Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress Karl Urban needs to get back into this role.

For halloween I want to go as a judge and with a badge that has my name across it. As a stretch goal I get 3 other friends to do the same and we go downtown together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Young Freud posted:

So, the first America book, then?

Only if they can get that last shot of the Dredd statue towering over the broken Statue of Liberty.

That's not the last shot, it's the opening scene. It still needs to be in, though, voice-over and all.

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010
TBH I think combining the Democracy/Cursed Earth storylines could work pretty well. You can have the set-up at the beginning with the Judges hunting down the Dem leadership in the wake of an attack/protest of some kind,follow that up with them discovering that their most wanted perp(s) already fled the city and *bam* Cursed Earth posse. Lead, of course, by you know who. Insert the token Judge(s) who increasingly question why they're even hunting this guy/girl and a Dredd increasingly hell-bent on bringing them back no matter the cost because THE LAW and you've got plenty to play around with.

Fake edit: and mutants of course. Lots of mutants.

Aaron A Aardvark fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 23, 2013

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
About the democracy storyline, why would anyone want to see a Dredd film with a story about overthrowing the Judges? I'm not entirely against it, though I'd much rather prefer any other storyline to that one.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

That's not the last shot, it's the opening scene. It still needs to be in, though, voice-over and all.

I understand that, but if this sequel is made, that should be the last shot just so people understand that the Judges aren't the "good guys".

Aaron A Aardvark posted:

TBH I think combining the Democracy/Cursed Earth storylines could work pretty well. You can have the set-up at the beginning with the Judges hunting down the Dem leadership in the wake of an attack/protest of some kind,follow that up with them discovering that their most wanted perp(s) already fled the city and *bam* Cursed Earth posse. Lead, of course, by you know who. Insert the token Judge(s) who increasingly question why they're even hunting this guy/girl and a Dredd increasingly hell-bent on bringing them back no matter the cost because THE LAW and you've got plenty to play around with.

Fake edit: and mutants of course. Lots of mutants.

Let's face it, you just want that for a film adaptation of the Burger Wars, don't you?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

If they do ever touch on the Cursed Earth, there better be swarms of vicious flying rats. :colbert:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The Democracy story has a really long buildup because otherwise it'd be very jarring for events to fall like that they did and I'm not sure how it'd fit nicely into a film, but Alex Garland is a great screenwriter so I'm sure he has a good plan. :shobon:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Devour posted:

About the democracy storyline, why would anyone want to see a Dredd film with a story about overthrowing the Judges? I'm not entirely against it, though I'd much rather prefer any other storyline to that one.

Have you actually read the storyline? It's a really good set of comics.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Young Freud posted:

I understand that, but if this sequel is made, that should be the last shot just so people understand that the Judges aren't the "good guys".

Let's face it, you just want that for a film adaptation of the Burger Wars, don't you?

Since Mega City One is basically the ultimate conservative fears of the nanny state, the Cursed Earth should be libertopia and Burger Wars would be awesome. Though I doubt you could fit both storylines into the same movie without Comic Book Movie Syndrome of cramming too much stuff you like into one movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Devour posted:

It's not about overthrowing the Judges. It's about how people live under the Judges, and how perhaps the greater of two evils can be better than the lesser.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jedit posted:

And would get nitpicked to death, as well. The cinema in Peach Trees was showing a film about the Judge Child, so it was fictional or had already happened.

I've been thinking about this, and that poster was brilliant. Now they could film Judge Child however they want, and frame it as an in-universe retelling of Dredd's Cursed Earth adventure. Even if they couldn't get Urban, it would still make internal sense and not break continuity as a work of "fiction" in a fictional universe.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Devour posted:

I would be entirely prescient for the time that we live in, especially in the wake of; mass protests across the US and Europe, the Arab Spring, Wikileaks, Snowden, the NSA and GCHQ monitoring EVERYTHING, the increasing militarisation of the police force in Western democracies, and the police being used as a political tool of the state to suppress discontent.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

keep punching joe posted:

I would be entirely prescient for the time that we live in, especially in the wake of; mass protests across the US and Europe, the Arab Spring, Wikileaks, Snowden, the NSA and GCHQ monitoring EVERYTHING, the increasing militarisation of the police force in Western democracies, and the police being used as a political tool of the state to suppress discontent.
poo poo, it might actually be too close to the bone. It's just a shame that Tea Partiers would absolutely love a story like America (although wasn't she Hispanic or something?).

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I don't know, all these comic book stories sound awful. Dredd works so well because you have a classic character ark story (Anderson) for emotional investment, which frees up Dredd to just be himself. He doesn't learn anything or change at all, which is perfect because he's a giant goofy symbol and that would ruin him.

Any way they can manage to get the story to be emotionally engaging on any level and still keep the frenetic violence and energy is all I want. Silly comic plots about him fighting abstract ideas sounds miserable.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Marketing New Brain posted:

I don't know, all these comic book stories sound awful. Dredd works so well because you have a classic character ark story (Anderson) for emotional investment, which frees up Dredd to just be himself. He doesn't learn anything or change at all, which is perfect because he's a giant goofy symbol and that would ruin him.

Any way they can manage to get the story to be emotionally engaging on any level and still keep the frenetic violence and energy is all I want. Silly comic plots about him fighting abstract ideas sounds miserable.

Dredd doesn't fight an abstract idea, he shoots terrorists, blackmails activists, beats up protesters after inciting violence with agent provocateurs, and then shoots more terrorists. It's basically the inverse of the last Batman movie.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Marketing New Brain posted:

He doesn't learn anything or change at all, which is perfect because he's a giant goofy symbol and that would ruin him.

Some of Dredd's positions have evolved gradually over time, which is great because it calls attention to his ones that haven't.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My copy of Dredd shipped out today, should be here by the end of the week! :toot:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Maybe Stallone Dredd and Urban Dredd are just alternate universe Dredds.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Coffee And Pie posted:

Fun fact: apparently there was a spin-off tie-in comic for the Stallone movie that acted as a "sequel" to the movie, and featured Judge Death who was literally an alternate-dimension version of Dredd.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Does anyone have that classic strip where Dredd punches Stallone Dredd in the face saying something like 'I would never take my helmet off'

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Coffee And Pie posted:

Maybe Dredd 2012 is just a comic book in the Stallone Dredd universe. Sylvester Stallone in JOSEPH DREDD: Attacking 2015.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
Christ, what's wrong with you people wanting Judge Death in a movie? Don't you understand how tone and narrative work? Cream_Filling is right on the money.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

VincentPrice posted:

Christ, what's wrong with you people wanting Judge Death in a movie? Don't you understand how tone and narrative work? Cream_Filling is right on the money.
He was originally planned to be in one of the sequels, and I could totally see them pulling it off too. If he does, they probably will make him more grounded somehow just like the Joker or Bane in the recent Batman films.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
It's all about Chopper.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

VincentPrice posted:

Honestly, compared with such things as an M.C. Escher nightmare-fuel world where people can die by slowly disappearing in regular geometric shapes, Judge Death and company would be a snap to do in a grittier, darker tone.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If the viewers and film makers are in any way ashamed of the source material, maybe watching and making Dredd movies was a bad idea for them. In this case it just seems like some of the viewers. So if you don't like you know...crazy poo poo...maybe this is not the series for you? The movie already had mutants, psychics, robots, and a mega city in the middle of a post apocalyptic wasteland. There's nothing "grounded" or "realistic" about this movie.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

If the viewers and film makers are in any way ashamed of the source material, maybe watching and making Dredd movies was a bad idea for them. In this case it just seems like some of the viewers. So if you don't like you know...crazy poo poo...maybe this is not the series for you? The movie already had mutants, psychics, robots, and a mega city in the middle of a post apocalyptic wasteland. There's nothing "grounded" or "realistic" about this movie.

That's like saying people who didn't want the Mandarin to be a Fu Manchu wearing magic rings given to him by an alien shouldn't have watched Iron Man. It's not like magic and aliens don't exist in the Marvel universe.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

That's like saying people who didn't want the Mandarin to be a Fu Manchu wearing magic rings given to him by an alien shouldn't have watched Iron Man. It's not like magic and aliens don't exist in the Marvel universe.

Mandarin was a super powered guy with a giant dragon tattooed on him in the film. That's every bit as ridiculous as he is in the comics. However, anyone who wanted Mandarin to be like he was in the comics in this case should be ashamed because he's a racist caricature with a ton of baggage. Judge Death is none of those things.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Mandarin was a super powered guy with a giant dragon tattooed on him in the film. That's every bit as ridiculous as he is in the comics. However, anyone who wanted Mandarin to be like he was in the comics in this case should be ashamed because he's a racist caricature with a ton of baggage. Judge Death is none of those things.

A Judge Death movie would not only stereotype people with CVDS [1] as wanting to kill everyone else - it would also make fun of their accents. A CVDS sufferer saying "You mussst die, lawbreakersss" to a healthy person is every bit as offensive as a black man saying "Yes massa!" to a white man. :colbert:

[1] Chronic Vitae Deficiency Syndrome.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

When the source material is a comic (or any other form of media) that has had to meet a regular publication schedule for decades, a lot of it will naturally be complete poo poo and any sane film-maker or fan should disregard huge swathes of it.

Dredd is an interpretation of the character; it is not the comic book blown up on to the big screen and, in an age of creeping police militarisation and a growing culture of assigning blame immediately for any perceived wrong (enabled by social media and 24/7 news), there are much more interesting and relevant things that a future film could focus on than an actual demon that wants to exterminate humanity.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HTJ posted:

When the source material is a comic (or any other form of media) that has had to meet a regular publication schedule for decades, a lot of it will naturally be complete poo poo and any sane film-maker or fan should disregard huge swathes of it.

Dredd is an interpretation of the character; it is not the comic book blown up on to the big screen and, in an age of creeping police militarisation and a growing culture of assigning blame immediately for any perceived wrong (enabled by social media and 24/7 news), there are much more interesting and relevant things that a future film could focus on than an actual demon that wants to exterminate humanity.

Have you actually read the Judge Death stories or are you just assuming they're complete poo poo? Because they're actually some of the best Dredd stories ever told.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Not only that, but saying it's incompatible with the tone set by the movie displays an amazing lack of imagination on your part.

Luckily the director of Dredd doesn't have that problem and has been planning on introducing Judge Death eventually, from the very beginning of the project.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That being said, the likelihood of us getting a sequel with Judge Death - or any sequel at all - is so slim as to make this a moot point.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Have you actually read the Judge Death stories or are you just assuming they're complete poo poo? Because they're actually some of the best Dredd stories ever told.

This. The only problem with Death in the comics is that for a long while he was used as a joke character, after the Necropolis stuff. But they don't have to use that interpretation of the character.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

After reading some of the comics I think I like the movie version of Dredd better. The one in the comic would be the worst person to hang out with. The one in the movie at least seemed to grow a little and have some compassion for at least Anderson.

The comic Dredd is like a facist Flanders, and I'm Homer loving Simpson.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

After reading some of the comics I think I like the movie version of Dredd better. The one in the comic would be the worst person to hang out with. The one in the movie at least seemed to grow a little and have some compassion for at least Anderson.

That's kind of the point. Also Comic Dredd has grown it's just happened in real time over 30 years.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

I like the interpretation that he didn't grow an iota, he just recognized that the primary weapon of a telepath isn't her firearm. And he's not shown to be completely without compassion either, what with stunning the two kids on the balcony or deferring sentencing on the homeless guy at the start. He's a fascist nightmare, and so is the system he works for, but he's not a killbot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Comic versions of Dredd range all over the place, even just in the run of 2000 A. D. It can veer wildly from the kind of gritty action we see in the movie, to much broader social satire with elements like Judge Fish, to stories where Dredd comes close to being outright heroic even though he was conceived as a kind of satire on the cop as fascist bully. (Though Dredd's pure "law is the law" approach probably made him better than most of the cops the UK underground/punk culture hated- he's not prejudiced by race or given to making up evidence, etc.)

I wonder if they could tackle "Requiem for a Heavyweight."

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'd like to see Dredd let loose in The Wire's season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing about managing Tone is that while Dredd didn't have much wacky comic book stuff the movie was all contained in one tower block, so there could be anything going on outside in mega city.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 30, 2013

• Locked thread