Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011
Hello L&LS megathread. It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you, without a dope beat to step to, etc.

I was a 3L/4E student at GULC, but I had what I now realize was a total nervous breakdown and pretty much withdrew myself from school. I wrote a cursory email to the Dean of Students explaining that I was "taking an academic hiatus for a year", impliedly to go work in Afghanistan for the year (which I did). Believe it or not, getting shot at with mortar rounds was a far more relaxing environment for me than GULC.

Unfortunately, that "year long hiatus" has turned into almost three years, and I wanted to ask fellow law goons what my options are. I've already sunk three years into the program and feel completely foolish for quitting in my last year. It seems doubtful to me that GULC will actually take me back: what about transferring my credits to another school, is that an option? Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

Hello L&LS megathread. It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you, without a dope beat to step to, etc.

I was a 3L/4E student at GULC, but I had what I now realize was a total nervous breakdown and pretty much withdrew myself from school. I wrote a cursory email to the Dean of Students explaining that I was "taking an academic hiatus for a year", impliedly to go work in Afghanistan for the year (which I did). Believe it or not, getting shot at with mortar rounds was a far more relaxing environment for me than GULC.

Unfortunately, that "year long hiatus" has turned into almost three years, and I wanted to ask fellow law goons what my options are. I've already sunk three years into the program and feel completely foolish for quitting in my last year. It seems doubtful to me that GULC will actually take me back: what about transferring my credits to another school, is that an option? Thanks in advance.

You're... free...

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Do you think finding a job in this market, after a years hiatus, and actually practicing are LESS likely to give you a nervous breakdown than law school?

Because, uh...

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

I don't know why you would want to go back, but I'm sure GULC has some sort of rule about how long you can take to finish the program. At my school we have 7 years and I think we are automatically readmitted as long as we are in good standing and notify the school in advance of when we want to return.

E: I pulled up GULC's part time requirements and it looks like you would have to petition to get back in since it would take you more than 6 full years to graduate from when you started. Seriously though, just be glad you got out.

Artic Puma fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 27, 2013

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

I've already sunk three years into the program and feel completely foolish for quitting in my last year. It seems doubtful to me that GULC will actually take me back: what about transferring my credits to another school, is that an option? Thanks in advance.

Classic sunk cost fallacy. You're not going to get back the time or the money you blew on law school by blowing more time and money completing law school. Don't do it. Your resume will be covered in red flags and your diploma will bear the name of some TTT shithole scam school, so your chances of landing and keeping a job practicing law are slim. Dude, you had a breakdown in law school. You preferred the constant threat of sudden death from above to law school. Law school, at least in my very limited experience, is far easier than practicing law with none of the real-world consequences if you gently caress up. Why do you think you will be better equipped to handle the practice of law than you are to handle law school?

Accepting that law school was the biggest mistake of your life and learning to cope with the regret is a process, that, barring heaps of good fortune (or a non-neurotic personality; given that you went to law school and had a nervous breakdown there, I'm guessing that isn't the case), can take years. Sorry, dude. Every day is a struggle to forgive myself, so I feel your pain.

Consider yourself lucky you saved an extra year of tuition. Take 2% of what you would pay for that 4th year (let's say $700) and buy yourself something nice as a reward for not going back to law school. Then think about how you can have forty nine more of whatever you just got thanks to avoiding year four of law school.

Unamuno fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 27, 2013

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Eminent Domain posted:

Well, there. Louisiana bar done, now to attempt to return to a normal life after that poo poo week.
Congrats on being done with that bullshit hazing ritual!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Solid Lizzie posted:

Congrats on being done with that bullshit hazing ritual!

Seconding the congrats. I looked up LA's bar info since it didn't have the MBE on it and holy poo poo does that sound like a bad time.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dude, my life as a lawyer is 30 times more difficult than it was in law school. The difference was that in law school, I had time to obsess over all the poo poo I had to do instead of actually doing it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

prussian advisor posted:

Do you really think the former would make a substantial difference? Every state whose criminal procedure laws I'm even remotely familiar with has very clearly delineated limits on speedy trial that the prosecution can't overcome on their own. In my experience, every non-trivial case that requires actual prep work by the defense attorney results in the defendant (through his attorney) waiving his right to speedy trial and getting continuance after continuance. The ratio of times I've seen prosecutors trying (and often failing) to push cases to trial versus defense attorneys trying to do it is at least 20:1. Then again, I've been a prosecutor for two years now and I've literally never once moved to continue a case.

Can't argue with you about the latter, though. I'd like to see public defenders and prosecutors offices (as well as the judiciary and clerks of courts) get more funding.

California has real, hard limits that are hard to break for more than a week or so. (30 for in custody misdos, 45 for out. 10 for prelim, 60 for felony trial)
We routinely get cases dismissed if the DA doesn't have enough bodies/time or witnesses on the day in question.
Your state has a fairly notoriously underfunded/understaffed PDs offices (seriously, elected PDs in not San Francisco is insane), with effective pds with somewhat less insane understaffing, real time limits can gently caress poo poo up.

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011
Unamuno absolutely hit the nail on the head: sunken costs fallacy it is, and I do in fact consider law school to have been the single biggest mistake of my adult life. It's just that I'm completely tired of the industry I'm already in (business risk analysis) and wanted to get some sort of actually marketable skills that don't confine me to this drat occupation. Finishing up my law degree and hanging up my own shingle as an ambulance chaser at the very lowest was starting to appeal to me...

But, you guys are absolutely right: if I couldn't handle law school, then actual practice will eat me alive. I used to follow CaptainScraps's posts pretty regularly, stunned by all the work he had to do *while in school*, so I'm shocked to hear that it's only grown worse. Thanks for the refreser onthe purgatorial nature of legal practice, everyone, and try not to die alone.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I would just suggest that law school clearly didn't make you happy or healthy. Signing on for that again seems like asking for extra punishment, especially when you stare down the next phase of the process.

You went, you learned, you learned about yourself. And you survived. That's what counts in the end. A change of fields might be warranted, but that doesn't mean you need to go back to the thing that made you so miserable.

You broke up with law school. You moved on and it sounds like you're better for it. Don't go back to the ex.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Unamuno absolutely hit the nail on the head: sunken costs fallacy it is, and I do in fact consider law school to have been the single biggest mistake of my adult life. It's just that I'm completely tired of the industry I'm already in (business risk analysis) and wanted to get some sort of actually marketable skills that don't confine me to this drat occupation. Finishing up my law degree and hanging up my own shingle as an ambulance chaser at the very lowest was starting to appeal to me...

But, you guys are absolutely right: if I couldn't handle law school, then actual practice will eat me alive. I used to follow CaptainScraps's posts pretty regularly, stunned by all the work he had to do *while in school*, so I'm shocked to hear that it's only grown worse. Thanks for the refreser onthe purgatorial nature of legal practice, everyone, and try not to die alone.

Yes, ignore past costs, look at what it will cost you from this point forward to finish school and get barred, and what benefits may come your way as a consequence. It may be worth it to you to get a completed GULC degree and decades of admission to the Bar.

I'm not sure there is a link between burning out of law school and how you'll feel toward actual practice of law. When a practicing lawyer tells a non-lawyer how difficult the job is, maybe they are just pumping up their own ego.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003

Who doesn't love a happy ending?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Unamuno is always up for getting breakfast at this local diner place that is super delicious. Captain Scraps is so busy that he doesn't respond to texts and I worry that he might be dead. Don't become Captain Scraps.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Lote posted:

Unamuno is always up for getting breakfast at this local diner place that is super delicious. Captain Scraps is so busy that he doesn't respond to texts and I worry that he might be dead. Don't become Captain Scraps.

I'm still alive. And I miss you.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the LA bar is something special, along with being a roller coaster of agony and poolside drinking to cope. Now the waiting game for results begins.

Also yes, don't go to (or back to) law school.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Lote posted:

what place?

Unamuno
May 31, 2003

Lote posted:

I wouldn't say "always," it's not like I'm awake before noon every day.

The Cracked Egg in Henderson, NV.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
I know the MPT is supposed to be a huge joke but I did a practice one anyway and submitted it to Barbri on July 3rd and got it back today. Hey, thanks for the prompt response, Barbz. I look forward to correcting these errors on the real exam.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Yo so is anything happening with the fantasy league? I'm glad Pitta broke his butt before the draft, though.

And also, anyone want to do some sort of Fitocracy challenge in our group?

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Working on the league setup now. Sent out the renewal notices, but if you don't want to play let me know ASAP so I can remove your team and get the players back into the draft pool. THIS IS A KEEPER LEAGUE. MAX OF 3 KEEPERS PER TEAM.

Who's in this year?
- me
- SV
- CmdrSmirnoff

Season starts September 5. Draft will likely be at least two weeks before that. Keeper deadline a few days before draft time. Current keeper deadline: August 23.
Current draft date: August 25, 8:30pm CDT.

tau fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 29, 2013

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

tau posted:

Working on the league setup now. Sent out the renewal notices, but if you don't want to play let me know ASAP so I can remove your team and get the players back into the draft pool. THIS IS A KEEPER LEAGUE. MAX OF 3 KEEPERS PER TEAM.

Who's in this year?
- me
- SV
- CmdrSmirnoff

Season starts September 5. Draft will likely be at least two weeks before that. Keeper deadline a few days before draft time. Current keeper deadline: August 23.

Money?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I resigned up through the email you sent. Forgot how bad my team was.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Maybe? Who wants a money league? I don't know how to set a money league up, but willing to try.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Solid Lizzie posted:

I know the MPT is supposed to be a huge joke but I did a practice one anyway and submitted it to Barbri on July 3rd and got it back today. Hey, thanks for the prompt response, Barbz. I look forward to correcting these errors on the real exam.

For real though, how'd you do? I enter the arena on Tuesday, and I can't decide if I should do a PT tomorrow or just skim outlines. I did the video lecture PT, wrote a decent answer, and have since totally ignored that poo poo.

A Tasteful Nude fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 9, 2014

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

tau posted:

Who's in this year?
- me
- SV
- CmdrSmirnoff

I'm in if there's room for new people.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

tau posted:

Maybe? Who wants a money league? I don't know how to set a money league up, but willing to try.

If it's real money not really. If it's, like, a salary cap thing, sure let's do it.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

A_Ruse! posted:

For real though, how'd you do? I enter the arena on Tuesday, and I can't decide if I should do a PT tomorrow or just skim outlines. I did the video lecture PT, wrote a decent answer, and have since totally ignored that poo poo in favor of trying to figure out why the gently caress Pennsylvania wants me to memorize DUI law.

It's one of those "for the good of the company" subjects. Like employment discrimination and family law; they're just keeping you out of the papers.

I'm taking it in Harrisburg tomorrow. Kill me.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Sulecrist posted:

I'm taking it in Harrisburg tomorrow. Kill me.
I got you beat: Roanoke.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tau posted:

Who's in this year?
- me
- SV
- CmdrSmirnoff

I'm in. One thing I'm unclear on: is there any advantage to not taking the full amount of keepers (e.g. extra picks and the like, and where do those fall - at the end or at the beginning?). Not that it matters of course considering the vast amount of excellent players I have that I'll have to let fall to the hoi polli since I can only keep three.

edit: We seem to have an autopick draft set which blows that should get changed.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 29, 2013

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

tau posted:

Who's in this year?
- me
- SV
- CmdrSmirnoff

Obviously I'm in.

In other news, you all may recall that a law firm hosed me over a few weeks ago. After that happened I was sent into a fit of mass resume sending rage. I applied to a consulting firm among other places. They interviewed me two Fridays ago and offered me last Friday. Base pay is lower but bonuses are higher. I've asked for a slight bump in base and they're going to get back to me tomorrow. If it comes through (and probably even if it doesn't), GOODBYE LAW!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Living the dream.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

HiddenReplaced posted:

Obviously I'm in.

In other news, you all may recall that a law firm hosed me over a few weeks ago. After that happened I was sent into a fit of mass resume sending rage. I applied to a consulting firm among other places. They interviewed me two Fridays ago and offered me last Friday. Base pay is lower but bonuses are higher. I've asked for a slight bump in base and they're going to get back to me tomorrow. If it comes through (and probably even if it doesn't), GOODBYE LAW!

Good luck.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

tau posted:

Who's in this year?
- me
- SV
- CmdrSmirnoff

gently caress yes :hf:

HiddenReplaced posted:

Obviously I'm in.

gently caress yes x2 :hf:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Lincoln Lawyer, non-Hollywood version.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just bought my first book of legislation. One single act in 1000+ pages. I feel I've crossed some sort of line of demarcation.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Uuugh, less than 12 hours to the start of the bar. Not excited. Prepared, hopefully, but not excited.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You know what sucks more than the bar? The next 3 months or so.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

nm posted:

You know what sucks more than the bar? The next 3 months or so.

The rest of your legal career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm in for Fantasy again. I'll try to do better about actually maintaining my team this year since I won't be moving or anything.

Congrats on the consulting gig HR. What does a consultant actually do all day anyway?