Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Protip posted:

Yeah I decided I didn't need one right now and figured I'd wait to see if any retailers had good deals in a few months around Black Friday. We might see Staples do another $30 off tablets coupon that will officially apply to the new Nexus or other similar deals.

Some people on slick deals have gotten the $30 coupon to work today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Don Lapre posted:

Some people on slick deals have gotten the $30 coupon to work today.

Isn't that manager's discretion though? I remember they added fine print that the new N7 wasn't allowed.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Isn't that manager's discretion though? I remember they added fine print that the new N7 wasn't allowed.
The stories slickdealers tell about getting their staples coupons applied is horrifying, which wouldn't surprise me on how certain people got the coupon to work. I'm not the greatest Staples customer, as I don't buy anything unless it's on sale or has a good coupon, but I'm not a monster.

Some things I've noticed about the new Nexus 7 after 6 hours:
  • Really really fast. Switches apps and orientation really well
  • LED light has to be enabled, but glows in the middle bottom
  • Volume rocker and lock button feel a bit cheap; not solid feeling like my S3
  • Feels great in the hand with the larger bezel and pretty light
  • Rear camera is pretty bad
  • Speakers pretty decent

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Tunga posted:

Have you tried the one from the Android SDK?

Yup. I think it was dated the 17th. Maybe there's an even newer one that I missed. I'll have to check again.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Had to brave my local Walmart to buy dvd-rs and they already had the new Nexus 7 in stock, so I wound up getting the 32gb and I'm typing this out on it right now. This is a pretty swell little tablet so far, I'm glad I waited.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I have last year's Nexus 7. Is it still going to be supported like the new one will? i.e. Would I be a fool to nab a second older model for my significant other at this point in time?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I would expect the old Nexus to get at least android 5.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I have last year's Nexus 7. Is it still going to be supported like the new one will? i.e. Would I be a fool to nab a second older model for my significant other at this point in time?

The new ones are considerably nicer, feels like the build quality is better out of the box. If the SO was just going to use it to play match 3 games and read books, then the old one should be fine, and picking one up on clearance would be a steal. I put a lot of photos on mine, so I like the extra resolution, and the speakers are enough nicer than the OG that I'd actually consider watching a movie on the thing.

Depends on how cheap they sell for. I like the new one 50$ better than the old one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm guessing they need to change the app listing in the play store to include the new 7. I really doubt its incompatible in the long run, just typical Google oversight.

Crap, quote isn't edit.

Android Police actually asked Google about this and was given this response:

quote:

Director of Product Management for Google Wallet Peter Hazlehurst dropped by our comments section below to confirm that Wallet is not compatible with the new Nexus 7 for the same reason as the HTC One Play Edition – the device does not carry a secure element, the small bit of hardware required to store encrypted card credentials on a device. This is required in order for Wallet to function, well, securely.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/27/psa-google-wallet-not-compatible-with-the-2013-nexus-7/#comment-978606008

So yeah, the HTC One Google Play Edition and the new Nexus 7 2013 do not have the required hardware to run Google Wallet and thus will never be able to.

Of course, there are responses saying how this is "two steps forward, one step back" and "completely inexcusable".

Also, because I found this comment funny in a sea of "THAT'S NOT FAIR".

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/27/psa-google-wallet-not-compatible-with-the-2013-nexus-7/#comment-978423618

:v:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Man I got enough looks the one time I used Google Wallet on my phone at a McDonald's it would be hilarious to do it with a tablet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just dropped and smashed the screen of my OG N7. gently caress.

When's the new one come out in the UK?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Just dropped and smashed the screen of my OG N7. gently caress.

When's the new one come out in the UK?
The only two indications we have of release date are Ebuyer who say August and Currys who say 13th September. Google just said in "the coming weeks".

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else having wireless charging issues with their new N7?

I can't get it to recognize any charging puck, works fine with my N4 and another new N7.

I don't want to RMA so soon :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ThermoPhysical posted:

Android Police actually asked Google about this and was given this response:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/27/psa-google-wallet-not-compatible-with-the-2013-nexus-7/#comment-978606008

So yeah, the HTC One Google Play Edition and the new Nexus 7 2013 do not have the required hardware to run Google Wallet and thus will never be able to.

Of course, there are responses saying how this is "two steps forward, one step back" and "completely inexcusable".

Also, because I found this comment funny in a sea of "THAT'S NOT FAIR".

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/27/psa-google-wallet-not-compatible-with-the-2013-nexus-7/#comment-978423618

:v:

Hahaha, the idea of using a tablet for Google Wallet is pretty lol.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

mediaphage posted:

Hahaha, the idea of using a tablet for Google Wallet is pretty lol.

The idea of taking photos with a tablet is pretty dumb to me too, but people do that all the time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Athenry posted:

The idea of taking photos with a tablet is pretty dumb to me too, but people do that all the time.

Yes, but for a lot of people, the tablet is the first time they've had a half-decent camera with them pretty much everywhere that allows for instant feedback, editing, and sharing once they're back on Wi-Fi, and the camera works all the time, no matter what.

Wallet requires an active data connection that most people who buy a tablet aren't going to have.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Yes, but for a lot of people, the tablet is the first time they've had a half-decent camera with them pretty much everywhere that allows for instant feedback, editing, and sharing once they're back on Wi-Fi, and the camera works all the time, no matter what.

Or... their phone?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Does anyone know if the new Nexus 7 is going to be carried at Office Max? I have a $100 gift card there, but their website has no listing for it. The person I talked to when I called the store didn't even know the thing existed...

edit: Wow, nevermind I just found it. The listing comes further down the page, not with the other N7's.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Or... their phone?

I knew someone would say this.

I know a lot of people who own a really crappy phone and, say, an iPad. They aren't upgrading their phone as often because they feel it I good enough, especially with a newer tablet.

Most people who take photos with their tablets don't own the latest and greatest smartphones (of course, some do, like famous movie directors...).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Super Dude posted:

Does anyone know if the new Nexus 7 is going to be carried at Office Max? I have a $100 gift card there, but their website has no listing for it. The person I talked to when I called the store didn't even know the thing existed...

If they carried the first one, they'll probably carry the second one at some point. Just wait a couple of weeks and see.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mediaphage posted:

I knew someone would say this.

I know a lot of people who own a really crappy phone and, say, an iPad. They aren't upgrading their phone as often because they feel it I good enough, especially with a newer tablet.

Most people who take photos with their tablets don't own the latest and greatest smartphones (of course, some do, like famous movie directors...).

I think you're actually right and was mostly just giving you a hard time :) The vast majority of people I see using an iPad to take pictures are tourists/international students. At least for the students, many of them use a dumbphone and an iPod Touch/iPad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I think you're actually right and was mostly just giving you a hard time :) The vast majority of people I see using an iPad to take pictures are tourists/international students. At least for the students, many of them use a dumbphone and an iPod Touch/iPad.

Haha, we went to Niagara Falls on Friday night, and there were soooo many iPads....

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 28, 2013

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Tunga posted:

Have you tried the one from the Android SDK?

Tried it out on my mom's windows 8 laptop, works flawlessly. Plugged it into my brother's computer running window 8 (identical to mine, p8z77 Asus motherboard), no luck, same issue.

So, that narrows it down to either the motherboard, or some combination of driver + Asus software that's causing it not to work right. An Asus tablet not working right on an Asus motherboard...go figure. :P

There's a new bios update from June that I might try loading up, but I'm not too optimistic at this point.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else having issues with wireless charging & the new N7s? I've gone through two now - each one hasn't recognized multiple qi chargers at all. Friend's N7s work fine, so I know it's not a universal issue.

Edit: I went back to best buy and we tried FOUR different tablets. Works exactly how you'd expect on two of the six tried so far.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 28, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I'm using the $40 lg qi puck they sell at Verizon and it works perfectly.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Moxie Omen posted:

Had to brave my local Walmart to buy dvd-rs and they already had the new Nexus 7 in stock, so I wound up getting the 32gb and I'm typing this out on it right now. This is a pretty swell little tablet so far, I'm glad I waited.

I tried my Walmart, they didn't have it. Hell, they still have displays for the iphone 4 and ipad 2. The tech section in that Walmart is like an afterthought.

So, I ordered it online instead.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
What's my best option for assigning separate wallpapers to portrait and landscape mode?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Athenry posted:

I was at the aquarium last week, and there were a bunch of primary school aged children with their families there, I saw at least 5 iPad minis and 2-3 android tablets. kids were using them to video various animals.

Someday society will realize that nobody had time to sit through hours of unedited home video, until that day, however...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FormatAmerica posted:

Is anyone else having issues with wireless charging & the new N7s? I've gone through two now - each one hasn't recognized multiple qi chargers at all. Friend's N7s work fine, so I know it's not a universal issue.

Edit: I went back to best buy and we tried FOUR different tablets. Works exactly how you'd expect on two of the six tried so far.
My N7(2013) works fine with my LG700 pad.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I primarily use my Nexus 7 (2012) for reading Kindle. I've read dozens of books on it already. Just how big of an improvement would the new N7 be for reading?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

fookolt posted:

I primarily use my Nexus 7 (2012) for reading Kindle. I've read dozens of books on it already. Just how big of an improvement would the new N7 be for reading?

Pretty much none at all. Text looks plenty smooth at 1280, looks plenty smooth at 1920. Movies and photographs benefit, but you weren't really freaking about the pixel pitch on the 2012 in Times New Roman.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Slo-Tek posted:

Pretty much none at all. Text looks plenty smooth at 1280, looks plenty smooth at 1920. Movies and photographs benefit, but you weren't really freaking about the pixel pitch on the 2012 in Times New Roman.

Pretty much this. I bought the new one to replace my 2012 because I make terrible life decisions but I doubt I'll upgrade the fiance's. She uses the hell out of it but all she does is go through her RSS feeds and read books.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

fookolt posted:

I primarily use my N7 for reading and text is much more crisp. I personally have noticed an improvement mainly because I usually read with it close to my face. Crisper text may not matter to you enough to buy spend $230 for it but I'm quite happy with it.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

How is the colour vibrancy on the new screen, compared to the original N7?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

fookolt posted:

Have you considered a Kindle Paperwhite for this? Most avid readers much prefer e-ink to backlit LCD screens.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Daimo posted:

How is the colour vibrancy on the new screen, compared to the original N7?

These guys have some pretty OK tests.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
AnandTech has also done some tests. The only thing it's not that great at is black level, but it beats the pants off of the old one in everything else.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

AnandTech has also done some tests. The only thing it's not that great at is black level, but it beats the pants off of the old one in everything else.

I was surprised to see that other tablets crunch in their gamuts, but I guess that's apparently on purpose?

http://dot-color.com/2012/12/19/are-tablets-up-to-the-task-of-accurate-color-testing/

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Anyone found any cheaper screen protectors than the official Asus one yet? I know they will start popping up soon but I'd like to get something on this thing before it gets a scratch and pisses me off.

Amazon is wanting $18+ for the official Asus (2 covers, 1 matte 1 glossy: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DY3J8UI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Syrinxx posted:

Have you considered a Kindle Paperwhite for this? Most avid readers much prefer e-ink to backlit LCD screens.

I've had three Kindles so far and they're all great, but I actually really prefer the responsiveness of regular screens compared to e-ink (smooth page swipes vs waiting for e-ink screen to refresh).