Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

OK Octopus posted:

Holy gently caress, I've been looking for this since I was in middle school...

http://liquidtelevision.com/video/the-running-man/
Wow, this is so good. It's like William Gibson meets F-Zero.

I.G. fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

A PC Game posted:

You can also just watch it for free at liquidtelevision.com along with the rest of those shows.
Now tell me that this appeared last week because otherwise what the gently caress.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Just watched "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" Really enjoyed it, funny moments and a feel good movie. Jason Segal and Ed Helms.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OK Octopus posted:

I remember watching this and just zoning out to it, I think this was probably the segment that made me start watching that Japanimation block on Sci-Fi channel. Seriously as a kid Liquid Television was far and away my favorite show and I couldn't tell you why.

Finally get to point this out btw:

http://liquidtelevision.com/video/winter-steele-all-men-suck-except-crow/

Fans of Shaye St. John - this episode of Winter Steele shows exactly where the Shaye mask came from.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Fans of Shaye St. John

FUUUUUUUUCKKKK I had just forgotten about Shaye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrzVGmYQRWQ

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Parachute posted:

And Kill List has some really horrific violence (and a bit of gore, but not too much).

As most people have said in regards to this movie, if you're interested, don't watch any trailers or read anything about it beforehand.

It's not even the gore of the scenes, they're just so horrible and terrifying :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
RIP Shaye, btw.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

OK Octopus posted:

Wow, that really was outstanding. I researched and found out it came from something called Neo Tokyo. Any chance the rest of that is out there?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

HanabaL03 posted:

Just watched "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" Really enjoyed it, funny moments and a feel good movie. Jason Segal and Ed Helms.

I really enjoyed this.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Gave Paranorman a try last night. I enjoyed it, but can't say I've disliked any animated kids movie in the past decade. I do find it funny how much they can get away with in a kids movie today compared to when I was a kid. If I was watching this 20+ years ago as a kid, I would have been making GBS threads myself. It's dark, but I don't think any movie ever will top Coraline's level of darkness and still be a kids movie.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
There was 80's and 90's animation that was pretty dark, though. Don Bluth films in particular. Those fuckin' owls in Rock-A-Doodle and Secret of NIMH were creepy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lion King has the kid's dad die right in front of him, the 90's version of the Bambi moment. Brave Little Toaster was quite a bummer at times, too from what I remember.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Iron Giant still makes me cry every drat time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If we're talking about traumatizing kid's movies, it's hard to beat The Bridge to Terabithia. It comes out of no where too and nothing in anything indicated that you were going to be depressed for like the rest of the week after seeing it.

Though in general we're moving away from films that are traumatic in a Coraline way and just talking about ones that will ruin you in other ways. If you want creepy kid's films this is on Netflix and is pretty great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmG509hTs3A

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Forum sensation Food Fight is pretty drat traumatic. Wonder if the twitch stream is still up?

Can't agree more about the end of the Iron Giant.

"You are who you choose to be."

"Superman!"

:unsmith:

Flython fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 27, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Watership Down disturbed me when I was a kid.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Flython posted:

Forum sensation Food Fight is pretty drat traumatic. Wonder if the twitch stream is still up?

Can't agree more about the end of the Iron Giant.

"You are who you choose to be."

"Superman!"

:unsmith:

Few weeks back I watched the Iron giant, and the whole time I was just like "I"m totally gonna cry at the end of this." Sure enough, I shed a fuckin' tear. :qq:

Goddamn what a great movie.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

The Humbug episode of Xfiles is just all types of awesome

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

axleblaze posted:

Holy poo poo...

Though they lose points for not having Cartoon Sushi. No one has Cartoon Sushi :(

I actually used to have some episodes of that on tape, too, I think that I might have recorded on of the animation weekends MTV had.

The thing is that I can only remember snippets of Cartoon Sushi stuff but still remember a lot of the Liquid TV stuff pretty well.

However, I think Cartoon Sushi came out more during the anime boom of the mid-90s and a few of the clips and shorts things featured US Manga Corps-related properties, so those tend to be the things I remember from that iteration of MTV's animated variety shows.

Speaking of more free animation: I'm not 100% sure if the current Manga Entertainment is affiliated with the former USManga Corps, but I seem to recall their 360 App gave you access to maybe a dozen or so 80s/90s era anime shows and movies. I'm not sure if their actual website offers more or less for free streaming or not.

http://www.manga.com

(I found both the website and the 360 app a bit unintuitive when trying to sort through what video content was really there.)

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

priznat posted:

Watership Down disturbed me when I was a kid.

Those are some loving intense rabbits.

Also a brilliant film and now I want to rewatch it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can anyone recommend some sleazy 90s thrillers/action movies ala The Substitute, Blood and Wine, and Wild Things? Bonus points for set in Florida. For US Netflix, Amazon Prime, or even Crackle.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

If anyone watches Merlin and isn't already aware, the new season is now up on streaming.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Does anyone know how netflix regards multiple users on a single account? I've been having some trouble getting it going on more than one computer at times. Perhaps it's just my unblocker, I'm not exactly an american resident.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
You can use a single account across up to ten devices, or something like that.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Huh, I always get connection errors if I'm using it on more than one computer. Perhaps it's just my lovely internet.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I thought a single account could only stream from two different devices at the same time though, to prevent mass overuse of account sharing.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The number of simultaneous streams you can have running is determined by the number of physical disc rentals you get:

streaming only: 1 stream
streaming +1 dvd: 1 stream
streaming +(2,3,4, etc) dvds: (2,3,4, etc) streams

EDIT: woops, realized you were asking about devices, not streams!

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I've been able to stream to two TVs at my apartment and my parents use it at their house and it never tells me anything.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Had a look at the TOS:

quote:

YOU MAY INSTANTLY WATCH ON UP TO SIX UNIQUE AUTHORIZED NETFLIX READY DEVICES. YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO INSTANTLY WATCH SIMULTANEOUSLY ON TWO SUCH DEVICES AT ANY GIVEN TIME

Seems it's probably a problem with your bandwidth not with your Netflix account.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I used the new recommend feature and it has me watching Rob Roy starring Liam Neeson. I never heard of it but i'm a half hour in and all that has really happened is Liam Neeson bought some sheep.

Edit: I think I know where Mel Gibson got his inspiration for the main villain for The Patriot from. This movie does everything it can to make Tim Roth's character unlikable as possible and it's loving annoying.

Overall, pretty ridiculous and not as awesome as Liam Neeson as a Scottish Clan leader in the 1700's sounds. I feel like if I get to see Liam in a kilt and waving a sword, then we better be able to make a small pyramid of heads at the end of it. Also, i'm looking at the recommendations. Last of the Mohegans and Man In The Iron Mask and Bravehart. You don't really see movies like these anymore at least as major releases.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 29, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BigRed0427 posted:

I used the new recommend feature and it has me watching Rob Roy starring Liam Neeson. I never heard of it but i'm a half hour in and all that has really happened is Liam Neeson bought some sheep.

And the best part is, it probably only recommended it because you watched Shaun the Sheep. I'm not even joking, if you've ever watched Shaun the Sheep, Netflix would probably recommend a movie just for having sheep in it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

axleblaze posted:

If we're talking about traumatizing kid's movies, it's hard to beat The Bridge to Terabithia. It comes out of no where too and nothing in anything indicated that you were going to be depressed for like the rest of the week after seeing it.

Though in general we're moving away from films that are traumatic in a Coraline way and just talking about ones that will ruin you in other ways. If you want creepy kid's films this is on Netflix and is pretty great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmG509hTs3A

It's pretty great for like 15 minutes. That Adam and Eve segment is loving unwatchable.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
The Bay was alright. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

King Vidiot posted:

And the best part is, it probably only recommended it because you watched Shaun the Sheep. I'm not even joking, if you've ever watched Shaun the Sheep, Netflix would probably recommend a movie just for having sheep in it.

Because you watched Shaun the Sheep, we recommend Ren and Stimpy and Fritz the Cat

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

1997 posted:

I've been able to stream to two TVs at my apartment and my parents use it at their house and it never tells me anything.

Same case for me. And my dad ruins my recommendations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Now i'm watching Mystery Men, thanks to Netflix Max. Hey, remember when Superhero movies use to be fun and didn't take themselves to seriously? Mystery Men remembers.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Daedra posted:

The Bay is a really interesting idea that does a lot of things right, but never really nails down anything. It really feels like if they had cut out the whole ecological message they HAMMER home and focused more on the actually incident it'd work better. That and some of the acting was awful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Daedra posted:

I was not impressed with it at all.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

It would be fantastic if they had QI on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

BigRed0427 posted:

Now i'm watching Mystery Men, thanks to Netflix Max. Hey, remember when Superhero movies use to be fun and didn't take themselves to seriously? Mystery Men remembers.

If it's still up, I recommend the superhero comedy on Netflix called "The Specials". It came out right around the same time as Mystery Men, but never got any sort of wide release. It has a strange sort of heart to it that I can't quite put my finger on.

Essentially, it's about a very low-tier dysfunctional superhero team during the 99% of the time they aren't being superheroes meets Real World/Office-style confessionals.

• Locked thread