Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Vincent posted:

So Omega Force finally went ahead and made Wei Yan Blanka, Huang Gai into Zhangief and Xu Shu into the three kingdoms-period assasin from china (all three of these things are awesome). Just finished the Shu storyline and decided to mess around with ambition mode. Got Lu Bu on the first battle :allears: Does anyone have any tips for getting materials?

Get the Barracks maxed out as soon as possible and spend 10k to send troops to Yi Province (I think) for materials.
Do nothing but Skirmishes. Don't worry about getting Allies or Fame, you'll max those out incredibly easily.
Unlock the Stables and get it maxed out. Stables can earn you materials as well.
Also, max out the Smith. Order should be Barracks > Stables > Smith.
Don't worry about getting max fame/allies and unlocking the Academy. Yes, you can buy stats/exp with gold, but there's a really simple exploit you can do to level characters up if that's your inclination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5wakhCbFeM

(You can skip the first 10 minutes of this video or so. The way the glitch works is you go to Battle of Baidi Castle, which is unlocked doing the Wei Hypotheticals, stop the fire attack, then head down to where Yueying is. Beat her ASAP while all the battle message spam is going on. This'll glitch out the juggernaut spawning, and they'll keep spawning. Go around and pick off all the officers and do the other events, then go back and kill juggernauts. Equip the Throwing Axes to spam attacks in the corner and get mass EXP.

The juggernauts won't spawn if there's any system messages, (100 KOs, officer praising you, battle text, etc.) but will as soon as the message has passed.)

Chortles posted:

who do you know from Dynasty Warriors who can shut children up with his name?

Gan Ning? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Thanks!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Are all the 5 star weapon unlocks heaven affinity or am I just pretty unlucky so far? I'd really like to roll with two.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Vincent posted:

So Omega Force finally went ahead and made Wei Yan Blanka, Huang Gai into Zhangief and Xu Shu into the three kingdoms-period assasin from china (all three of these things are awesome). Just finished the Shu storyline and decided to mess around with ambition mode. Got Lu Bu on the first battle :allears: Does anyone have any tips for getting materials?

Funny, I thought - based on his 3rd Musou - that Meng Huo was Zangief. Also, you forgot Jia Xu, who's actually Hanzo Hattori in disguise.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Perdido posted:

Get the Barracks maxed out as soon as possible and spend 10k to send troops to Yi Province (I think) for materials.
Do nothing but Skirmishes. Don't worry about getting Allies or Fame, you'll max those out incredibly easily.
Unlock the Stables and get it maxed out. Stables can earn you materials as well.
Also, max out the Smith. Order should be Barracks > Stables > Smith.
Don't worry about getting max fame/allies and unlocking the Academy. Yes, you can buy stats/exp with gold, but there's a really simple exploit you can do to level characters up if that's your inclination:

Also, DON'T UPGRADE THE MERCHANT.

When you start, it gives you 2 facility materials for every weapon material. But for some reason, after you upgrade it a bunch, it only gives you 1 :iiam:

(I mean, it lowers the facility->weapon conversion to 1:1, but who gives a gently caress about that?)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Chortles posted:

At this point I suspect that it's deliberate character sabotage by a Wei fan on the writing team, that's how bad Shu is in DW7-8. (The point is, read The Ravages of Time dammit)

Man, I don't know. I've read through the first six chapters and the translation is a million times worse than any dialog I've gotten from any Koei game, and some of it seems like the base writing is either really bad or whoever is translating is taking a lot of liberties with it.

Some times it isn't so much bad as it is really strange though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On Shuchat, as near as I can tell, each faction as interpreted by Dynasty Warriors tries to operate according to an ideal. Wei prioritises the kingdom through ruthless utilitarianism and the fetishism of merit. Wu prioritises the family and personal loyalty, with all of its officers serving as extensions of the Sun clan. Shu's 'benevolence', meanwhile, prioritises the people - they're characterised through mission objectives, camp dialogue, and so on as looking out for the little guy, the peasants trampled underfoot by the wars of the Later Han. All three eventually betray these ideals - Wei collapses into decadence and incompetence, Wu embarks on a marathon backstab-a-thon, and whilst Shu's crimes against its people are hard to list in their entirety, slaughtering thousands of them and ruining their country through their pointless grudgematch with Wei is probably a good place to start. Jin, meanwhile (again, as interpreted by Dynasty Warriors) renounces all these ideals in favour of straightforward, pragmatic ambition, and through this accomplishes them all far better than the other factions ever could. Their nation is mighty enough and sufficiently filled with talent to conquer China, the Sima clan is a strong, loving family (in their own affectionately bitchy sort of way), and they make life better for their citizens in a way Shu's hollow promises never could, which is why Liu Shan surrenders to them.

drat, that's a lot of words about the story and themes of a series about anime Chinese dudes murderin' each other with gatling guns and drill-lances.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Her alternate is a single-target grab, and it does...middling damage on that target, kind of a waste of several seconds if you're pressed to complete an objective quickly.

If nothing else, I appreciate the almost casual nutshot she adds to the grab.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Perdido posted:

Gan Ning? :haw:
Not so much... the guy in question worked for Lu Bu. On the other hand, we get a Gan Ning and Huang Zhong team-up against the forces of Wu. :black101:

Jibo posted:

Man, I don't know. I've read through the first six chapters and the translation is a million times worse than any dialog I've gotten from any Koei game, and some of it seems like the base writing is either really bad or whoever is translating is taking a lot of liberties with it.
It's gone through multiple translation teams, and the (unfortunate) first one on top of its "taking a lot of liberties" also had a hilariously bad habit of transliterating instead of translating (believe me you'll be so glad when gongzi is finally replaced with "young master" for good). For comparison, here's what "Xiahou Dun gets his signature feature" looks like in contrast. Thankfully, changes are noticeable both in art and in translation before chapter 50 (Ravages' take on Lu Bu vs. the Peach Garden Oath Brothers, which is hilarious when you realize that Guan Yu is pulling the strings).

According to the reviewer thereof, the first few volumes suffer from "the author obviously didn't think it would last very long and tried to cram a whole lot of stuff into a single battle against Dong Zhuo, introducing characters and situations who properly shouldn't have shown up until later. Plus there was a larger focus on the fighting, as opposed to the later volumes which had more character and strategy bits. When the series became popular, he ended up having to fix a whole lot so that the story could continue as it did in the novel, but by the time they get to the death of Dong Zhuo it's all pretty much back on track".

Jibo posted:

Some times it isn't so much bad as it is really strange though.

For that... you gotta zoom out to where Dong Zhuo has just barged into court and is sitting on the prior Emperor, making him the "chair" for "Dong Zhuo's empire".

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Stelas posted:

If nothing else, I appreciate the almost casual nutshot she adds to the grab.

It's true, that musou does rank up there for "most personal attack" of the game.

Chortles posted:

Not so much... the guy in question worked for Lu Bu. On the other hand, we get a Gan Ning and Huang Zhong team-up against the forces of Wu. :black101:

I wouldn't have gotten the real answer to this if I wasn't just reminded of it the other day in Ambition Mode dialog. It's Zhang Liao! :neckbeard:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I wouldn't have gotten the real answer to this if I wasn't just reminded of it the other day in Ambition Mode dialog. It's Zhang Liao! :neckbeard:
Fun thing is, even before Changban, it's referenced twenty years before Hefei. :haw:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

abagofcheetos posted:

Also, DON'T UPGRADE THE MERCHANT.

When you start, it gives you 2 facility materials for every weapon material. But for some reason, after you upgrade it a bunch, it only gives you 1 :iiam:

(I mean, it lowers the facility->weapon conversion to 1:1, but who gives a gently caress about that?)
I still can't believe how badly that part of the game was designed. This game was well supported with patches and stuff for months after release, I kept expecting them to make that part not bullshit anymore, but they didn't.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Okay, which one of you is hiding out on Tumblr? :colbert:

quote:

Anytime I think “Wow some of these outfits are bad" in a game, I remember Kessen 2 was still an amazing, dumb, beautiful, stupid thing that happened and think “You know at least it’s not that."

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Chortles posted:

I forgot about that part. I said Gan Ning because of the story about his murdering a servant boy under Lu Meng's protection.

EDIT: Also, for those of you mucking around in Ambition Mode, it seems that assigning supervisors does have a benefit. You can sometimes get materials from them. The only one that has worked thus far has been Xu Zhu in charge of the Farm.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 27, 2013

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Could I get a clarification on how to level up Rage Springs? I've killed a lot of officers in Rage mode so far, and the thing is still level 1. Do you have to kill them in a specific manner?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Try using the Musou in Rage mode if you haven't already. Most of the time a lot of other skills are going to get in the way and get raised instead, and also the RNG often flips us the bird and doesn't give any skill-up at all despite fulfilling a condition.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Chortles posted:

Okay, which one of you is hiding out on Tumblr? :colbert:

Gee I wonder.

And Kessen 2 is still an amazing, dumb, beautiful, stupid thing that people should play in my opinion. :colbert:

The GIG fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 28, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Man I think Wang Yi's air musou is one of my favorite moves in the game. I especially love it when it's the last attack on an Ambition officer.

"Sure, I'll join your army! Er... could you un-staple me from the ground first? Please?"

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

OatmealRaisin posted:

Man I think Wang Yi's air musou is one of my favorite moves in the game. I especially love it when it's the last attack on an Ambition officer.

"Sure, I'll join your army! Er... could you un-staple me from the ground first? Please?"

It's a shame though that for her ground musous it's either "Kinda Okay" or "Looks Cool But is poo poo".

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
Well, the copy I finally broke down and bought showed up today. Whoever suggested I ignore those videos and buy it anyways is a wonderful, wonderful person. I've barely noticed any slowdown, and any slowdown I've noticed is when I'm doing co-op. This game is so over the top, even for a Dynasty Warriors game.

I'm in love :allears:

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I will consider it over the top when they finally have an opening movie with Zhao Yun kick-flipping a horse like it was skate 3.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Zhang He weapon unlock: Run out and kill Zhao Yun and Zhang Bao, then Ma Dai, not Wei Yan like that unlocks thread says.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

chunkles posted:

Zhang He weapon unlock: Run out and kill Zhao Yun and Zhang Bao, then Ma Dai, not Wei Yan like that unlocks thread says.
You know the game tell you all the unlock conditions in the gallery right ?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Dantes posted:

You know the game tell you all the unlock conditions in the gallery right ?

No I did not. :buddy:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have been playing DW7 for the campaign, and the way the story is structured really beats 8, though there are aspects of gameplay that I miss.

I figure that I could play 7 for the story then 8 for the gameplay. Also, is it just me or does Musou charge faster in 7 than in 8?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I was really happy to find that the new Storm Rush system made weapons like the Throwing Knives more useful for Wang Yuanji and pals, only to have my 7 year old PS3 sputter and die. I guess DW8 was a good send off. Looks like I'm working all the way through Story and Ambition modes again in a few weeks :negative:

Unlucky7 posted:

I have been playing DW7 for the campaign, and the way the story is structured really beats 8, though there are aspects of gameplay that I miss.

I figure that I could play 7 for the story then 8 for the gameplay. Also, is it just me or does Musou charge faster in 7 than in 8?

It might be a little faster since I would guess they tuned 8 to accommodate for the skill system, but I didn't notice too large of a difference.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I was really happy to find that the new Storm Rush system made weapons like the Throwing Knives more useful for Wang Yuanji and pals, only to have my 7 year old PS3 sputter and die. I guess DW8 was a good send off. Looks like I'm working all the way through Story and Ambition modes again in a few weeks :negative:
Not if the HDD itself is intact and recoverable! :haw:

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

The GIG posted:

It's a shame though that for her ground musous it's either "Kinda Okay" or "Looks Cool But is poo poo".
The main point of her 1st ground musou is to just immediately follow up with the air musou :colbert:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Chortles posted:

Not if the HDD itself is intact and recoverable! :haw:

If I could actually boot the thing, I'd back the save up to PS+ in a heartbeat but no such luck.

dj_de posted:

The main point of her 1st ground musou is to just immediately follow up with the air musou :colbert:

Correct. If you're not breakdancing on the corpse of a foe to end a Wang Yi combo you shouldn't have even bothered.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

The GIG posted:

Gee I wonder.

And Kessen 2 is still an amazing, dumb, beautiful, stupid thing that people should play in my opinion. :colbert:

I wholly second this endorsement. If you can't find a copy, find another way to enjoy this crazy son of a game.

Also, anyone got any tips for using Chakrams? My main bnbs have been
C2(one hit)>c4>switch
C2(one hit) or C5>C6(ex if SSX)>Musou or Switch

But I've not really been really finding anything else.

Straight bow is def my 2ndary of choice, though

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Dj Meow Mix posted:

If I could actually boot the thing, I'd back the save up to PS+ in a heartbeat but no such luck.
I'm referring to the physical HDD, throw it into a new PS3.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Chortles posted:

I'm referring to the physical HDD, throw it into a new PS3.

It'll ask you to format it and refuse to boot otherwise.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

kirbysuperstar posted:

It'll ask you to format it and refuse to boot otherwise.

Yeah, situation blows and I should have been prepared for it. Oh well, more Three Kingdoms/Ravages of Time/PSO2 time I guess.

Trollhawke posted:

Also, anyone got any tips for using Chakrams? My main bnbs have been
C2(one hit)>c4>switch
C2(one hit) or C5>C6(ex if SSX)>Musou or Switch

I generally stick with the latter, I prefer Ding Feng's Chakram now though since his EX attack is just poetic.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
So all I had to do to get Sima Shi's 5th Lightning Sword was ride out to the point where the javelin guy appears, then ride back to the base to reach the cutscene?

Why did I not do this sooner arrgghhh so many of my other officers could have had a better time with their own weapons :negative:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Trollhawke posted:

I wholly second this endorsement. If you can't find a copy, find another way to enjoy this crazy son of a game.

It's on PSN so anyone with internet and a PS3 has no excuse.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still can't believe how badly that part of the game was designed. This game was well supported with patches and stuff for months after release, I kept expecting them to make that part not bullshit anymore, but they didn't.

Its stuff like this that don't really make me want to give Ambition Mode a chance. Is it really that bad?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Got Dynasty Warriors 8 the other day and that opening cinematic is ridiculous in all the best ways :allears:

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Hey, just wondering: is Sengoku Musou 3 import-friendly or am I poo poo out of luck? I liked the previous two games a lot but no way in hell am I getting a Wii for it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Doflamingo posted:

Hey, just wondering: is Sengoku Musou 3 import-friendly or am I poo poo out of luck? I liked the previous two games a lot but no way in hell am I getting a Wii for it.

There are translation guides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Unlucky7 posted:

Its stuff like this that don't really make me want to give Ambition Mode a chance. Is it really that bad?

Well, the purpose of the change in Merchant materials exchange rate is likely for convenience for maxing out weapons with your customized properties on them. Ambition Mode is basically grinding a lot of really short battles on maps you've already visited before in Story Mode, and its main use outside of itself is to serve as a weapon shop outside of having to play Story Mode stages (but you can just "Play All" a Chaos Mode stage with a base anyways, save then quit) and for customizing a 4-star weapon with all the good properties.