Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Umpire Weekend
Apr 10, 2006

I backed my car into a cop car the other day
Well he just drove off sometimes life's OK

DFu4ever posted:

Having watched it recently I would have to disagree. The movie holds up extremely well. Original story, solid acting, good effects, and great tension. I'd still argue it's one of the best horror films ever made.
I really like Event Horizon, I think it's fun and creepy, but if you think it's one of the best horror movies ever made, you really need to watch more horror movies, because it doesn't even crack the top twenty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

And, since I was the one that countered it, the problem with Event Horizon is that it's so overshadowed in its subgenre of horror by better but similar enough films that it becomes pointless (while being derivative in itself of many of those films). Hellraiser 1 + 2 cover most of the themes and imagery much much better. If I want a weird movie with Sam Neil losing it, I'll just watch In The Mouth of Madness. I've seen it as "good if you haven't seen any other horror of the type" which is perfect when you're younger, but it becomes less than a footnote once you have, and loses value when you see how things were pieced together to make it (while stripped of much of their bite). Resident Evil 1 has similar issues.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fox is dialing back expectations for The Wolverine. They originally estimated a $75 million weekend debut, but now it's looking closer to the $50-55 million range. Thankfully for the studio this only cost $100 million.

http://variety.com/2013/film/box-office/box-office-wolverine-carves-out-21-million-friday-1200568879/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fox is dialing back expectations for The Wolverine. They originally estimated a $75 million weekend debut, but now it's looking closer to the $50-55 million range. Thankfully for the studio this only cost $100 million.

http://variety.com/2013/film/box-office/box-office-wolverine-carves-out-21-million-friday-1200568879/

Our theater wasn't even half full. Everyone I've talked to who hasn't seen it expects it to be as bad as Origins. Hopefully word of mouth will help the film do better.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm surprised that Origins is still causing problems for Wolverine, considering this movie had a ton of marketing behind it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm surprised that Origins is still causing problems for Wolverine, considering this movie had a ton of marketing behind it.

People saw a movie they hated and you expect them to forget that when they see a sequel being advertised?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Darko posted:

And, since I was the one that countered it, the problem with Event Horizon is that it's so overshadowed in its subgenre of horror by better but similar enough films that it becomes pointless (while being derivative in itself of many of those films). Hellraiser 1 + 2 cover most of the themes and imagery much much better. If I want a weird movie with Sam Neil losing it, I'll just watch In The Mouth of Madness. I've seen it as "good if you haven't seen any other horror of the type" which is perfect when you're younger, but it becomes less than a footnote once you have, and loses value when you see how things were pieced together to make it (while stripped of much of their bite). Resident Evil 1 has similar issues.
What if I want to see a movie where Sam Neil is the evil bad guy? Daybreakers or Omen III?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look what happened to Dredd, though I don't think the Sylvester Stallone movie was that bad of stupid movie to watch with your friends.

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

What if I want to see a movie where Sam Neil is the evil bad guy? Daybreakers or Omen III?

Possession. Definitely Possession. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3GiZ36_Iuw

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Watch all eight episodes of Happy Town and pretend it's a long-rear end weird remake of Twin Peaks that was never finished or, really, started.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still don't understand all the hate for Origins. It was infinitely better than X3 & I also enjoyed more than First Class.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"Better than X3" isn't saying very much. As for better than First Class, well, there's no accounting for taste, but you're literally the only person I've ever seen say that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The reason First Class was so good was that the movie basically perfected and held a consistent, light, somewhat kitschy tone from top to bottom that matched its source material and era in which it was set. While having legitimately good scenes, dynamic enough direction, an entertaining enough villain with a fun enough power, and a couple of great performances. It had the most "good" of any of the movies throughout even if there were standouts in other movies like X-2's Nightcrawler scene that may have been better. that's why, when people say stuff like "Origins Wolverine was better" I can't even figure out what framework they're working with, outside of "it showed me something I wanted to see in the plot."

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
X3 is actually one of my favorite X films. I never understood all the hate.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Devour posted:

I still don't understand all the hate for Origins. It was infinitely better than X3 & I also enjoyed more than First Class.

Crunk Abortion posted:

X3 is actually one of my favorite X films. I never understood all the hate.

:what:

Is this a joke? Did someone organize a joke in the Comic Book Movie Thread? Rhyno? Was this you?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think it's underrated because people are mad that certain things happened to certain characters that they didn't want to happen. Or that it didn't "do justice" to a comic storyline in a way they wanted. Which is mostly irrelevant when talking about a single film (without a legitimate counterpoint as to why alternatives would have made a superior narrative).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's very good, but I still find it to be more watchable than the 1st in retrospect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Is this a joke? Did someone organize a joke in the Comic Book Movie Thread? Rhyno? Was this you?

No, I think these guys are serious!

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Tuxedo Jack posted:

They cast Kelsey Grammar as Beast, for gods sake! Really the first half of the movie is pretty solid, the only part that sucks is once Jean gets together with Magneto they don't really go anywhere with it. And too much super jumping for no reason in the climactic fight.

If I had to rank them it'd look like:
  • First Class
  • The nightcrawler fight scene
  • X3
  • The rest of X2
  • Origins
  • X-Men

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I'm not going to bother rehashing all of the problems that I, personally, have with the X-Films.

Everyone has a right to like whatever movies they want, so if you dig it, so be it. Personally, I think all of the X-Men movies are poo poo, except for parts of the first two, and parts of First Class. I have zero faith in Days of the Future Past, and won't be giving Fox anymore of my money on this franchise. I'll wait for the eventual reboot.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

TheJoker138 posted:

Event Horizon is the best Doom movie that will ever be made.

It also has the best, and arguably most realistic response to the discovery of paranormal elements on a derelict ship in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds2JB0zJ6ks

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kevin Bacon was absolutely amazing in First Class. Also every scene with Charles and Erik was really good. The action bits in First Class were pretty lame though. They felt so tacked-on, like they knew they couldnt make an X-Men movie without some mutants fighting eventually.

Plus they killed the black guy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Travis343 posted:

He'll be fine in a movie or two. It's his entire power.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Travis343 posted:

Kevin Bacon was absolutely amazing in First Class. Also every scene with Charles and Erik was really good. The action bits in First Class were pretty lame though. They felt so tacked-on, like they knew they couldnt make an X-Men movie without some mutants fighting eventually.

The black guy always died in the 60's :)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

Event Horizon is the best Doom movie that will ever be made.
Event Horizon is the best Warhammer movie ever made. The first time humans breached the Warp and became corrupted by Chaos.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

X3 is a movie packed with with anticlimaxes, its seriously so goddamn committed to undercutting itself at every turn.

Cyclops dies offscreen.
Sentinals are in it but its a simulation.
Angel's introduced and has basically no plot purpose.
Magneto loses his powers but not really.
Professor Xavier dies but not really.
We get a big all out mutant war where the enemy mutants powers are to run at the heroes and try to punch them.
We get a mutant cure and yay, I guess the problem wasnt humanities bigotry after all. It was those darn evil mutants.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline

Travis343 posted:

Also every scene with Charles and Erik was really good.

I agree, both of those scenes were pretty good.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

massive spider posted:

X3 is a movie packed with with anticlimaxes, its seriously so goddamn committed to undercutting itself at every turn.

Cyclops dies offscreen.
Sentinals are in it but its a simulation.
Angel's introduced and has basically no plot purpose.
Magneto loses his powers but not really.
Professor Xavier dies but not really.
We get a big all out mutant war where the enemy mutants powers are to run at the heroes and try to punch them.
We get a mutant cure and yay, I guess the problem wasnt humanities bigotry after all. It was those darn evil mutants.

Angel was hilariously pointless. He saved his dad, in pretty much a totally unrelated plot to the rest of the movie. Like imagine Angel and all his scenes not being in the movie at all, you lose nothing. I can't think of anything more pointless.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

XMen 3 has this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6lVZ-y0ULc

First Class has this (although the main/Magneto themes are overplayed in the films):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LYzQIZeuRg

The other movies have stuff, like, blargh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S5bH4ona2s

...therefore, X3 rises in merit just from having an enjoyable score to listen to outside of the film.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
I can only really think of this theme when I think X-Men First Class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCPOcGla1rs

I guess it's not that bad on its own, but it's played probably four or five times and was VERY out of place in the scene with Magneto and the Nazis at the bar.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Dirk Digglet posted:

I can only really think of this theme when I think X-Men First Class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCPOcGla1rs

I guess it's not that bad on its own, but it's played probably four or five times and was VERY out of place in the scene with Magneto and the Nazis at the bar.

I remember thinking the exact same thing. That scene would have been so much more effective if it was done without music like a tense Tarantino dialogue scene.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Travis343 posted:

First Class actually made mutants scary. Can't remember his name, but the Nightcrawler guy teleporting people into the sky and having them fall to their death was pretty unsettling.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
First Class has a lot of things wrong with it but it has this vibe and this energy to it that sands over the bad parts in a way that you don't normally see with big budget superhero franchise entries. There's something downright weird to it in a way I really like.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I remember thinking the exact same thing. That scene would have been so much more effective if it was done without music like a tense Tarantino dialogue scene.

If it was done well, they could make an entire movie called Erik Lenchur: Nazi Hunter and I would watch the poo poo out of it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it started out as a Magneto Origins movie but they tacked on the other stuff. It felt like two different movies in one.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it started out as a Magneto Origins movie but they tacked on the other stuff. It felt like two different movies in one.

I definitely remember Magneto Origins being announced at the same time Wolverine Origins was, so you might be on to something there.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Pretty sure First Class was Frankensteined together from two different scripts and was put together on a really short timeframe. It's amazing that the movie turned out as good as it did.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pops Mgee posted:

Pretty sure First Class was Frankensteined together from two different scripts and was put together on a really short timeframe. It's amazing that the movie turned out as good as it did.

A lot of it is the cast. Fassbender especially because casting him as Magneto was just perfect.

(But also Rose Byrne, even if she doesn't have a Scots accent...)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Fassbender is good in every role no matter how lovely the movie (Prometheus)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

I definitely remember Magneto Origins being announced at the same time Wolverine Origins was, so you might be on to something there.

The MO film was killed almost immediately because McKellen said he had no interest in returning to the character. Singer is the only reason he and Stewart came back for DOFP.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sockser posted:

Fassbender is good in every role no matter how lovely the movie (Prometheus)

Buddy, this ain't the kind place for that kind of talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

First Class has a lot of things wrong with it but it has this vibe and this energy to it that sands over the bad parts in a way that you don't normally see with big budget superhero franchise entries. There's something downright weird to it in a way I really like.

It's a movie that combines James Bond and 19th-century literature with dumb comicbook movie bullshit to create a camped-up sexual revolution analogy featuring a literal gaydar. It's the careful balance of Adam West Batman tone and straight-faced Importance that saves it, even if it's ultimately just okay.

• Locked thread