+ and Venice is not playable in the Old Gods start, because I think the game thinks its a regular republic, not a merchant republic. It works fine in the 1066 start, and any date in the vanilla game.

Is there a quick fix to just change it to a merchant republic?

• Locked thread