Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
All of this is better suited to the. Htpc thread really, but anyway:

-You can have one box of a two box setup just be your main everyday pc and run flex raid in the background, though that's not free.

-Nothing more powerful than a raspberry pi is going to have a relic like composite out. Xbox 360s modded are only like $200 these days and not hard to find. Decade old tvs for them with hdmi off of craigslist won't be all that pricey either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

berzerker posted:

-Nothing more powerful than a raspberry pi is going to have a relic like composite out. Xbox 360s modded are only like $200 these days and not hard to find. Decade old tvs for them with hdmi off of craigslist won't be all that pricey either.

The Gbox I linked earlier has composite out, as does a bunch of other android boxes I looked at. I think that people here just haven't bothered to notice that feature:

http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-MX2-Android-Streaming/dp/B00CH643A8/

quote:

G-Box Midnight MX2 Specifications:

* Amlogic A9 Dual Core Neon HD CPU
* Mali400 Dual Core High Performance 3D GPU
* 1GB RAM (DDR3)
* 8GB Total Internal Storage
* USB Storage Extendable (Flash Drives/HDD)
* SD Storage Extendable (Up to 32GB!)
* 802.11b/g/n internal Wifi
* HDMI v1.4 video output
* 10/100 Ethernet Port
* Coaxial SPDIF Digital Audio Output (Surround Sound)
* Composite Audio/Video Out
* 4x USB 2.0 Ports
* Android 4.2.x Jelly Bean installed
* Supports Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse
* Google Play Store installed

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong

vwman18 posted:

Has anyone had volume issues with Airplay videos? It seems like any YouTube video or any other vid sent from my phone to XBMC is extremely quiet. I'm using Yatse to send the videos from my Galaxy S3, but my wife has the same problem with her iPhone. I've tried the Airplay option as well as the "Send to XBMC" option, both need me to crank the volume in order to hear anything.

I'm a big dummy. Somehow the volume within XBMC had been turned down to about 25% which was why I couldn't hear anything that didn't have digital audio. Always check the simple stuff first, hurr.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Any skin recommendation besides the one in the OP?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Some of the official ones under Settings are nice. I grabbed Ace and it's one of the best looking and most customizable ones I've used.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Le0 posted:

Any skin recommendation besides the one in the OP?

I like Avalon, info here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=131965

As far as the official repo, xperience1080 is what I have been using on all my installs. I might switch to Avalon though.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I'm currently using xperience1080 on my main HTPC and Amber (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=163360) on my RaspPi's.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks for the skin recommendation guys! I'll take a look.

Now for another idiotic questions. How do you actually use an SQL library? I followed the guide, but when I re-imported the library on the new client it did it fine, however after a reboot all the library was gone?

I added the advancedsettings.xml file with the sql server info and it seems to be okay.

EDIT: I scanned the files and then re-imported and everything seems fine now

Le0 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 28, 2013

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Can I edit a skin XML to make the controls fade earlier than 5 seconds if I move the mouse while watching a video? I can only find values that I think control how long the fade should take (but not how long until it starts). And I'm not really even confident about that.

Also, can Specials be separated from my Season 1 folder in XBMC (The files are in a Season 00 folder with proper XBMC nfos already)?
Combination of Season 00 and Season 01 only occurred when there were no more seasons, so XBMC treated it as 1 season only. This is probably a bug. Temporary Fix:
<flattentvshows>0</flattentvshows>

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 29, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
How do you guys manage fanarts? I leave it to sickbeard but I have absolutely no control on it so sometimes it download weird formats.

Also anyone using an Harmony with a Zotac AD12. I have an external IR receiver, should I use this or rather the internal one? Should I use it as an MCE remote?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Le0 posted:

How do you guys manage fanarts? I leave it to sickbeard but I have absolutely no control on it so sometimes it download weird formats.

Have XBMC do it instead of sickbeard. Seems to work pretty great.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone a few weeks ago mentioned a tool that will do Genre tagging for your music collection that works well with xbmc. I cant find the post now. I've run MusicBrainz Picard on my entire library, everything is in order, and used foobar2000 to then do replaygain scans. Last issue is genre tagging.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Le0 posted:

Also anyone using an Harmony with a Zotac AD12. I have an external IR receiver, should I use this or rather the internal one? Should I use it as an MCE remote?

Yeah like therm said there is essentially no reason to export metadata from any of these programs. XBMC scans files great now.

I have a Harmony smart control with my AD10. I use the internal receiver because my hub is strong enough to blast to it. I set it up as a "Zotac AD10" device.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I prefer to let Sick Beard do it. It gets the metadata files for all sorts of media players at once and they sit there persistently even if everything else goes to hell and needs to be reinstalled, ready to be scanned into any media center library. And XBMC 13 has a "Local Files" option you can use instead of scraping, so adding files handled by SB to your XBMC library is fast as heck (a good deal faster than using the no-op scraper to do the same thing in 12, but maybe 13 improved library building speed in general).

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 29, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

I have a Harmony smart control with my AD10. I use the internal receiver because my hub is strong enough to blast to it. I set it up as a "Zotac AD10" device.

I just got a Harmony Smart Control to replace an aging Harmony 700, did you have to do any special configuration for extra buttons in XBMC or did everything with the Zotac AD10 device in the Harmony software? Also I really wish this thing was backlit, bummer :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Gunslinger posted:

I just got a Harmony Smart Control to replace an aging Harmony 700, did you have to do any special configuration for extra buttons in XBMC or did everything with the Zotac AD10 device in the Harmony software? Also I really wish this thing was backlit, bummer :(

If you set it up as a Zotac AD10 device you have to install the IR drivers off zotacs website. Otherwise set it up as a Windows media center remote. (or it may be the other way around).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I rerecorded a video demoing XBMC Cinema Experience. Shows some trivia, a THX bumper and then the show begins. For some reason this movie doesn't trigger a DTS bumper. Not sure why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNGr4t99jwA

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I didn't need to set anything up special, sorry. It doesn't work in Windows but Openelec handles the commands just fine.

I wish it was backlit as well, but no lcd screen and no backlit means 1+ year battery life. You can always use your iphone/ipad.

And since I am a finally getting a tablet I decided to pretty much go as full Plex as I can so I can take advantage of the PMS. I am running Plexbmc with the Amber skin, and its been working great.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 29, 2013

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

I rerecorded a video demoing XBMC Cinema Experience. Shows some trivia, a THX bumper and then the show begins. For some reason this movie doesn't trigger a DTS bumper. Not sure why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNGr4t99jwA

That's cool and all, but after two or three times aren't you thinking to yourself "start the loving movie already". It's like the crap that was at the beginning of VHS tapes and DVDs that you would always have to skip through. The advantage to using XBMC is the elimination of such stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wolfbiker posted:

That's cool and all, but after two or three times aren't you thinking to yourself "start the loving movie already". It's like the crap that was at the beginning of VHS tapes and DVDs that you would always have to skip through. The advantage to using XBMC is the elimination of such stuff.

Exactly the reason I've never used it. I'd just skip through it every time. I can see why it was made, to recreate the cinema experience... but the cinema experience is generally quite annoying. Maybe with an update they can add sound clips of people talking through the first 5 minutes to really nail it.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Thermopyle posted:

Have XBMC do it instead of sickbeard. Seems to work pretty great.

Hmm okay I will try to give it a whirl.
XBMC stores fanart it scrapes internally or does it place them with the movie on the NAS?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Le0 posted:

Hmm okay I will try to give it a whirl.
XBMC stores fanart it scrapes internally or does it place them with the movie on the NAS?

It'll do it internally, there's a method for exporting the individual files if you want.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

It'll do it internally, there's a method for exporting the individual files if you want.

The artwork downloader add on downloads to the directory.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

Worth noting that if you have the artwork stored with the movie, XBMC still imports it internally for it's use.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wolfbiker posted:

No. But I only use it during social gatherings. Not if I'm just downstairs alone re watching Terminator 2.

Alternative smug response: If you had the setup I did, perhaps you'd think it was impressive!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

jonathan posted:

No. But I only use it during social gatherings. Not if I'm just downstairs alone re watching Terminator 2.

Alternative smug response: If you had the setup I did, perhaps you'd think it was impressive!

I have a friend with the whole theater room thing with high end equipment and movie theater seats.

He's got that cinema experience thing going and it's irritating as hell to have to watch that bumper poo poo.

I'm telling you this not to criticize your set up, because obviously some people enjoy it, but if you're using it in social situations you might not be aware that you're probably irritating some of your guests.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

I have a pretty similar setup to yours and I think it's just a preference thing. I recreated the theater experience in my house to have the convenience without the annoyances.

quote:

I didn't need to set anything up special, sorry. It doesn't work in Windows but Openelec handles the commands just fine.

Hmm ok, I'll see what I can do. I'm still running Windows since I do a lot of emulation stuff on my Zbox, not sure what to use for the base map there.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I have a pretty similar setup to yours and I think it's just a preference thing. I recreated the theater experience in my house to have the convenience without the annoyances.

Hmm ok, I'll see what I can do. I'm still running Windows since I do a lot of emulation stuff on my Zbox, not sure what to use for the base map there.

Probably MCE keyboard?

The Big L
May 8, 2008

jonathan posted:

The only thing you need to do to really get that point across is the THX intro, because considering the rig that you're running, you could easily shake some peoples bowels if you really felt like it. The other stuff is not really necessary.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I could understand the trivia if it was your rotating fanart on the home screen instead of the space images, but don't understand them after you choose a movie to play. One THX/DTS/Dolby into before a movie is tolerable to me. Before I moved I had a setup very similar to yours so my opinion has nothing to do with jealousy.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think the Cinema Experience thing is cool as poo poo, especially the slides and trivia timer. I set it, everyone gets their popcorn and booze and gets their text messages and Facebook out of the way. Then the THX intro plays and that's kind of the "shut the gently caress up and sit down" queue.

On the other hand, I 100% agree that it could be overdone, and certain people may not be into it. So far the consensus has been positive. Then again if they don't like my free snacks, free booze and free early bluray screenings they can go poo poo on their hat.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wolfbiker posted:

Before I moved I had a setup very similar to yours so my opinion has nothing to do with jealousy.

My smug comment was not serious at all. Nothing in my setup is very expensive, and would be very easy to reproduce cheaply. My entire speaker setup was $850 and that included a 12" klipsch sub that I gave to my parents.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
If I had an awesome theater setup for multiple people with refreshments and everything, I'd like the THX thing, a turn off cell phones message, and as many buffer clips as people need to be able to detach themselves from their phones (I have no problem just holding the off button in my pocket until the phone functions go offline, but some people are phone crazy).
Pretty cool way to entertain. You should have someone pretend to sneak a cam in for bootlegging.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Guys I need some advice.

So now my Harmony remote works fine with my Zotac AD12. The only thing I need to setup is how to turn it on/off.
What is the method used generally to do that?

Also I'd be looking to add some emulator to this Zotac, any recommendation here? is it even possible?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 30, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Le0 posted:

Guys I need some advice.

So now my Harmony remote works fine with my Zotac AD12. The only thing I need to setup is how to turn it on/off.
What is the method used generally to do that?

Also I'd be looking to add some emulator to this Zotac, any recommendation here? is it even possible?

Does the original remote work with on/off? If so just learn the command.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Good thinking I'll give it a try and learn the command if it is.
Thanks

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hogburto posted:

If I had an awesome theater setup for multiple people with refreshments and everything, I'd like the THX thing, a turn off cell phones message, and as many buffer clips as people need to be able to detach themselves from their phones (I have no problem just holding the off button in my pocket until the phone functions go offline, but some people are phone crazy).
Pretty cool way to entertain. You should have someone pretend to sneak a cam in for bootlegging.

What I'd really like is a cell phone frequency scrambler. It turns on when I hit play and turns off when I pause. gently caress tha FCC(CRTC).

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I've started using the voice commands in Yatse, it's pretty great being able to just yell at my phone to watch the next episode of xxx and it starts playing.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone know of a decent method for launching HBO Go in XBMC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Crossposting this from the HTPC thread.
Has anyone here tried the "Wireless Xbox 360 Controller for Windows(TM)" with Linux?

I'm using the wired one with xbmcbuntu, and it works perfectly, just plug-and-play. Now, I want to add a second one, so I figured I'd make it a wireless one, and it could act as my main remote in xbmc. However, posts like this one makes it look like the controller can't be manually turned off, save by popping the batteries out.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130491

That would be really annoying to me - ideally I'd want it to power down when I hold down the big middle button ("Guide"), like on an xbox.