Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

90% finished with the top install. Just need to put the interior panels, carpet, and seats back in. Wasn't hard at all with a second pair of hands but would have been a serious pain in the rear end trying to do it by myself.

Oh, yeah:

Also the weatherstipping doesn't seem to be holding on as tightly as before. Should I hit it with a bit of adhesive?

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I want to see much, much more of this car. 75s are so awesome.

I agree -- they're incredibly quirky.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Re-drilled the hangers on my hardbody with some friends.

http://instagram.com/p/cSHx-UMbD5/

Let me know if that link works.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Replaced the fan clutch, hopefully the source of my semi-overheating woes. Got the old one off, and after a few turns in each direction it lets loose and starts freewheeling.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Installed a Eurocode intake in my S4. The car instantly feels peppier, and should get better over the next ~500 miles or so once the car adjusts to it. Also just sold the 20" wheels that I was running for the past month, so I'm trying to decide if I use that money to buy an exhaust or something "responsible" like the new fridge my wife wants.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Cut out part of my xj's floor, welded in new metal, hit it with some duraglass, primer and paint.

Also found out that I don't have a spare exhaust manifold laying around, stuck calipers suck, and the rotors from my 98 bottom out on my 99's dust shields.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bought the tools I needed to finish the job, then didn't do any of the work. :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I swapped the rear wiper and headlight switch on the Niva so it's impossible to turn off the headlights while reaching for the heater fan switch. I saw one of the tyres is in the running for the horrible mechanical failures thread and left it at that. When I've steeled myself a little more I'll go out and let some air out before it goes full exposed bubble. There's already a nice bulge and the tread over it is stretched and disintegrating :(

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

What is up with that S-curve radiator hose? Why not just have the connection on the block come straight out the front and have one 90 degree bend, or just do two 90 degree bends instead of two 180 degree bends?

It is the stock radiator hose, but the curves are now steeper because the radiator is tilted back to make room for the front mounted intercooler. The thermostat housing is made such that it has to be installed in that position. Not an ideal situation, but I haven't got around to find a better suited hose and/or thermostat. Here's the stock arrangement:

Another picture of my engine from the other side:

Front suspension of my car in current state:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Welp, there goes another :10bux: towards rock auto for new front end parts. I managed to destroy the tie rod and ball joint boots on both sides trying to replace axles, so I'm just going to replace everything while I'm in there. :v:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Most of my latest Rock Auto order came in yesterday :unsmith:

Still waiting on one more box.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Failed again at bleeding my front brakes. I've hit the point where I'm certain there's something letting air into the system. I'm taking apart the few connections, applying pipe dope to them, new crush washers, and starting basically over.

I decided to take this moment to buy a new tie rod end so I have something else I can do in lieu of pulling out all of my hair.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fixed the audio input jack on my wife's Kia Spectra5. It's all plastic, and unless you use a 90-degree connector, the cable sticks straight up so it can get whacked by anything. Doesn't happen often, but enough whacks and the jack gets flaky. Replaced it with a better panel-mount jack, which is tougher than it sounds, because the OEM jack is on a PCB, and the whole assembly is its own little enclosed part, like a switch. The PCB anc connector are now dangling inside the console, with a bit of cable connecting it to the jack inside the housing. Simplest solution.
Then I found out the replacement OEM part is available for $20 + shipping. Ah, well, my solution will probably last longer.

Larrymer posted:

Welp, there goes another :10bux: towards rock auto for new front end parts. I managed to destroy the tie rod and ball joint boots on both sides trying to replace axles, so I'm just going to replace everything while I'm in there. :v:

You can get polyurethane boots from Energy Suspension and Prothane. Just replace the boots, unless the joints are iffy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

You can get polyurethane boots from Energy Suspension and Prothane. Just replace the boots, unless the joints are iffy.

Oh dang that's helpful, I did the same thing trying to yank the axles from my Protege, tore the poo poo out of my ball joint boot. I would up unbolting the control arms, they're still hanging since I could never get the tapers to break.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Holy HELL are they bright!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Holy HELL are they bright!

Barbecued roo for tea tomorrow. Flash cooked with fifty billion lumens.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Fixed the lights on the dashboard, got a new windshield last week, adjusted the brakes and carb so it runs and stops much better. I also made a new air cleaner by cutting it out of a big block air cleaner from a Buick 455. It came out not too great but I had to give back the one from the Caprice that I was using and I have a show to go this weekend.

Then I ran out of paint late on Saturday night.

New windshield

Both blinkers work now but the oil light doesn't since I have a mechanical gauge and the light isn't connected.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Good tip. Car has 110k ish miles on it so I'm just going to replace it all.

I should just set money on fire instead of work on cars. It's about the same result.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I finished replacing the rear pads and rotors on the Volvo. To say they were bad would be an understatement. I only drive the car once a week, so it's something I'd been putting off.

Also, rusty pins are kind of a pain in the rear end. Thanks, Volvo.

Got them out with liberal amounts of liquid wrench, a pin punch I bought at harbor freight and a big fuckin' hammer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I ripped the dip on one of my rear wheels, so i peeled it off both wheels on that side, still not sure what direction i'll go next.

I'll probably just leave it like this for a while.

Also,

gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu mack. somehow they decided that requiring you to get the front end 3 feet off the ground is an ok way to remove the radiator.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 30, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I see they took lessons from GM. :allears:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

I see they took lessons from GM. :allears:

I don't know how but GM seems to make vehicles that are really simply put together and a gigantic pain in the dick to actually work on at the same time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No kidding.

A lot of stuff is stupid easy to do on this car (headlamp bulbs or headlamp housing replacement? pull 2 pins on each side and they fall out. complete ignition system replacement? 4 bolts and 1 plug). It's also a pretty simple engine, in that it doesn't have EGR or PCV systems, or even a FITV or IACV. Then you look at, oh, how to pull the radiator, or radiator fan, and you just want to curb stomp some engineers.

It's still easier to work on than my Altima.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
You all should experience the joy of working on a w123. Seriously, they really are quite nice to work on. Someone must have spent time thinking "ok, now someday the mechanic will need to get a tool in here, how can we make this accessible?"

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Sat it outside the workshop at work with the doors open and dire straits cranked up while we sat on rescued couches around a gas heater and drank beers and scotch and coke to celebrate my birthday :)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Sat it outside the workshop at work with the doors open and dire straits cranked up while we sat on rescued couches around a gas heater and drank beers and scotch and coke to celebrate my birthday :)

Well how about that.
Ignored it because it was my partner's birthday.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
found a puddle of red stuff on the garage floor this morning, didn't smell like Tranny fluid.

Popped the hood and found out that the power steering rack is leaking again. Second time in two years. :suicide:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Put on new battery cable terminals just to rule them out, and then put in a new battery :(

At least now I know how old my battery is, and I have a 3 year warranty :shobon:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

found a puddle of red stuff on the garage floor this morning, didn't smell like Tranny fluid.

Popped the hood and found out that the power steering rack is leaking again. Second time in two years. :suicide:

I was expecting you to say you found a cat in there.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Just finished doing the plugs on my Hemi Ram, don't ever do that if you can help it. 16 plugs, 8 of which are goddamned near inaccessible. I don't know if I want to strangle the engineer or myself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Just finished doing the plugs on my Hemi Ram, don't ever do that if you can help it. 16 plugs, 8 of which are goddamned near inaccessible. I don't know if I want to strangle the engineer or myself.

Sounds like my 4.6 F150, but with more plugs. The back half of the motor was basically under/in the firewall, requiring 2 or 3 extensions and u-joints or wobblers depending on which bore you were going after for the back 4.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Took apart the proportioning valve - did not have any copper washers to put it back together.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Finally got around to wiring up the seatbelt sensor in the Soarer - the buckle has two wires but there were three coming out from under the seat. A bit of trial and error and now no more dash warning, yay!

Figured since the coolant hadn't been changed in forever then the sparks would be similar - spot on! The coilpacks are crack free (thankfully) but the plugs were a combination of blackened, corroded and a couple nicely marinated. Also I realised the 5th and 6th would be the fun ones tucked right at the back - I had to plank on one side with a foot braced against the house wall to see what was going on.

Bit smoother now and in combination with the new O2 sensor and recapped ECU, it should stop slurping the juice so much (hopefully).

Now to rewire the brake light to stop the dash warning screaming in Japanese at me every time I slow down..

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

Sounds like my 4.6 F150, but with more plugs. The back half of the motor was basically under/in the firewall, requiring 2 or 3 extensions and u-joints or wobblers depending on which bore you were going after for the back 4.

The drivers side rear 4 are under the master cylinder and the passenger side are under my A/C poo poo.

This is in a week where I also did my oil and filters, drivers side half of my catalytic Y pipe, and I still need to do my o2 sensors that I foolishly thought I could skimp on replacing when I did my cat.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Plastidip'd my rims yesterday and went to a small meet today.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 1, 2013

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Diggin' the dipped wheels. I just dipped the grill on my SS because it was starting to fade to gray pretty badly. I hosed up in one spot and it came lose. I probably won't fix it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Diggin' the dipped wheels. I just dipped the grill on my SS because it was starting to fade to gray pretty badly. I hosed up in one spot and it came lose. I probably won't fix it.

Thanks! They turned out really nice once I put some tyre foam on 'em. My mate had his powdercoated, and they turned out reallll nice.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

For some reason I really don't like black plastidip on wheels. :( It just looks too dull.

That powdercoating looks pretty good though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

For some reason I really don't like black plastidip on wheels. :( It just looks too dull.

That powdercoating looks pretty good though.

My wheels have black paint applied with a brush. Jealous?
The things people do.

Today I got most of the way to putting the heater back in the Niva. Just now I found out I should have done the gaskets dry. We'll see what happens I guess.

Yesterday I bought a 13mm spanner!!!
I've been using the same 13mm spanner form my old Chinese socket set since the late 80s or early 90s. It's my most used tool. Recently I realised it's starting to feel a little loose. That toolkit has held up pretty well. Only a few broken ratchets, a broken 12mm spanner and quite a few lost sockets.
I think some of those sockets may have gone missing in ...oh maybe 1998 or so when I rolled my car rather spectacularly on a country road. Quite a while later someone I didn't know showed up and gave me my toolbox. They had managed to collect up most of the pieces after it had been catapulted out of the boot when it was crushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I swapped the charcoal canister on my '03 Impreza yesterday. The old one had a bunch of cracks in it that the previous owner tried to fix with muffler putty. I took it one step further and slathered on blue RTV before continuing to get emissions leak codes so I just bought a new OEM one (for cheaper than RockAuto wanted for a Chinese knockoff!):

Muffler putty:

New versus old:

And I swapped the air filter today. Gross bugs fell out of the intake air tract side of the airbox and the filter itself was filthy, so all in all a good fix to make..

Engine side:

Intake side:

Bugs from the airbox: