Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

thehumandignity posted:

e: Holy poo poo the AI suddenly grew a brain and attacked my trebuchet instead of my 45% health swordsman. :stare:
Yeah, the AI will target anything it can one-shot at priority, but it won't necessarily target the most convenient unit otherwise. I think it also favors targeting Siege above all else, in the order of Siege > Melee > Ranged. It takes tile defense into account, but it ignores promotions like Cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Pleads posted:

Can't seem to find any resource on this:

Does using the Steam Cloud for saves add a turn limit? Based on my experience, it's been adding a 330 turn limit on multiplayer games, but I did not see any such addition on a single player game. Yet it just ended at turn 330.

I guess I don't need to use Steam Cloud as I only play on one computer, but ugh. UGH, I say.

I think I just finished a game with a buddy that went over 400 turns and I used cloud saves a few times during. :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you want to watch someone who generally makes Deity look easy, there's MadDjinn.

Thanks! This guy's more interesting for sure.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Odin's eye. :aaa:

Montezuma has been piling up cash the entire game. I don't know where he's getting it, he's not at war with anyone, he doesn't have a particularly astronomical GPT, but whatever. He offered me a research agreement just now, and I decided to tack on a sale of whales as well. Since he has so much more money than me (Almost 10,000 by now), I thought I'd ask and see if he'd give me a bit more, say, 300. He said no. Not unless I threw in 2 GPT. Well 2 GPT over 30 turns is 60 gold, the exact difference between 240 and 300. Whatever, I just changed it to 240 for whales and hit accept. Then I realised what this means and called him back up.

I offered 100 GPT (Roughly 3/4 my revenue) for 3,000 gold, quite a bit since I've been spending money about as fast as I've been making it, upgrading my kris swordsmen up to muskets, buying land, buildings in my new colonies, courthouses, etc., rapidly expanding the last few hundred years. He accepted.

So it seems that friendly AI's will give you loans at a 1:1 rate. No interest, no nothing. If they like you, and they have the cash, they'll just fork it over. It's extremely tempting to just buy a shitload of frigates, backstab Monty and steamroll him with a navy he paid for, but he's one of the few people that isn't pissed off about the Occupied Egyptian Territories (Henceforth known as "West Indonesia"), and I'd prefer to keep him and his magical wallet around to bankroll me conquering my rear end in a top hat Roman neighbours whom everyone seems to hate.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

thehumandignity posted:

That makes sense. Everything on the field was medieval or even renaissance era except my Kris Swordsmen, whom I have kept deliberately stunted because I don't particularly need anything stronger and I want to preserve as many of their (good) unique promotions as possible.

You kris swordsmen keep their unique magical weapon promotion if you upgrade them. Just spend the gold to bind those spirits into some assault rifles and all is good.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Pvt.Scott posted:

You kris swordsmen keep their unique magical weapon promotion if you upgrade them. Just spend the gold to bind those spirits into some assault rifles and all is good.

That's what I've done now, I was just waiting to build as many as I had the iron for. Now they're all musketmen who inexplicably have the "Mystic Blade" promotion. I prefer to think they're still carrying ceremonial kris out of tradition.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

thehumandignity posted:

That's what I've done now, I was just waiting to build as many as I had the iron for. Now they're all musketmen who inexplicably have the "Mystic Blade" promotion. I prefer to think they're still carrying ceremonial kris out of tradition.

I like Scotts "we stole the spirits out of these magic blades and imprisoned them in muskets by bribing Satan" explanation better.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

He's probably getting the money from selling excess luxuries to other friends.

Also, Luxuries are always worth 240 gold max, there is zero flexibility with that. Your bestest buddy in the whole wide world who has a billion positive diplomatic modifiers won't offer you a penny more.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Isn't it 270? 45 turns * 6 gpt. I usually play on epic though. Maybe the numbers are different there.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

He's probably getting the money from selling excess luxuries to other friends.

Also, Luxuries are always worth 240 gold max, there is zero flexibility with that. Your bestest buddy in the whole wide world who has a billion positive diplomatic modifiers won't offer you a penny more.

It increases with game length, but otherwise I've only ever seen it go down with relationship modifiers, never up. I just figured if there was ever a time they were going to make the AI more flexible, it'd be now. :shrug:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

450g is the max I have gotten out of the AI on Marathon for a luxury.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

Isn't it 270? 45 turns * 6 gpt. I usually play on epic though. Maybe the numbers are different there.

240 on standard, with 30 turn deals. Or 6gpt (they will never do 8 despite the math adding up). I think you can squeeze out something like 350 gold from the AI on on Epic speed but I'm not sure.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

240 on standard, with 30 turn deals. Or 6gpt (they will never do 8 despite the math adding up). I think you can squeeze out something like 350 gold from the AI on on Epic speed but I'm not sure.

They would go up to 8 GPT before BNW, but only if they liked you. Now they never will, probably to further inflate the value of DOF's.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just finished a marathon Venice domination. Incredibly easy once you get the trade routes all up. By the end they will all be with CSs because you at war with everyone but that's ok.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I've been getting 720g per resource from Genghis on Marathon roughly every 90 turns for the entire game in my current game. Sometimes he renews straight away, other times he'll wait a few turns, but its always 720g. He's the only leader who still likes me, every other leader has denounced me for being a warmongering menace.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

thehumandignity posted:

They would go up to 8 GPT before BNW, but only if they liked you. Now they never will, probably to further inflate the value of DOF's.

It's a bit of a pain because if your friend is short and is at 210 gold for example, you used to be able to ask for that and 1gpt. Now you just have to accept them shorting you 30 gold.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also yeah the AI does not handle ocean combat well. At least it had no answer for my fleet of twelve frigates and three privateers.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

euphronius posted:

Also yeah the AI does not handle ocean combat well. At least it had no answer for my fleet of twelve frigates and three privateers.

If I didn't have a standing navy at the time, or a mountain of gold and several coastal cities to rush ships in, I don't think I would have one, either.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

euphronius posted:

The AI doesn't handle ocean anything well. Playing any map with smaller landmasses in water is like turning down the AI by a notch or two.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

thehumandignity posted:

If I didn't have a standing navy at the time, or a mountain of gold and several coastal cities to rush ships in, I don't think I would have one, either.

Even when the AI does have a standing navy and a mountain of gold, they have no answer for frigates. But the same could be said for the AI's land combat, too. It doesn't handle ANY combat well.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Every time I see Alexander in a game, I settle a city in a nice, production heavy area, then throw a food caravan at it. Mashup as much production as possible, Ironworks, workshop, factories, whatever, as well as barracks and the other +xp buildings, and wait till Idealologies roll around. Meanwhile, level up your spies up and 'retire' them to a nice city-state once they hit max rank.

Take Freedom. You're looking for 'Arsenal of Democracy'. Set your production city to produce whatever military unit you can pump out 1 of per turn. Choose 3 city states that you want to take that are preferably near him. Pump out a unit every turn, then donate them to the 3 city states. Since it takes 3 turns to arrive, and you can't donate more while military are in transit, this is why you need 3 city states to take from him.

Since you're gaining ~8 inf/turn with the city states, eventually you'll overtake his influence and become their ally. But don't stop donating units. Wait till they have a nice, fat army, then declare war on him. With the city states and their massive army, it should keep him occupied long enough for you to move in and cripple him. Once he's squarely in last place, enjoy your diplomatic victory by funding the world a massive army and your spies rigging the elections in every city state.

Arsenal of Democracy is a pretty kickin' rad ability.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Yup.

This is what happens when you focus 10 trades routes worth of 13 food each into one city fyi.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=164511580

It could have kept growing, but I won ages ago.

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 28, 2013

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Ok, I've ignored this for long enough, and need to get into it. Played through the initial release once, played through Gods & Kings once, and haven't touched it since.

What do I need to get going? Treat me as a complete newbie.

Recommended setups? I am not find of scenarios. I am quite fond of marathon / huge games.

Is Continents Plus still the map way to go?

Is there any BNW updated strategy guides so I don't cripple myself from the get go?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Strategy hasn't changed drastically other than that you can't trade lump sums of cash off the bat and you need to research trade routes immediatly to get a cash flow.

Most of the other stuff doesn't matter until the late game and by then you should be back in the groove.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

crm posted:

Ok, I've ignored this for long enough, and need to get into it. Played through the initial release once, played through Gods & Kings once, and haven't touched it since.

What do I need to get going? Treat me as a complete newbie.

Recommended setups? I am not find of scenarios. I am quite fond of marathon / huge games.

Is Continents Plus still the map way to go?

Is there any BNW updated strategy guides so I don't cripple myself from the get go?

The Continents Plus map has a modded version that redistributes the City States properly as opposed to dumping them all on an island - can't seem to Google it up though.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I feel pretty bad about demolishing my civilization's only holy site to get at the sweet uranium underneath.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OK, seriously - is Brazil pre-programmed to be hosed at literally every turn? I've been trying all day to get anywhere with it, and it doesn't seem possible to get both a good starting location and good development. Triple luxury start, double tech from huts and the GL on turn forty-loving-one on Prince and I still can't get four cities by turn 110 or Chichen Itza.

Twice I managed to get three cities by turn 80; once I was on an island by myself with no Jungle so I said screw it, and the other time I was sandwiched between Alexander and loving Shaka, who invited me along to smash Gustavus then declared on me with the full military might of the AI cheating like a fucker on my border.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I feel pretty bad about demolishing my civilization's only holy site to get at the sweet uranium underneath.

No need. Great Person tile improvements get access to strategic resources.

Worship the church of the holy bomb!

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Jedit posted:

OK, seriously - is Brazil pre-programmed to be hosed at literally every turn? I've been trying all day to get anywhere with it, and it doesn't seem possible to get both a good starting location and good development. Triple luxury start, double tech from huts and the GL on turn forty-loving-one on Prince and I still can't get four cities by turn 110 or Chichen Itza.

Twice I managed to get three cities by turn 80; once I was on an island by myself with no Jungle so I said screw it, and the other time I was sandwiched between Alexander and loving Shaka, who invited me along to smash Gustavus then declared on me with the full military might of the AI cheating like a fucker on my border.

You can check out this thread for some ideas. We were playing as Brazil for the first game on Emperor from the same save.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
:argh: Alexander, you are going on my hit list for this. BNW turned him into a monster who needs to die before the industrial age.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
William is a recent addition to my poo poo list. He was a complete cock a couple of games ago for absolute no reason. Embargo this, denounce that.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Are there any tips for early age warfare? Should I just be ignoring the top part of the tech tree?

I'm fine for warring later on, but earlier siege units tend to die fast and get targeted a lot more often.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

What!? Oh god I have only been doing external trading because something like losing 6 food or hammers off an early city felt incredibly crippling. :ohdear:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

People that need to die if they are in my general vicinity, preferably before Industrial.

Shaka
Alex
That massive rear end in a top hat Hiawatha
Cathy

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Geokinesis posted:

Are there any tips for early age warfare? Should I just be ignoring the top part of the tech tree?

I'm fine for warring later on, but earlier siege units tend to die fast and get targeted a lot more often.

Really just try swarming with Composite Bows, like 5-6. That should do a respectable amount of damage and give you more lasting power.

We're being completely serious that in this game every problem looks like an archer-shaped hole.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

My personal hitlist:

Alex
Darius
Siam
Persia
Poland
Theodra

People who will always be your bros:

Harold
Monty
Dido (Never effective, though)
Cathy
Wu

I guess that says more about my play style than the AI, though.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

If I'm exploring and discover Austria my entire strategy shifts. My consummate goal is to make sure if I can't kill her myself that I can get someone else to do my dirty work and at least isolate her. Cripple Maria Teresa before she buys a dozen captial-quality cities and denies me the ally happiness or whatever other perks I need.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Bros:
Casimir
Ashur
Cathy
Harald
Caesar
Dido
Bismarck
Napoleon

Hos:
Wu
Nobunaga
Ramses
Shaka
Hiawatha
Washington
Gandhi
Maria Theresa
Alex
Ramkhamhaeng
Anyone on my starting continent

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Antares posted:

If I'm exploring and discover Austria my entire strategy shifts. My consummate goal is to make sure if I can't kill her myself that I can get someone else to do my dirty work and at least isolate her. Cripple Maria Teresa before she buys a dozen captial-quality cities and denies me the ally happiness or whatever other perks I need.

Not to mention she usually wonder and religion spams like crazy on top of that.

Since we're sharing,

Destroy:
Ethiopia, Austria, Greece, Iroquois, Ottomans, Germany, and my nearest neighbor. Everyone else is manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Bismarck? Really? Every game I've had him in he ends up swallowing his contenient or picking fights with me. He really likes to settle ontop of me with those lovely 1 pop cities on a continent I pretty much already own.

Like seriously, you're going to drop a city who's starting hex borders mine? Whats your problem, get off my island!

• Locked thread