Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

It means we are getting closer to the episode were Superman beats a retarded Bizarro to death while crying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPb8ktFo3po

EDIT: so how bout that avengers assemble, eh? aint so bad if you go in with low expectations and the bizarre realization that its essentially that watchmen cartoon parody from a few years back :v:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Avengers Assemble as so far been the most generic cartoon possible. It almost feels like its from the early to mid 90's at times. Hawkeye tends to be a bit funny I guess.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Teen Titans Go is growing on me a bit. It can be funny sometimes, but.. when they fired Beast Boy, that was a pretty funny episode all the way around.

Also, I'm happy there was a call out to Howard the Duck and Devil Dinosaur on Ultimate Spiderman. I'd be happy to see them animated. Honestly, I'd love a Spidey show that was more like Brave and the Bold, where he just teams up with random people.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PicklePants posted:

Teen Titans Go is growing on me a bit. It can be funny sometimes, but.. when they fired Beast Boy, that was a pretty funny episode all the way around.

Also, I'm happy there was a call out to Howard the Duck and Devil Dinosaur on Ultimate Spiderman. I'd be happy to see them animated. Honestly, I'd love a Spidey show that was more like Brave and the Bold, where he just teams up with random people.

Certainly wouldn't be the first time. "Marvel Team-Up" volume 1 was a comic book that ran for years and years and was kind of a misleading title as it was really "Spider-Man Team-Up" for all but a handful of its issues.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Clips of Anarky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmuYoEC3YeE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt5R5IvILjg

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Anarky so far seems generic crime lord (kind of reminds me a little of Amon), for a moment I thought that the red haired boy at the beginning of the first clip it would be Anarky.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anarky so far seems generic crime lord (kind of reminds me a little of Amon), for a moment I thought that the red haired boy at the beginning of the first clip it would be Anarky.

I think that guy is based on Doodlebug from Arkham living hell. The other guy is Junkyard Dog after all.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, Morrison was really right that it seems off and creepy for Batman to deal with petty crime.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I hope Batman doesn't fall into the incredibly slow-moving...gear...thing! :ohdear:

Timeless Appeal posted:

Man, Morrison was really right that it seems off and creepy for Batman to deal with petty crime.
Sims put it best:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 26, 2013

Veotax
May 16, 2006

redbackground posted:

I hope Batman doesn't fall into the incredibly slow-moving...gear...thing! :ohdear:

It's the Bullwheel driving the cable car.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
This is cute. It's a cartoon being made in Pakistan to promote education for girls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isd72k3XOFE

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
That Green Arrow short was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVRiADlDEig

But why oh why does every single kiss have to have the woman let out a little moan in every modern DC animated series.

It's always:

1) "One liner" :smug:
2) Kiss
3) "mmm"

:psyduck:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

spikenigma posted:

That Green Arrow short was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVRiADlDEig

But why oh why does every single kiss have to have the woman let out a little moan in every modern DC animated series.

It's always:

1) "One liner" :smug:
2) Kiss
3) "mmm"

:psyduck:
My problem with this short is that Green Arrow gets his bell rung by just some guy. It's not like Richard Dragon or Lady Shiva shows up, just "guy in a bandanna".

Also, I appreciate the teaser picture they picked for the Catwoman short.

Classy. As. gently caress.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I don't think there's a single woman in that short who isn't a hooker or stripper.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

My problem with this short is that Green Arrow gets his bell rung by just some guy. It's not like Richard Dragon or Lady Shiva shows up, just "guy in a bandanna".

Also, I appreciate the teaser picture they picked for the Catwoman short.

Catwoman is supposed to be a sexpot, but even I thought this too much.

SRM posted:

I don't think there's a single woman in that short who isn't a hooker or stripper.
And all the men are gangsters. What's your point?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

This is cute. It's a cartoon being made in Pakistan to promote education for girls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isd72k3XOFE
Made with Garry's Mod, apparently.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Baron Bifford posted:

You can't be that dense.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not creepy, but pointless. The police handle petty crime pretty well (how does Batman get to the crime scenes before the police do, anyway?).

I thought Anarky was anti-government (like proper anarchists are). Why does he think trashing mom-and-pop convenience stores help the cause?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Baron Bifford posted:

Catwoman is supposed to be a sexpot, but even I thought this too much.

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can't be that dense.
He's got quite a rap sheet. Who the heck is this dumbass?

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Batman: The Animated Series also tends to cast a long shadow over the series. Indeed, the show was fantastic and has some amazing things. It was also incredibly inconsistent, and there are a lot of lovely episodes in it. If you asked me to watch a random episode of Superman: The Animated Series or Batman, I’d go with the former because it was much more consistently good.

Another mistake that people tend to make when discussing the Universe is that it was a one or two man operation with Bruce Timm handling design and Paul Dini handling the story. Both men are incredibly overcredited, although Timm is much closer to being the architect of the series. If, for example, you want the man that was responsible for Justice League Unlimited, that was Dwayne McDuffie.

I knew I wasn't the only one who thought Superman: The Animated Series was much better and much more consistent than Batman: The Animated Series.

The Superman show's "filler" episodes can be classified as good episodes as well, while Batman's "filler" episodes were atrociously bad.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I don't think Superman had as many stand out episodes, is the thing. That first Apokolips two-parter is probably the high point, but what else holds a candle to that? I can think of a lot of good episodes, but not many more great ones. With Batman, sure, there's stuff like the Cool Hand Luke episode or the sewer king, but you've also got Mad Love, or Heart of Ice, or The Man Who Killed Batman.

So if you're going to marathon a show, go with Superman. If you're gonna watch one or two episodes, pick one or two good Batman episodes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

HitTheTargets posted:

I don't think Superman had as many stand out episodes, is the thing. That first Apokolips two-parter is probably the high point, but what else holds a candle to that? I can think of a lot of good episodes, but not many more great ones. With Batman, sure, there's stuff like the Cool Hand Luke episode or the sewer king, but you've also got Mad Love, or Heart of Ice, or The Man Who Killed Batman.

So if you're going to marathon a show, go with Superman. If you're gonna watch one or two episodes, pick one or two good Batman episodes.

Ironically, my favorite Superman episode is Knight Time, which is essentially a Batman episode, because Superman is stuffed in a Batsuit and acts like Batman for 75% of the episode. It has all sorts of Silver Age goofiness in it, like Superman flawlessly imitating Batman's (and Robin's) voice because of super-bullshit-muscle control, and Superman fumbling through fights trying to act weaker than he is in order to make sure people think Batman's in town.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HitTheTargets posted:

The Apokolips finale that ends with the death of Dan Turpin is the most powerful half hour of animation ever produced.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

It means we are getting closer to the episode were Superman beats a retarded Bizarro to death while crying.

We did get an episode of Justice League Unlimited where Hawkgirl beat a retarded Solomon Grundy to death. I believe tears were shed.

Also, I hope you guys aren't trash talking the Cool Hand Luke Batman episode because that episode rules.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 28, 2013

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Rhyno posted:

The Apokolips finale that ends with the death of Dan Turpin is the most powerful half hour of animation ever produced.

That is quite the statement. For me, the first five minutes of Up are more powerful than that.

But let's play fair. Within the DCAU, I'd say that this was more powerful:

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Superman TAS is much more.. boring and stilted vs Batman TAS. It has some good episodes but most of it is pretty awful and hard to watch, even in the face of some of the worst BTAS episodes. When I had re-watched the entire DCAU over the course of a couple weeks, I actually skipped 80% of STAS because they are mostly so uninteresting.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Ironically, my favorite Superman episode is Knight Time, which is essentially a Batman episode, because Superman is stuffed in a Batsuit and acts like Batman for 75% of the episode. It has all sorts of Silver Age goofiness in it, like Superman flawlessly imitating Batman's (and Robin's) voice because of super-bullshit-muscle control, and Superman fumbling through fights trying to act weaker than he is in order to make sure people think Batman's in town.

Knight Time is so much fun. The reactions of the villains is the best thing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
"Break the table."

*effortlessly smashes table to pieces*

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

Well now that I really think about it. I've realized that I liked the Superman TAS the most out of all the DC animated series, I haven't watched Young Justice nor Teen Titans so I can't say anything about those.

My problem with Justice League was that a lot of the episodes in the early seasons seemed really toned-down and mellow, or that they didn't really reach expectations. I thought the interaction between the characters were a bit stiff at times, which is definitely strange, and the intensity wasn't there sometimes. Like when I read JLA comics there were stories where they were fighting Angels and Demons, and Rock of Ages, Tower of Babel, The End of the Justice League, Absolute Power, War of the Worlds, World War 3 etc...those stories were intense, you felt that things could go really bad but in the show a lot of the episodes just lacked that feeling for some reason. It did get better in Justice League Unlimited when The Question and Green Arrow joined, it became more interesting and the stakes were higher.

And with Batman TAS, yes there were many memorable episodes, but I felt that there were a lot of episodes even with the A-List villain, felt a bit flat. I didn't enjoy a lot of the Joker episodes, nor the Penguin episodes, I really liked Two-Face and Mr.Freeze though. I think it was more due to restrictions more than anything here. The comic versions of those villains are obviously psychotic and murderous, and the show can't really show that stuff. I hated that Bane episode where Batman just defeats Bane easily. The Ra's Al Ghul episodes felt the closest to the comics and they were really intense.

Since Superman doesn't really have a lot of serial killer psycho villains, so the show can be closer to the original material.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I won't argue with any of that, but I want to add that one thing Batman has that Superman doesn't is Harley Quinn. Are you watching a Harley Quinn episode? You are watching A Good Episode. She was made for the show, so you don't get that slightly off feeling you get if you're used to the murderous psychopath version of the Joker or Penguin.

Superman, on the other hand, has Livewire and Volcana. :geno:

Edit: What I'm getting at, or want to anyway, is that Batman has higher highs and lower lows. And Harley Quinn is a hell of a drug.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 28, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
My favorite episode of STAS will always be the Lobo episode, they got the perfect voice actor for that role.

Also the Clayface episodes of BTAS were really good, I felt so bad for Clayface :smith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Another really good STAS episode is The Late Mr. Kent, where Clark survives a car bomb but all evidence says that he should be dead, so Superman and Lois have to solve the case while while Superman simultaneously tries to figure out how to bullshit up a way for Clark Kent to have survived.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Revol posted:

But let's play fair. Within the DCAU, I'd say that this was more powerful:

This was a really really great scene

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rueish posted:

Superman TAS is much more.. boring and stilted vs Batman TAS. It has some good episodes but most of it is pretty awful and hard to watch, even in the face of some of the worst BTAS episodes. When I had re-watched the entire DCAU over the course of a couple weeks, I actually skipped 80% of STAS because they are mostly so uninteresting.

I don't think calling S:TAS awful is in any way accurate. It may not have been the best DCAU series, but nothing was going to reach the heights of B:TAS or JLU. The only outright bad episode I can think of was the Livewire one and that is probably only because it seemed like it was on every time I turned it on while the show was still on TV. But anyway, compare S:TAS to anything running concurrently and it was a pretty loving fantastic show. Being only the third best DCAU show (dead in the middle if you consider JL a separate thing from JLU or if you want to count Zeta Project and/or Static Shock) is hardly a bad thing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think calling S:TAS awful is in any way accurate. It may not have been the best DCAU series, but nothing was going to reach the heights of B:TAS or JLU. The only outright bad episode I can think of was the Livewire one and that is probably only because it seemed like it was on every time I turned it on while the show was still on TV. But anyway, compare S:TAS to anything running concurrently and it was a pretty loving fantastic show. Being only the third best DCAU show (dead in the middle if you consider JL a separate thing from JLU or if you want to count Zeta Project and/or Static Shock) is hardly a bad thing.

Any episode with Metallo in S:TAS was really terrible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Superman was by far the blandest of all the DCU shows and was often exactly what it was supposed to be: a saturday morning cartoon for kids. It sometimes rose above that, but much more rarely than Batman or JLU did. It just barely ekes out Batman Beyond for bland to memorable episode ratio, and McGuinness only gets out of that one because the show was stylish as hell.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Any episode with Metallo in S:TAS was really terrible.

The first two Metallo episodes are great, but after that he got ran into the ground real hard.

Superman in his TAS incarnation also has the unfortunate distinction of headlining what is undoubtedly the worst animated movie in modern comics media:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TwoPair posted:

Another really good STAS episode is The Late Mr. Kent, where Clark survives a car bomb but all evidence says that he should be dead, so Superman and Lois have to solve the case while while Superman simultaneously tries to figure out how to bullshit up a way for Clark Kent to have survived.

Oh, good episode. The other thing about that episode that I like is it's got probably one of my all time favourite quotes about Superman which perfectly explains any notion of Superman being real and Clark Kent being a mask.

quote:

But I am Clark. I need to be Clark. I'd go crazy if I had to be Superman all the time!

It's also got a deliciously black ending, where the real murderer figures out how Kent was able to survive, just as he's being executed.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Lurdiak posted:

Superman was by far the blandest of all the DCU shows and was often exactly what it was supposed to be: a saturday morning cartoon for kids. It sometimes rose above that, but much more rarely than Batman or JLU did. It just barely ekes out Batman Beyond for bland to memorable episode ratio, and McGuinness only gets out of that one because the show was stylish as hell.

Hey now, Superman was nowhere near as bland as The Zeta Project!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Starsnostars posted:

Hey now, Superman was nowhere near as bland as The Zeta Project!
We don't talk about The Zeta Project

• Locked thread