Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

nrr posted:

I think this is your problem then. Pretty sure I remember the best way to set up your audio for Rocksmith is to use RCA's to your stereo from your console. There's also a latency setup thing you can do to in the options somewhereto make sure you're getting everything bang on.

I haven't played it for something like a year now, but what I do remember is the riff from Icky Thump being fun as poo poo to play. I think I had to restart more than once from just rocking out on that riff in the jam section while it's loading and not paying attention that it had actually loaded already and I was missing notes.

RCAs over HDMI, Yes. That's due to a lot of TVs post processing the sound channel, and adding latency. An optical cable routed to a receiver set to leave the signal untouched is probably the best case scenario for Rocksmith. Anectdotally, the audio just sounds better with RCAs vs. the HDMI cable on my TV. I recently moved my Xbox and TV to another room. I didn't bother with the audio cables, and tried just the HDMI cables. The guitar emulation sounded so bad I plugged into my regular amp to make sure my guitar wasn't broken.

LP pickguard chat:

I took the one on my Agile off and filled the holes. Thing just looks fiddly and unnecessary to me. I like the more stripped down and aggressive look without it. Also that nut on the bracket would never stay tight. Good riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah I thought I remembered something about optical causing problems but I could be remembering that wrong.

I bought my black Les Paul for the way it played and sounded, not how it looked but it came with a pick guard and lately I've been umming and ahhing about taking it off. I think this last page just gave me the nudge I needed to bother doing it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's the picture that's processed and adds latency, the sound is delayed so it syncs up with what you're seeing. Fine for normal use, not so great when you're actually interacting with what you're seeing and hearing - that's why a lot of TVs have a 'game mode' whatever, to cut down on that processing and get the picture displayed as fast as possible.

The RCA thing is probably going to give you the best performance, since it's basically as 'live' as possible, and there's an option to tweak the video so it gets sent early, goes through whatever delays the TV introduces, and appears on the screen in time with the live audio. It's a pretty good trick!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
This is one with a pick guard I'd never take off.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Just a heads up, got an email from Guitarfetish, looks like they're having a summer sale.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Well after getting ripped off by the store a bit, they shielded my MIM Baja Tele with conductive paint but there was STILL loving popping when I got home so using some makeshift DIY skills I connected a wire from the screw on the bridge pickup to the screw next to the tone control and lo and behold, the popping sound has been completely eliminated. The lesson from this is if anyone has a grounding problem, you're better off fixing it yourself. Whilst I'm glad the store shielded the cavities I'm loving furious at them for giving me a bunch of bullshit about "Well, it's because the pickups and guitar are Mexican so you get what you pay for" when actually the main problem was a matter of grounding connections with an extra bit of wire.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

This is one with a pick guard I'd never take off.

No, I'd leave it on that one too.
It kind of draws the eye away from that Bigsby...

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

haha now you've done it

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

nrr posted:

haha now you've done it
Oh no, see...people HERE aren't insane generally.

You want some REAL fun, make a negative remark about Bigsbys over on TGP.
Holy hell it's awesome.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

frytechnician posted:

Well after getting ripped off by the store a bit, they shielded my MIM Baja Tele with conductive paint but there was STILL loving popping when I got home so using some makeshift DIY skills I connected a wire from the screw on the bridge pickup to the screw next to the tone control and lo and behold, the popping sound has been completely eliminated. The lesson from this is if anyone has a grounding problem, you're better off fixing it yourself. Whilst I'm glad the store shielded the cavities I'm loving furious at them for giving me a bunch of bullshit about "Well, it's because the pickups and guitar are Mexican so you get what you pay for" when actually the main problem was a matter of grounding connections with an extra bit of wire.

That's some racist trash, with enough ingenuity you can make some of the cheapest import guitars feel and play like a guitar three times the price. My old MIM j-bass was always confused with an American model because I put in some of fenders vintage pickups, a black pick guard and a badass II bridge.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I love Bigsbys (love Lyre's more). :colbert:

But your comment makes sense considering TGP is 80% old white guys who are probably just sock puppet accounts for Scott Grove.

ed

Warmoth is making a Starcaster body. So I know what I'm getting...

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 26, 2013

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Francostein posted:

That's some racist trash, with enough ingenuity you can make some of the cheapest import guitars feel and play like a guitar three times the price. My old MIM j-bass was always confused with an American model because I put in some of fenders vintage pickups, a black pick guard and a badass II bridge.

You're right on both fronts. I love Barcelona and Catalunya in general but gently caress me are they backwards here sometimes when it comes to casual racism. Every time I hear people here say "Vamos al Paki" (Let's go to the Paki shop) I loving shudder. I'm now also seriously tempted to buy a cheap guitar and kit it out to sound amazing as a project during the summer holiday. Ah well, the fury has subsided as I'm now playing through my Vox amp and it sounds sweet as can be so now it's time to switch from acoustic fingerstyle into rock and jazz.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I love Bigsbys (love Lyre's more). :colbert:

But your comment makes sense considering TGP is 80% old white guys who are probably just sock puppet accounts for Scott Grove.

ed

Warmoth is making a Starcaster body. So I know what I'm getting...

I'm so glad I don't have disposable cash right now or I'd get 6 of those

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

frytechnician posted:

You're right on both fronts. I love Barcelona and Catalunya in general but gently caress me are they backwards here sometimes when it comes to casual racism. Every time I hear people here say "Vamos al Paki" (Let's go to the Paki shop) I loving shudder. I'm now also seriously tempted to buy a cheap guitar and kit it out to sound amazing as a project during the summer holiday. Ah well, the fury has subsided as I'm now playing through my Vox amp and it sounds sweet as can be so now it's time to switch from acoustic fingerstyle into rock and jazz.

drat I thought barcelona would be better than that, the rest of spain considers them a bunch of hippies. Just wondering, is every asian person called "chino" over there? I used to live in seville and I thought casual racism was just a common thing in the south parts of countries. How are the guitar stores over there? I only knew of one electric shop in all of seville and it was in the affluent neighborhood two blocks away from where sevilla FC play.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Catalunya is too rich to be hippies IMO.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Fine, nouveau hippies. You know, trust fund kids who blow all their parents money on designer drugs.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

frytechnician posted:

Like Mexicans aren't making all those $1000+ MIA Fenders at the Corona factory.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What's the going rate of a used Orange 212 closeback?

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

muike posted:

You know, these rarely seem to come up. I'm a bit stumped... New it's $750, refurbs are just above $600. Used in pretty good condition should probably sell around $500 just on its used market rarity.

It only has Vintage 30s in it so, like anything Orange, half the price is paying for the name and tolex. Hard to get a good deal on Orange stuff really, but I love the look of Orange stuff myself so I can't bitch.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Francostein posted:

drat I thought barcelona would be better than that, the rest of spain considers them a bunch of hippies. Just wondering, is every asian person called "chino" over there? I used to live in seville and I thought casual racism was just a common thing in the south parts of countries. How are the guitar stores over there? I only knew of one electric shop in all of seville and it was in the affluent neighborhood two blocks away from where sevilla FC play.

To answer your questions and not derail is tricky but here goes. Basically, every oriental person is yeah, pretty much labeled as "chino", black guys "niggers" , South Americans "sudacas" and tourists in general "giris". Not everyone of course says this, it's more the people 50 or older and depending on the context, it isn't considered offensive even though it blatantly is. The general negative stereotype Spain has of Catalunya is that everyone here is a money-grabbing tight-wad with no sense of humour who only speak Catalan to annoy the Spanish.

The guitar shopping in Spain is generally pretty poor. There are 3 or 4 guitar shops here and while they have some nice stuff, the markup in price is fierce. Basically, as a rule of thumb, whatever the price of the guitar is in dollars will be euros here. The only reason I bought a guitar fom the shop was after heeding the advice of everyone telling me that you should never buy a guitar without trying it in the store first. It sucks but at least I can buy pedals online!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

frytechnician posted:

To answer your questions and not derail is tricky but here goes. Basically, every oriental person is yeah, pretty much labeled as "chino", black guys "niggers" , South Americans "sudacas" and tourists in general "giris". Not everyone of course says this, it's more the people 50 or older and depending on the context, it isn't considered offensive even though it blatantly is. The general negative stereotype Spain has of Catalunya is that everyone here is a money-grabbing tight-wad with no sense of humour who only speak Catalan to annoy the Spanish.

The guitar shopping in Spain is generally pretty poor. There are 3 or 4 guitar shops here and while they have some nice stuff, the markup in price is fierce. Basically, as a rule of thumb, whatever the price of the guitar is in dollars will be euros here. The only reason I bought a guitar fom the shop was after heeding the advice of everyone telling me that you should never buy a guitar without trying it in the store first. It sucks but at least I can buy pedals online!

Yup, that's the spain I know. Beautiful country, but socially stuck in the middle ages (like the american south).

But as to the guitar shops, consider that raised price a premium for being able to pick the exact one you wanted and felt right to you. The cost of living for basic necessities is really cheap in Spain, but any luxuries like electronics or specific things can cost you a second mortgage. Which reminds me, my old strat is still over there. I should really get around to getting it back one of these days.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I realized this evening that my poor practice habits have lead to lazy lazy fingers. Ol' index and ringy are doing all the work, middle occasionally joining in while pinky just sits there and atrophies.

As such I'm trying to develop myself a little finger workout to get all those fingers poking in the right places. So far I've come up with a simple pattern that I remember seeing somewhere before (finger one fret one, finger two fret two and so on) and added some open string notes between to make it more aurally and rhythmically pleasing. So it looks a little like this:

0-1-0-2-0-3-0-4

I figure I can do that backwards as well, maybe a little up and down, a couple of non-sequential patterns as my fingers start to get into it. The question is how long do I want to be doing something like this for and how can I make it a little more interesting instead of just feeling like a training exercise?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

muike posted:

I've bought two off Craigslist recently and negotiated both down to $300/$350.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

I make it a little more interesting instead of just feeling like a training exercise?

Fade to Black tab I saw some where posted:

|------------------------|------------------------|
|-------0----------------|-------0----------------|
|----4-----4-----4-----4-|----4-----4-----4-----4-|
|-2-----------2-----5----|-0-----------0-----5----|

This pattern helped me develop my pinky a bit.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
If you don't want to do exercises just play power chords with your index and pinky.

But it wouldn't hurt to do trills with every combination of fingers as a quick warmup. It also helps with dexterity too.

Like so starting in first position and going up and down for as long as you can stand it:

|1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2|1-3-1-3-1-3-1-3|1-4-1-4-1-4-1-4|2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3|2-4-2-4-2-4-2-4|3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4|

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 27, 2013

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

iostream.h posted:

Hmmm. That's a pretty fair used price (i.e.: below half). Where are you located if you don't mind my asking and what was the condition like?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

iostream.h posted:

God drat dude. Guess I'll keep an eye on CL.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

RetardedRobots posted:

Hmmm. That's a pretty fair used price (i.e.: below half). Where are you located if you don't mind my asking and what was the condition like?
Birmingham, AL, both in absolutely perfect condition.
I think I've bought a total of 4 or 5 at that price over the past couple of years, I absolutely love that particular cab but every time I grab one someone offers me more than I paid so I sell it, then regret it, then get another one.

Now that I've got my mini-stack with my Jubilee I'm so loving not selling these.

They actually come up fairly often around here, if you're anywhere close to being local I can keep an eye out for you.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 28, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I guess Alabama has something going for it after all!!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

KildarX posted:

This pattern helped me develop my pinky a bit.

comes along bort posted:

If you don't want to do exercises just play power chords with your index and pinky.

But it wouldn't hurt to do trills with every combination of fingers as a quick warmup. It also helps with dexterity too.

Like so starting in first position and going up and down for as long as you can stand it:

|1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2|1-3-1-3-1-3-1-3|1-4-1-4-1-4-1-4|2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3|2-4-2-4-2-4-2-4|3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4|

Thanks a lot for your input guys, I tried these out today and my fingers are killing me so they must be doing something!

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD
I need some acoustic guitar recommendations. I have some nice electric guitars, but I've only had a low end $100 Yamaha acoustic that I barely play. I want to upgrade to something nicer, but I don't want a $1200 Taylor. Just something that sounds good, is hopefully solid wood, and is around $500 or so. I would use it for mostly blues type stuff. I've been looking at a Takamine G340SC since the price seems good and I like the cutaway. I somewhat remember reading that Takamine was a decent mid range guitar somewhere?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/takamine-g340sc-solid-top-cutaway-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar

Samael Jackson fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 29, 2013

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Samael Jackson posted:

I need some acoustic guitar recommendations. I have some nice electric guitars, but I've only had a low end $100 Yamaha acoustic that I barely play. I want to upgrade to something nicer, but I don't want a $1200 Taylor. Just something that sounds good, is hopefully solid wood, and is around $500 or so. I would use it for mostly blues type stuff. I've been looking at a Takamine G340SC since the price seems good and I like the cutaway. I somewhat remember reading that Takamine was a decent mind range guitar somewhere?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/takamine-g340sc-solid-top-cutaway-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar

I have this http://www.recordingking.com/products/guitars-all-models/guitars-ros06 the 12 fret 000 might not be your thing and I can't speak for any other Recording Kings but mine is killer. Great finger picking sound, I also use it for slide, I got it at cost for something stupid like $180 new but I think they retail for around $250. It holds its own against my $2,400 Taylor, I mean they sound NOTHING alike but I like the way they both sound a lot. Poke around the Recording K

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Samael Jackson posted:

I need some acoustic guitar recommendations. I have some nice electric guitars, but I've only had a low end $100 Yamaha acoustic that I barely play. I want to upgrade to something nicer, but I don't want a $1200 Taylor. Just something that sounds good, is hopefully solid wood, and is around $500 or so. I would use it for mostly blues type stuff. I've been looking at a Takamine G340SC since the price seems good and I like the cutaway. I somewhat remember reading that Takamine was a decent mind range guitar somewhere?

I'm a big fan of Breedlove stuff, and they've got stuff around that price range. A Passport CM250 retails for about 500 and your local guitar center probably carries them.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Samael Jackson posted:

I need some acoustic guitar recommendations. I have some nice electric guitars, but I've only had a low end $100 Yamaha acoustic that I barely play. I want to upgrade to something nicer, but I don't want a $1200 Taylor. Just something that sounds good, is hopefully solid wood, and is around $500 or so. I would use it for mostly blues type stuff. I've been looking at a Takamine G340SC since the price seems good and I like the cutaway. I somewhat remember reading that Takamine was a decent mid range guitar somewhere?

I've got a Takamine G Series, not the one you linked though. I can never remember the exact model number but it's an electric-acoustic with a built in tuner and I absolutely love it. I think I paid about five or six hundred for it and it was worth every penny. It has a bright sound to it that I love, but I know not everyone digs that. Always try before you buy, but I think Takamine is brand you can trust once you find one that sounds to your liking.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Guild, Yamaha, Alvarez have great guitars in the 500 dollar range.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm a big fan of Breedlove stuff, and they've got stuff around that price range. A Passport CM250 retails for about 500 and your local guitar center probably carries them.

I'm gonna second the Passports, I've had one for a year or so now and it is amazing. I've played guitars at twice the price that haven't sounded nearly as good.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Samael Jackson posted:

I've got a few mid-range Fenders ($300-$400ish) that might interest you. They're a definite step up but not anything crazy.
If you want I can snap a couple of pics this weekend for you.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Fender has refreshed their Modern Player with a Mustang sporting P90s and the tremelo that they left off the Pawn Shop version. They're also using the same red finish that the new Guilds are using.

I still don't understand why they'd release a Jag/Jazz without the electronics.

http://www.fender.com/series/modern-player/

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 29, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I still don't understand why they'd release a Jag/Jazz without the electronics.

I think at this point Fender is just using the Mad-Lib approach to guitar construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Offsets are cool as hell, but just call it something else. :spergin: