Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Endless Mike posted:

The crystal litter owns and is better than clumping litter IMO.

What does the clumping litter do about urine?

What I'm trying to say is, I would like to know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
does it look like tv meth can you make a we need to cook joke

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What does the clumping litter do about urine?

What I'm trying to say is, I would like to know more.

technically the "clumping" part is what it does with urine so you can scoop up clumps of catte pisse, but in reality, if you try to scoop it, it just breaks apart anyway while the crystals absorb the urine and seem to hold a lot more. i dunno, my experience is this: clumping is better in that when your cat inevitably kicks it all over the place, it's not as horrible to step on, but the crystals last a lot longer in the box before smelling like cat piss. also the crystals are a desiccant so the poop doesn't stink as long, either.

i will add an afterward that this is entirely based on the couple clumping litters i've used and there might be some really awesome ones out there

Xanthine
Nov 8, 2008

cat gender is a social construct
the only terrible litter i've seen is the stuff that looks like rabbit kibble (little brown cylinders) it does absolutely nothing to cover the smell or hide the poo poo

my friend's roommates use it and their house smells like cat piss and poo poo all the time

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My mom always used a layer of crystals on the bottom, with a layer of clumping litter on top of it. My cat dislikes the crystals, but is fine if one of two "appear" in the litter from time to time. She had some sort of super human nose that apparently could tell if it was less smelly or not.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Xanthine posted:

the only terrible litter i've seen is the stuff that looks like rabbit kibble (little brown cylinders) it does absolutely nothing to cover the smell or hide the poo poo

my friend's roommates use it and their house smells like cat piss and poo poo all the time

We use that one for Beyoncé and Sonja, after trying most other types - it's small pellets of compressed wood. As you say it doesn't mask the smell in any way, but the bonus is that it's flushable, and the cats don't drag it across the house.

We've tried most variants of clumping litter, and every time we end up with litter spread out over the entire first floor. We also tried the crystal type, and the cats were afraid of using it (due to the sound?)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
:catstare:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
god drat jay zero, congrats on getting what appears to be an awesome cat

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Xanthine posted:

i use a litter that's basically that, but smaller pellets and can still clump. it makes it easier for my cats to cover their dook with it, and sucks up pee pretty well into something flushable too. FYI if their house smells like cat piss they just don't scoop enough and are lazy twats hth

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
we switched from clumping to the crystal litter about six months ago and i don't see me ever going back. crystal litter almost completely eliminates the odor, it's amazing

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
costco litter is great. i think it's a combination of clumping and crystals. the only time i get odors is when the cat drops one and doesn't cover it up. i think she does this to piss me off because i don't want to play at 3 in the morning.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
from pyf

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
some new frank and ginger pics

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Ripe & Reddy

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

hey so what brand is this crystal litter you're all praising

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
in australia there are a bunch of brands and i haven't really noticed a difference between them

i don't recall seeing it much if at all in the USA but i wasn't really looking either

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it looks like this

it's silica crystals, which are extremely hygroscopic. it dries out turds and pee completely, which eliminates the stank almost completely

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

bear please what are you doing that's neither bear nor cat

well it's slightly cat but still

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it

The Best Christmas posted:

half cat
half bowl

it's a cowl. or a bat

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

good morning Ollie

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

yo so i've been looking for a new catte since mine died last year (RIP katie) and we finally found one!

we found him online and went to pick him up yesterday and he's having a blast.
as soon as we got home we expected him to be a bit shy but he didn't give a poo poo and went exploring all over the house straight away which was awesome and found and used his litterbox properly which was surprising. although he does love being a poo poo and pulling all the litter out and scattering it round the kitchen.

him slave name was socks, but we didn't really like that, so because he went exploring and pulled a bag of pasta out of a cupboard for no apparent reason we call him marco now.

unfortunately unless he's asleep he won't stay still for more than half an attosecond so its pretty hard to get pics, but i did get a few.

he got a little white moustache :3:

what you mean you forgot teh chicken nugets?!

gently caress you litter tray

little pink beans :kimchi:

being a catte is hard work

he has a really high pitched little meow, but his favourite thing to do is chirp at stuff when he's confused. i've never heard a catte chirp at stuff before now! he also makes biscuits constantly if you pet him, and his belly traps rarely ever spring which is quite nice so you can go in for some belly rubs.

however this time the trap was well and truly sprung. also bonus squeak at the start :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUfYP0_E8BE

he also refuses to play with the toys we bought him, but will happily play with a random ball i found years ago. cats :argh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemN3M6fgUg

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it
Pitrolino has some nice pointy teef

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Vitamins posted:

he also refuses to play with the toys we bought him, but will happily play with a random ball i found years ago. cats :argh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemN3M6fgUg

Congrats on your new very pro catte. The start of 2013 may have been full of wonderful cattes going to kitty heaven. Let us take a moment to remember them. However this its turning into an awesome year with all these new cattes finding awesome homes.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

it looks like this

it's silica crystals, which are extremely hygroscopic. it dries out turds and pee completely, which eliminates the stank almost completely

ok yeah I've seen this stuff in stores. I'll give it a try since 2 of my 3 never learned to bury their poo poo and piss so anything to reduce the smell would be wonderful.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
We have that pellet stuff at work, called Yesterday's News. It's like mashed up newspapers put into little pellets. When it gets wet it expands and turns to mush. The upside is that there's no dust and if your cat has had foot surgery (like a declaw) the litter doesn't get stuck in the toes.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Best Christmas posted:

congrats on the cat

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I vacuumed yesterday evening. There are already tufts of cat fur.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

owned

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SUNday motherfuckers.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

sunday morning zoey

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

dur posted:

sunday morning zoey

trap y/n?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

current walt status:

this also took a minute to post because he's walking all over the desk and keeps trying to get my coffee which is now under a hat

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

he just gave zoey a good sniff too

e: loaf

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 28, 2013

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

walt is listening to your soul

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

quick someone take a pic of their floofcat with this pic on the monitor in the background so we can have triple-floof.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
i'm cat feeding again

his name is ukiyo, he belongs to a hipster

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

fat

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

he just gave zoey a good sniff too

e: loaf

this is the face of a cat that gives so few fucks, he approaches absolute zero fucks

congrats on your awesome new catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

he's so little :3