Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

It's an actual expression but nobody in the world has ever sounded as happy about it as that character. I don't think anyone has sounded that happy about winning the lottery.

Honestly Arc Rise Fantasia is just Manos:The Hands of Fate turned into an JRPG. Everything is worded awkwardly, the actors don't match their roles(i.e. a young girl sounds like a 45 year old woman), and the sequence of events just don't make no sense at all.

Like really within the first 10 minutes you're greeted with a mishmash of dialogue, Night suddenly becomes day, the first party member you meet makes no sense, your interaction with the party member makes no sense. The party member doesn't understand basic English but then also suddenly understands English, you beat up a giant radish, and nobody keeps track of what is meant to be a 4th wall breaking comment and what's not. They also shoehorn the most awkward and forced romantic scenes since Star Wars Episode III.

Just play it, it's an experience that's not to be missed. Like a train wreck of solid gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-As7OjIjLM

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I'm two hours into The Last Story on the Wii and I'm not really "getting it". The music and graphics are good, characters are ok (like the drunk chick) and combat is different I guess. Its just not clicking with me. Am I missing something ? I want to like it.

Honestly, it crawls at first. The problems are
1) Too many cutscenes
2) It takes a while to get all the skills to make the combat good
3) You don't know what the gently caress you're doing
4) Everything is painfully predictable
5) The game is easy.

As you go on the game gets better, but the opening is rough. The game improves around chapter 10 or so, but I found the best part of the game to be NG+. The combat and the armor customization is what really made the game for me.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

MockingQuantum posted:

Also, on an unrelated note, I see Xenoblade and Last Story mentioned in the thread a lot, but does anyone have an opinion on Pandora's Tower? And is there a game with a comparable combat system to Last Story? The idea of the game interests me, but I'm usually not a big fan of the more action-y RPGs of the last couple gens, though I was pretty happy with Final Fantasy XII if there's any comparison.

If you can get Pandora's Tower for around 20 bucks I'd recommend it. It's a solid game with some neat ideas, it plays kinda like someone wanted to smash Zelda and Castlevania together and while it came out clunky it still had some charm to it.

It doesn't take that long to beat, especially if you don't care about getting the best ending. Be warned however, there is a CRIPPLING bug near the end of the game where if you don't make it past the 13th tower in one run that anytime you return to it that you have a great chance of your system entirely freezing up on you. This pretty much ruined the game for me and it was only after hours (yes, hours) of trying to make it work that I got lucky twice and managed to continue on and beat it (there is work-arounds for the bugs, but all of them did not seem to reliably work) but I now do not have any incentive to ever play that game again unless it gets patched, which might not ever happen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Black Stones posted:

If you can get Pandora's Tower for around 20 bucks I'd recommend it. It's a solid game with some neat ideas, it plays kinda like someone wanted to smash Zelda and Castlevania together and while it came out clunky it still had some charm to it.

It doesn't take that long to beat, especially if you don't care about getting the best ending. Be warned however, there is a CRIPPLING bug near the end of the game where if you don't make it past the 13th tower in one run that anytime you return to it that you have a great chance of your system entirely freezing up on you. This pretty much ruined the game for me and it was only after hours (yes, hours) of trying to make it work that I got lucky twice and managed to continue on and beat it (there is work-arounds for the bugs, but all of them did not seem to reliably work) but I now do not have any incentive to ever play that game again unless it gets patched, which might not ever happen.

Just so it's noted; this bug isn't in the PAL version.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Black Stones posted:

In general if you talk to Elena then sleep you can reenter the towers. I've never had it happen to me twice in a row. Gamefaqs has a couple of threads dedicated to work arounds. It does hamper the game significantly, but I've been there about dozen times and it didn't take hours to work around the glitch for all those attempts.

You don't ever have to go back to those towers to get a better ending.

To me it actually feels like a Dark Souls light with more RPG elements. I've never played Castlevania, but I think Zelda makes for a poor comparison.

Somnolent49
Jul 5, 2006

"The woman is all we want! The others must die! They ALL must die! We do not even want the woman!"
I'm trying to remember the name of a game. It was a top-down rpg, where your character went to town, bought upgrades/food, and then went into dungeons to kill enemies. The catch was that you didn't actually control them, they had their own AI which controlled them while they were in the dungeons.

Anybody remember this game?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Safety Scissors posted:

In general if you talk to Elena then sleep you can reenter the towers. I've never had it happen to me twice in a row. Gamefaqs has a couple of threads dedicated to work arounds. It does hamper the game significantly, but I've been there about dozen times and it didn't take hours to work around the glitch for all those attempts.

You don't ever have to go back to those towers to get a better ending.

To me it actually feels like a Dark Souls light with more RPG elements. I've never played Castlevania, but I think Zelda makes for a poor comparison.

Yeah, that wasn't my experience at all. Which is why I said there was work arounds for this bug, and that none of them worked reliably for me at all. If they worked for your copy, super! I'm giving him a heads up that might not be the case as it was for me.

Also, I never said you had to go back to any tower to get the best ending; you misread me. Finally, I found that the combat had a more Zelda like feel to it than Dark Souls but with a mix of a Castlevania style to it with focusing on a chain and having a general aesthetic from those games. I'm not saying it's a Zelda game, but it definitely feels like it borrowed inspiration from it. But no, don't go in expecting Zelda. The game is completely it's own thing, really.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Safety Scissors posted:

5) The game is easy.
I don't know why this is a complaint for so many people. Go play some Touhou or whatever but don't pan a game just because it isn't hard enough for you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I don't know why this is a complaint for so many people. Go play some Touhou or whatever but don't pan a game just because it isn't hard enough for you.
If a game's too easy, then the gameplay gets kind of boring. That's a legitimate complaint, though obviously it varies from player to player.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Someone who likes RPGs isn't necessarily going to enjoy a bullet hell shooter.

It's a problem when a game is easy enough to stop being engaging. A game can be easy and still be fun as long as it is easy in an engaging and interesting way. I thought TLS was pretty fun despite being easy but not everyone will feel that way. It helps that TLS doesn't outstay its welcome. It's a fairly short game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also as bullet hell shooters go Touhou is among the easier. :v:

Somnolent49
Jul 5, 2006

"The woman is all we want! The others must die! They ALL must die! We do not even want the woman!"

The White Dragon posted:

I like RPG's because I enjoy their mechanics. I also like being challenged when I play a game, because it makes winning that much more enjoyable for me. If a game is too easy, it feels like I might as well just go read a spoiler of the story, watch all the cutscenes and be done with it already, because there's no skill required, merely a lot of sitting around pressing buttons.

I do get that for many people, being immersed in the world and following the story is the primary reason they play games, and that's totally fine. If someone pans a game I enjoy because the story is crap, it's usually a pretty sensible criticism. It won't really make a difference for me if I happen to enjoy the underlying mechanics and the challenge of the game, but I certainly don't think every single gamer should feel the same way I do.

Touhou has a radically different set of mechanics than RPG's typically do, and really does nothing to scratch that RPG itch for me.

Edit: Case in point, the two Portal games. In my opinion, Portal 2 had a better story, but the reduced difficulty of the game made me enjoy it a bit less than I did Portal 1.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Someone who likes RPGs isn't necessarily going to enjoy a bullet hell shooter.

It's a problem when a game is easy enough to stop being engaging. A game can be easy and still be fun as long as it is easy in an engaging and interesting way. I thought TLS was pretty fun despite being easy but not everyone will feel that way. It helps that TLS doesn't outstay its welcome. It's a fairly short game.

The difference between a regular game and NG+ is pretty absurd though. Most bosses one shot you, so you can't just swing away and expect to win. You're actually required to explore the combat system. I actually didn't even realize how deep the combat system is until I played NG+, which is astonishing in itself because it's just an analog stick, 2 buttons for actions, and 1 more button to toggle a buff.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Somnolent49 posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game. It was a top-down rpg, where your character went to town, bought upgrades/food, and then went into dungeons to kill enemies. The catch was that you didn't actually control them, they had their own AI which controlled them while they were in the dungeons.

SA has a thread devoted to remembering the names of old games: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

There are a lot of games like that. Can you remember anything else about it? If it was on the pc with some RTS elements to it then it might be one of the majesty games, or if it was for smart phones you could be thinking of Dungeon Village.

Silverbolt
Jun 7, 2013

by T. Finninho
I see that no one cares about Shining in the Darkness here, but for what it's worth, Crystal Oozes are the holy grail of experience giving monsters. They are a bitch to encounter and kill without them running away. If they don't run, they hammer you with the top level spells.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Somnolent49 posted:

Computer game?

Could it be NPC Quest? http://hamumu.wikia.com/wiki/NPC_Quest

Somnolent49
Jul 5, 2006

CCKeane posted:

Computer game?

Could it be NPC Quest? http://hamumu.wikia.com/wiki/NPC_Quest

Thanks, that's exactly it!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What are your most annoying/fun/loved/:rolleyes: RPG cliches that you've picked up on over the years?

JRPG or Western...
I'm thinking that JRPGs just LOVE have your child protagonist wake up in bed, while Western RPGs must have the main enemy turn out to be your brother/cousin/dad or similar.
There's the sexy princess-like female companion you want to bed, and the nerdy female companion who you have no sexual interest in.
There's a silent, mysterious absolutely imbalanced tank-fighter character, who is actually pretty cool.
And lighting a campfire or sleeping in a tent is as good as a month in a wellness spa.
There's a convenient chest with healing potions, or a rest/campable area amazingly close to where the next major battle is going to happen, because.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A long time ago somebody compiled all those RPG cliches into a website that I've since forgotten the name of. My favorite is that the main character always mercifully starts out in a town with only giant rats and spiders to worry about while the people in subsequent areas who've got killer robots and demonspawn in their backyard are totally hosed.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

There was a really good list of them on the old, dead GIA site. Which actually reminds me, The GIA's back! That's really cool. http://www.thegia.com/

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

A long time ago somebody compiled all those RPG cliches into a website that I've since forgotten the name of. My favorite is that the main character always mercifully starts out in a town with only giant rats and spiders to worry about while the people in subsequent areas who've got killer robots and demonspawn in their backyard are totally hosed.

http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html this?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Yes, I do love how starting towns always, without question, have a rat problem. Always. If it appears they didn't, that's only because another adolescent hero cleared the town of rats the day before your game starts (also after waking up being called downstairs by his mom/old man guardian).

EDIT: Oh my that's awesome:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

exquisite tea posted:

If you pick the Human Noble in Dragon Age Origins the guy that joins you in your first quest to clear the kitchen of giant rats comments that it reminds him of all the horrible fantasy stories his dad used to tell.

Funny stuff.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

You guys like Breath of Fire right? (Disclaimer: Don't get your hopes up)

http://www.bof6.jp/pc/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641219

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bland posted:

gently caress everything. I was so excited at that first link. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bland posted:

A new Breath of Fire?! I loved Breath of Fire IV, how bad could it possibly b-

quote:

Breath of Fire 6 has been announced for PC/Tablet/Smartphones. Online touch RPG. Service starts in 2014.

Oh god. Why Capcom? Why? :negative:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bland posted:

We don't have enough information to write it off yet!

I mean "online touch RPG" does not fill me with enthusiasm for the product but assuming it's built for it, I don't see why touchscreen controls would be particularly bad for an old-school 2d RPG.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The screenshots look like a generic as poo poo Flash MMO, though, which is basically the shovelware of choice for Japanese IPs right now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stelas posted:

The screenshots look like a generic as poo poo Flash MMO, though, which is basically the shovelware of choice for Japanese IPs right now.
Oh yes I don't expect an old-school 2d RPG built for touchscreens.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
I recently finished the first 'The Witcher' after it has been sitting in my GOG library for years. Its pretty much the best RPG storyline I have ever played. Combat is kinda iffy until you get used to it but story wise, it beats things like baldurs gate 2, planescape torment and the first fallout in my mind.

Heading into the game, I was like 'man, why cant I create my own witcher and who is this Geralt guy anyway?', oh how wrong I was. The depth and amount of backstory in everything in this game is phenomenal, the fact that you can't just gulp down one potion after another but that they act as preventative medicine, for a good long amount of real time (and poison you if you drink too many) was a very refreshing element of the game.

I am very excited to start The Witcher 2 later after getting a few more titles off my backlog, apparently its hard as gently caress, which is good because I loved Dark Souls.

The STALKER series is another personal favourite, and lets not split hairs on genre here, it was in a lot of respects more of an RPG than fallout 3 and new vegas which happen to be the only other games that spring to mind in this category. The first one with the improved graphics mod got me hooked and I ended up playing both shadow of chernobyl and call of pripyat pretty quickly after each other. I skipped clear sky and according to popular opinion that was a good move.

I dont know why I like eastern european / russian developed RPGs so much. I guess they are just alien enough and break just enough cliches to feel fresh but the basic elements of the game all make sense and work well together.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

Zereth posted:

We don't have enough information to write it off yet!

I mean "online touch RPG" does not fill me with enthusiasm for the product but assuming it's built for it, I don't see why touchscreen controls would be particularly bad for an old-school 2d RPG.

Less touch-screen controls, more online is the problem here.

Also, that it seems like Ryu won't be the protagonist from the pictures.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lunixnerd posted:

I dont know why I like eastern european / russian developed RPGs so much. I guess they are just alien enough and break just enough cliches to feel fresh but the basic elements of the game all make sense and work well together.

What really gets me (in a good way) is how bleak everything is. Even in Western apocalyptic RPGs, things do tend to look up after a while (see the Fallout series), but just about every RPG I've played from Eastern Europe, from Mars: War Logs, to STALKER, to Metro 2033, everything is falling apart, just about everyone's a dick, and things are going to hell. It's so delightfully nihilistic.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Bland posted:

This is what Suikoden VI is going to be and I'm going to cry myself to sleep for a week.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pretty much what all the old IPs are becoming at this rate.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Bland posted:

I like how people in the neogaf thread were making jokes like "Star Ocean 5 will be a mobile card game. I can feel it." Do they not know that the Star Ocean card game is actually already a thing on the way?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

BoF6 would have been such a neat thing for the 3DS or Vita. Sigh :(

Dec 26, 2012

Lunixnerd posted:

:hfive: Try the Gothic series out if you haven't yet.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Skeezy posted:

BoF6 would have been such a neat thing for the 3DS or Vita. Sigh :(

It would probably have just been a generic rehash of BoF2 if it was a real RPG. I mean I guess that would have been better than a phone game, but not a whole lot better.

CommissarMega posted:

What really gets me (in a good way) is how bleak everything is. Even in Western apocalyptic RPGs, things do tend to look up after a while (see the Fallout series), but just about every RPG I've played from Eastern Europe, from Mars: War Logs, to STALKER, to Metro 2033, everything is falling apart, just about everyone's a dick, and things are going to hell. It's so delightfully nihilistic.

Ever played Neir? If you like depressing stuff, that's a game for you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

01011001 posted:

:hfive: Try the Gothic series out if you haven't yet.
The first two, at any rate. All the other ones are trash. (Also, Germany isn't in Eastern Europe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

I've been playing three recently and it's more so mediocre compared to the first two than trash now that there's been significant fan patching. I wouldn't recommend it regardless.

Also, right, it's not eastern europe but the series is in that proud tradition for sure.